Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

efb wrote: »
    People that get the calculators out when we go for food can feck off away from me.

I dunno, it can be handy to just split the bill if everyone has has roughly the same, but I like my wine and wouldn't be nearly stingy enough to expect others at the table who didn't drink, or drank less to pay extra on my account. I think it'd be fairly stingy to expect it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People that get the calculators out when we go for food can feck off away from me.

Don't really see what the problem is with this. Obviously if there's nothing more than a few euro in it, its quite annoying. But for a few people out for dinner, I think its pretty unfair on the non drinkers unless they have had starters/ dessert while others haven't. Similarly if people join late and the rest of the table have already had a load of booze, or if someone decides not to eat.

Generally not a problem among friends, but you only have to take a read of this thread to see how many people out there are complete tightarses.

I absolutely cant stand freeloaders who use other people's tips to fund their share of the bill. I have absolutely no problem if people decide not to tip though, its their preference, just don't take my money back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Don't really see what the problem is with this. Obviously if there's nothing more than a few euro in it, its quite annoying. But for a few people out for dinner, I think its pretty unfair on the non drinkers unless they have had starters/ dessert while others haven't. Similarly if people join late and the rest of the table have already had a load of booze, or if someone decides not to eat.

Generally not a problem among friends, but you only have to take a read of this thread to see how many people out there are complete tightarses.

I absolutely cant stand freeloaders who use other people's tips to fund their share of the bill. I have absolutely no problem if people decide not to tip though, its their preference, just don't take my money back out.

We go for food and someone decides not to eat???? I often don't drink at a meal i don't go chopping it off, if there are few wine drinkers they often chip in more, but tight asses with calculators and cupons don't get asked back

there was a guy who once swiped the tips- he was noticed- we didn't bring him again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Katgurl wrote: »
    Years ago I used to sometimes be given a complimentary double pass for the cinema from a friend of my mother's. I'd often bring a friend or my boyfriend. One day one particular friend mentioned she wanted to see a movie that was out and asked if I had any comps. I initially assumed she intended for us to go together so was confused when she was arranging to collect ticket a few hours before I finished my shift in the shop I worked in. After we got around the confusion, it transpired she wanted me to give her the ticket to go with Her boyfriend. That was ok with me even though I thought it a bit cheeky so I gave her the comps and off they went.

Later that evening after I'd finished work and they'd left the cinema I met up with them and we decided to grab something to eat. They wanted to meet in Burger King (yuck). It turned out there was an offer on whopper meals with the cinema tickets they had used the comps for. Her boyfriend loved BK but she didn't want a whopper meal so suggested I get the deal (can't remember details).

After I returnted with my food she informed me I could either financially reimburse her the money I had saved or I could donate her my chips.

That is an unbelievable brass neck right there.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    Theres a washing machine and dryer at work and one miser brings in 5 big bags of dirty clothes to be washed.

He also robs anything that he can use at home e.g. Toilet cleaner, Tea Bags, Bin Bags, Toilet Roll.

He also brings in his electric devices and chargers and makes sure every one of them is charged before he goes home.

He was caught bringing household waste into work to be illegally dumped.

This guy is so tight.

christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The same can be said for vegetarians. There is a huge difference between someone ordering a veggie main for €9 and someone who gets the fillet steak for €25. I love my steak but I wouldn't order the most expensive meal on the menu unless I was willing to pay for it and I certainly wouldn't expect someone else to subsidise me.

Going on experience, there are many people who wouldn't order expensive steak/wine if they were just paying for themselves but when they are in a group they know that some people will order very little and won't kick up a fuss when the bill is split, so the scabs won't end up paying even the cost of their meal/drinks :mad:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The same can be said for vegetarians. There is a huge difference between someone ordering a veggie main for €9 and someone who gets the fillet steak for €25. I love my steak but I wouldn't order the most expensive meal on the menu unless I was willing to pay for it and I certainly wouldn't expect someone else to subsidise me.

Going on experience, there are many people who wouldn't order expensive steak/wine if they were just paying for themselves but when they are in a group they know that some people will order very little and won't kick up a fuss when the bill is split, so the scabs won't end up paying even the cost of their meal/drinks :mad:

would they get invited a second time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

would they get invited a second time?

Nah, sure they're vegetarians. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

The most recent one was a few months back, I was on a stag and got into rounds with two other guys, I bought 1st, the next guy git the 2nd round then the other lad said he wasn't in the mood for another drink and didn't buy us any either. A few minutes later he was at the next table, got into rounds with them and got another plenty more free drink.

Years ago (late 90s) 4 of us rented a house together, a friend of ours stayed over one night when we were only there a few days. He ended up staying every night for a year, he slept on the couch. He never paid a penny in rent or towards shopping. In the year he was there he bought a chicken for dinner once. So about £3 to live and eat with us for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

RonanP77 wrote: »
    The most recent one was a few months back, I was on a stag and got into rounds with two other guys, I bought 1st, the next guy git the 2nd round then the other lad said he wasn't in the mood for another drink and didn't buy us any either. A few minutes later he was at the next table, got into rounds with them and got another plenty more free drink.

Years ago (late 90s) 4 of us rented a house together, a friend of ours stayed over one night when we were only there a few days. He ended up staying every night for a year, he slept on the couch. He never paid a penny in rent or towards shopping. In the year he was there he bought a chicken for dinner once. So about £3 to live and eat with us for a year.

And you didn't kick him out or say anything? Because he was a friend? Fcuk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Katgurl wrote: »
    Years ago I used to sometimes be given a complimentary double pass for the cinema from a friend of my mother's. I'd often bring a friend or my boyfriend. One day one particular friend mentioned she wanted to see a movie that was out and asked if I had any comps. I initially assumed she intended for us to go together so was confused when she was arranging to collect ticket a few hours before I finished my shift in the shop I worked in. After we got around the confusion, it transpired she wanted me to give her the ticket to go with Her boyfriend. That was ok with me even though I thought it a bit cheeky so I gave her the comps and off they went.

Later that evening after I'd finished work and they'd left the cinema I met up with them and we decided to grab something to eat. They wanted to meet in Burger King (yuck). It turned out there was an offer on whopper meals with the cinema tickets they had used the comps for. Her boyfriend loved BK but she didn't want a whopper meal so suggested I get the deal (can't remember details).

After I returnted with my food she informed me I could either financially reimburse her the money I had saved or I could donate her my chips.

She's not stingy, she's mentally ill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Stinge is what happens in the company of other people that person was practically making a living off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is strange coming right after the posts about people who don't want to pay for other people's drinks and expensive meals. Is it OK if you calculate it roughly in your head?

Actually I'm curious to know how other people do it. I'm in the habit of totting it up in my head as I decide what to order so I'd have a fair idea of how much I'm spending. Saves getting a shock when the bill comes. I'd usually know how much my meal costs to within 5-7 euro.

Is that normal or stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We go for food and someone decides not to eat???? I often don't drink at a meal i don't go chopping it off, if there are few wine drinkers they often chip in more, but tight asses with calculators and cupons don't get asked back

We went out with a couple for pub lunch. The guy brought a 2 for 1 coupon but he used it to subsidise the meal for all of us. So 4 people ate but 1 meal was covered by the coupon. We all split the bill evenly. I saw that as thoughtful.

I was poor at the time and really appreciated it.

Looking back at the original thread and looking at the most recent posts here, it's funny how many things have moved from stingy to frugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I volunteer in a centre for disadvantaged kids (in easily one of the poorest parts of Dublin) like some of these kids arrive and havent eaten since school friday (I teach sundays). The centre is mainly runs on donations and volunteers and the whole time I've been there (5 years) they've only asked one guy not to come back. He was a football coach but used to sneak into the art room and take supplies for his own kids! Then they foung out thst he out his kids in the classes by putting them down as their mothers maiden name and putting them straight into the system (so nobody could deny them a place based on income and address)

He got the boot three years after starting as for the whole weekend his kids were getting about 200 worth of classes and food and then on the weekdays using the art supplies he stole :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Was with a lad years ago who had two free admission tickets to the Spring Show. We go to a side gate. "We're helping Mick O'Neill from Mullingar who is showing cattle" sez he to the gate man "and we forgot our trade passes". We get in ok. Even though he had free tickets he still had to blag his way in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure you don't need need a calculator. You make a note of how much what you ordered cost, and pay for that. I tend to pay my half on my card, so I'm not 'chipping in' for the rest of them.

I mean, theres not being stingy, then theres people taking the ****ing piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The neighbour next door to where I work, the owner is one of the richest men I know but he is so stingy.

We go to lunch on meetings he has never paid. Its always either me or my boss.

There is 2 girls working in his building in the winter they aren't allowed to turn on the heaters unless there is ice on the ground. The call into us and practically sit on our heaters (not that I mind their company :P)

He calls over to us for our scrap printed paper so he can cut them in half so the girls in the office can write notes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

rob316 wrote: »
    The neighbour next door to where I work, the owner is one of the richest men I know but he is so stingy.

There is 2 girls working in his building in the winter they aren't allowed to turn on the heaters unless there is ice on the ground. The call into us and practically sit on our heaters (not that I mind their company :P)

He calls over to us for our scrap printed paper so he can cut them in half so the girls in the office can write notes on them.

He is a genius. That is why he is one of the richest people you know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

rob316 wrote: »

That has to be a health and safety violation. Tell them to stand up to him and demand that he heat the work premises to a comfortable degree. Mentioning the word "fines" may make him be a tad flexible on the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Where do you draw a line in the sand between one being stingy and one better off if they had nothing because like alot of people with money they live a life of misery.
    There is no hitch on a coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

When I was in college we went on a class trip to Poland, and I got a taxi back to the hostel one of the nights with two of the lads.

The taxi ended up being really cheap and when we went to split it one of the lads slyly opened his wallet and told us he had no money. I could see a huge wad of cash so told him I could see he did have money and to please hand over his share. He handed me the note but wouldn't let go as I tried to take it from him so I had to literally pull it out of his hand. Then he got out of the taxi, slammed the door behind him and stormed into the hostel. Without a doubt the biggest stinge I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I know a female who, purposely to save money, only allows herself an annual hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

ratmouse wrote: »
    I know a female who, purposely to save money, only allows herself an annual hair cut.

Not that big a deal... I only get my hair cut when I really have the spare cash... once a year-ish :P

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A trip to the hairdressers can cost a bomb for women!

Stingiest thing I saw was NYE a couple of years ago. My sister in law was having a bit of a get together in her house. It was a standard house party type thing - you bring your own drink, and then she'd got food and stuff in. A friend of my sister in law arrived and brought her husband. We'd heard stories before of how much of a stinge-bag he was, and he certainly lived up to his reputation.

His wife brought her usual bottles of Smirnoff Ice, and he brought a naggin of Smirnoff. As the night wore on, I noticed that he seemed to be getting a lot of mileage out of his naggin - every time I saw him pour a drink, the measures were generous, so it wasn't like he was just nursing the thing for the night. He was also fairly pissed, and It's a long time since I drank, but I was sure I never got that many drinks from one naggin; I wondered had he brought a second one. Then was coming back from the bathroom later on and noticed him standing in the kitchen with the lights off, using his phone as a torch acting all shifty. My sister in law keeps a bottle of vodka in her freezer; she rarely drinks it, but likes the odd cold one. He was topping up his naggin from her bottle. I mentioned it to her on the sly and we checked the bottle. She reckoned he'd had the guts of another naggin out of her bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Have to agree with other people here! Haircuts can really cost a bomb, especially with long here. She might treat herself to a really nice salon once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

My roommate once ordered a dominos meal deal for 21.99. We lived at the very end of an enclosed apartment complex and on the very top floor. The delivery man parked his car outside the complex and it would have taken him at least 5 minutes to get to our room, when he arrived my roommate handed him 22 euro, the delivery man handed over the pizza and just as he was about to walk away my roommate demanded the 1c change off of him. The guy had to go out his car again get the 1c and walk all the way in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

hope you never ordered out of there again as there would have been added extras in your pizza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Have to agree with other people here! Haircuts can really cost a bomb, especially with long here. She might treat herself to a really nice salon once a week.

She goes to an old type hairdressers where the prices are really low. She gets a dry cut that costs €10. She goes around with her fringe down around her nose until it's time for the yearly cut.

Advertisement