Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly Carpenter...whoever you are...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

Likewise, Roisin Ingle in the Irish Times writes pieces like primary school essays.
    It's just not good enough.

Yeah, but it isn't fashionable to ridicule the Irish Times (the 'paper of record' :)) or it's 'journalists'. The same 'article' in the Irish Times wouldn't draw the same ridicule, it would probably be praised.

Both newspapers are tripe, for somewhat different reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Drinks Corona apparently

Comment of 2016 winner for me.

Buttercake wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/festivals/fun-ruined-by-theft-of-my-possessions-29472370.html

Some Indo journos are still putting their lives back together....

At least she isn't telling us about an abortion that no one forced her to have à la Ingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

The bit I don't get is that an editor commissioned and edited this piece. It's literally written like it's by 'Holly aged 8 and a half'. Surely her editor could have at least broken up that monster sentence about the dresses and added something extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Likewise, Roisin Ingle in the Irish Times writes pieces like primary school essays.
    It's just not good enough.

That woman has been robbing a living for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I'll say this much, Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly did well for himself.

He did though.

I'm sure he doesn't give a fiddlers about her article submission skills.

I'd say the Indo are delighted with the response too. They probably think this tactic of using accepted colloquialisms among the youth of today will secure or heighten readership.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Love howHolly Carpenter says her figure is down to all her healthy eating regimes yet one of the photos shows her with a fag in one hand.
    I bet that helps as an appetite suppressant... Some "role model"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

How pathetic is ones existence when the best you can be described as is:
    Doireann, who is the younger sister of Fair City star Aoibhinn Garrihy
    ??

She's got me checking up her boyfriends music. It's actually quite funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Our very own Padraiggg can produce material far surpassing that tripe in quality; why isn't he being given a couple of inches in the Independent? The next Roddy Doyle in the making!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98035257&postcount=654
    A Quiet Pint

Click click! Went a noise. Click click again! It was the same noise! Well not exactly the same noise it wasn't a time travelling click but it was sonically similar enough to the other one that it was probably coming from the same source. Trent manoeuvred his eyelids to the closed position. This was bad. Click click! It was the sound of the noise again and now trent had decided it was one of three things probably. 1. Someone was loading a loaded shotgun at his head. 2. Someone had just broken his neck four times. 3. A grasshopper, genus African Big, was on the bar somewhere and performing a sub par mating ritual. He turned his head and scanned the bar for randy inverterberates. No grasshopper. Also his top shirt button had pinged off under the muscle strain of his head movement. No broken neck. That left only one thing... Trent turned round as slowly as he could (extremely quickly) and he was suddenly staring not down the barrel of a gun but up the barrel of a gun because the man holding it was a terrible shot and also he was dead!! Click! Click! Click! Click! The noise was making a sound again! Trebt looked past the not a grasshopper using his not broken neck and through the barrel of a shotgun that wasn't down but up and saw a pen. UNLICENSED TRACHEOTOMY! Trent had put the pen through the throat of the bad guy without even realising it and was doing a crossword on the other side of his head and clicking the pen! OTOLARYNGOLOGIST! Shouted trent as he suddenly filled in 9 down which related to ear nose and throat doctors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So blind people get a short summary of the image (they can't see).

Did you just explain what is meant by being blind? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

For me the funniest line of the link has to be "continue reading below".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What did she mean by "my boyfriend is obviously playing with the Coronas"? It's not obvious to all reading.

antodeco wrote: »
    Did you just explain what is meant by being blind? :D

Yeah, I thought that particular poster might need it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yeah, I thought that particular poster might need it. :cool:

The coronas aren't even an international band.she might aswell be going out with one of the sawdoctors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Heroditas wrote: »
    Love howHolly Carpenter says her figure is down to all her healthy eating regimes yet one of the photos shows her with a fag in one hand.
    I bet that helps as an appetite suppressant... Some "role model"

That's the railings behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭circadian

That article done my hangover no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Jesus, that is embarrassing.

My dad is 78 and buys the Indo daily because that's what his father did back when the Indo was a newspaper. I'll have to have a word with him if that's now the standard of writing.

It's sad that 90% of people on this site could write better than that. That's without considering all the media graduates struggling for work.

Guess it helps to
    be pretty, have Terri Keane in the family and be shagging a Corona. Says much about the people of Ireland that there is a market for this garbage.
    I don't see the issue. It's the 'celebrity' section of the online website, it's not like it's being pushed as headline news! A huge number of online media sources have sections devoted to this sort of stuff - no-one is forcing you to read it.

Not a huge fan of the Irish Independent, but it's generally pretty OK and using an explicitly labelled 'Celebrity/Society' section of their website as an example of why it's apparently a dreadful newspaper is just incredibly childish.

Also, please consider that thousands of additional people may have read that article now since it's been linked here - I know I now have, and certainly wouldn't have otherwise.

Hopefully it informs them of the vapid nonesense propagated by the indo, and reminds them it is a waste of paper and ink.
    Yes, she seems to have risen without a trace.

That was meant to be "I must have missed her rise to fame" autocorrect, and I had never heard of her, I don't know any, but there must be some more capable writers than her, whether a graduate of journalism or media or not.
    In the least I haven't written I the style of "I like school holidays, on my school holidays I went to Disney world, my favourite colour is blue" and then had that published by my family's friends in a national newspaper.
    That's actually mildly infuriating.

They row in to defend her with that, these people are deluded.
    He did though.

I'm sure he doesn't give a fiddlers about her article submission skills.

I'd say the Indo are delighted with the response too. They probably think this tactic of using accepted colloquialisms among the youth of today will secure or heighten readership.

I used to buy the indo every now and again, then infrequently and now never. I didn't really notice what tosh most it was until after I came across someone criticising it, that was already after I'd stopped buying it more regularily, probably around the time some other fake hack was getting laid into over her musings on an apartment she bought. It was like a habit buying it, at least the herald doesn't purport to be something its not. That said, I consider it's even worse now than it was before. I'm sure most of the potential market for this will get their updates on social media and have no long-term interest in reading the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

She's retard but hot.therefore she's allllllriiight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What is this criticism ? This is one of the most powerful pieces of journalism I have ever read. Hunter S Thompson would be be proud. I think it's incredible how she immerses herself into the 3Arena,at possibly the greatest concert to headline the 3Arena.I think she is a disciple of gonzo journalism, I wonder does she count Louis theroux as one of her influences ?

I felt like my mind had left my body and I had been transported to another place in time. It was moment of self transcendence. Holly should receive the pulizer prize for her outstanding contribution to her field.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

padd b1975 wrote: »
    That's the railings behind her.

I'm referring to the picture of her on the boat (think it might be the other article linked to that one. The one where she's in Dubai)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

She is not alone in this to be fair. Just look at the RTE.ie "entertainment" section, with lots of Irish "stars" showing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

smurgen wrote: »

Not really, Anybody who comes across as so naive, self-righteous and "above the rest" really annoy me.
    Her Boyfriend, Danny O'Reilly is an insufferable prick and would not be in show business if it wasn't for his already famous mother who gave him a shortcut into the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Buttercake wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/festivals/fun-ruined-by-theft-of-my-possessions-29472370.html

Some Indo journos are still putting their lives back together....

Sweet Jesus, how will she manage? I missed this one.
    Her fun was ruined, welcome to a less insulated world than you thought existed.
    Not really, Anybody who comes across as so naive, self-righteous and "above the rest" really annoy me.
    Her Boyfriend, Danny O'Reilly is an insufferable prick and would not be in show business if it wasn't for his already famous mother who gave him a shortcut into the business.

Didn't know this and had to Google him to see who the mother was.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

smurgen wrote: »

Is she really that hot though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Still, a better love story than twilight.
    Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I know this is just an entertainment piece & therefore can't be fairly measured against more "serious" journalism but even by the standards of celebrity fluff this is poor. It makes Barry Egan's output look like that of Robert Fisk by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes, Romeo and Juliet were privileged spoilt brats. FFS.
    One Airhead backing up the other. Their main ambition in life is to Loike, who can bag the richest kid on the block. Uuuu rosanna, your Loike my hero

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Just another airhead who indirectly opens her legs for a living. You see her type on Twitter all the time, tweeting all the Irish rugby players, jersey pulling if you will. Pathetic.

We're a very shallow nation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement