Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nope. But it did remind me of a weekly (I think) magazine called 'Our Boys'. It was a kind of 'Ireland's Own' for young fellas.

'Our Boys' was a monthly (or bi-monthly?) magazine produced by that wonderful bunch of thugs and perverts the Christian Brothers.

http://irishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Our_Boys

I remember buying it in the late 70s in school but most of the content seemed to be recycled 1950s stuff (Paddy Crosbie's "School Around The Corner" and Mucky Dunn and Murphy.)

Life ain't always empty.

Would someone mind explaining a test card?

They were essential up to and including the 80s to set up an analogue TV correctly. You didn't just rock up to Power City and drive off with a TV in your car boot, you had a guy from the TV shop come out to your house with the TV and then he'd spend about half an hour tuning it in and adjusting the circuits. It was analogue "discrete components" in those days - no silicon chips - there were all sorts of adjustments inside the back case for picture size, alignment, colour balance etc. and no two TVs would leave the factory exactly the same so they'd all need adjustment.

From about 1990 on, TVs were still analogue but silicon chips processed and decoded the TV signal, so no setup was required any more.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I thought a test card was something the TV stations put up when they'd nothing on to see if the colours worked :o. There was a little blonde girl in one of them, writing in a blackboard a something?

The A-Team is my favourite ever TV show (as per the username), but the greatest American Hero, is my favourite 80s TV theme music.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought a test card was something the TV stations put up when they'd nothing on to see if the colours worked :o. There was a little blonde girl in one of them, writing in a blackboard a something?

The A-Team is my favourite ever TV show (as per the username), but the greatest American Hero, is my favourite 80s TV theme music.

That was the BBC test card

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    That was the BBC test card

Indeed, and an iconic image of the late 20th century. It’s also better IMO than 99% of what passes for “art” these days. Made and first aired when BBC went full colour around 1970, it still looks fresh as the day it first aired nearly 50 years ago.

BBC test card, I salute you!!:D:pac::cool:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Indeed,and an iconic image of the late 20th century. It’s also better IMO than 99% of what passes for “art” these days. Made and first aired when BBC went full colour around 1970, it still looks fresh as the day it first aired nearly 50 years ago.

BBC test card, I salute you!!:D:pac::cool:

maxresdefault.jpg

That terrified me as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The A-Team

I love it when a plan comes together!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That terrified me as a kid.

I always thought she had a really dodgey green knee.:D Here she is these days.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4214042/Test-card-girl-bemused-by-her-return-to-British-television.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I blame that test card for a generation growing up with clown phobia (I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the correct word).

I temember thinking it was a really stupid programme they put on before children's programmes came on air! I had no idea it was a device for testing the colour functions of your telly as we only had black and white 'til 1983.

And less of the nearly 50 years ago talk, please! It's far too ungodly an hour for a mid life crisis!

Carol Hersee and Bubbles the clown.

The clown was originally a light blue colour (same as his hat) but they needed a strong green colour in the picture, the other two primary colours blue and red being already present, so he got "retouched".

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Beyond 2000 was an Australian TV show and looked at the amazing technology we would have in the future. Why isn’t a robot doing my 37.5 hour a week office job?? :(

I don’t remember predictions but I loved this show. Cool theme tune too

It was quite cool to get an Australian show. Unlike the nordies and those on the east coast we only had two channels in the midlands and were glad to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Started in 1988 so qualify. Your bike needed several of these, must have accessory. I reckon it was marketing genius by Kellogg’s

Many a time a brand new box of cornflakes would be opened & searched for the reflector before your brother or sister got it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I thought the girl had a yellow dress...clearly the test card failed on our TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Some kind of miracle used to occur to me every Saturday morning during the early 80s.

Each day during the week it proved impossible to drag myself out of bed to go to school.

However, all changed on Saturday mornings with the prospect of cartoons.

Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries

From the 70s, but I remember RTE showed the series on Saturday mornings in the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

branie2 wrote: »
    Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries

From the 70s, but I remember RTE showed the series on Saturday mornings in the late 80s.

It was shown at the beginning of the 1980s too. I re-watched the lot on DVD a few years back. Great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Buddy of mine had a Raleigh Vector. Thought it was coolest thing ever

I got a Raleigh Apple bike for Christmas in 1985

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

branie2 wrote: »
    The A-Team

I love it when a plan comes together!

:)

"I love it when a plan comes ogether"

"You missed a T"

"No, I'm Hannibal"...

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The 1980's

It was back when you had to meet people in town either under clery's clock or outside the GPO at a specified time.

You never knew, when people were due or buses....

For people of a certain age - you had to go to bed after Glenroe.

Strangers used to talk to each other on buses.

People used to look where they were going when they were walking.

Research was done by looking up old newspapers or microfilm.

It did not take long to check what was on the telly there was only two Irish channels, the BBC's, UTV and Channel 4

Channel 4 was great for the foreign films late at night (that young fellas did not watch for learning a language)

2FM was the cool station.

Gerry Ryan - told us 'just say no' (to drugs)

The Dart and the Irish Lotto were invented

Anyone who had a touch tone phone in thier house was fancy

In order of importance there was -

Charlie Haughey, Gay Byrne and God

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

The 70s.
    The chipper opened at 5pm during the week but lunchtime on Fridays cos Fridays you had to eat fish.

Wanderly Wagon and then FortyCoats (80s maybe)
    Thursday was Six Millon Dollar Man night with Ray and Chips for us and American Cream Soda
    Saturday was Dr Who, those daleks scared the bejaysus out of me, the most horrifying things ever.

You were sent out to the street to play, it didn't matter if you liked the other kids or not you knocked on everyone's door to see who was coming out. The first question always asked was who else it out.

During the summer all the kids where just left out together until it got dark and the parents went to the pub.
    We had piped TV piped gas and a 10p coin electric meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Great memories... grass fights ,chipper vans and a door to door cake salesman everyweek ... we occasionally rented a top loader video for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Post office savings books that you stuck 5p stamps into. You could tear out a full page and cash in 50p
    A monthly Irish comic that you got in school, 4 versions for different ages. I think one was called Anseo.

Does anyone remember The Milk Competition, a story writing competition run in schools and sponsored by Bord Bainne. Was for 5th and 6th classes and one person in every class won a prize. They had a list of prizes that you picked from when you entered, I won a Weekend Case in 5th class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Remember Free a Nipper? :)
    And the Texaco stamps??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

twirlagig wrote: »
    And the Texaco stamps??

The petrol pump attendant in our local Texaco always asked 'do you want the little stamps?' so, we called him 'Little Stamp' for years.

And yes, he put the petrol into the car, couldn't be trusting amateurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

And the Texaco stamps??
    I faintly remember Free a Nipper - did Brendan Grace do the voice? What was the ad for, exactly? Was playing in a five-a-side soccer competition around that time and one team called itself Free a Nipple...:o
    The Texaco stamps were stuck on a card and when the card(s) was full you could redeem the stamps for all kinds of junk. I got an American football and used it as a dog's toy. It lasted a week before the cur burst it, then tore it to bits in a temper.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

And the Texaco stamps??

Yes, wasn't it also Texaco that did offers for those things that were like spacehoppers but you stood on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yes, wasn't it also Texaco that did offers for those things that were like spacehoppers but you stood on them?

Lolo balls.
    Anyone remember the "Jet Pets" that Jet used to offer with the tokens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Count Down wrote: »
    I faintly remember Free a Nipper - did Brendan Grace do the voice? What was the ad for, exactly? Was playing in a five-a-side soccer competition around that time and one team called itself Free a Nipple...:o
    The Texaco stamps were stuck on a card and when the card(s) was full you could redeem the stamps for all kinds of junk. I got an American football and used it as a dog's toy. It lasted a week before the cur burst it, then tore it to bits in a temper.:(

The Nippers were these furry glove puppet yokes that were vaguely based on the Gremlins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I posted this on the All Things Retro forum a few years back, it was from an email that went around one time:

"Cast your mind back…way back…

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park, The shop down the road, Hopscotch, Donkey, skipping, handstands, stuck in the mud, football with an old can, Dandy, Beano, Twinkle and Roly Poly, Hula Hoops, Jumping the stream, building a swing from a tyre and a piece of rope tied to a tree, (If you live in Dublin the lampost), building tree-houses, climbing up onto roofs. Tennis on the street, the smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

Keep going…Hubba Bubba bubble gum and 2p Flogs, macaroon bars and woppas, 3p Refreshers and wham bars, superhero chewing gum, golf ball chewing gums and liquorice whips, desperate dan and roy of the rovers, sherbit dips and Mr. freezes, marathon bars and everlasting gobstoppers.
    An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe neopolitan

Wait ... Watching Saturday Morning cartoons ... short commercials, Battle of the Planets, Road Runner, He-Man, Swapshop, and Why Don't You?, Transformers, How do you do?, Bosco(SANDY), Forty-coats, the Littlest Hobo and Lassie, Chucklevision, The Muppet Show, MacGyver, Scarecrow and Mrs King, Little House on the Prairie and Highway to Heaven, or staying up for Knight Rider and Magnum PI.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

A million midget bites, sticky fingers and mud all over you, knee-pads on your jeans, Cops and Robbers, Rounders, tip the Can, Queenie-I-O, climbing trees, spin the bottle, building igloos out of snow banks, walking to school, no matter what the weather, running till you were out of breath. Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt, Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights, Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles, Being tired from playing... Remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon

Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

And don't forget the Marietta sandwiches we'd make by buttering a cupla Marietta biscuits and stickin' them together. And that quare oul mixture made in a tall glass with HB ice cream and Taylor Keith Red Lemonade.

I'm not finished just yet...

Eating raw jelly, orange squash ice pops

Remember when ... There were two types of sneakers - girls and boys and Dunlop Green Flash and the only time you wore them at school, was for "P.E.", Gola football boots.

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends, when nobody owned a pure bred dog, when 25p was decent pocket money, when you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny, when nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there, when it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents

When any parent could discipline any kid or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of muggings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! and some of us are still afraid of them!!!

Remember when....

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo."

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly", the game of life and connect four, atari 2600's and commadore 64's. The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. It was unbelievable that Red rover wasn't an Olympic event...

Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a biro barrel pea shooter or an elastic band.
    Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better, Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable vitamins, Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true..
    Abilities were discovered because of a "double dare"
    Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!
    Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life...

I DOUBLE DARE YA!!!
    Bagsy it, no returns and no magical changes"

Advertisement