Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think Juliet's vocabulary may have been slightly larger than Holly's.

Custardpi wrote: »
    I know this is just an entertainment piece & therefore can't be fairly measured against more "serious" journalism.

It's role as an entertainment piece makes it even less acceptable, I think. Whatever we think of them, Holly and Danny ('Dolly") both have relatively glamorous careers. Any article detailing their exploits should zip along with interesting stories and anecdotes. Instead, this was a turgid death-march towards the abyss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I sometimes wonder who classes these people as "celebrities", and even more bafflingly, thinks anybody gives a single microscopic **** about them or their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I have no idea who this girl is, or her boyfriend, and I can't be bothered to even google because I have no interest in either of them. However, the level of vitriol aimed at her here and elsewhere for writing this article certainly does resemble jealousy. Why else would anyone get so worked up and make such cruel comments over something so trivial?

More importantly, why is everyone directing their criticism at the author of the article, a young woman with no editorial power and below-average writing skills, and not at those responsible for providing her with a platform-- those who by all rights should have both? The majority of twenty-something girls would jump at the chance to make a few bob and get their name and face in a national paper. This is not unusual, or harmful, and shouldn't make someone a target for such nastiness.

If anyone should be criticised for this, it should be whoever gave her the gig to begin with, and then published her article after they'd read it. Newspapers will publish anything they think will drive traffic. Do you think the person(s) who allowed this to be published didn't realise that it was bad? Or do you think they realised it was, and were prepared to throw this girl under the bus because they knew it would bring them attention and consequently ad revenue?

There are three groups who should be brought to task over this: the general public for having an interest in this crap, the people who read things like this to get annoyed about them, and the content publishers who are getting rich off the back of both. Aiming your ire at the single individual who happened to pen the piece is both cruel and missing the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

This girl is getting a bit of a raw deal here, whereas the editor, the person who made the decision to hire her and publish this, has emerged without so much as a mention.

I actually think she deserves a bit of credit because she has clearly overachieved here. And you know what? I suspect she'll be hired again, because page views translates to money in online media, and a lot of you will click to open her next piece just to see how stupid it is. Who's the stupid one though?

• Advertisement

Deep Six wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder who classes these people as "celebrities", and even more bafflingly, thinks anybody gives a single microscopic **** about them or their lives.

Some people do care though. They may not frequent this site, but they are out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The indo/sindo/herald are muck but I think there's a bit of overboard stuff being said here, like "She's a retard", "She indirectly opens her legs for money".

Worse than anything she wrote.

Laugh at it and move on. It's getting loads of attention by people who "don't care".

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

trixiebust wrote: »

I love the way that in this article she is obsessed with being healthy and sends photos of her meals to her personal trainer, but she says all this just above a photo of her having a cigarette.

Azalea wrote: »
    The indo/sindo/herald are muck but I think there's a bit of overboard stuff being said here, like "She's a retard", "She indirectly opens her legs for money".

Worse than anything she wrote.

Laugh at it and move on. It's getting loads of attention by people who "don't care".

I agree. Critique the piece , not the author . What's happening now is that some posters have gone too far with the personal vitriol, which legitimises preachy posts like the one earlier ("who's really the stupid one?")

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm referring to the picture of her on the boat (think it might be the other article linked to that one. The one where she's in Dubai)

The one where she's posing with a bottle of Jaegermeister?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

5starpool wrote: »
    I love the way that in this article she is obsessed with being healthy and sends photos of her meals to her personal trainer, but she says all this just above a photo of her having a cigarette.

We're all human FFS, even bodybuilders who're insanely health conscious have the occasional pig out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Liamario wrote: »
    Hold on now horse. Her age is irrelevant. This is meant to be a serious newspaper, or at least its misrepresenting itself as one.
    Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that people care about what she's doing in her personal life. The article reads like musings of a child. It makes her look like a gob****e and it makes the paper look even worse.

24 year olds should be at maximum brain capacity in fact. 24 is post school, post university. There are 24 year old writers and proper journalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I'll say this much, Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly did well for himself.

Not bad alright, for a fella who honks his way through every song:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The one where she's posing with a bottle of Jaegermeister?

Never mind....Found it!

24 year olds should be at maximum brain capacity in fact. 24 is post school, post university. There are 24 year old writers and proper journalists

Holly is a model. You cannot compare her to properly qualified journalists. Someone obviously reached out to her to write an article. It backfired completely but at least she gave it a go, it's not her profession. It'd be the equivalent of a teacher having to go into a 5 star restaurant and become head chef. They'd give it a go, but more than likely they'd produce sub standard food...likewise with Holly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is the level of content people should expect from the Indo. It's not this girls fault she can barely string a sentence together, she should never have been put in this position. Whatever editor let that piece go to print knew what the reaction would be. Cynical stuff from an absolute rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

smurgen wrote: »
    She's retard but hot.therefore she's allllllriiight.

Hmm, considering the subject matter stones and glasshouses come to mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Holly is a model. You cannot compare her to properly qualified journalists. Someone obviously reached out to her to write an article. It backfired completely but at least she gave it a go, it's not her profession. It'd be the equivalent of a teacher having to go into a 5 star restaurant and become head chef. They'd give it a go, but more than likely they'd produce sub standard food...likewise with Holly here.

I was responding to the "she's 24 what do you expect" post. Should she have a better sub editor, yes she should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I have no idea who this girl is, or her boyfriend, and I can't be bothered to even google because I have no interest in either of them. However, the level of vitriol aimed at her here and elsewhere for writing this article certainly does resemble jealousy. Why else would anyone get so worked up and make such cruel comments over something so trivial?

More importantly, why is everyone directing their criticism at the author of the article, a young woman with no editorial power and below-average writing skills, and not at those responsible for providing her with a platform-- those who by all rights should have both? The majority of twenty-something girls would jump at the chance to make a few bob and get their name and face in a national paper. This is not unusual, or harmful, and shouldn't make someone a target for such nastiness.

If anyone should be criticised for this, it should be whoever gave her the gig to begin with, and then published her article after they'd read it. Newspapers will publish anything they think will drive traffic. Do you think the person(s) who allowed this to be published didn't realise that it was bad? Or do you think they realised it was, and were prepared to throw this girl under the bus because they knew it would bring them attention and consequently ad revenue?

There are three groups who should be brought to task over this: the general public for having an interest in this crap, the people who read things like this to get annoyed about them, and the content publishers who are getting rich off the back of both. Aiming your ire at the single individual who happened to pen the piece is both cruel and missing the bigger picture.

There is a bit of harm in it though, promoting the idea that vacuousness and essentialy a self centered attitude is somehow acceptable and promoting that in a national newspaper,the editor should be slated too. I appreciate its numbers of sales to them,I'm sure there are more,but I pay next to no attention to any pop up ads in the sides of pages,and follow any up by searching content of ads elsewhere even less so.
    Some people have been a bit crueler,some of it may be inaccurate or unjustified, I can't confirm if that's correct though as I haven't been at any openings where she's been present
    (Public social sorts).
    Hammer89 wrote: »
    This girl is getting a bit of a raw deal here, whereas the editor, the person who made the decision to hire her and publish this, has emerged without so much as a mention.

I actually think she deserves a bit of credit because she has clearly overachieved here. And you know what? I suspect she'll be hired again, because page views translates to money in online media, and a lot of you will click to open her next piece just to see how stupid it is. Who's the stupid one though?

I never heard of her before, I'm replying as I don't like this kind of thing, I've opened some links,after this thread runs its course, as per usual I won't be opening any indo links or where I see her name now that I can see what she'll be promoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I remember a friend who worked in publishing at the time said Wayne Rooney's wife's autobiography was like that - "When I was 17 I got a part-time job in Top Shop. I was thrilled because I love clothes" etc.

Still sold by the load though. A lot of people really love the inane so I guess when there's a market for it, someone will harness that...

• Advertisement

This is the level of content people should expect from the Indo.

Generally, I don't think the indo`s content is at this level. I agree it is a rag, but it rarely plums these depths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I agree. Critique the piece , not the author . What's happening now is that some posters have gone too far with the personal vitriol, which legitimises preachy posts like the one earlier ("who's really the stupid one?")

Preachy? Pull the other one. I know how this game works and just wanted to shed a little light on it considering there's been 10 pages of hateful comments toward the girl, who's done very little wrong as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

We're all human FFS, even bodybuilders who're insanely health conscious have the occasional pig out.

Pigging out is one thing, that's with food. You're either a smoker or your not. She obviously is, so she shouldn't be bull****ting on about how healthy she is. The girl is a complete imbecile and gets through life on her looks and who she dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mundane, badly written yet generally inoffensive article gets way more attention in social media circles than it should. I don't think the Indo will be sacking her any time soon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

You don't need to be a qualified journalist to be able to write a summary of your evening.

It's like she was speaking into a dictaphone or submitting it over the telephone and someone at the other end was typing it out verbatim without tidying it up.

It just reads awful and discredits herself and the newspaper. Her age, profession and experience in this medium is irrelevent. She's an adult.

Communication in all forms is important, as a newspaper / online article is a type of communication, it should be a fluid and coherant piece and easily to comprehend.

This clearly is not.

Preachy? Pull the other one. I know how this game works and just wanted to shed a little light on it considering there's been 10 pages of hateful comments toward the girl.

Most people get the `game', you are not offering any revelatory insight. Even if a million 'stupid' people read her next article, it doesn't change the fact that this article was very poor.

And btw I agree that the hateful comments are unacceptable, but I would submit that most posters have criticised the article rather than the author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...write an essay about your New Year's Eve...but in the style of a 7 year old...

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/holly-carpenter-celebrates-2016-with-boyfriend-danny-oreilly-at-coronas-nye-gig-34328771.html

Well done Holly. That was perfect.

That's unbelievable shite, even for that shower.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pigging out is one thing, that's with food. You're either a smoker or your not. She obviously is, so she shouldn't be bull****ting on about how healthy she is. The girl is a complete imbecile and gets through life on her looks and who she dates

Not true. Some people only smoke occasionally. Yes, I know the whole term "social smoker" is treated like it is a racist remark around here but these people exist...they're very common. I myself would classify myself as one, and I am an extremely healthy person but I still have the occasional ciggy.

Your last comment is horrendous..."oh she's good looking anything she does doesn't count because she has an unfair advantage"....you use what you got in this life pal, some people use their brains to be successful, some use their looks. It's an equal playing ground. In fact, more luck to Holly if she causes you to react like this. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Preachy? Pull the other one. I know how this game works and just wanted to shed a little light on it considering there's been 10 pages of hateful comments toward the girl, who's done very little wrong as it happens.

With a couple of exceptions there's been very little "hate" in these pages, just robust criticism, with a jocular edge to it. I know it's the fashion these days to label any sort of disagreement or criticism as "hate" or "harrassment" but in most cases it really isn't. So long as nobody is issuing threats of violence against the writer of an article commenting on its deficiencies is perfectly legitimate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How? Did she only break two crayons writing the article?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement