Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭costadeldole

Sounds like the dream :D

It sure was. In the winter my girlfriend loved coming round to the sauna as she called it. Condensation running down the steamed up windows meant clothes were optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This isn't stingy as such. Or maybe it's stingy in a good way.

I know a guy who has a great gob and lots of money and he doesn't care about money. Very generous, modest kind guy and would hate waste.

He bought a new car which developed a problem where it just wouldn't start. It was under warranty and kept bringing it to the dealer who really didn't know what was wrong with it. He kept losing the car for a day here and there and the garage couldn't figure out how to solve it. Eventually the dealer offered him a brand new car and he was horrified. He couldn't stand the idea that the car would be wasted so he insisted they find the fault and fix it which they eventually did.

P.S. I would have taken the new car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I knew an old fella who used take apart the envelopes he got his mail in and put them back together inside out and reuse them.

I knew an old fella who used take apart the envelopes he got his mail in and put them back together inside out and reuse them.

I do a similar thing with padded Jiffy envelopes. I slit them open with a knife and reuse them. I just paste over my address with a blank piece of paper. If I have to post anything larger I just cut up a free brown paper bag from Heatons and use that.

Another thing I do is to re-sharpen my Gillette Fusion razor blades by rubbing them one way over a pair of jeans 20 times. I am still on the same cartridge after 3 months of shaving. Mind you, I only shave every other day to save on wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I put on my washing machine on after 11.00pm when the electric units are 50% cheaper.

When making a mug of tea, I just pour a mugful of water into the kettle so it boils faster to save on electric. It just covers the element in the kettle so it doesn't burn out.

Dunno how much of your list is true, but these two aren't stingy, they're just good sense. Lots of people do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Dunno how much of your list is true, but these two aren't stingy, they're just good sense. Lots of people do this.

Yeah I know it was supposed tobe a bit of satire but those two are grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

I've just watched Extreme Supermarket Coupling on TLC. 800 yo yos worth for 9 dollars. That sh*ts extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

I've just watched Extreme Supermarket Coupling on TLC. 800 yo yos worth for 9 dollars. That sh*ts extreme

Yeah was watching that last week with the woman who managed to get a shopping value of 1000 down to 0. Impressive stuff that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

pipelaser wrote: »
    Let me know what you think x

Ahahaha :):):)

I dont know if she is a bit stingy or a bit stupid.

At most, I hope you helped point out to her what 4/£700 is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Ahahaha :):):)

I dont know if she is a bit stingy or a bit stupid.

At most, I hope you helped point out to her what 4/£700 is.

I took the diplomatic route and told her it was a nice idea but who knows what will happen with the girlfriend between now and then. Don't mind the student taking the couch, blah blah.
    It's a pity, she's nice so I think she just must have lost her head for a while, but she's certainly one to be watched after that. :-)

Another thing I do is remove unmarked postage stamps from envelopes by spraying the back of the envelope with WD40. This softens the adhesive and they peel straight off.
    I then wipe the adhesive off using a cloth, and stick them onto new envelopes with Pritt Stick.
    I haven't bought a postage stamp in 5 years as a result.

Another thing I do is remove unmarked postage stamps from envelopes by spraying the back of the envelope with WD40. This softens the adhesive and they peel straight off.
    I then wipe the adhesive off using a cloth, and stick them onto new envelopes with Pritt Stick.
    I haven't bought a postage stamp in 5 years as a result.

You realise that that pushes up the price of postage for the rest of us as well as making the service suffer? It's not stingy, it's theft.

Speaking of post, I have a friend that lives abroad. Another friend decided to put together a care package for her, and said she had enough space for a letter or something small and asked me if I'd like to put anything in it. So she's now made up a big ol' box of chocolates, crisps, etc., and it's probably going to cost around 60 quid. I bought a little postcard with a picture of our hometown on it and wrote her a hello. I was over in my friend's house the other night and apologised that I had forgotten the postcard, and that I'd just send it myself. She was a bit disappointed since apparently she had been under the impression that since I wanted to put something in the box, we'd be splitting the cost :/

Yeah, like I was going to pay her 30 quid so that she could send our friend a whole box of stuff while I'd get to send a postcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

pipelaser wrote: »
    I took the diplomatic route and told her it was a nice idea but who knows what will happen with the girlfriend between now and then. Don't mind the student taking the couch, blah blah.
    It's a pity, she's nice so I think she just must have lost her head for a while, but she's certainly one to be watched after that. :-)

Fair play to you for being diplomatic.

