Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ProudDUB wrote: »
    When I lived over yonder in 'Murica, my mam would come over every year for Xmas. People used to give her Xmas cards for me. That would have been totally ok if I was in my own house, but I wasn't. She and my sister and I would get a condo near Miami and spend Xmas there. What am I gonna do with a stack of Xmas cards in a rented condo in fcuking Florida? It's not like we had a fire place to display them on. It's Florida FFS !

It really bugged me that no one could ever be bothered to spend the money on a bloody stamp and ever post them to me. It would have been nice to put them up on my mantle piece at home & enjoy looking at them in the run up to Xmas. I tried to get her to subtley hint to people that I'd much to prefer to have them posted to me at my house, than be handed them by her. But she was much to much of an Irish Mammy to risk doing that and causing offense. :rolleyes:

I know that was really petty of me, but there you go....

That's really fecking petty alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Not quite as bad as some of the examples in thread but a former boss who had a subscription to the Irish Times, getting it delivered to work, would cancel it whenever he was on holidays to save a few pound, didn't even have the decency to let one of his underlings have a read of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

porsche959 wrote: »
    Not quite as bad as some of the examples in thread but a former boss who had a subscription to the Irish Times, getting it delivered to work, would cancel it whenever he was on holidays to save a few pound, didn't even have the decency to let one of his underlings have a read of it.
    Eh.........
    you're the stingy one here.

**** me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

D Trent wrote: »
    Eh.........
    you're the stingy one here.

**** me

Er, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jonny666 wrote: »
    Oh really??
    Care to share. Making the emails is a pain!!

They might cop on to it, but you can (or used to be able to) add a "+" to the end of a gmail address and messages sent to it would still get to your normal address.

So you could use johny666@gmail.com, johny666+vpn1@gmail.com, johny666+vpn2@gmail.com, johny666+vpn9999@gmail.com etc and it would get to you fine.

Or just use a disposable email address from the likes of mailinator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Eoin wrote: »
    So you could use johny666@gmail.com, johny666+vpn1@gmail.com, johny666+vpn2@gmail.com, johny666+vpn9999@gmail.com etc and it would get to you fine.

Unfortunately plus signs are often not accepted as valid characters, especially if where you are inputting it intend to spam you.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not €40 then? :confused:

I was referring to that old adage that if you give someone money and you dont see them again consider it money well spent, or however it goes :)

35 (random number) was in lieu of the mouse.. the 5er, he owed me... I would have charged much more for the work done in hindsight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A very rich neighbour of mine who lives in the UK sent all his Christmas cards for the area in one large envelope to his brother's address along with a note asking him to deliver them to his friends and relatives.

My parents insisted on me doing this with my baby's thank-you cards. :o They got me to post all the local ones to them in one big envelope, so they could deliver them door-to-door. They were horrified at the idea of me posting them.

I did feel like a bit of a stinge-bag, but I think they only wanted the excuse of an oul natter with the neighbours anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I know a guy who was travelling from Galway to Dublin and asked his mate if he'd like to go along for the spin. When they reached the 1st toll the lad went down back roads to dodge the fee. Then he said he was tired and asked if the friend would take over driving. Bear in mind this was about 1 hour into the fkn journey that he got tired!!

Anyways at the toll nearer Dublin, the friend who was still driving pulled up to the pay desk and his mate who owned the car and who invited him along for the spin told him that he had to pay the toll as he was the one who was driving!!

Turns out he only asked his mate along coz he wanted to park in Dublin for an hour or two to get his business done, didn't want to pay for parking, and he assumed that the wardens wouldn't fine him for double parking if his mate stayed in the car the whole time... You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

djerk wrote: »
    I was referring to that old adage that if you give someone money and you dont see them again consider it money well spent, or however it goes :)

35 (random number) was in lieu of the mouse.. the 5er, he owed me... I would have charged much more for the work done in hindsight!

Well, only sinking in now for me :D

I thought you said that because it was such a kick-ass mouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

My Brother in law used to work on building sites with this guy from (guess where????)....Cavan! Regularly, after work they'd go to the local chipper to get fish and chips. My bro in law would ask for the usual fish and chips and the guy from Cavan would always just order chips. But then as he was handed the chips in the bag he'd say "oh, actually I'll have a cod as well". This would happen every time and eventually my bro in law asked why he ordered this way. His mate then said that if you ordered fish and chips at the same time, you'd get less chips in the bag because the fish would take up space, so he'd wait till they put the chips in 1 bag and then get the fish separately!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, only sinking in now for me :D

I thought you said that because it was such a kick-ass mouse!

Seriously, you should have told him you'd knock the cost of the mouse off of the X hundreds that you were charging for the work you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My aunt is the stingiest bítch I know - would hate to pay for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

chewed wrote: »
    My Brother in law used to work on building sites with this guy from (guess where????)....Cavan! Regularly, after work they'd go to the local chipper to get fish and chips. My bro in law would ask for the usual fish and chips and the guy from Cavan would always just order chips. But then as he was handed the chips in the bag he'd say "oh, actually I'll have a cod as well". This would happen every time and eventually my bro in law asked why he ordered this way. His mate then said that if you ordered fish and chips at the same time, you'd get less chips in the bag because the fish would take up space, so he'd wait till they put the chips in 1 bag and then get the fish separately!

Love this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

efb wrote: »

Great anecdote.

Great anecdote.

Id be here all day when she went to my brothers wedding she invited herself to staying in my mum (mother of the groom)'s room. Not only did she free load there she went down ate my mums breakfast next morning (one assigned to room)

She is always arriving unexpectedly especially around meal times. Scabby isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

efb wrote: »

Don't be stingy with the details!

Don't be stingy with the details!

What are the odds the poster is worst than the Aunt? :D

My brother told me today that when he was an apprentice, his car was in the garage for a few days and he needed a lift from Limerick to Galway after work a couple of time. He got stuck one evening and ended up asking one of the foremen. Company was based in Galway so there usually wasn't a shortage of people going in that direction.

When they arrived back in Galway that evening, he wanted to be paid half the diesel. The fella went exactly the same route he would have anyway AND he was driving a company van that he never paid to refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

My brother told me today that when he was an apprentice, his car was in the garage for a few days and he needed a lift from Limerick to Galway after work a couple of time. He got stuck one evening and ended up asking one of the foremen. Company was based in Galway so there usually wasn't a shortage of people going in that direction.

When they arrived back in Galway that evening, he wanted to be paid half the diesel. The fella went exactly the same route he would have anyway AND he was driving a company van that he never paid to refuel.

Some people are stingy and some people are assholes.

• Advertisement

What are the odds the poster is worst than the Aunt? :D

I don't think its possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

This is about my husband :o we were in a 'make your own pottery ' place with our son, he got a voucher for Christmas. The voucher just about covered my son's pottery, but I was making stuff too.

The lady explained that everything needs 3 coats of paint because it looks better. My husband sees a sign on the wall that says you're charged per hour, and tells us 'dont listen to her, one coat is plenty!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Today a friend of mine text me in the afternoon if I fancied doing some pancakes. He'd call round to mine, maybe get the ingredients in Dunnes and go to his place. I'm the cook, he's clueless - we've done this together before once in the past.

So I knew he was on the way so I popped out to Dunnes to get some milk for my coffee and bumped into him on the way back to the flat. He saw the milk in my hand and his eyes nearly pop'ed out of his head with delight as he exclaimed "you've get the milk already!" So he though I bought the milk for the pancakes but I wasn't being that thoughtful - it was for my coffee.

Anyway we went back to my new flat where he looked out the living room window on the second floor where he could see a skip below across the road. He said 'you can get your fruit from there'. Wha? I said. He explained 'see that skip there, well that shop beside it throws out its unsold fruit so you can get your fruit from there'.

We started discussing what we needed for the pancake mix and so I made a list for him. When i mentioned margarine (or butter) he looked very doubtful. Basically he just didn't want to buy the margarine and wanted to use the oil he already had at home so I had to have a little edgy discussion with him that oil wasn't suitable which he seemed very reluctant to accept.

Anyway I mentioned a few post back about him bragging to me in the past about steeling sugar sachets from the coffee shop instead of buying a bag of sugar. He stared to recount the things he needed to buy and in place of saying margarine or butter he said - butter portions. He then mentioned something about never needing a whole tub of margarine and I said well maybe you'll need it for pancakes again where he said that it would hardly last a year. So clearly he meant going into Central and pocketing a few butter portions.

At that point I saw red and I fcuked him out the door and I have been feeling quite good about it for the rest of the day. I just said 'get out, get out' and that was it. I've been friends with him for 10 years and we've never fallen out but I think it's over now because when he comes back to me about this I'm gonna tell him exactly why I flipped. He'll probably feel insulted but I cannot stomach it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

colossus-x wrote: »
    Today a friend of mine text me in the afternoon if I fancied doing some pancakes. He'd call round to mine, maybe get the ingredients in Dunnes and go to his place. I'm the cook, he's clueless - we've done this together before once in the past.

