Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,533 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

tringle wrote: »
    And she wasnt even in the nip to us she was behind a paper screen or sheet.

"Those women weren't even in the nip!"

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Count Down wrote: »
    There was one scene where she was posing for the art class and she was in the full nip, although the camera angles only showed her top half. :eek:
    It was done in the best possible taste, but to no avail....:confused:

In the retrospective clip I remember them showing you could clearly see her rear end, she was nude and shown in full from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

In the retrospective clip I remember them showing you could clearly see her rear end, she was nude and shown in full from behind.
    Odd that I don't remember that bit. I would have been around 16 at the time. Probably averted my gaze so as not to be assailed with impure thoughts for the rest of my life - assuming I was to live that long. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think I might have seen the retrospective clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The wikipedia page for thsi is nuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spike_(TV_series)
    n episode five, "the briefest glimpse of naked flesh" caused outrage and angry phonecalls to newspapers. The show's producer defended the nude streak as an intent "to examine the attitude of pupils and staff to nudity". The ensuing fuss led to one of the actors requiring medical treatment after he was, as the Evening Press elegantly phrased it, "thumped by a fat elderly lady".[5] The episode sparked debate in Dáil Éireann and was condemned by the Taoiseach Jack Lynch, despite him having never seen the programme.[6] On the day that the sixth episode was due to air with a story of a schoolboy bomber, it was axed. The remaining episodes remain locked away and have neither never been broadcast on RTÉ nor viewed by members of the general public. The Spike was later featured on RTÉ's scandal series, Scannal,[7][8] with the Irish Independent naming it as one of their "Top 10 Worst Irish TV Programmes".[

Apparently it was useless too. The acting was terrible and the script sucked. they tried to tackle serious issues but were just terrible at it.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    The wikipedia page for thsi is nuts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spike_(TV_series)

Apparently it was useless too. The acting was terrible and the script sucked. they tried to tackle serious issues but were just terrible at it.

Yes, the acting was generally shyte, not helped by a rubbishy script, but this gave it an unintentional comedy aspect.
    In one storyline, some young one gets crap results in her Inter cert. Her father tells her in no uncertain terms that she'll have to leave her posh fee-paying school and go to the dreaded kip of a school 'The Spike' for the new term. Aghast, she wails "No, no, not The Spike!"
    At school the next day, virtually everyone in the class were imitating her wailing "No, no, not The Spike!" We thought we were hilarious. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

In 2002, RTE had a good documentary on their drama - celebrating 40 years. Have it on VIDEO HOME SYSTEM. Might try to upload to YouTube. There's clips from The Spike and others on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

In 2002, RTE had a good documentary on their drama - celebrating 40 years. Have it on VIDEO HOME SYSTEM. Might try to upload to YouTube. There's clips from The Spike and others on it.

Do it!

Remember when it was a big deal when an Irish movie came out in the cinema? Eat The Peach, Reefer And The Model, The Courier. They'd usually be shown on RTE not long after coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Remember when it was a big deal when an Irish movie came out in the cinema? Eat The Peach, Reefer And The Model, The Courier. They'd usually be shown on RTE not long after coming out.

I remember Eat the Peach getting a shed load of publicity when it came outm then a few years back some newspaper gave it away free on DVD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

One film from the 1980s that moved me was Lamb. Featuring a young Liam Neeson, it was hugely depressing.:(

So much was truly depressing in the 1980s, thank God I was only a child and had my mates, my BMX and my LEGO town to play with (when it was raining, we played outdoors a lot...)

Lamb was excellent. Bleak stuff.
    Hugh O’Conor with one n - always thought that looked wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Count Down wrote: »
    As I recall there was a storyline concerning a teacher having an illicit liaison with one of the younger students - way ahead of its time in 1970s Ireland.
    The teacher's name was Curtin, and when a fellow teacher found out he hit Mr Curtin a wallop, causing a black eye. At school the next day, some student wittily shouted out "Is it hurtin' Curtin?" :D

Interesting - it was filmed in Synge St, which had a Mr Curtin on staff at the time.

Lamb was excellent. Bleak stuff.
    Hugh O’Conor with one n - always thought that looked wrong

Early Liam Neeson film as well

JupiterKid wrote: »
    One film from the 1980s that moved me was Lamb. Featuring a young Liam Neeson, it was hugely depressing.:(

So much was truly depressing in the 1980s, thank God I was only a child and had my mates, my BMX and my LEGO town to play with (when it was raining, we played outdoors a lot...)

RTE screened it soon after it was released and true to form they pretty much gave away the ending in the clip publicising the screening. That was an odd aspect of 80's TV that whenever there was a heavily publicised film or TV show coming up they'd have these promos with portentous voiceover explaining the storyline. It wasn't just RTE either as the below clip shows (spoiler alert).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭its_steve116

branie2 wrote: »
    Early Liam Neeson film as well

...before he told that dude that he'd look for him, find him... and kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,533 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And they were all sh!te too, but we were patriotically expected to watch them on RTE with our nostrils pinched to not smell the smell of sh!te and proclaim that they were "grand".

Eat The Peach is one of the worst fcuking movies ever made, but RTE made out it was Oscar material...

Scrap the cap!

Another odd memory that just popped into my head of the movie Lamb is that soon after RTE showed it there was a story in the papers about an unfortunate man who took his own life after watching it. His neighbour reported that the man was talking about the film the following day and saying how depressing he found it and the ending in particular, I think he was found dead just shortly later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Another odd memory that just popped into my head of the movie Lamb is that soon after RTE showed it there was a story in the papers about an unfortunate man who took his own life after watching it. His neighbour reported that the man was talking about the film the following day and saying how depressing he found it and the ending in particular, I think he was found dead just shortly later.

That's sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Lamb was awfully grim. I still remember it well and have absolutely no desire to watch it again, particularly now that I'm a parent. :(

• Advertisement

Who can forget the safety ads that used to be on tv in the 70's and 80's.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Never heard of that film Lamb before, Jesus Christ, from reading the plot description, it makes Angela's Ashes seem like a laugh a minute comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

I remember being on summer holidays in Newtownmountkennedy as a youngster and going to Wicklow town where Pierce Brosnan was filming Taffin. The highlight of summer 87 (I think it was?)

Clash Of The Ash was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I remember being on summer holidays in Newtownmountkennedy as a youngster and going to Wicklow town where Pierce Brosnan was filming Taffin. The highlight of summer 87 (I think it was?)

Well maybe you shouldn't be living heeeerrrrrrreeee?

Clash Of The Ash was great.

I wrote this article on Clash Of The Ash for Where's Grandad.

The YouTube upload of it is from my VHS tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Taffin is a classic, an Irish film noir made in the 1980's, it is great to see the locations/scenes in it, evocative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

...before he told that dude that he'd look for him, find him... and kill him.
    Before he had a certain set of skills

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

Now hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, with mild green Fairy Liquid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

duffle coats & parker jackets

When I was in primary school in the 80s, I can remember taking off my shoes and putting on slippers, as it was a rule in the school.

fryup wrote: »
    duffle coats & parker jackets

Back in the 70s I had a Parka jacket which I wore everywhere, especially when fishing. After a few years my mother refused to wash it anymore (no washing machine in those days) and told me to take it to the laundrette.
    I went in and plonked it on the counter. "Could ye wash this, please?" The nice man picked up the sleeve between finger and thumb, sniffed it, looked me in the eye and said "No."
    I picked up the jacket and left. :(
    Looking back, it probably smelled like a gorilla's armpit. But I was so used to it that I never noticed. I only got rid of it when I outgrew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The Aer Lingus ad 'Look up it's Aer Lingus'

My friends and I would stand on the path and all point at the sky while singing the jingle. You'd see oul lads getting off their bicycles to see what we were pointing at...O the craic we had.

Come the summer holidays we'd all sit for hours writing down car number plates in copybooks trying to outdo each other who'd get the most. A similar game was to guess the make of car. Another was to close our eyes and guess the make of car by the sound of engine as it drove past. It took little to amuse us.

Some summer nights were spent in someones shed sitting on upturned buckets as seats, all huddled around a little transister radio listening to radio Luxemburg, chawing sweets and eating Taytos...and if thirst got the better of us we all wrapped our mouths around the tap in the yard to quench our thirst.

We'd do some experimentation with the crisps, we'd mix cheese and onion and salt and vinegar in the one bag to befuddle our taste buds and maybe for a bit of divilment divide up a bag of Pete's peanuts into the crisp bags.

Ah those were the days my friends and we thought they'd never end....in the words of the song sotospeak.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    The Aer Lingus ad 'Look up it's Aer Lingus'

My friends and I would stand on the path and all point at the sky while singing the jingle. You'd see oul lads getting off their bicycles to see what we were pointing at...O the craic we had.

Come the summer holidays we'd all sit for hours writing down car number plates in copybooks trying to outdo each other who'd get the most. A similar game was to guess the make of car. Another was to close our eyes and guess the make of car by the sound of engine as it drove past. It took little to amuse us.

Some summer nights were spent in someones shed sitting on upturned buckets as seats, all huddled around a little transister radio listening to radio Luxemburg, chawing sweets and eating Taytos...and if thirst got the better of us we all wrapped our mouths around the tap in the yard to quench our thirst.

We'd do some experimentation with the crisps, we'd mix cheese and onion and salt and vinegar in the one bag to befuddle our taste buds and maybe for a bit of divilment divide up a bag of Pete's peanuts into the crisp bags.

Ah those were the days my friends and we thought they'd never end....in the words of the song sotospeak.

As a kid I could tell the make if virtually any car by the sound of it, same with airplanes, eg a Viscount had 4 Dart engines, a HS78 had 2 Darts, so I could tell the difference by volume of sound in such case. My mother’s friend had a slightly older child and she used to be able to tell the makes of aircraft from her pram. Funnily enough both of us turned up at the same flying school together, and we met after her plane’s engine stopped running as she throttled back to land (it had a note stuck on dashboard not to cut to idle as fuel flow was being fine-tuned for economy) and came to a stop on the runway after having announced intention to touch and go. I had to fly around her and make a second approach to land. She had managed to restart and taxi back and park. We both reacquainted getting out of our respective aircraft and walking back to club house! The flying school/club had at least one third female pilots, including one of its two full-time employed instructors. Absolutely adored those days of early eighties, full of colour for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I remember catching bee's in jamjars, sticklebacks, caterpillars, crab's, frog's, shrew's, crow's lol

I'd leave them go again after a few days in a big fishtank in the she'd. The bee's would go straight back. I remember having around 15 bees in a coffee jar, the coffee jars were bigger.
    Putting my ear up to the jar hearing the loud buzz.

I remember the airplanes too, the Concorde training in Shannon was a big moment.
    If you heard the power and the noise over head would make you feel like getting sick...

TV programs, Kidnapped, Huckleberry Finn, Fifi and fofo, Treasure Island, Island of the great yellow Ox....

No longer on the Box

Remember when you had ads that were actually funny? This one always cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Dublin Docks being derelict down to the Pigeon House and the Ringsend gasometer in the distance, shame The Dockers and Vallance & McGrath pubs no longer exist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

As a kid I could tell the make if virtually any car by the sound of it, same with airplanes, eg a Viscount had 4 Dart engines, a HS78 had 2 Darts, so I could tell the difference by volume of sound in such case. My mother’s friend had a slightly older child and she used to be able to tell the makes of aircraft from her pram. Funnily enough both of us turned up at the same flying school together, and we met after her plane’s engine stopped running as she throttled back to land (it had a note stuck on dashboard not to cut to idle as fuel flow was being fine-tuned for economy) and came to a stop on the runway after having announced intention to touch and go. I had to fly around her and make a second approach to land. She had managed to restart and taxi back and park. We both reacquainted getting out of our respective aircraft and walking back to club house! The flying school/club had at least one third female pilots, including one of its two full-time employed instructors. Absolutely adored those days of early eighties, full of colour for me.

Did you get the back wheels in?

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Telecom Eireann ad with Bob Geldof. 'Phone wreckers are idiots'

Remember another one out at around the same time about drink/drugs with the tag line 'That's a sick way to live'. Can't remember if it was Bob in that one or not.

RTE news report about the launch of that Telecom Eireann anti vandalism ad. This is hilarious, Bob getting indignant about a trashed phonebox. "Don't give me that crap about social anger".

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21216597-telephone-anti-vandalism-campaign/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Anyone going to this

https://foreveryoungfestival.ie/

Are The Christians an 80's band?
    THE HUMAN LEAGUE | HOLLY JOHNSON
    LEVEL 42 | KIM WILDE
    JIMMY SOMERVILLE | MARC ALMOND
    BONNIE TYLER | MIDGE URE | THOMPSON TWINS’ TOM BAILEY
    HOTHOUSE FLOWERS | HEAVEN 17 | T’PAU | BIG COUNTRY | FROM THE JAM
    CRY BEFORE DAWN | THE FIZZ (BUCKS FIZZ) | CHINA CRISIS
    LEEE JOHN (IMAGINATION) | TOYAH | HAZEL O’CONNOR | KATRINA (& THE WAVES)
    DR & THE MEDICS | THE SOUTH (BEAUTIFUL SOUTH)
    THE CHRISTIANS | ANDREW STRONG (THE COMMITMENTS) | BAGATELLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Now hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, with mild green Fairy Liquid

Reminded me of this.
    Once upon a time, there was a chef named Chervase who worked in a restaurant. They mainly served fish, especially squid.

Of all the squid there, one stood out from the rest. He was green, vile, and had a hairy lip. Of course, anyone seeing this squid would not want him and would choose another, more attractive and appetizing fish.

So, over the years, Chervase grew to like the squid, despite being green and vile and having a hairy lip. He would come in every morning and feed it and clean out its tank every evening. During the summer, a student was taken on to wash up, and his name was Hans. He was a good worker and helped Chervase around the kitchen. He also grew to like the squid, and fed it daily when Chervase was too busy.

One day a gentleman arrived, claiming to have tasted every squid known to man. When he saw the green hairy-lipped vile squid, he had to have it. So, Chervase pulled the squid out by the tentacles and threw him on the chopping block. He grabbed his cleaver and in one movement, raised it up and couldn't kill his old friend, the vile, green, hairy-lip squid.

He broke down crying and ordered Hans to kill the squid, but Hans couldn't do it either!

All of which just goes to show that Hans that does dishes is as soft as Chervase, with the vile green hairy-lip squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Anyone going to this

Too much dreck on that for me to be interested, but i could be tempted to go see Big Country or From the Jam if they played some small venue on their own. Most of those bands i wouldn't have watched if they set up in my back garden in the 80s so no interest in paying steeply to watch them croak out their old hits in their dotage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anyone going to this

I presume Dr and the Medics will just play Spirit in the Sky on repeat until they have filled their slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes, The Christians were an 80s band.

For me, it really would depend on the band line-up. How many of the original members are in it now, for example. The Christians' vocalist had a phenomenal and unique voice. If he's not in the current line up I wouldn't want to know.

You couldn't pay me to sit through a set by T'Pau, Bucks Fizz or Toyah. A couple of those acts I wouldn't mind seeing now (such as The Christians, maybe Level 42 - they always seemed to have a listenable tune out in the 80s, ) but most of them, no.

Their best song is Harvest for the World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

'Forgotten Town' is hair-raisingly brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes, The Christians were an 80s band.

For me, it really would depend on the band line-up. How many of the original members are in it now, for example. The Christians' vocalist had a phenomenal and unique voice. If he's not in the current line up I wouldn't want to know.

You couldn't pay me to sit through a set by T'Pau, Bucks Fizz or Toyah. A couple of those acts I wouldn't mind seeing now (such as The Christians, maybe Level 42 - they always seemed to have a listenable tune out in the 80s, ) but most of them, no.

He is the only one left.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Anyone going to this

Yes they are end 80's early 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A cover though - I think it was Isley Bros. number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement