Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone remember this sweet, it crackled in your tongue, would have loved to have got them when I started smoking a bit of dope and the occasional trip. :):D

Space-Dust.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Wham bar, the sticky bar that got stuck in your teeth.

Does anyone remember the Sean the Leprechaun annual? I had a copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

branie2 wrote:
    Wham bar, the sticky bar that got stuck in your teeth.

A Time Out Bar, now there was a bar that would glue your jaws together. Came in a plastic yellow wrapper with a pic of a clock on it iirc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone remember this sweet, it crackled in your tongue, would have loved to have got them when I started smoking a bit of dope and the occasional trip. :):D

Space-Dust.jpg

My brother comvinced me to take some of that when I was four or five then told me it was poison :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

'Black Jacks'. Into the fillings. The fella on the cover was the same model they used for Golly Bars. He got a fair bit of work out of Lyons tea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Telecom Eireann ad with Bob Geldof. 'Phone wreckers are idiots'

Remember another one out at around the same time about drink/drugs with the tag line 'That's a sick way to live'. Can't remember if it was Bob in that one or not.

Monster Munch crisps with that thing on the back about famous monsters that was supposed to be a series but always just featured the Cyclops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rancheros were the same - Wild West legends although they did mix it up a bit

Beef Monster Munch - could only get up North. Elusive down here.

Bacon Fries and Scampi Fries in pubs. The cardboard always had a photo of Cheese Moments that were unavailable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Double Dip sherbet was one of my favourites, anyone recall it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

James 007 wrote: »

Orange and cherry!

You can still get it in Quinnsworth Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

James 007 wrote: »

Yeah it was two compartments in silver foil lined package with a candy stick?
    Saw the liquorice one in a shop the other day

But I bought REFRESHERS instead :) the round hard ones in a packet not the yellow ones or the bigger tasteless ones that have the same name

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There's was very few franchises back in the 80's so most shops negotiated individual supply contracts and therefore shops were curious wonderlands that you could browse.
    Even better was having a summer holiday in another part of Ireland and their shops had stuff you'd never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kat1170 wrote: »
    A Time Out Bar, now there was a bar that would glue your jaws together. Came in a plastic yellow wrapper with a pic of a clock on it iirc.

Naah that was a Time Bar.

There was always a rumour going around our school that the local sweet stall (yep, there was a stall, a big old-fashioned pram outside the school every day selling sweets) was using hollowed-out Time bars to smuggle drugs and a "friend of a friend of a friend" was sold one by accident but of course no-one telilng this story had ever seen it

Time Out was a Cadbury's bar that came out in the 90s.

Life ain't always empty.

Sam Spudz crisps

Three of my favourite horror films came in the 70s and early 80s. The Omen trilogy

Remember crisps called Screaming Green Mummys? And the Barry McGuigan crisps?

B5ARcayCEAAG3o_.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Re double dip sherbet
    Orange and cherry!

You can still get it in Quinnsworth Tesco.

Oh yes... and me like a fool decided to relive my youth and bought it for me and my little niece (after all, I felt like enough of a gom buying it at all, so I acted like I was actually buying it for the young one).

Well I sure as heck had forgotten the way the sherbet went everywhere! Omg the child was covered in the stupid stuff and it was sickly sweet. I should’ve left it in the past!!

There was Big Bars. They were little bars that cost 5p.

Is there no equivalent to those septic 25p bottles of cola these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Yep I remember space dust, now called popping candy and used by posh cake bakers.
    Time bars, the best way to lose a filling and the longest way to chew 5p.
    And Curly Wurlys and Wagon Wheels were HUGE compared to now.
    There was a kids radio programme on RTE radio about 3pm, every day they would call out random names to say hello ri, just random first names and we would sit and listen to see if they said hello to us. Then Ian Dempsey in The Den did it better, you could send in a photo on someones birthday and he would show it and say happy birthday to them, he showed my sisters photo when she was 7....the best thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

This is now officially a retro sweets thread. :)

Anyone remember Gorgo bars? They were like Wham bars but were green had black bits. Also Dan (of the Desperate variety) bars.

Re the phone wrecker ad - that guy seems pretty committed to wrecking that phone. I'd like to know his motivations. Obviously phone box "wrecking" was so prevalent in the mid 80s that they were compelled to make a TV advertisement about it! Also that I recognise that guy from Irish movies, think he was in a Roddy Doyle one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Well that escalated quickly! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Economically speaking, the 80s were spectacularly bad in my home from 1983 until 1989. Seven of my older siblings emigrated, but there were so many local people in their part of New York/Brussels/London that my mother would get updates on her own children from neighbours she met in the shop. This place was a basket case, and the 'letter from America' kept our family and many others afloat in the 1980s, just as it did Irish families in the 1880s. I especially remember the ridiculously high cost of phone calls, and how the monopolies Telecom Éireann and Aer Lingus were gougers on an egregious level.

Yeah, and the hurt in the house when that Fianna Fáil politician came on RTÉ to tell us how, in response to the latest emigration statistics, "that's good; let them go. We can't all live on a small island". And then the disclosures of the corruption of senior members in his own party who had previously lectured us that "as a nation we are living beyond our means". The pathetic stunts, such as flying out to Stephen Roche in Paris in 1987 when he won the Tour de France, while behind the scenes receiving millions in various bribes from businessmen.

Real, grade A slaveen bastards, and it is painfully sore that extraordinarily corrupt, immoral, gloating, snivelling, sneering parochial thugs like Pee Flynn remain in 2018 not only outside prison but in receipt of enormous pensions.

Why not just say Charlie Haughey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

The whole bootboy/skinhead/suedehead culture in the 70's and the football hooliganism that came with it.

Richard Allen books were required reading : https://nostalgiacentral.com/pop-culture/fads/richard-allen-books/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Remember another one out at around the same time about drink/drugs with the tag line 'That's a sick way to live'. Can't remember if it was Bob in that one or not.

Was that Gerry Ryan who had the anti drugs advert on TV?

Little did we know at the time hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hate that juvenile British tabloid guff of following some celeb / minor villain around on holidays. Performs the required function though of getting the readers jealous / riled up.

"that's good; let them go. We can't all live on a small island" - Brian Lenihan Sr

"as a nation we are living beyond our means" - Haughey

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There was Big Bars. They were little bars that cost 5p.

Is there no equivalent to those septic 25p bottles of cola these days?

I remember those Big Bars, they were disgusting though :D Sugary cheap artificial chocolate.

I think bottles of Shannon Cola and Cadet Cola are still going.

Small bottles of JR cream soda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

When you think that Charlie made the famous "living beyond our means" speech in January 1980, it's stunning to realise that the country was essentially in the toilet until the mid 90s. Even when I started studying engineering in 92, I fully expected to have to emigrate unless I was lucky to get a job in the ESB.
    As it turns out, by the time I finished, the country was most definitely on the up and barely aniyone in my year emigrated unless it was by choice to work abroad for a year or two and then return home.
    Tax rates of 60%. Christ Almighty... I remember my parents listening to the budget and sighing as they realised they'd have even less money the following year.

• Advertisement

Yep, my folks both had what would be considered good jobs but we still had feck all. No holidays or Sky or anything so fancy.

Car trips used to be fun, there could be 12 of ye fired into the back. Was probably in my teens before wearing a seatbelt

Advertisement