Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Not sure if this is stinge or hard neck tbh. So I was up north other day and headed for the parking machine to pay. There's a well dressed normal looking guy standing there with his ticket in machine and hes fiddling about with change. As I approach he says .... eh love you wouldn't have a spare pound would ya. ( down the country accent) . I says to him no I don't but you're alright you can pay in euro ... ( which is what I was doing ) . He looks at me and says .... yeah but the bastards want 1.30 for a pound. And proceeds to keep his ticket in machine holding up the queue asking anyone who'd approach would they give him pound for nothing so that he didn't have to spend money! eventually the card was spat back out and off he went in search of a pound!!! he wasn't even exchanging a pound for euro with ppl he literally just wanted someone to pay his parking so he didn't have to lose out on the exchange rate! some people are very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ronjo

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    If she has a fringe, it won't be in her eyes for long before she start brushing it aside or pinning it. Serial fringe wearer here. Seriously, this is no big deal.

Sounds like the reply of a stinge :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Not sure if this is stinge or hard neck tbh. So I was up north other day and headed for the parking machine to pay. There's a well dressed normal looking guy standing there with his ticket in machine and hes fiddling about with change. As I approach he says .... eh love you wouldn't have a spare pound would ya. ( down the country accent) . I says to him no I don't but you're alright you can pay in euro ... ( which is what I was doing ) . He looks at me and says .... yeah but the bastards want 1.30 for a pound. And proceeds to keep his ticket in machine holding up the queue asking anyone who'd approach would they give him pound for nothing so that he didn't have to spend money! eventually the card was spat back out and off he went in search of a pound!!! he wasn't even exchanging a pound for euro with ppl he literally just wanted someone to pay his parking so he didn't have to lose out on the exchange rate! some people are very strange.

You just kind of hope that he spent so long looking for the elusive pound that he goes over an hour for his parking and has to pay another pound for the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

My boyfriend lives in North County Dublin and works in Newry. A co-worker of his lives in Drogheda whose car was out of action for a few weeks.

My boyfriend agreed to pick him up everyday in Drogheda and left the M1 to go into Drogheda to get him. My boyfriend never asked for money (and his co-worker never offered).

One day on the way back, the red light came on so he pulled into Castlebellingham service station. My boyfriend realised that he had no cash and knew his card wasn't working he asked his co-worker for 20 quid to fill up.

The next day, my boyfriend offered the money back to his co-worker who took the money without hesitation. My boyfriend was half expecting him to tell him to keep it, but he took it. After getting a lift to and from work for free for the past five weeks.

It was the last time he gave him a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

It doesn't affect you though. The typical 'stinge' will. IE skipping rounds in pubs, pocketing a tip, eating/drinking without contributing. Her fringe isn't doing you harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

STFU ABOUT FRINGES PEOPLE JEEZUS H CHRIST!!!! *crashes though nearby wall screaming* :mad:

I'm here for Stinge, not Fringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Cormac... wrote: »
    STFU ABOUT FRINGES PEOPLE JEEZUS H CHRIST!!!! *crashes though nearby wall screaming* :mad:

Is it wrong that every time others mention fringe I think of the Dulex dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

ken wrote: »
    Is it wrong that every time others mention fringe I think of the Dulex dog.

I already mentioned this! The way you spell it makes me think that's it a dog used for advertising a painters' brand of condoms though!

It doesn't affect you though. The typical 'stinge' will. IE skipping rounds in pubs, pocketing a tip, eating/drinking without contributing. Her fringe isn't doing you harm.

It doesn't have to. The thread title is Stingiest things you have seen'.

true, but in the 35 pages I've read that's by fair one of the lesser ones. I only get my hair cut once a year. I ain't rolling in it and prefer to get my daughters hair cut every few weeks above my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ratmouse wrote: »
    It doesn't have to. The thread title is Stingiest Fringiest things you have seen'.

FYP

true, but in the 35 pages I've read that's by fair one of the lesser ones. I only get my hair cut once a year. I ain't rolling in it and prefer to get my daughters hair cut every few weeks above my own.

Fair enough, that's how you choose to operate. However, I believe that an individual stating that they only get their hair cut once a year and go around with their hair fully in their eyes, all in the name of saving ten euro (this is how much they pay for a dry cut when they do decide to get the chop) is stingy! My opinion and my contribution to this thread. It's not up to you to quantify if my contribution is one of the more or one of the lesser stingy examples on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

LESS FRINGE AND MORE STINGE!

Well, if that's the stingiest people you have around you, then you're doing well..

The biggest ones on this thread for stinginess leave people out of pocket, steal, compromise on their hygiene to save money.. You're doing well in comparison.

One of the things I've experienced, is a friend who asked another friend over for some nibbles one Stephens Day. She spent the whole time complaining about the cost of party food over xmas in supermarkets and my friend left her 7 euro on her microwave as a contribution. Instead of saying oh my god nooo, she went ah thanks that's really nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Bit stingy with the posts per page. I'm only on page 14 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

ronjo wrote: »
    Sounds like the reply of a stinge :pac:

I can't fathom why someone not getting their hair cut often would be seen as stingy. Some women wouldn't even get it done yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Not sure if this is stinge or hard neck tbh. QUOTE]

I think they often go hand in hand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

RichFTW wrote: »
    Mate used to drive his car just to the point where he was almost out of petrol and then park his car in the driveway so that it blocked his mother's car in. In the morning when she was going to work, she would wake him up saying his car was blocking her. He'd pretend to be half asleep and say take his car instead so she would have to fill the tank to get to work!

Ha ha! That's ingenious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

There was a guy in my class in 6th year who was always flush with money, but a miserable git all the same! At lunch we'd head up to the town and he'd always go into the chipper, while us poor lads waited outside with our corn beef or jam sandwiches. When he opened the bag, he'd gob straight in all over the chips and then say "Anyone want a chip?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

GaryTLynch wrote: »
    Ha ha! That's ingenious!

Its not really, more a complete scumbag move that shows he has no respect for his own mother or her money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

The worst I met was a top Q.C who came from a very wealthy aristocratic family, owned a huge chunk of London. I met him one morning sleeping in his car outside court (I had dated him a few times) I knocked on the window and asked was he OK he said he always drove across London (about 3 miles) around 4/5am as driving in rush hour, and therefore slower, used more petrol. I found that so ugly I dumped him there and then.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My husband used to work with a guy who had a reputation for being miserly. There was a shop near to where he was working at the time, and they had a lunchtime deal where you got a roll, a bag of crisps, and a bottle of coke for €5, so the majority of the guys (about 20 or so) got this for their lunch.

This guy would never buy a lunch, and would drink a big flask of milk which he brought from home. He'd wait until the end of lunch, when he'd then go rooting through the empty crisp packets, and then gather the end bits of the rolls (the ones that are really hard, and often get left behind) and he'd take the crumbly bits out of the sandwiches and put them into the arse ends of the rolls and eat those.

Then one morning after the coffee break, one of the guys forgot his phone, and went back in to the break room to get it, whereupon he found Stingy McStingerson filling up his empty flask from the communal milk.

Now before anyone says "oh maybe he was in financial trouble" etc, this guy was showing up to work every couple of weeks with new expensive tracksuits/trainers, and he had a car which he'd skangerified, and he was constantly talking about the bits he was buying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

chewed wrote: »
    When he opened the bag, he'd gob straight in all over the chips and then say "Anyone want a chip?".

Should have said yes, grabbed a fistful of them and thrown them at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

On a recent school trip to the Netherlands, we were staying in a cheap hotel. The rooms were grand, but when it came to dinner every night we were given a transparent, salty soup for starters. I ate it, but most people couldn't manage a small bowl and some people spat it out. The waiters then proceeded to pour the remainder of everyones bowls into the container it was served in. Apparently, it was then re-used and brought to other tables. A mixture of soup and spit-back. :O the next few nights, most of us ate a little of the dinner and then headed to a conveniently placed McDonald's. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Its not really, more a complete scumbag move that shows he has no respect for his own mother or her money.

His mother is a dope, she should have moved his car then took out her own, preferably leaving his parked somewhere precarious.

"I left your car out on the road son, you better move it before they tow it away"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

His mother is a dope, she should have moved his car then took out her own, preferably leaving his parked somewhere precarious.

"I left your car out on the road son, you better move it before they tow it away"

I had that exact thought too but it's a scientific fact that Irish Mammies are one of the softest substances known to man. Especially when in the presence of their blue eyed boy (even if he's a stingy shytebag)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I had that exact thought too but it's a scientific fact that Irish Mammies are one of the softest substances known to man. Especially when in the presence of their blue eyed boy (even if he's a stingy shytebag)

I must have mine checked over, not made from the same stuff.

I'd have got a cold facecloth rubbed in my face and orders to get that car moved before she had it towed for scrap!

No messing in my house. Ps..we really did get a wet facecloth rubbed around the chops to get us up and moving in the morning if we were being uncooperative!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

He's far from a scumbag, think it was more of way of getting money off the parents without having to ask for it. He doesn't dodge rounds or eat scraps of food like others here but does things like the car thing once every now and then. Or does things like not buy concert tickets in the hope that the price is reduced closer to the gig date, which has backfired more than once, for the sake of saving 10-15 quid!

He is a farmer so no towing would be happening! The cheapest people I know are from farming backgrounds so think it's just something from their upbringing. Not stingy people most of time but still do some stingy cost saving stuff that others wouldn't dream of.

Another friend who is from a farming background used to buy a case of beer when we were going to a house party and keep the case in the boot of the car instead of the fridge like everyone else. He would go out and get one at a time so his wouldn't get mixed up with other peoples and so he wouldn't forget to bring them home or drink all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Cormac... wrote: »

Fine. I didn't even want to be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No messing in my house. Ps..we really did get a wet facecloth rubbed around the chops to get us up and moving in the morning if we were being uncooperative!
    Is that waterboarding, but using less water?

Advertisement