Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French bus driver slaps teenager for disrespect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What Hmm ? I am sure they know him well , better than we do anyway .
    I'm sure they do. I'm on the driver's side here, but I'm not convinced of his Olympian calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He didn't get a slap for bad manners – he got a slap for running out in front of multi-tonne moving lump of steel, which would have destroyed his young body to pieces. This was not assault, it was not abuse – it was not violence. That child is lucky to be alive – and I guarantee you, that child will not die from crossing the road in the future. Life is not black and white.

Have a word with yourself eh? He’s s kid, driver has ample time to breath out, breath in and then go and verbally assault the brat, but he didn’t, he crossed the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

[/QUOTE]

If you look at the start of the clip it looks like the lad and his mates are jumping up and down mocking the driver ,There must be more footage but without knowing what was said its hard to judge, but personally if the lad made a comment belittling the driver for his job or age etc... well tough sh*t he won@t do it again will he .

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Play stupid games win stupid prizes
    The kid will remember getting that slap, which is a hell of a lot better than some poor f*cker having to mop him up off the road had he pulled that stunt again and got hit by a bus:pac:
    Bus driver shouldn't lose his job but perhaps some sort of disciplinary action. Had he not done this that kid may have gotten hit later on doing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Bullsh*t, violence towards a child is never an answer in any world real or imagined.

So a 15 year old walks up to you tomorrow, slaps you and tries to steal your wallet/phone you wouldnt fight back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

You siad facts, these are opinion.

What part of that is an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm sure they do. I'm on the driver's side here, but I'm not convinced of his Olympian calm.

He may have left it in the pocket of his other trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

mdwexford wrote:
    What part of that is an opinion.

All of it. Calling it fact doesn't make it so.
    As an aside I read Martin Cahill's biography (The General) he may have been lying but he attributed the way he turned out to the violence and abuse he suffered in Daingean industrial school as a young child.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Assaulting a child isn't okay, especially because he only slapped him because he's a child and knows he won't be able to fight back

EDIT: Just watched and the boy was a lot bigger than I thought he'd be at 12, looked more like 16 or 17,and he was a prick,I didn't realise it would be such a loud and obnoxious group jeering at the driver, glad he did what he did now

So a 15 year old walks up to you tomorrow, slaps you and tries to steal your wallet/phone you wouldnt fight back?

Aah what ifs.. I'll let you know how I reacted if it ever happens.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Assaulting a child isn't okay, especially because he only slapped him because he's a child and knows he won't be able to fight back

Nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

As an aside I read Martin Cahill's biography (The General) he may have been lying but he attributed the way he turned out to the violence and abuse he suffered in Daingean industrial school as a young child.

What was probably regular and severe abuse in an industrial school is somewhat incomparable to a biannual clip 'round the ear, however.

Noveight wrote:
    What was probably regular and severe abuse in an industrial school is somewhat incomparable to a biannual clip 'round the ear, however.

We have someone here saying he got beaten with a hurl and kicked but no harm done. Not comparable with a biannual clip 'round the ear either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In all fairness I don't think the one slap for a dangerous misbehaviour is comparable to the ongoing abuse of an industrial school

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Don't think you understand what a fact is.

If it happened, it's a fact.

Oh really, one serious criminal fits the bill. Christ it must be so then.

iamwhoiam wrote:
    In all fairness I don't think the one slap for a dangerous misbehaviour is comparable to the ongoing abuse of an industrial school

Assualt is still assualt regardless of time or context in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭numbnutz

So would it be fair to say that all the violence towards children set in this thread would be okay with other men slapping their children?
    I know there are times when your child can wind you the f*ck up but where do you go after the first few slaps?...nowhere just more slaps.
    When I was growing up I got the wooden spoon and "the clout" but what really wound me up the most was being kept in.
    So no, slaps are not the answer.

Aah what ifs.. I'll let you know how I reacted if it ever happens.

You said
    Bullsh*t, violence towards a child is never an answer in any world real or imagined.

Now just because you have never (and may never) had to be involved in a situation that i described does not mean that others haven't.

The fact is that sometimes violence (even against a child) is justified. You may not agree with this but it's a fact that many others will understand and agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

If he were my son he would get another clatter from me .

If he were my son I would kick the bus driver to death.

mdwexford wrote:
    Don't think you understand what a fact is.

I do that's why I said opinion.
    mdwexford wrote:
    Oh really, one serious criminal fits the bill. Christ it must be so then.

No at all just countering this bs that assualt a child causes no harm.

• Advertisement

Now just because you have never (and may never) had to be involved in a situation that i described does not mean that others haven't.

I have been in a situation due to my job where I was hit by young kids, I didn't assualt them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

When the kid is older he’ll be glad that someone taught him a valuable lesson not to be doing the fool and giving it the big bollix to strangers.

People here banging on about prosecution would want to get real, the lad got a small bit of a clatter and he deserved one if we’re being honest.

The driver will probably lose his job and maybe that’s fair enough, it wasn’t the most calm and professional of reactions but people saying he should be criminally prosecuted need to cop on.

The fact is that sometimes violence (even against a child) is justified. You may not agree with this but it's a fact that many others will understand and agree with.

Violence against a child is never justified and to be honest I have nothing further to say to anyone that thinks it is.

Violence against a child is never justified and to be honest I have nothing further to say to anyone that thinks it is.

Off you trot then, you obviously want an echo chamber where everyone else is tut tutting along with you and agreeing with what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If he were my son I would kick the bus driver to death.

And may I ask how you would discipline your son ?

If he looses his job Dublin Bus should snap him up

And may I ask how you would discipline your son ?

Probably get him a new playstation to help him get over the trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

PLL wrote: »

Edit: Also if the driver loses his job, it reinforces that the child can do whatever he wants and get away with it. Some of them will go on to provoke people for the craic, as a bit of power play.

The child will learn that it's not acceptable to violently assault someone half your size, especially in the workplace, and to do so will result in serious consequences...... a lesson a lot of adults on this thread should take note of before applauding the assault of a child by an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A belt never did us any harm growing up when we were out of line, in fairness it was usually my Mam with a wee smack to put me in line, and never much more...

I was physically abused as a child but that's another day's story that I won't go into here...

I was never usually a cheeky little git to the bus driver so never been in that position but he must have really wound the man up for him to retaliate like that, this being 2018 he will probably get sacked but I think a caution would be more fitting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The child will learn that it's not acceptable to violently assault someone half your size, especially in the workplace, and to do so will result in serious consequences...... a lesson a lot of adults on this thread should take note of before applauding the assault of a child by an adult.

You're espousing a non violent approach from the bus driver whilst also saying you'd kick him to death...

We all have to learn lessons whilst you continue on your trajectory of cognitive dissonance.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement