Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The North doesn't count.:D If there was one in Newry, I don't remember it.

There was one in Derry. Travelling in and out of the north back then, we had both the army checkpoint and customs. My parents used to hide some shopping under us kids in the backseat and then get us to pretend we were asleep so they wouldn't check the inside of the car at the customs post. Not that a lot of the guards gave a sh!te anyway, it was a quick look in the boot of the car and they'd wave you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jmayo wrote: »
    And another for the oldies amongst us.

The Green Shield Stamps catalogues from 70s and 80s.

Now the youngsters should know these are film cameras.
    They had rolls of film in them that you took down to the chemist or if you were near a big town to a photography shop to get developed.

And some of the others things are Walkmen type cassette players that played music tapes.

23761d636112eb704a7383f03aa2226e.JPG

17558408911_d738f4b428_b.jpg

greenshield-july-1974-camp.jpg

greenshield-july-1974-bowie.jpg?w=800&h=981

I don’t remember those but I remember BP petrol ones where you collected tokens and could get a mug or plates with rabbits on them!!
    BP then became Statoil! I’m only 34 but have vivid memories of those. All the petrol stations did them I think

Might be more early 90s but collecting the dinky cars off Kellogg’s corn flakes?
    Was vintage van ones, racing ones and clsssics like the Mini and VW beetle. Also a brooklands racing track made of hard paper! You could collect the paper buildings as well!
    You collected tokens and sent them off. Great excitement when you got one back in the post! Kids today haven’t a clue as the volume of stuff they get is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Scanning Family Album for bikini or shower shots.

And fapping to same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Scanning Family Album for bikini or shower shots.
    I remember doing something similar with holiday brochures(although we never had a foreign holiday)with a magnifying glass, looking for boobs in the beach shots .:pac:

• Advertisement

Kellogg’s bike reflectors were another one!!

I remember doing something similar with holiday brochures(although we never had a foreign holiday)with a magnifying glass, looking for boobs in the beach shots .:pac:

Foreign holidays were another...my parents used to go a bit to places but we were always left at home. Bringing kids was unheard of. Most people went to England or the likes of France on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Argos???? In Ireland in the 70s and 80s???? Nope. The first Argos I ever saw was in Norwich in 1982. The second was in Liverpool the same year. Argos didn't arrive in Ireland until the 90s.

we had Woolworths iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t remember those but I remember BP petrol ones where you collected tokens and could get a mug or plates with rabbits on them!!
    BP then became Statoil! I’m only 34 but have vivid memories of those. All the petrol stations did them I think

Yep it was BP! We collected the whole set; cups, cereal bowls etc. I am still using what remains of the set. Although the designs have faded over the years from being in the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Big Nasty wrote: »
    And fapping to same ;)

Mea Culpa on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Damart underwear catalogues for the truly desperate

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

and let's not forget "Keeping up appearances"
    the greatest muck ever to appear on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

and let's not forget "Keeping up appearances"
    the greatest muck ever to appear on tv.

That was in the 90's? Unless there was another one.

That was in the 90's? Unless there was another one.

was it?
    i thought it was 80s. just the set, the cars, the costumes look so awful, i assumed it must have been.:mad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe you're thinking of leave it to mrs o'brien

the irish version, truly woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

was it?
    i thought it was 80s. just the set, the cars, the costumes look so awful, i assumed it must have been.:mad:

It did look fairly ancient alright. I used to kinda like that show :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

CFlat wrote: »
    Do you remember when you ordered a landline it could take a few years before it was installed?

Albert Reynolds was made the minister around 1980 or so and promised he would get this down to three months.

He was laughed out of it and nobody believed him. But to much amazement he achieved it

It did look fairly ancient alright. I used to kinda like that show :P

Aye! it did remind me of a sister of mine who went to London, became a district nurse, lofty aspirations, changed her accent to sounding like Maggie Thatcher, dispised all things Irish, and was somewhat embarrased by her relatives and her bogger roots.

My brother made Onslow look a debonair and cultured aristocrat. We would regularly encourage him, his chain smoking wife and 7 screaming brats to visit her whenever possible.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Albert Reynolds was made the minister around 1980 or so and promised he would get this down to three months.

He was laughed out of it and nobody believed him. But to much amazement he achieved it

he did not, many of my neighbours (Dublin city) were waiting until well into the mid 80s for a phone, some of them had been waiting ten years at that stage.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

he did not, many of my neighbours (Dublin city) were waiting until well into the mid 80s for a phone, some of them had been waiting ten years at that stage.

we got our land line in 1981 but the poles were lying in the ditches for years before that waiting to be put up. it was such a novelty getting the phone. we got a lovely cream one. it was put into the good sitting room to keep it clean, unfortunately we always hung out in the kitchen and couldn't hear it when it rang! then we had to get one of those cheap extensions and get it wired up out to the kitchen. my parents were nervous at first about answering the phone and they would let it ring out unless one of us was around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We had a " remote control " for the teli in the 80's !! It was a control pad on a wire connected to the teli , it trailed across the sitting room floor and caused many a child to trip over it ! As far as I remember it just did loud and low and progamme up or down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

we got our land line in 1981 but the poles were lying in the ditches for years before that waiting to be put up. it was such a novelty getting the phone. we got a lovely cream one. it was put into the good sitting room to keep it clean, unfortunately we always hung out in the kitchen and couldn't hear it when it rang! then we had to get one of those cheap extensions and get it wired up out to the kitchen. my parents were nervous at first about answering the phone and they would let it ring out unless one of us was around!

the Bast*rds in Telecom Eireann rented my Mum a phone for 30yrs sneeky bit on the bottom of the bill only discovered after years being away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My parents got their first landline around 1982 in a newly built Council estate in Dublin. There was a wait, but it was well within 3 months. Ours was a cream dialler too.:D
    the Bast*rds in Telecom Eireann rented my Mum a phone for 30yrs sneeky bit on the bottom of the bill only discovered after years being away.

I got caught out on that scam as well in the early noughties, when the line was connected and I got no phone, but had my own anyway. Got a refund eventually.

on the subject of dial up phones....i'm sure all of you got the wrong numbers calls

*ring ring....hello...hello is that Seamus, sorry no ..what? are you not Seamus, no i'm not Seamus ...are you not Seamus Hogan from Tubercurry? sorry no i'm not ....oh must be a wrong number sorry

* 5 mins later * ring ring....hello...hello is that Seamus? oh jasus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Remember Peats? They used to be in a really old building which would have been on the right of the road, it was demolished in the mid 80s. Then they moved to a new showroom on the left side, TV hifi etc downstairs, the interesting stuff as far as I was concerned - electronics components, books and computer stuff - was up some strangely steep stairs. Then that place went too and they moved to a modern building on the right hand side on the corner of Jervis St. which is where they were when they closed for good.

I remember going there to get games for a Speckky. They were tapes on a revolving display.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe you're thinking of leave it to mrs o'brien

the irish version, truly woeful

Awful shyte. It made Mrs Browns Boys look like a masterpiece in comparision. It had nothing in common with Keeping Up Appearances other than both had an overbearing middle aged main female character.

does anyone remember the Harp advert of that era. Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at ya .....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

does anyone remember the Harp advert of that era. Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at ya .....
    Sally O'Brian played by English actress Vicki Michelle (Yvette in 'Allo 'Allo )

Used to love the slighter later Harp ads depicting a Viking invasion of Dublin
    " The Danes! The Danes are coming!"
    "We af come becos we urd about de Arpa! "

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Sally O'Brian played by English actress Vicki Michelle (Yvette in 'Allo 'Allo )

Used to love the slighter later Harp ads depicting a Viking invasion of Dublin
    " The Danes! The Danes are coming!"
    "We af come becos we urd about de Arpa! "

"you could fry an egg in the sand ...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

"you could fry an egg in the sand ...."

If you had an egg!

Advertisement