So I knew he was on the way so I popped out to Dunnes to get some milk for my coffee and bumped into him on the way back to the flat. He saw the milk in my hand and his eyes nearly pop'ed out of his head with delight as he exclaimed "you've get the milk already!" So he though I bought the milk for the pancakes but I wasn't being that thoughtful - it was for my coffee.

Anyway we went back to my new flat where he looked out the living room window on the second floor where he could see a skip below across the road. He said 'you can get your fruit from there'. Wha? I said. He explained 'see that skip there, well that shop beside it throws out its unsold fruit so you can get your fruit from there'.

We started discussing what we needed for the pancake mix and so I made a list for him. When i mentioned margarine (or butter) he looked very doubtful. Basically he just didn't want to buy the margarine and wanted to use the oil he already had at home so I had to have a little edgy discussion with him that oil wasn't suitable which he seemed very reluctant to accept.

Anyway I mentioned a few post back about him bragging to me in the past about steeling sugar sachets from the coffee shop instead of buying a bag of sugar. He stared to recount the things he needed to buy and in place of saying margarine or butter he said - butter portions. He then mentioned something about never needing a whole tub of margarine and I said well maybe you'll need it for pancakes again where he said that it would hardly last a year. So clearly he meant going into Central and pocketing a few butter portions.

At that point I saw red and I fcuked him out the door and I have been feeling quite good about it for the rest of the day. I just said 'get out, get out' and that was it. I've been friends with him for 10 years and we've never fallen out but I think it's over now because when he comes back to me about this I'm gonna tell him exactly why I flipped. He'll probably feel insulted but I cannot stomach it any more.

Good on ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

colossus-x wrote: »
    pancakes
    Even if he didn't have all the ingredients, you could have bought them all for about a fiver. What a scab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My workplace sponsored a volunteer organisation and we got a table for 10 at their annual ball. As I was free for the weekend and thought it was something different, I went. I knew half of the people there and knew twud be a pleasant experience.

There was this new lad who was supping a pint when I arrived and despite us waiting an hour for dinner he kept on that one pint, fair enougt. Finally the dinner was served and wine was poured and he starts horsing in to it. He starts on white and never misses an opportunity for a top up. From my observation there was about enough wine at the event for 2 glasses per person so it wasn't exactly a free flowing.

Once the white dried up yer man starts into a glass of red he had pre-poured before the dinner by another server. As the plates are being cleared up he rises to the next table and helps himself to the áss end of the two bottles of red on their table. Most of the night for me is spent chatting by the table but we all noticed yer man roaming the room and topping up his glass of red. He was drinking the wine till midnight and was now pissed.

His next stunt was one that truly shocked me. There was a smoking area in the hotel but they banned the bring of the bar drinks outside so the drinks were placed on a large table by the door. Yer man leans up against the wall and watches people leave their drinks. When he sees any decent pint being left he wanders up and casually picks it up and comes over for a chat. As the night nears a close he gets more adventurous and tries the spirits and mixers left by people on the table, sometimes even sampling them first before stealing.

He was an absolute mess by the time the lights came up. It was one of the most despicable things I've ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

My workplace sponsored a volunteer organisation and we got a table for 10 at their annual ball. As I was free for the weekend and thought it was something different, I went. I knew half of the people there and knew twud be a pleasant experience.

There was this new lad who was supping a pint when I arrived and despite us waiting an hour for dinner he kept on that one pint, fair enougt. Finally the dinner was served and wine was poured and he starts horsing in to it. He starts on white and never misses an opportunity for a top up. From my observation there was about enough wine at the event for 2 glasses per person so it wasn't exactly a free flowing.

Once the white dried up yer man starts into a glass of red he had pre-poured before the dinner by another server. As the plates are being cleared up he rises to the next table and helps himself to the áss end of the two bottles of red on their table. Most of the night for me is spent chatting by the table but we all noticed yer man roaming the room and topping up his glass of red. He was drinking the wine till midnight and was now pissed.

His next stunt was one that truly shocked me. There was a smoking area in the hotel but they banned the bring of the bar drinks outside so the drinks were placed on a large table by the door. Yer man leans up against the wall and watches people leave their drinks. When he sees any decent pint being left he wanders up and casually picks it up and comes over for a chat. As the night nears a close he gets more adventurous and tries the spirits and mixers left by people on the table, sometimes even sampling them first before stealing.

He was an absolute mess by the time the lights came up. It was one of the most despicable things I've ever witnessed.

Tbh, it sounds like he's an alcoholic, rather than a stingebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's my birthday today. I received a card with a ticket for last Saturday night's lottery :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

rawn wrote: »
    Tbh, it sounds like he's an alcoholic, rather than a stingebag.
    sounds like both tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Paddy Cow, did you win?

Advertisement