Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

I get called stingy when i go for a big group meal
    I have no problems sharing the bill ans a tip.

my problem is the guzzling wine drinkers who flatten the bottles and then expect you to shell out for it (i hate wine)

Got nailed for 100 euro before (starter , main course and coffee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

wowy wrote: »
    Paddy Cow, did you win?
    Do you think I would be posting on the stingy thread if someone had posted me an out of date winning ticket? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm curious to know whether I'm stingy or not.

I moved to the UK a few years ago and I was really surprised at how people commonly buy drinks for themselves rather than rounds for everyone in the group. I found it strange at first but have grown to like the freedom to drink at my own pace. Then there's the fact that you don't have round dodgers and you don't end up buying a big round before the group splits up for whatever reason. It has become normal to sit in a group and be in a round between myself and herself.

Came home for St. Patrick's day and went out for a few drinks. We were a group of 5 and we joined a group of 8 only 2 of whom were connected to my group. I got a round of drinks for our group and didn't offer to buy anyone else a drink. It didn't even occur to me to to offer because I wouldn't want to be in such a big round and certainly not with strangers who were half cut. I only thought about it later and now I'm asking the people of boards for your opinion.

I think I was sensible but was I also stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Came home for St. Patrick's day and went out for a few drinks. We were a group of 5 and we joined a group of 8 only 2 of whom were connected to my group. I got a round of drinks for our group and didn't offer to buy anyone else a drink. It didn't even occur to me to to offer because I wouldn't want to be in such a big round and certainly not with strangers who were half cut. I only thought about it later and now I'm asking the people of boards for your opinion.

I wouldn't consider this stingy, if you were already in a round then you stick to that round, I'd have done the same thing. Then again, maybe that makes me stingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Your grand.

A here, rounds are madness. If I happen to fall into a round I make it my business to buy one early and assume I won't get my fair share out of it. There's always cute "hures" who'll ship away and avoid paying or simply don't have the money for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Rounds is just about the stupidest way to drink I've ever encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was referred to as stingy the other night cos I wouldn't pay for other peoples take away. The bill total was somehow €124 something, between 5 people. My pizza and can of coke, was €12.30, so thats what I was prepared to pay. But they decided we should just spilt the bill 4 ways, since one of them 'forgot his wallet' and I told them I wasn't paying double what I ordered for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

cloud493 wrote: »
    I was referred to as stingy the other night cos I wouldn't pay for other peoples take away. The bill total was somehow €124 something, between 5 people. My pizza and can of coke, was €12.30, so thats what I was prepared to pay. But they decided we should just spilt the bill 4 ways, since one of them 'forgot his wallet' and I told them I wasn't paying double what I ordered for them.
    You are in the right here. Someone should either a. have coughed up for the guy who forgot his wallet and got the money off him later that night or the next day or b. ye should have split that between ye and got him to get ye a round of drinks next time ye were out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

€125 on takeaway for 5? WTF did they order & from where?

wyndham wrote: »
    €125 on takeaway for 5? WTF did they order & from where?

Dominoes. I only got a tiny pizza like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Rounds is just about the stupidest way to drink I've ever encountered.

Never tried snorting vodka then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

€125 quid in dominoes....holy fcuk, what size are your mates???

retalivity wrote: »
    €125 quid in dominoes....holy fcuk, what size are your mates???

Big lads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

On a related note, I have a code for getting 50% off Dominoes when you order online or via the app and order more than €50..... Don't think I can post it here though

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Paying full price on an order for more than two people at Domino's is insanity. Between this thread and their online deals, there is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

I know a stingy fcuker who went to a workmate's mother-in-laws funeral purely because there was a free bar afterwards !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Stojkovic wrote: »
    I know a stingy fcuker who went to a workmate's mother-in-laws funeral purely because there was a free bar afterwards !!!

Sounds more like poor form than stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

You people haven't seen stingy until youve seen rubber floor mats cut in half and used as mud flaps..

Edit: Christ, I can't find the bloody pic..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    On holidays, 2 couples. We went for a meal in this really nice restaurant. The country was relatively poor, so the meal was dirt cheap.

End of the meal, 3 of us put our money in, the cost of the meal plus a generous tip for the staff. The 4th person tried to only put in the difference to make our payment equal the exact bill. Basically, our tips were subsidising his meal!!

His partner made an absolute show of him for it, awkward at the team but hilarious when i think back now. Stingy sh*te!

I've had an identical experience except it was three couples. I wish someone had made a show of him for it; we all played a little dumb and pretended we thought he had misunderstood (it was my scabby ex-boyfriend's even scabbier brother) so he could save face. He ended up paying his share of the meal and no more. Each to their own with regards tipping but it had been a fantastic meal, the owner knew one of us, had sent us a free bottle of wine and then upgraded an other one maintaining the price of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Dominoes. I only got a tiny pizza like.

Worst ordering ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Stojkovic wrote: »

Is he from Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Years ago I used to sometimes be given a complimentary double pass for the cinema from a friend of my mother's. I'd often bring a friend or my boyfriend. One day one particular friend mentioned she wanted to see a movie that was out and asked if I had any comps. I initially assumed she intended for us to go together so was confused when she was arranging to collect ticket a few hours before I finished my shift in the shop I worked in. After we got around the confusion, it transpired she wanted me to give her the ticket to go with Her boyfriend. That was ok with me even though I thought it a bit cheeky so I gave her the comps and off they went.

Later that evening after I'd finished work and they'd left the cinema I met up with them and we decided to grab something to eat. They wanted to meet in Burger King (yuck). It turned out there was an offer on whopper meals with the cinema tickets they had used the comps for. Her boyfriend loved BK but she didn't want a whopper meal so suggested I get the deal (can't remember details).

After I returnted with my food she informed me I could either financially reimburse her the money I had saved or I could donate her my chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Katgurl wrote: »
    Years ago I used to sometimes be given a complimentary double pass for the cinema from a friend of my mother's. I'd often bring a friend or my boyfriend. One day one particular friend mentioned she wanted to see a movie that was out and asked if I had any comps. I initially assumed she intended for us to go together so was confused when she was arranging to collect ticket a few hours before I finished my shift in the shop I worked in. After we got around the confusion, it transpired she wanted me to give her the ticket to go with Her boyfriend. That was ok with me even though I thought it a bit cheeky so I gave her the comps and off they went.

Later that evening after I'd finished work and they'd left the cinema I met up with them and we decided to grab something to eat. They wanted to meet in Burger King (yuck). It turned out there was an offer on whopper meals with the cinema tickets they had used the comps for. Her boyfriend loved BK but she didn't want a whopper meal so suggested I get the deal (can't remember details).

After I returnted with my food she informed me I could either financially reimburse her the money I had saved or I could donate her my chips.
    I hope you told her exactly where to go! The cheek of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My father is notoriously tight with money.
    Last year, for our birthdays, he sent myself and my brother one of those Millianare Raffle lottery tickets that cost about €20.
    Only, HE HAD SIGNED THE BACK OF THE TICKET WITH HIS NAME.
    Basically, if I had won anything on the ticket I couldn't claim without notifying him.
    And he wonders why I no longer speak to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I get called stingy when i go for a big group meal
    I have no problems sharing the bill ans a tip.

my problem is the guzzling wine drinkers who flatten the bottles and then expect you to shell out for it (i hate wine)

Got nailed for 100 euro before (starter , main course and coffee)

I don't know why more restaurants don't implement the system that seemed to be fairly common in the US when I was there last - basically everyone round the table gets a number to which everything they order is allocated and you can ask for separate bills each or combined for couples etc.

Think I've posted this before but we used to go out for a few drinks and a curry on a Sunday afternoon when I lived in London. One couple would turn up (to general groans) and when we got to the restaurant would always order a decent bottle of wine, take a tiny glass each and then try to hide it, with the expectation of sharing the cost out amongst everyone else and then taking it home with them. After a couple of times they got rumbled so we would make a point of drinking it before we left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

People that get the calculators out when we go for food can feck off away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Knew a guy in a place I worked that would ask for the loan of a newspaper and happily walk away with it never to return it.

He got away with this for a while until he was confronted about it. So he changes tack. He takes the newspaper on the promise of bringing it back promptly, photocopies all the articles he is interested in reading and returns it.

Reads photocopies at his own leisure, of which he had much because he was deeply lazy as well as shamelessly mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

efb wrote: »
    People that get the calculators out when we go for food can feck off away from me.

I agree. There are few things more off putting on a night out to dinner with friends, than a lack of basic math skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres a washing machine and dryer at work and one miser brings in 5 big bags of dirty clothes to be washed.

He also robs anything that he can use at home e.g. Toilet cleaner, Tea Bags, Bin Bags, Toilet Roll.

He also brings in his electric devices and chargers and makes sure every one of them is charged before he goes home.

He was caught bringing household waste into work to be illegally dumped.

This guy is so tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

efb wrote: »

Yeah, too stingy to buy smartphones...

Advertisement