I guess if she was being ruthless about it, would be a different story. Just came from a silly place I guess.

Reminds me once, a friend of mine Ive known for years (who is very kind hearted), a friend of hers was getting married. I met her handful of times. Vaguely knew she was getting married. And my friend asked me if I wanted to contribute to her wedding present. Queue a "eh? Um, shes your friend" type of response. I guess people just dont think sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Miner's hat around the house to save on Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

No posts since Novemeber. Yee shower of stingy so and so's.

Here's something for people using this thread as a manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I went to my stingy friends place after xmas and he offered me a coffee. He asked me if I take sugar and said well sorry if I do cause he ain't got none. He enjoyed telling me he's hasn't gotten round to taking a fistful of sugar sachets from the self service coffee dispenser in the local convenience store as a friend of his had suggested he do so.

The next time I was in the supermarket I took note of how much a own brand 1kg of sugar cost. Think it was like 1.20. I also wondered how many fistful of sachets would you have to take before you'd have a whole kilogram of the stuff - must be a good few lol .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

Before mobiles became common place - 1996 - I was living with two lads in Dublin- one from Cork and one from Laois.

Every month or two the telephone bill would come in and we'd all tick off the numbers we'd called so we could divide up the bill fairly.

Sounds a bit pre-historic now to me.

I think every rented house would do the same because while calling local numbers wasn't so expensive unless you stayed on for more than 3 minutes, 'long distance calls' added up.

There'd always be numbers that no-one owned up to calling so The first time I suggested we'd divide the cost of those by 3. The cost for each of us might only be a fiver on average.

Not a hope.

Each time, the two lads would bring the list of unallocated numbers into work... And then they'd phone up those numbers and try to work out who the people were on the other side were.

Those phone conversations (at work) would start along the lines of... 'Hi I'm (deliberate mumble)... Who is this?'

It might then take them a week to finally agree who'd pay...

Used to wreck my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Surely Mr D Mumble should have paid for those calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

In the canteen at a former workplace, a bloke used to get the same thing every Friday; Chips, Sausages, Beans and Curry.

His trick was to pour the curry onto the plate first, and then pour the beans directly on top, thus concealing the curry. He frequently boasted about how he managed to scam free curry.

He made an annual saving of approx €5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Saipanne wrote: »
    In the canteen at a former workplace, a bloke used to get the same thing every Friday; Chips, Sausages, Beans and Curry.

His trick was to pour the curry onto the plate first, and then pour the beans directly on top, thus concealing the curry. He frequently boasted about how he managed to scam free curry.

He made an annual saving of approx €5.

Curry was 10c? Reminds me of student days hiding the packets of sauce under the plate so you weren't charged for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Curry was 10c? Reminds me of student days hiding the packets of sauce under the plate so you weren't charged for them.

Yeah, like a spoon of curry sauce. It was a subsidised kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'm really stingy when it's comes to a VPN for American Netflix. It's a fiver a month but I keep getting free trials instead. Must have per 100 email addresses created

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jonny666 wrote: »
    I'm really stingy when it's comes to a VPN for American Netflix. It's a fiver a month but I keep getting free trials instead. Must have per 100 email addresses created

I use something that has cost me absolutely nothing and has never stopped working.

Anyway, YAY, thread moving again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jonny666 wrote: »

you don't need to go to those lengths at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

bluewolf wrote: »
    you don't need to go to those lengths at all

Oh really??
    Care to share. Making the emails is a pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A very rich neighbour of mine who lives in the UK sent all his Christmas cards for the area in one large envelope to his brother's address along with a note asking him to deliver them to his friends and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Couple of years back I was working in IT repair/networking etc and so anyway a friend passed on my number to another lad who needed some help. I would have known him from my locale growing up but lets say we wouldn't have been too close, anyway, basically he got turned onto me.

Tbh, before I called over to his place I thought it was going to a be a quick routine fix, but I ended up doing a couple of hours work getting all his gear in order. He had just returned from the states with lots of new fangled apple gadgets, cameras and stuff and he needed help setting it all up, sorting out some OS and hardware compatibility issues, installing software and whatnot.

I'd never mentioned money at any stage and wouldn't have asked for anything either for simple jobs but people were generally kind enough to donate something if I was doing them a favour and helping them out, considering that was my profession at the time. Otherwise, I'd charge them fairly for the work done.

He'd bought a new fancy mouse to go along with his Mac, turned out it only had software available for windows, which basically rendered all of its' extra functionality useless. When I told him this.. he eventually offered to sell it to me. I thought this was a bit much considering all the work i'd just done but I just turned the other cheek. He looked up the price in dollars in front of me and converted it to euro and decides such and such a price was more than adequate.

It was a pretty cool mouse so I said feckit why not and decided to just leave it at that, I wasnt in the mood to argue was already tired after a days work. I only had 20 quid or so on me so I gave him that and agreed to give him the other 15 or whatever it was later on.

He turned up on my door step a day later looking for the 15 quids 'because he needed to buy shoes' ..I was sorta in disbelief in the 'yeah right' kinda way, but however, I only had 20 on me.. gave it to him and of course he didn't have change.. said he'd come back with the 5er later after buying his 'shoes'.

Never did see him again!

Nearly 8yrs later and the mouse is still going strong.. occasionally it goes dead for a while til I flog it a bit and she gets goin again.

TLDR; best fiver I ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A very rich neighbour of mine who lives in the UK sent all his Christmas cards for the area in one large envelope to his brother's address along with a note asking him to deliver them to his friends and relatives.

When I lived over yonder in 'Murica, my mam would come over every year for Xmas. People used to give her Xmas cards for me. That would have been totally ok if I was in my own house, but I wasn't. She and my sister and I would get a condo near Miami and spend Xmas there. What am I gonna do with a stack of Xmas cards in a rented condo in fcuking Florida? It's not like we had a fire place to display them on. It's Florida FFS !

It really bugged me that no one could ever be bothered to spend the money on a bloody stamp and ever post them to me. It would have been nice to put them up on my mantle piece at home & enjoy looking at them in the run up to Xmas. I tried to get her to subtley hint to people that I'd much to prefer to have them posted to me at my house, than be handed them by her. But she was much to much of an Irish Mammy to risk doing that and causing offense. :rolleyes:

I know that was really petty of me, but there you go....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

djerk wrote: »
    Couple of years back I was working in IT repair/networking etc and so anyway a friend passed on my number to another lad who needed some help. I would have known him from my locale growing up but lets say we wouldn't have been too close, anyway, basically he got turned onto me.

Tbh, before I called over to his place I thought it was going to a be a quick routine fix, but I ended up doing a couple of hours work getting all his gear in order. He had just returned from the states with lots of new fangled apple gadgets, cameras and stuff and he needed help setting it all up, sorting out some OS and hardware compatibility issues, installing software and whatnot.

I'd never mentioned money at any stage and wouldn't have asked for anything either for simple jobs but people were generally kind enough to donate something if I was doing them a favour and helping them out, considering that was my profession at the time. Otherwise, I'd charge them fairly for the work done.

He'd bought a new fancy mouse to go along with his Mac, turned out it only had software available for windows, which basically rendered all of its' extra functionality useless. When I told him this.. he eventually offered to sell it to me. I thought this was a bit much considering all the work i'd just done but I just turned the other cheek. He looked up the price in dollars in front of me and converted it to euro and decides such and such a price was more than adequate.

It was a pretty cool mouse so I said feckit why not and decided to just leave it at that, I wasnt in the mood to argue was already tired after a days work. I only had 20 quid or so on me so I gave him that and agreed to give him the other 15 or whatever it was later on.

He turned up on my door step a day later looking for the 15 quids 'because he needed to buy shoes' ..I was sorta in disbelief in the 'yeah right' kinda way, but however, I only had 20 on me.. gave it to him and of course he didn't have change.. said he'd come back with the 5er later after buying his 'shoes'.

Never did see him again!

Nearly 8yrs later and the mouse is still going strong.. occasionally it goes dead for a while til I flog it a bit and she gets goin again.

TLDR; best fiver I ever spent.

Not €40 then? :confused:

Advertisement