Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options
1195196197198199201»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

My grandmother loves to read and in the past would often buy herself whatever the newest books in Easons were or magazines. She loved Phoenix magazine and Reader's Digest among others. She'd often give out the books or magazines after reading them if she thought you might enjoy them too.

For a time she saved up her Phoenix magazines and Reader's Digests in a little pile for her son (my uncle) because she knew he'd enjoy them and he/the wife would be too tight to buy them. He wouldn't call over very often so when he did there would be a pile of free magazines there if he wanted them. So one day he calls with his wife, they have tea and biscuits or whatever and before they leave my gran points out the pile of magazines she'd kept for him and told my uncle they were for him if he wanted them. He took the lot but on their way out my gran overheard my aunt say to him in disgust "We're going to have to pay for them to go in the bin now" or something to that effect. This must have been about 15 years ago and my gran still isn't over the stinginess of my aunt worrying about the bin charges 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I assume you mean the shop was cutting mastheads off the undelivered papers.

That's normal in the newspaper /magazine trade. The retailer takes the copies from the wholesaler on a sale-or-return basis. To save having to transport the unsold copies back in their entirety, the mastheads are cut off and returned.

Been working that way for generations.

On the other hand, if the shop owner was retrieving delivered (and sold) but un-read papers (or even read ones), that's stinge / theft.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The point, I think, was that he was doing it at the hotel where the wedding was, not his shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

enjoying 10 month old stinge having to be explained

(miss this thread…)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a woman Ive never seen before at work today come up to me and ask me if she could have my can of coke when I was finished with it! (For the deposit)

I get some people throw them away still, but I actually do keep them and I just can't imagine the nerve of going up to strangers and asking them for an empty can, lug it all the way home and then to the shop, for the sake of 15c.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's a video doing the rounds of a guy driving for Panda and he's at one of those can/bottle return machines returning hundreds of cans and bottles he recovered from the garbage he collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Panda won't be impressed, they presumably sell their recovered material. I know the new scheme is designed to stop bottles and cans going into the general recycling but it's still material Panda is collecting by truck, so it's theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You've never been to Germany, i'm guessing. Only last week in Cologne / Dusseldorf, I had people reaching out their arm as I walked by with an (even almost) empty bottle / can.

In Germany, people don't put bottles / cans / glass into the bin, they leave it BESIDE the bin. A minute or two later, it's in someones bag. Great system! (The 'not throwing it in the bin' system, not the recycling charge system)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've been to Germany many times.

Have often done the "beside the bin" thing because who wants to return bottles when they're abroad for a few days!

However I feel that's different. The people begging you for cans on the street are often homeless or beggars. This is within the workplace. It just seems like alot of effort for someone who's likely on 50k+ a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not sure if stinge or not, more cheeky

Was at the jet wash recently and there was alot of silt on the ground (allbeit not from my car but an accumulation of all the cars)

As I cleaned my car the lady behind asked me if I would wash all the silt away as even though its not off my car it would dirty her car as it was "so low down" and get onto her trousers

I laughed and said if she gave me a fiver id do it as it would take about 10 minutes to get rid of half of it… she just rolled up her window (actually, maybe im the stinge for asking her now haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Thirty years ago or so, my brother in law used to bring his elderly mother to the bingo every Tuesday and Thursday. About 3 miles there and back on country roads. Every time he’d ask her for a fiver “petrol money”! This was his own mother, who gave him his dinner once a week, and another on a plate to take home, ( as his then wife was a lousy cook.)

Advertisement