Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She is no Glenda Slagg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So this is who wrote those Ann and Barry books we read as children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    We're all human FFS, even bodybuilders who're insanely health conscious have the occasional pig out.

Body Builders aren't health concious, they are astehtically concious, there's a massive difference. A ridiculous percentage of them abuse the feck out of their bodies to look a certain way and take years off of their lives in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

LMAO that's so bad its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Romeo and juliet of our times, that is a load of bollix in fairness.

Ye but in fairness it was one idiot backing up another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sheeps wrote: »

So the Examiner are making a news story out of this thread?

Thats equally shoddy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Regarding the Doireann Garrihy's romeo and Juliet comment, did she ever read past the prologue?

Shes basically saying she wants them to die in a double suicide as a result of godawful advice from a drug dealing priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Sheeps wrote: »

Sadly they haven't done that. The article is actually a (sym)pathetic one about the "hate" & "abuse" which Carpenter has apparently suffered. Strangely it's accompanied by several screengrabs of tweets which contain neither. Presumably there'll be a follow up article in the Indo soon detailling how her life has been "destroyed" by the "online mob" or some such drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At least when Holly's granny Terry Keane was opening her legs for Charlie Haughey and writing about it weekly in the Sindo she actually knew how to write. This Carpenter chick needs to go back to 4th class and learn about how to write proper sentences.

Anyway that article gave me a right laugh, I look forward to more of Holly's musings in de Herald.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Zimmey

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have been visiting the Independent website for several years now, and the dumbing down of it has been obvious over the last few years.

I think they see the success of the likes of the Daily Mail website, and are trying to do a version with Irish celebs, as few as we have compared to the UK.

It is not really a quality newspaper any more, and I visit it rarely now.

I'd say the dumbing down is working for them if they are persisting with it. o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

We should expect to see her on the Late Late show next weekend, the home of all Ireland's greatest celebrities.

I'm not convinced that this tweet wasn't sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Liamario wrote: »
    We should expect to see her on the Late Late show next weekend, the home of all Ireland's greatest celebrities.

Let's all get tickets and throw batteries at her because she isn't Shakespeare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Romeo and juliet of our times, that is a load of bollix in fairness.

Romeo and Juliet were in their early teens and probably more literate for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The best was the one on the sindo where the woman used her daughter's boyfriend's death from cancer to promote her shop and her daughter's modelling career. That deserved the savaging it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Zimmey wrote: »
    I'd say the dumbing down is working for them if they are persisting with it. o_O

I do think many people underestimate how popular these trivial 'news' type articles and celeb gossip is.

The Daily Mail is one of the most popular sites in the UK, and its full of nonsense too. I would say there are more people in the UK and Ireland interested in tabloid type news than 'real' news stories.

So the Examiner are making a news story out of this thread?

Nay, similar remarks on twitter. We rarely get credited when we're the source.

Hammer89 wrote: »

I wouldn't even watch the show, much less get tickets for it.

I do think many people underestimate how popular these trivial 'news' type articles and celeb gossip is.

The Daily Mail is one of the most popular sites in the UK, and its full of nonsense too. I would say there are more people in the UK and Ireland interested in tabloid type news than 'real' news stories.

While that may be true, this is really, really cringeworthy stuff even when you apply the low standards of celeb articles.

Azalea wrote: »
    The best was the one on the sindo where the woman used her daughter's boyfriend's death from cancer to promote her shop and her daughter's modelling career. That deserved the savaging it got.

Yeah, way back in August 2015.......

• Advertisement

Oh get over yourself! Nobody has advocated violence here, except you. While a couple of comments have been a bit mean the victimhood angle you're trying to suggest here really doesn't fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I did a Google - it was 2011.

I don't think it's the topic of her essay, but more to do with how badly written it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod

Criticise the editor, the publisher, the writer, fair enough but the abuse stops now, thanks.

Azalea wrote: »
    I did a Google - it was 2011.

Was it now. Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Custardpi wrote: »
    Oh get over yourself! Nobody has advocated violence here, except you. While a couple of comments have been a bit mean the victimhood angle you're trying to suggest here really doesn't fly.

I was joking. I don't actually want to team up and throw batteries at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H. L. Mencken, US editor (1880-1956)

I was joking. I don't actually want to team up and throw batteries at her.

I understood that perfectly. I also understood that you were equating (for hyperbolic effect fair enough) those who poke some harmless fun at a crap article with those who engage in physical violence.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Mod

Criticise the editor, the publisher, the writer, fair enough but the abuse stops now, thanks.

Really not being funny but could you clarify by what you mean by "abuse"? Are you using the Examiner's definition? I think the vast majority of posts have been fair comment, though a couple do step over the mark I'd agree.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

In fairness, if you'd asked me to write a piece about how I spent new year's eve the next day , it would have been a couple of hundred words of incomprehensible childish gibberish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement