Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Ah, reading the Indepdent? There's your problem. I deleted my bookmark a few months ago when it became increasingly frustrating to see the newspaper itself try to ramp up the cultural relevance Irish celebrities who aren't celebrities. Not that there's anything wrong with this in itself, it's better than hearing about popular culture wayward the western empire, it's just that the articles themselves were vapid, uninteresting and generally a waste of time.

The sheer awful quality can be great for a laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

This reads like a translation of an Irish essay I would've had to write for homework in first year about a concert I went to.

Ah, reading the Indepdent? There's your problem. I deleted my bookmark a few months ago when it became increasingly frustrating to see the newspaper itself try to ramp up the cultural relevance Irish celebrities who aren't celebrities. Not that there's anything wrong with this in itself, it's better than hearing about popular culture wayward the western empire, it's just that the articles themselves were vapid, uninteresting and generally a waste of time.

The sheer awful quality can be great for a laugh though.

You're missing out on some outstanding journalism...the life of someone who ("obviously", according to her) is going out with some singer, the stress of coping with 3 dresses, the practicality of tapas when you're with a crowd etc. etc. I'm excited about the next instalment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I just have missed her rise to fame,
    Who is this imbecile? Who is she related to?

She and her ilk make Amanda brunker look like a real journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah it was a harmless article, she is only 24 she is hardly going to be writing about peace in the middle east.

It's a lot worse the Sunday World have Amanda Brunker writing about things she knows jack sh1t about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Jesus wept. Is it an article or a diary?!

Loike, omg! owh my gawd, and I was loike,for real? And she said and he said and I was like oh my actual gawd!

Ah it was a harmless article, she is only 24 she is hardly going to be writing about peace in the middle east...

24?

Dammit, I thought next week she might tell us about the school tour and seeing a cow for the first time...or maybe her favourite colour...

24?

Dammit, I thought next week she might tell us about the school tour and seeing a cow for the first time...or maybe her favourite colour...

I never heard of her either but seemingly won Miss Ireland a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I read the Dubai link first and while I felt it definitely looked more like a blog entry then an article I didn't think it was absolutely awful or anything....... then I read the NYE article, I know the news has changed and everyone can't be an investigate journalists but that reads so much first year school essay.

Also the line "My boyfriend Danny O’Reilly was obviously playing with The Coronas" literally made me cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I never heard of her either but seemingly won Miss Ireland a few years ago.

She's also Terry Keane's granddaughter

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

cerastes wrote: »
    I just have missed her rise to fame,
    Who is this imbecile? Who is she related to?
    Terry Keane, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Ah it was a harmless article, she is only 24 she is hardly going to be writing about peace in the middle east.

It's a lot worse the Sunday World have Amanda Brunker writing about things she knows jack sh1t about.

Hold on now horse. Her age is irrelevant. This is meant to be a serious newspaper, or at least its misrepresenting itself as one.
    Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that people care about what she's doing in her personal life. The article reads like musings of a child. It makes her look like a gob****e and it makes the paper look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Why not? By twenty-four most 'journalists' would be walking out of graduate school with the capability of stringing a sentence together. Plenty of people could write an intelligent article on difficult subject matter at that age. Allowing unnecessary exceptions like this is just contributing to the deteriorating quality of our national newspapers.

Edit: for clarity's sake, I'm significantly younger than the writer of the article and I can identify its various atrocities against journalistic literature with ease, many people younger than twenty-four would be able to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Jesus, that is embarrassing.

My dad is 78 and buys the Indo daily because that's what his father did back when the Indo was a newspaper. I'll have to have a word with him if that's now the standard of writing.

It's sad that 90% of people on this site could write better than that. That's without considering all the media graduates struggling for work.

Guess it helps to be pretty, have Terri Keane in the family and be shagging a Corona. Says much about the people of Ireland that there is a market for this garbage.

Why not? By twenty-four most 'journalists' would be walking out of graduate school with the capability of stringing a sentence together. Plenty of people could write an intelligent article on difficult subject matter at that age. Allowing unnecessary exceptions like this is just contributing to the deteriorating quality of our national newspapers.

Edit: for clarity's sake, I'm significantly younger than the writer of the article and I can identify its various atrocities against journalistic literature with ease, many people younger than twenty-four would be able to as well.

Sure wasn't it in the celebrity or showbiz part of the paper I think, yeah she made it all about herself but it seems to be a trend these days for the papers to get models to write articles in these sections.

It's still better IMO than having the likes of Brunker talking about serious issues she hasn't a clue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can't believe the Coronas were headlining above Fatboy Slim, like wtf?

I wonder did Holly ever get to the bottom of her fake stalker?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

I read the article.
    The article was good.
    Articles are in newspapers.
    When I grow up I want to be an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Indo = click bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have been visiting the Independent website for several years now, and the dumbing down of it has been obvious over the last few years.

I think they see the success of the likes of the Daily Mail website, and are trying to do a version with Irish celebs, as few as we have compared to the UK.

It is not really a quality newspaper any more, and I visit it rarely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Quality aside, the hell really cares that someone went to a concert with their boyfriend last night? Someone please play Devil's Advocate here and tell me the logic behind who thinks who else would find this relevant?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't believe the Coronas were headlining above Fatboy Slim, like wtf?

I wonder did Holly ever get to the bottom of her fake stalker?

I'd sat the coronas rang in the new year then Fat boy took over as the real headline act

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

She went out with Cian Healy previously. I remember an equally horrendous article about girls chatting up rugby player at a niteclub and she was right there loike.

She's a celebrity because of who she goes out with then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It reads as if Ralph Wiggum was her english teacher in secondary school.

I think the tight dress and knee high boots are more important to the publishers than the article itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Does nobody proof read the articles before printing though? Surely somebody should be editing the articles to make them appear more professional? They really are shocking and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I enjoyed how she said something was obvious that wasn't at all obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I enjoyed how she said something was obvious that wasn't at all obvious.

Yes that was my favourite bit too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement