Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Generally, I don't think the indo`s content is at this level. I agree it is a rag, but it rarely plums these depths

I wouldn't mind getting my plums in there either, ding dong. Plum/plumb the depths,
    I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You made a direct quote in which I didn't say one of those words.
    Here's the facts,
    She IS a smoker. Smoking is not healthy.
    She DOES get through life on her looks and who she dates.
    She IS an IDIOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Not true. Some people only smoke occasionally. Yes, I know the whole term "social smoker" is treated like it is a racist remark around here but these people exist...they're very common. I myself would classify myself as one, and I am an extremely healthy person but I still have the occasional ciggy.

Your last comment is horrendous..."oh she's good looking anything she does doesn't count because she has an unfair advantage"....you use what you got in this life pal, some people use their brains to be successful, some use their looks. It's an equal playing ground. In fact, more luck to Holly if she causes you to react like this. It's hilarious.

No it isn't. This is terry keanes granddaughter dating Mary Black's son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Custardpi wrote: »
    With a couple of exceptions there's been very little "hate" in these pages, just robust criticism, with a jocular edge to it. I know it's the fashion these days to label any sort of disagreement or criticism as "hate" or "harrassment" but in most cases it really isn't. So long as nobody is issuing threats of violence against the writer of an article commenting on its deficiencies is perfectly legitimate.
    Nah it's become a bit too personal imo.

I also don't see anything wrong with a person getting through life via their looks - there are lots of modelling jobs out there, someone's gotta do em!

No proof she's an imbecile either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Most people get the `game', you are not offering any revelatory insight. Even if a million 'stupid' people read her next article, it doesn't change the fact that this article was very poor.

And btw I agree that the hateful comments are unacceptable, but I would submit that most posters have criticised the article rather than the author.

I've been a freelance writer for several years so I would value my own opinion quite highly on this matter, in the same way I'd value a mechanic's opinion on a car higher than someone else's. That's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Nodin wrote: »
    How? Did she only break two crayons writing the article?

Because she got paid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You made a direct quote in which I didn't say one of those words.
    Here's the facts,
    She IS a smoker. Smoking is not healthy.
    She DOES get through life on her looks and who she dates.
    She IS an IDIOT

Point one is irrelevant, point two may or may not be true, and point three wouldn't matter if a worse eejit hadn't let her "write an article" for indo, accurately described in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I enjoyed how she said something was obvious that wasn't at all obvious.

Using "obviously" is incredibly obnoxious. If you need to point it out, then it's not obvious, is it? It's up there on the shít heap with "surely"...

"Today I went to the shop with my mommy, I bought 5 sweets. I like sweets. I also like puddles. When I grow up, I want to be a Ninja Turtle"

Absolute tripe of a newspaper. Why do these tosser make it into the news? Analytics... unfortunately this is what they have to go by. "We got 6 million clicks on the Holly article, they love her. Can we run an article on how she coped with the stress of ordering 3 dresses late and expecting them to arrive before new years eve?, they'll love that".

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

It'd be the equivalent of a teacher having to go into a 5 star restaurant and become head chef. They'd give it a go, but more than likely they'd produce sub standard food...likewise with Holly here.

But a teacher (or normal person) would know they were not capable of doing the job to a satisfactory standard like Holly should have, as a model she should know how important media on the internet is an how it will be over analysed and never go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I've been a freelance writer for several years so I would value my own opinion quite highly on this matter, in the same way I'd value a mechanic's opinion on a car higher than someone else's. That's all I'm saying.

Boards doesn't count:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Icaras wrote: »
    But a teacher (or normal person) would know they were not capable of doing the job to a satisfactory standard like Holly should have, as a model she should know how important media on the internet is an how it will be over analysed and never go away.

Who is to say she wasn't forced to write this article by her management company/superiors for publicity? Some models have to put up with a lot of bullsh*t...it's not all just smiles for the camera and push your t*ts out.

The girl is a complete imbecile and gets through life on her looks and who she dates
    I usually dislike the "jealousy" cat-call that gets thrown out in relation to stuff like this, but the above anger does make it seem a likelihood imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Azalea wrote: »
    Nah it's become a bit too personal imo.

I also don't see anything wrong with a person getting through life via their looks - there are lots of modelling jobs out there, someone's gotta do em!

The reason why she's being criticised (mostly in a light hearted manner) is because she's stepped out of her modelling career (nothing wrong with that agreed) into an attempt at journalism, which really doesn't suit her. People are just having fun with that. The day that say, Salman Rushdie takes a break from writing to engage in an underwear modelling campaign for Calvin Klein we can probably expect similar commentary on his efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Generally, I don't think the indo`s content is at this level. I agree it is a rag, but it rarely plums these depths
    Do you write for them yourself, by any chance? ;)

Some of the critics of her writing aren't the most handy with a bit of scribing themselves btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Some of the critics of her writing aren't the most handy with a bit of scribing themselves btw.

Fair point. Boards.ie should probably reduce the rate those posters are paid for their content.

I usually dislike the "jealousy" cat-call that gets thrown out in relation to stuff like this, but the above anger does make it seem a likelihood imo.

No anger at all. I'm just strongly stating facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I found this on another site. Brilliant!

http://i.imgur.com/hHyImlt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

No anger at all. I'm just strongly stating facts my opinion.

FYP

peckerhead wrote: »

Sorry, was a typo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Using "obviously" is incredibly obnoxious. If you need to point it out, then it's not obvious, is it? It's up there on the shít heap with "surely"...

"Today I went to the shop with my mommy, I bought 5 sweets. I like sweets. I also like puddles. When I grow up, I want to be a Ninja Turtle"

Absolute tripe of a newspaper. Why do these tosser make it into the news? Analytics... unfortunately this is what they have to go by. "We got 6 million clicks on the Holly article, they love her. Can we run an article on how she coped with the stress of ordering 3 dresses late and expecting them to arrive before new years eve?, they'll love that".

'I bought dresses and went to a party and people like tapas and andrea is going out with bill but bill isn't into going out with her and prefers mona, but I was talking to mona and she said she said to him that .....'

The beating heart of 4th year Mount Anville, brought to you by the Sindo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Shocking piece but I know if I was offered money to write a mundane piece about my weekend I'd jump at it.

A lot of the blame should lie at an editor, but going by a lot of their online stuff, I wonder does any of it go anywhere near a spell checker or editor.

For those who know vastly more than me about these things, how much would you expect to get paid for writing 1 of these pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Hopefully the follow up won't be some compensatory piece, littered with malapropism and ill-placed ornate language. That's more Conor McGregor's style though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

No it isn't. This is terry keanes granddaughter dating Mary Black's son.

I know I said I'd get my coat, but are/aren't we living in the end times? Is anyone else thinking unholy union (of the offspring) and the anti Christ?
    cerastes wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting my plums in there either, ding dong. Plum/plumb the depths,
    I'll get my coat.
    peckerhead wrote: »

In their defence, aside from it making me laugh,even if it was puerile reasons of my own doing ( as have some other posts too).
    I don't usually criticise spelling errors unless they are painful to read and not make the meaning understandable anyway, and I've been a "victim" of autocorrect, so I could see how plumb could become plum, but it made me smile/guffaw to myself plus it was understandable.
    Sorry, was a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Who is to say she wasn't forced to write this article by her management company/superiors for publicity? Some models have to put up with a lot of bullsh*t...it's not all just smiles for the camera and push your t*ts out.

I dont know much about the industry but my understanding is most models work on a contractual basis with either they or an agent working for them source the work - I am open to being corrected on this.
    I have never heard of a model being forced to write articles before but again am open to correction.

At best this is a very naive mistake but with two very similar articles my opinion is she deserves critism, hopefully she takes it onboard and tries to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

She's not 24. She's 24 and a half.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    She's not 24. She's 24 and a half.

But it's 2016 now, She probably thinks she's 25

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ziedth wrote: »
    Also the line "My boyfriend Danny O’Reilly was obviously playing with The Coronas" literally made me cringe
    I read that line that if it wasn't for Danny, no-one would care about her... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Romeo and juliet of our times, that is a load of bollix in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The verbal bile in this thread would eat through galvanising.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement