Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Custardpi wrote: »
    I understood that perfectly. I also understood that you were equating (for hyperbolic effect fair enough) those who poke some harmless fun at a crap article with those who engage in physical violence.

Yes, so I was joking and meant absolutely nothing by it.

If I cared enough about this topic and wanted a serious back-and-forth debate I'd have responded to your initial comment, which was fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Let's all get tickets and throw batteries at her because she isn't Shakespeare.

9v ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

It's not her fault she's an air-head, but the Independent deserve every criticism it gets for publishing her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Azalea wrote: »
    The best was the one on the sindo where the woman used her daughter's boyfriend's death from cancer to promote her shop and her daughter's modelling career. That deserved the savaging it got.

What one was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

She makes Alison O'Riordan look like Shakespeare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

NIMAN wrote: »
    I do think many people underestimate how popular these trivial 'news' type articles and celeb gossip is.

Absolutely, and I'm no angel myself in this regard. I'd love to say that I only read the New Yorker and the New York Review of Books, but I will also often have a tonne of DM tabs open and they nearly ALL get read. The DM has, IMO, shrewdly tapped into humans' primitive gossipy nature and our status as a highly social species like no other newspaper. They know exactly what they're doing.

I actually think the Indo is not doing too badly in this regard either albeit on a more local scale. Most people I know browse their site daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The indo and Holly must be delighted at all the page views / shares and chatter about this though.
    I wonder if they set out to do exactly this...

Well played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The indo and Holly must be delighted at all the page views / shares and chatter about this though.
    I wonder if they set out to do exactly this...

Well played

Yes thats right, makes me want to tune in next week to see what she had for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

GFT wrote: »
    Yes thats right, makes me want to tune in next week to see what she had for breakfast.

Rice krispies I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Amazing the number of people who dont realise the romeo and juliet tweet is a pisstake

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You can't be serious, is that actually real??

Hey, don't point that finger at ME, I didn't write it!!!!! :D:p

And yes, sadly it is. Feel a bit sorry for the kiddo in the article too. There was a photo accompanying the original article. Yeah, she probably liked the attention but I'd say she could have gone on to regret it. She was so young. An adult should have stepped in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

So the Examiner are making a news story out of this thread?

Thats equally shoddy journalism.
    Nodin wrote: »
    Nay, similar remarks on twitter. We rarely get credited when we're the source.

That Examiner article was written yesterday. This thread was only started today.

And it's been all over Facebook and Twitter for the past 24hrs or so...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Is being sh*t a good thing nowadays? If you are complete sh*t like this girl and Kat*e H*pkins does that mean you get to write for national newspapers? How do they make money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What one was that?
    Found a thread here on it :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72527693

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Zimmey wrote: »

I must say, that is reprehensible. But strangely funny. Hope the shop burns down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Whatever about the "I went to the shops. I saw a red balloon. Ice cream is tasty." style..

What kind of unfortunate sentence is that? You could use all the coloured crayons and sparkles in the world, and it will wouldn't make it onto the fridge door.

It's not even just a run on sentence - it's genuinely really bad grammar.

Good lord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

nullzero wrote: »
    Ireland is a fantastic country, if you're attractive
    She's nearly as plain as her writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Zimmey wrote: »
    Can someone who lives in the locality please confirm that this shop has since closes down?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Can someone who lives in the locality please confirm that this shop has since closes down?

Ring the number and find out

Canadel wrote: »
    She's nearly as plain as her writing.
    Not everyone is going to fancy her and she does look no better than lots of other pretty women, but I still think plain is hardly an accurate description.

Not everyone is going to fancy her and she does look no better than lots of other pretty women, but I still think plain is hardly an accurate description.

She's as plain as an good looking, fame/media/rich boyfriend hungry bimbo

Right, she's not plain.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ring the number and find out
    That number is long deleted/recycled I'd say :pac: - I remember how destroyed they got on Facebook. The one time I agreed with a company being slaughtered on social media.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh she's hardly plain, but a duckface and makeup do wonders.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

and photoshopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Sheeps wrote: »
    So the Examiner are making a news story out of this thread?

Thats equally shoddy journalism.
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Sadly they haven't done that. The article is actually a (sym)pathetic one about the "hate" & "abuse" which Carpenter has apparently suffered. Strangely it's accompanied by several screengrabs of tweets which contain neither. Presumably there'll be a follow up article in the Indo soon detailling how her life has been "destroyed" by the "online mob" or some such drivel.

They described her slating as hate, its a slating, but I can't say I've interpreted hate, so they're overdoing it by a longway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Wibbs wrote: »

Am I the only one who thinks the duckface pose actually makes girls look less attractive? :confused:

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's all I mean. She's objectively pretty (even if not everyone fancies her, or would go for that look themselves - I know I wouldn't). People who call her plain must be utterly stunning :pac: and the Photoshop thing is like something a jealous girl would say. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

so did Conor74 (op) come across this article all by himself and share it with us? then it developed legs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement