Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I drove down the Greenhills Road in Dublin yesterday. The end of it nearest the Walkinstown Roundabout looks like 80s Dublin.

No proper finish or landscaping or frontage on anything, just dirty grey concrete walls with patched up bits and graffitti, the road similarly patched up in bits, awful frontages like the 2 scrapyards, rusty broken railings half so covered in ivy that youd barely know there was railings there at all, any bit of shrubbery looks like weeds gone wild and theres broken old signage on buildings and bits of yards. Just an awful bleak blasted looking stretch from just after LIDL til the roundabout.

Im sure there are other parts of Dublin as badly run down, but I just happened to notice it yesterday and remembered this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Who remembers this, think it ran until 1970 so technically qualifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePlQScWVEso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Or Grizzly Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Or The Onedin Line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Simon & Simon, brothers who were private detectives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I remember this episode freaking me out as a kid, the concept of a chair that could kill you, I remember peeking through the kitchen door looking at that episode and staying away from the sofa for a long time. :o Dated 1971 apparently and the Doctor Who episode or season called Terror of the Autons.

Class. When Dr Who was a lot less childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I worked part-time in my local pub in the 80's. Some of the drinks i remember from then that I don't think you see or hear of any more...

Satzenbrau
    Snowball
    Babycham
    MacArdle's
    Pint bottles
    Power's and Red
    Rock Shandy (not pre-made)
    Dressed Pimms

If you wanted draft beer it was Guinness, Smithwicks or Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

storker wrote: »
    I worked part-time in my local pub in the 80's. Some of the drinks i remember from then that I don't think you see or hear of any more...

Satzenbrau
    Snowball
    Babycham
    MacArdle's
    Pint bottles
    Power's and Red
    Dressed Pimms

As a kid I was always fascinated by the Babycham bottles because they looked so good up there with all the boring beer and spirit bottles.

babycham_06.jpg

Speaking of exotic drinks in the 70s/80s anyone remember these ads.

Leonard was doing the language gaffs long before Del Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just about everywhere would have had Carlsberg. In the 80s lots of places had at least one of Heineken, Furstenberg, Bud or Fosters, some places had 2 or 3 of them.

Pint bottles of Guinness are still very much around (mine's off the shelf, please, and not in a girly half pint glass thanks)

Macardles, Babycham are still just about around - would be hard to find in pubs though

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Can you get pints of carling in ireland outside cork havent seen it anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Satzenbrau
    Snowball
    Babycham
    MacArdle's
    Pint bottles
    Power's and Red
    Dressed Pimms

Don't forget bottles of Stag, Ritz (I think), Carlsberg Special Brew!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Kat1170 wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    Went on for a few weeks with the whole country trying to figure out who Ed & Mona were.

Another similar thing was "Maude Frickert", I remember these teaser ads circa 1986 with this name and all it turned out to be was a guy dressed as an old woman advertising Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

mean gene wrote: »
    Can you get pints of carling in ireland outside cork havent seen it anywhere else

Absolutely! 3 pints for a tenner originally. Now its 3 pints for 11 quid as the boom is back. I reckon it will be gone or full price soon as the greedy publicans think they can get rid or charge full whack. Tuborg has disappeared from my local coz the manager didn't think 3 pints for 11 sounded right. It was 3.80 a pint without the discount. Therefore he's a wanker. A greedy wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

They must have sold double diamond here at some point because I still have the song in my head all these years later. Something like “nice one Charlie, nice one Lar.....double diamonds the best beer in the bar!”

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Satzenbrau
    Snowball
    Babycham
    MacArdle's
    Pint bottles
    Power's and Red
    Dressed Pimms

Stag

Remington Steele, which made Pierce Brosnan a star before he became James Bond. He was offered the role of Bond in 86, but he had to turn it down, because of commitments to the TV show

Blue Nun wine and those ads "Red or white?" "Blue"

Anyone remember 4711 and their cheesy ads?

Hawaii 5-0. Book em, Danno!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was between the ages if 4 and 14 for the 80s and so I remember them fondly. Simpler times to be sure, loved school, loved football for 10 hours at a time on the green, loved mucking about and going adventuring on BMXs and Grifters.

Health and Safety didn't exist, my old man used to cover some holidays when the truck drivers in his factory were away so he'd come to the house in the truck and take me with him. Great times. That wouldn't happen in a million years now. Neither would scutting on electric milk floats or open backed buses.

There were no play dates (kids just roamed), very few foreign holidays, nobody was driven to school, there were 6 TV stations on one TV in the sitting room and they broadcast about 12 hours a day. I went to one of the best primary schools in the Country and we had one computer between 20 classes. It was a BBC Micro, (yes the BBC badged Acorn built computers and retailed them). For the kids frame of reference, my midrange mobile phone has over one million times the capacity it had.

Food was bland, mass was obligatory and packed out. Music was on the radio and the charts were recorded onto blank cassette tapes at home and played back until it was worn out.

However, I know now the 80s were very hard for people. My parents both worked, but they were ridden rock solid for tax (almost 60% effective rate) and the mortgage interest was 16% so there were few luxuries. I am grateful for their sacrifices.

For many who completed education in the 80s, they often emigrated almost the next day. Jobs in nursing, teaching, the Garda, the Civil Service, the Banks were coveted like gold and set you up for life.

We also know that still in the 80s, vulnerable people were being abused, exploited, neglected by the very institutions that were supposed to shelter them.

I loved my young life in the 80s, but they dont deserve any rose tinted glasses.

• Advertisement

Remember bottles of lemonade in pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Remember the ads, can't imagine anyone in Ireland buying the stuff though!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Speaking of job hunting, going through a long application process just to end up on a panel so that you might possibly at some later date be called for a job.

No replies to unsuccessful applicants because of postage costs. (I've seen this more recently from employers who haven't figured out that e-mail is free.)

Working a "back week". Having finally secured a job, many were told that they would have to work two weeks before being paid for one. Just because the employer could...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

I did the Leaving Cert in 1978, and didn't get a job until a year later, a low-paid job in the Public Service. When I was unemployed, people - friends and strangers alike - used to ask me "What do you do?" and I sheepishly used to tell them I was unemployed. As soon as I got work nobody used to ask me!
    People were so accustomed to life on the dole that whenever there was a budget they used to ask "Have they increased the 'Labour'?" (unemployment benefit) rather than ask whether any jobs had been created.

The Incredible Hulk terrified me as a kid so this Paxo advert scared the living Shyte out of me. If it was made today it'd probably be accused of promoting domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Wht?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

jt69er wrote: »
    Stag

Bottles of Phoenix

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

4 7 11
    As someone involved in village lottery, never ever pick those numbers because if the numbers come up you will be sharing it with a lot of other people.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I worked for the distribution company that had it as one of their products. Lots of it sold in Ireland.

My mammy was a fan actually.

Advertisement