Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My favourite memory of the 70's is the FA Cup Final on TV. Switching between ITV and BBC from 9am with all sorts of build up segments. Live broadcast from team hotels, following fans on trains and busses as they travelled to Wembley. Celebrity fans, games etc. Would have gotten in supplies of sweets, crisps and drink to see you through until around 6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

This is now officially a retro sweets thread. :)

Anyone remember Gorgo bars? They were like Wham bars but were green had black bits. Also Dan (of the Desperate variety) bars.

Re the phone wrecker ad - that guy seems pretty committed to wrecking that phone. I'd like to know his motivations. Obviously phone box "wrecking" was so prevalent in the mid 80s that they were compelled to make a TV advertisement about it! Also that I recognise that guy from Irish movies, think he was in a Roddy Doyle one.[/QUOTE]

He was in most if not all of them. The son in the army in the Snapper. Yer man looking to buy drugs in the Commitments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone else remember this advert? Cook Electric - aired first in early 1982. Loved it

https://youtu.be/iRDCVZkRi0E

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Anyone else remember this advert? Cook Electric - aired first in early 1982. Loved it

https://youtu.be/iRDCVZkRi0E

Yes, I remember that. Maddeningly catchy jingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My favourite memory of the 70's is the FA Cup Final on TV. Switching between ITV and BBC from 9am with all sorts of build up segments. Live broadcast from team hotels, following fans on trains and busses as they travelled to Wembley. Celebrity fans, games etc. Would have gotten in supplies of sweets, crisps and drink to see you through until around 6

FA Cup and Grand National were truly great days, dominating an entire days sport the way it’s hard to do now in this age of super saturation. I remember as a kid how much we looked forward to motd every Saturday night and how greedily we gorged on The Big Match on Sundays when we finally got the foreign channels on. Slim pickings compared to now for sure, but unlike now I really savoured live sport back then. Just different times I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Both decades were, to my experience, marked by high unemployment and high interest rates.

I wouldn't go back to them for any reason.

Fair play to Jimmy, for getting in between yourself and Kermit. Very industrious back in the eighties we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭thesandeman

FYI A lot of those retro sweets are being sold in LIDL this week. Reasonably priced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

With Halloween coming up in two weeks, I remember that Halloween costumes in my day (80s) was a mask and black binliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

branie2 wrote: »
    With Halloween coming up in two weeks, I remember that Halloween costumes in my day (80s) was a mask and black binliner.

White sheets for ghosts and black binliners for everything (and I mean absolutely everything) else.
    Go as a bat? Binliners tied to your arms.
    Go as Dracula? Binliner for a cape...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Heroditas wrote: »
    White sheets for ghosts and black binliners for everything (and I mean absolutely everything) else.
    Go as a bat? Binliners tied to your arms.
    Go as Dracula? Binliner for a cape...

Yes, and going to the bonfire not going to near the fire because the bag would melt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Same for us in the 90s.

The bin bag was a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same for us in the 90s.

The bin bag was a great thing.

We used to have the bin bag as well , I haven't a clue what we were supposed to be like with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

A pyrotechnic delight, saw a guy who had a face mask melt on him.

I can still remember the smell of those masks when you put them on. Walking around peering out through the slits. They were simple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Halloween in the 70s and 80s was "Help the Halloween party" and none of the "Trick or Treat" BS. We got fruit and nuts. Sweets were a fooking long way off, but we loved it anyway. These days Halloween is like a 2 day Christmas loada crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A pyrotechnic delight, saw a guy who had a face mask melt on him.

I can still remember the smell of those masks when you put them on. Walking around peering out through the slits. They were simple times.

Back in 1983, someone on our road threw a full orange gas cylinder into a bonfire. It had been stolen from a local shop (remember they used to kept outside?)

Everyone legged it as it exploded up in the air and disintegrated, showering bits everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Back in 1983, someone on our road threw a full orange gas cylinder into a bonfire. It had been stolen from a local shop (remember they used to kept outside?)

Everyone legged it as it exploded up in the air and disintegrated, showering bits everywhere.

Simple times. those were the days.

I remember that it was reported that Rathfarnham a guy got a bullet in the leg after someone threw it in the bonfire.

Mid 70's i think.

Neither smart or funny. A small child could have been seriously injured or worse. The big Halloween bonfires round my area had older kids throwing French bangers into them. That was as crazy as it got in 80s Castleknock...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bullocks wrote: »
    We used to have the bin bag as well , I haven't a clue what we were supposed to be like with it though!

Same, two holes for eyes. All good.

Wouldn't dream of sending the young lads out like that nowadays

Yep - cheapy "costumes" - ****ty thin plastic mask and bin bag at Halloween was de rigeur for trick and treat in suburban Dublin in the 80s. But we did get sweets as well as toffee apples (if very lucky) and fruit and nuts. Then back home before the "big kids" caused mayhem with bangers and rockets to have a little party with apple dunking etc...

...simpler times. The idea of Halloween decorations was a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Neither smart or funny. A small child could have been seriously injured or worse. The big Halloween bonfires round my area had older kids throwing French bangers into them. That was as crazy as it got in 80s Castleknock...:D

Did you see the goings on from the view of your mansion towards West Glasnevin back then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ooh "French bangers" lah dee dah. We had to make our own with a roll of caps, a pin, and some sellotape.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's supposed to vent off the gas instead of exploding, like this:

https://youtu.be/adwvwrTnF48?t=336

Life ain't always empty.

Did anyone else play snapapple at Halloween in the 70's and 80's or was it dying out by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

I would like to apologies in advance for recalling the trauma for all that suffered from the gruesome injuries these "toys" inflicted

lolo.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sabat wrote: »
    Ooh "French bangers" lah dee dah. We had to make our own with a roll of caps, a pin, and some sellotape.
    Jaysus now there's a few decaying braincells firing again. French bangers. For some reason such fireworks were considered French. I presume because a large shipment came in from there under the customs radar at some point? You could buy fireworks over the counter in the rest of Europe, here feckin sparklers were your lot. Sparklers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Did anyone else play snapapple at Halloween in the 70's and 80's or was it dying out by then?

Yes, and ducking for coins in a basin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Six children in the back seat of a fiesta
    Adults didn’t wear seatbelts
    Hanging off the back of tractors for a lift
    Dodging tree branches on top of trailers full of hay

Ah health and safety, nobody gave a damn :)

We did however have graphic and shocking TV ads showing people in accidents. Like climbing ESB pylons and getting electrocuted or playing by a river and drowning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Benwell bangers. They were rubbish. Snap bangers were all we were "allowed" but we managed to get the other ones.

Yes, played the apple on a string game, plus the apple in the basin of water. Which was kind of gross when you reflect on it, especially after a few people goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I would like to apologies in advance for recalling the trauma for all that suffered from the gruesome injuries these "toys" inflicted

[/IMG]

Lolo balls. I had one, wasnt to enthused by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Star Trekkin, across the universe!
    On the Starship Enterprise under Captain Kirk

Advertisement