Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French bus driver slaps teenager for disrespect

Options
  • 20-09-2018 5:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Video going viral at the moment, reportedly filmed in Arcueil, Paris on September 13th

A 12 year old boy runs across the road forcing a bus driver to brake hard. When the bus driver beeps at him and tells him to pay attention the boy allegedly tells him to "shut up and move on". This is where the recording starts. The driver gets out of the bus, walks across the street and slaps the boy across the face.

Police are now involved and the RATP (bus company) have initiated disciplinary proceedings against the bus driver. His colleagues started a petition on social media asking for him not to be sacked, it has reached nearly 300,000 signatures with many people saying the boy deserved to be hit for being careless and disrespectful. RATP have said the bus driver admitted he reacted emotionally and regrets his actions.

Personally I think the bus drivers actions are disgraceful and he should never have hit a child for mouthing off to him, whatever you may think about the boy being rude it doesn't justify a slap in the face.

Do you think the boy got what he deserved and would you sign the petition to help the driver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

You forgot to add the link to the petition!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

No brainer really. You can't slap a child even if he is a little twat. A driver or anyone working with the public knows the professional and personal consequences for such actions. Sack and prosecute him. Social media and petitions have no place deciding if we should follow the basic rule of law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Personally I think the bus drivers actions are disgraceful and he should never have hit a child for mouthing off to him, whatever you may think about the boy being rude it doesn't justify a slap in the face.

He should get a bloody medal. Too many little shits being let run riot with no fear of consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Video going viral at the moment, reportedly filmed in Arcueil, Paris on September 13th

A 12 year old boy runs across the road forcing a bus driver to brake hard. When the bus driver beeps at him and tells him to pay attention the boy allegedly tells him to "shut up and move on". This is where the recording starts. The driver gets out of the bus, walks across the street and slaps the boy across the face.

Police are now involved and the RATP (bus company) have initiated disciplinary proceedings against the bus driver. His colleagues started a petition on social media asking for him not to be sacked, it has reached nearly 300,000 signatures with many people saying the boy deserved to be hit for being careless and disrespectful. RATP have said the bus driver admitted he reacted emotionally and regrets his actions.

Do you think the boy got what he deserved and would you sign the petition to help the driver?

Fair play to him. It wasn’t too hard a slap, just hard enough to teach the little prick a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

A good kick in the hole never hurt anyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Would he have got out and slapped someone bigger than him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Would he have got out and slapped someone bigger than him?

Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If he were my son he would get another clatter from me .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not all hero's wear capes.

• Advertisement

Not all hero's wear capes.

You're suggesting an adult that assualts a kid is a hero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I expect the driver was so shocked and adrenaline spiked by what almost happened he really wasn't in complete control of himself.

The kid should remember what happened as a lesson, instead what'll happen is he'll think he is bigger than The Man and so will become a little **** for the rest of his life. I predict a life of crime and an early death as a junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

He should get a bloody medal. Too many little shits being let run riot with no fear of consequences.

He's a grown man who assaulted a 12 year old boy. No matter how bad the child was that is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You're suggesting an adult that assualts a kid is a hero?

Yep, plenty of little scrotes running amok that could do with a slap, no matter the verdict here i bet that litle sh1t has learned some manners and will think teice next time.

I expect the driver was so shocked and adrenaline spiked by what almost happened he really wasn't in complete control of himself.

And thinking of his passengers who were endangered by the little brat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

French incident... French rules... Simple as...

If he can't control himself when his adrenaline is spiked, he shouldn't be behind the wheel of a bus. This from someone who has driven HGV's. Plenty of things on the road will spike your adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The kid was in the wrong and probably deserves a slap but it's up to the parents to discipline him.
    He has a public role and in this day and age you simply can't go around slapping a child.
    Should he be sacked? No.
    Could the child have caused serious damage? Yes.
    But still not grounds to slap a 12 year old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s assault, driver needs to be arrested and charged, if he gets sacked from it then so be it.

Yep, plenty of little scrotes running amok that could do with a slap, no matter the verdict here i bet that litle sh1t has learned some manners and will think teice next time.

You think getting assualted will teach him manners? Doubtful it might just make realise it's ok to hit someone smaller than oneself. A lesson can be delivered without violence or the threat of violence.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    The kid was in the wrong and probably deserves a slap but it's up to the parents to discipline him.
    He has a public role and in this day and age you simply can't go around slapping a child.
    Should he be sacked? No.
    Could the child have caused serious damage? Yes.
    But still not grounds to slap a 12 year old boy.

But how were the parents going to know what the child did ? In my opinion some things need to be dealt with there and then . Unfortunately it is now not allowed so feral kids can rule the roost

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

A moment of compete and utter madness. You can't hit someone while in work and expect to keep your job.

It's strange and a little disturbing that so many here are comfortable with an adult hitting a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Torn on this. Of course technically the driver is very wrong, but I also know what kids can be like. If I was the parent of the child and I knew he was a bit of a ****, I’d say the driver was wrong, but I would want him to keep his job. I’d feel awful knowing a man lost his job, when my child was very much in the wrong too.

Edit: Also if the driver loses his job, it reinforces that the child can do whatever he wants and get away with it. Some of them will go on to provoke people for the craic, as a bit of power play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you can't be slapping kids (unless they hit you of course) but I still feel more sorry for him than the kid in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    But how were the parents going to know what the child did ? In my opinion some things need to be dealt with there and then . Unfortunately it is now not allowed so feral kids can rule the roost

Kids should be disciplined by their parents and not by strangers. That's my point.
    You can't go around slapping kids.

iamwhoiam wrote:

The kid ran out in front of a bus, stupid act but kids do stupid things all the time as do alot of adults. But describing him or any child as feral is bollixolgy.

Should've hit him harder. If you're gonna go for it, then really go for it.

The new generation of scummers have no respect and no worry about retaliation. Had the bus gone off the road (not a massive exaggeration either, perfectly plausible) do you reckon the scumbag (and that's what this kid is) would give a sh/te? Not a chance.

He'd just be egged on by his friends to do the same again and again and with no consequences (we all know the Police couldn't care less about this kinda stuff, until it actually does kill someone, then it's all 'the poor boy' nonsense we usually get).

A good belt is exactly what he deserved. And I too would like the link to the petition. Bus driver acted in the interests of his passengers (and society as a whole, in my opinion). I wholeheartedly applaud him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stop saying assault.

This is an assault like blowing a kiss is a rape.

bear1 wrote: »
    Kids should be disciplined by their parents and not by strangers. That's my point.
    You can't go around slapping kids.

.. And if no video surfaced, no one would know about this, hence no discipline by any parents. Discipline is a word many parents simply don't know the meaning of. As we will see over the next 10-20 years.

D'ya reckon this is the first and only time this kid ever did anything wrong or crossed anyone? For all we know he could be the local scumbag that's constantly acting up.

Any child could accidentally wander in front of a bus, but the difference is the 'giving lip' to the driver part. Most kids are either shocked and don't react, or apologise profusely realising what has happened. Not give the driver attitude.

• Advertisement

He shouldn't have done it but I understand why he did.
    Hopefully doesn't lose his job and hopefully that prick of a child learns a bit of cop on.

Advertisement