Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French bus driver slaps teenager for disrespect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

vicwatson wrote: »
    He’s an adult, the child is a Child, not a fair assault. Wonder would the driver have attempted that to a fully grown man? Driver is a bully and a coward

How do you know he is a coward. He may be quite brave. We don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

BBFAN wrote: »
    You're now listing off the ways in which the child should be punished. What's that got to do with an assault.

Simple question.

They are two different issues . I am speaking about the child
    The driver is a different issue . Regardless of what the driver did the child was also wrong in his behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Stephen15 wrote:
    Yes that's true but everyone in this video looks they are either from North or sub Saharan Africa. Not suggesting it's a race crime at all. It just looks to me like more immigrants first, second or third generation it doesn't matter causing trouble on the continent. These migrants shouldn't be there in the first place.

Again what has this got to do with an adult assualt a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If he were my son he would get another clatter from me .
    If it was my son the driver would get a clatter and I would deal with my son my own way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

All depends, the little bollox deserved it,
    But it wasn't the bus drivers job, he should have just gotten on with his day.

That said....if probabaly have slapped the little bollox across the face too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I have a vicious temper and am prone to violence which is something I've struggled with for my entire adult life and have thankfully managed to get under control for the most part in recent years...... but the thought of ever using violence against a child, or anyone vulnerable, never ever appeared on my radar.

If you're asking me to justify causing serious harm to an adult for assaulting one of my children, or any child for that matter, I don't feel the need..... and I make no apologies for that stance neither.

This is a self righteous attitude that in one breath see's you identifying a weakness in your character and then embracing it behind a facade of "if someone did something to my kids".

Here's the thing, the kid in question got a slap, he wasn't beaten violently, the driver shouldn't have done it and will deserve to be disciplined, but your attitude is OTT big man nonsense.

If you feel what you described is in any way justifiable then you have a bigger problem than you realise.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ah the old saying "violence is never the answer"

Meanwhile in the real world, sometimes violence is the only answer.

Lets look the kid up in 10 years time and see is hiw he turned out :rolleyes:
    You're not the only person to say this. He could turn out fine. A cheeky **** of a kid doesn't always become a scumbag. Plenty grow out of it and become embarrassed and contrite about the way they used to be.

Totally understand where the bus driver was coming from but he still shouldn't have done it, even though I've more sympathy for him than the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

robbiezero wrote: »
    How do you know he is a coward. He may be quite brave. We don't know.

Any grown adult that slaps a 12 year old child in the face is a coward

Would the driver have slapped the child in the face if his mother and father were standing beside him, the answer is no, anyone that thinks yes then get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would the driver have slapped the child in the face if his mother and father were standing beside him, the answer is no, anyone that thinks yes then get out.

Well I should hope that if the childs parents were standing beside him he wouldn't have behaved so ?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well I should hope that if the childs parents were standing beside him he wouldn't have behaved so ?

Might still have but it’s still up to the parents to check the child and not for a randomer to come and assault the child

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Haven't seen any evidence yet that the biy.was only 12, anyone have a link to this? It's just he looks near enough the drivers size. Maybe the.driver is small?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Would he have acted the maggot if they were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

why?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Haven't seen any evidence yet that the biy.was only 12, anyone have a link to this? It's just he looks near enough the drivers size. Maybe the.driver is small?

La Parisien and BBC both reported that the boy is 12 years old

http://m.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/arcueil-le-collegien-gifle-par-le-chauffeur-de-bus-donne-sa-version-des-faits-18-09-2018-7893768.php

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45586180

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

He wouldnt't have needed to as they'd probably disipline the little bollocks for being a stupid gobshíte unless they'd prefer the bus rammed up his arse instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

The spoiled brat deserved it, same with many other monkeys around Tallaght.
    It all has to do with their parents .. if you go to a Lidl or Aldi and you hear them talking only with 'feckin this feckin that' in front of their 10 year old kid what can you expect??
    And this kind of behaviour that I'm witnessing it is way too popular, it really disappoints me and I would've expected more from its citizens .. at least in front of their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Love the fake crying after, and the faux screaming and outrage.
    Sad that this man will be fired and the little scrote will probably get 100k + in compensation.

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    the little scrote will probably get 100k + in compensation.
    In France?!

Doubtful! The only type of damages that exist in the French system, are for actual damages. Punitive damages (those that are imposed to set an example, or to discourage certain behaviours) simply do not exist under the French system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

In France?!

Doubtful! The only type of damages that exist in the French system, are for actual damages. Punitive damages (those that are imposed to set an example, or to discourage certain behaviours) simply do not exist under the French system.

Great!

• Advertisement

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Great!

Yeah it sounds wise in circumstances like this, but apply it to something like sexual violence or medical negligence, and the French attitude starts to get a little more ambiguous.

Someone like Vicky Phelan would be a very poor woman under the French legal system. We don't always do things so badly here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am intruiged by some of the absolutes here, such as “corporal punishment is the answer” or “corporal punishment is never the answer”.

It is my humble opinion as a parent that there is a wide variety of disciplinary tools available to me to suit the wide variety of situations which may occur. I know I was on the receiving end of the wooden spoon and belt far more frequently than my 9-year old has received my hand (which is twice, thus far), so maybe I am a bit more judicious about it than my parents were, but I reserve the right to pull it out of the toolbox if I think it the most appropriate action to take, which both those times involved physical danger to her resulting from repeated actions and required immediate compliance without further escalation or argument.

She was sure as hell shocked, but the message was instantly received both times. There is no indication that she has been permanently scarred by the incidents and she remains one of the sweetest and kind-hearted little girls you’ll ever meet. (Then again, most dads would say that, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Although you should never technically hit a child I think most of us agree that this specific case, in which the lives of who knows how many people were endangered and the subsequent laughter and jeering from the group, the bus driver was justified in his actions. As (I hope) intelligent human beings we have a gift whereby we can actually analyze situations in context on a case by case basis before determining whether or not the action taken can be deemed acceptable. Blanket yes or no answers are utterly worthless, very few things if any are that black and white.

To sum up; was the bus driver wrong to hit the kid? Yes. Was he justified in doing so based on the video in question? In my view, absolutely. Will he lose his job and face disciplinary action? Almost definitely. Just because you're right doesn't mean the outcome will be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yep, plenty of little scrotes running amok that could do with a slap, no matter the verdict here i bet that litle sh1t has learned some manners and will think teice next time.

Yes, that's exactly how it works. And the bus driver won't break the next time, he'll just run the kid over.

Blanket yes or no answers are utterly worthless, very few things if any are that black and white.
    grand so
    To sum up; was the bus driver wrong to hit the kid? Yes.
    ehhh
    was he justified in doing so based on the video in question? In my view, absolutely.
    ehhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Lots of kids deserve a good slap,.. but I don't think he did.
    Anyway you just cant do things like that anymore.

No brainer really. You can't slap a child even if he is a little twat.

12 months from now, maybe even 20 years from now, memories of that slap might save the life of that "little twat". If he doesn't get a good (harmless) fright up him today then next time he'll just walk out in front of any train, bus, taxi, etc and expect it's the other guy's problem he's in traction with a busted spine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Sometimes a good slap is just what the doctor ordered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I am intruiged by some of the absolutes here, such as “corporal punishment is the answer” or “corporal punishment is never the answer”.

It is my humble opinion as a parent that there is a wide variety of disciplinary tools available to me to suit the wide variety of situations which may occur. I know I was on the receiving end of the wooden spoon and belt far more frequently than my 9-year old has received my hand (which is twice, thus far), so maybe I am a bit more judicious about it than my parents were, but I reserve the right to pull it out of the toolbox if I think it the most appropriate action to take, which both those times involved physical danger to her resulting from repeated actions and required immediate compliance without further escalation or argument.

She was sure as hell shocked, but the message was instantly received both times. There is no indication that she has been permanently scarred by the incidents and she remains one of the sweetest and kind-hearted little girls you’ll ever meet. (Then again, most dads would say that, right?)

This.

When disciplining children you use the least severe punishment necessary for the given situation. Disciplining kids is tricky and you have to establish rules, rewards and punishments to teach them boundaries.

If your toddler tries to pull a pot of boiling water down you say no. If they try and do it again, you re-iterate. Next you remove them from the scene. Talk to them about it later to explain why you had to take them out of the situation. If the scenario keeps getting repeated a thumb-cocked finger flick to the back of the hand the next time might deliver a sufficient shock that they won't do it again. They need to know when something is absolutely not a game. Better that than scalded.

The kid obviously let his parents down. The fact he was mocking the driver after nearly being killed showed he hadn't received enough of a shock to correct his behaviour in future. Conversing would have been futile given the egging on that goes with a group of teenagers. A short sharp slap looks to have delivered the message as you can see the kid froze to the spot. Lesson learned for him hopefully.

The driver obviously was wrong as its against the law and it was not his kid but he just might have done him a good turn for his life in future. Respect other road users, respect your elders, respect strangers and most importantly always treat strangers with a sense of unpredictability.

The driver broke the law though and will have to face the consequences unfortunately. Are the laws gone a little too far though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 CountingR

Just wondering - you say that you ‘reserve the right’ to slap your child if you deem it necessary. I have a few questions/issues on that:

Firstly does your right to hit your child supercede your child’s right not to be hit? As an adult, we have a right not to be hit/assaulted and there is a system there for us to make a complaint and seek action if that does happen...

Secondly, do you believe all parents have a right to exercise their own judgement in when hitting a child is justified. Maybe you do it, when there is a physical danger to the child. Maybe that’s justified, maybe not. However maybe someone else deems cheekiness enough to warrant a smack. Is that right? And if so, where does society draw the line? If you can hit your child for what you deem a justified reason, and you can make that decision, then can I do the same? You see the problem here. This has to be black and white. Otherwise, children will end up as the losers in the whole thing (even if your approach to slapping or hitting is measured and reasonable in your own mind).

Finally, if laws around slapping a child are further tightened, would you forfeit your right? If you slapped your child in public now, you could be in some legal trouble - does your right outweigh the law?

Some honest questions really, I think what your saying can sound reasonable but is actually quite problematic

Advertisement