Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I enjoyed that too.

Is there a name for when someone does that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

LOL @ people thinking the Indo is a serious newspaper. Mulally and Tobin make the Sunday World look like the work of Noam Chomsky in comparison.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I enjoyed that too.

Is there a name for when someone does that?

Intense stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Lucky for her that she's pretty...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"(Left) Holly Carpenter: (Right) Danny O'Reilly"

That's my favourite part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Heroditas wrote: »
    She's also Terry Keane's granddaughter

Nepotism is alive and well in Ireland still.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't believe the Coronas were headlining above Fatboy Slim, like wtf?

It was broadcast of RTE, so I suspect that they wanted to have an Irish act headlining it. Watched about five minutes of it and it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just after reading that piece and already I can feel like my brain... is........ really.............
    like........ em.... turning...
    stupider

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Ireland is a fantastic country, if you're attractive and hang around the right night clubs you can end up making a living from doing absolutely nothing. I love these people, fair play to them for being so attractive and... stuff, fair play in fairness,to be fair to them in fairness.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't see the issue. It's the 'celebrity' section of the online website, it's not like it's being pushed as headline news! A huge number of online media sources have sections devoted to this sort of stuff - no-one is forcing you to read it.

Not a huge fan of the Irish Independent, but it's generally pretty OK and using an explicitly labelled 'Celebrity/Society' section of their website as an example of why it's apparently a dreadful newspaper is just incredibly childish.

Also, please consider that thousands of additional people may have read that article now since it's been linked here - I know I now have, and certainly wouldn't have otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

She's as thick as bottled sh!t, but she is absolutely gorgeous. Drinks Corona apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

cerastes wrote: »
    I just have missed her rise to fame.

Yes, she seems to have risen without a trace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Whatever about the "I went to the shops. I saw a red balloon. Ice cream is tasty." style..
    I had a little bit of last-minute stress before I went out, though, as three dresses I ordered online on Monday and paid for express shipping to have them delivered in time for New Year’s Eve, but there was still no sign of them yesterday morning, so I had to resort to my back-up plan – as they say “first-world problems”.

What kind of unfortunate sentence is that? You could use all the coloured crayons and sparkles in the world, and it will wouldn't make it onto the fridge door.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes, she seems to have risen without a trace.
    *bows*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

When I grow up I want to be an article.

"When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University" - Where Ms Carpenter obviously went.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Next week should be a good article - Gerald Kean and Lisa Murphy bring in the New Year in Drayton Manor, in a series of painfully staged photographs, while the rabble of Wicklow queue for the soup kitchen. "Let them eat caiike" exclaims the lovely Lisa, while Gerald throws another log on his gargantuan fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

reads like ann and barry..,.

"ann and barry went to the shop.ann likes sweets,barry likes jam"

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I don't hold this against Holly at all. If I write a sh*te article and a "newspaper" publishes it its the editors fault. She's not a journalist but somewhere along the line a professional journalist read this and decided it was good to go. Shameless.

One question, why is there a random photo of her in Dubai at the end??

I don't see the issue. It's the 'celebrity' section of the online website, it's not like it's being pushed as headline news! A huge number of online media sources have sections devoted to this sort of stuff - no-one is forcing you to read it.

Not a huge fan of the Irish Independent, but it's generally pretty OK and using an explicitly labelled 'Celebrity/Society' section of their website as an example of why it's apparently a dreadful newspaper is just incredibly childish.

Also, please consider that thousands of additional people may have read that article now since it's been linked here - I know I now have, and certainly wouldn't have otherwise.

Ummmm.

I didn't say I was forced to read it. I read it and laughed. That's the only point I was making.

I'm delighted more people will read it. I hope they laugh too.

I think you are making points in response to someone who critiqued its journalistic merit, or hoped no one might read it. That wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course people will say there's no harm in it, and don't read it if you don't enjoy it, but the issue I have with it is that these sort of people are being pushed as role models for our youngsters.

Same as the likes of Jordan in the UK. Or Kerry Katona ffs. Young girls now think that because JOrdan is a millionaire, that is the life they should aim for. To be pretty and sexy is the main thing, to get photographed, to become a WAG or celebrity in spite of no talent whatsoever.

I hope I can persuade my daughter that there are much better female role models than these bits of fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I...am usually inclined to give the benefit of the doubt, but good gods, would even The Sun take that rubbish?

• Advertisement

Well done sir!

I thought I had mined all the fun out of it once I read it for the third time. And yet I had missed that gem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I kinda want to watch Mean Girls after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Indestructable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

"The Romeo and Juliet of our times"?!

Get fffccccuuuukkkkeeeddd! She's as bad!

Irelands "celebrity" youth are annoying, oxygen thieves! Social media has been dumbing down the average person and it seems to be acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Likewise, Roisin Ingle in the Irish Times writes pieces like primary school essays.
    It's just not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

You know that's probably there for screen readers, right? See the alt attribute of the image tag, the same text, so this text was probably appended automatically based on the alt text. So blind people get a short summary of the image (they can't see).

I'll say this much, Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly did well for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

You're all missing the real tragedy here people.
    Holly Carpenter is claiming to have a boyfriend and it's not me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/festivals/fun-ruined-by-theft-of-my-possessions-29472370.html

Some Indo journos are still putting their lives back together....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement