Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

And she's definitely not a poodle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Toots wrote: »
    And she's definitely not a poodle?

Good point! I really should make doubley sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Paying an extortionate amount of money to get into an event but it's so bloody boring! My bf is fast asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

I know of a man who has insisted that a Coffin will not be bought for his funeral and instead 2 black bin bags be tied together with him in it and I quote he says "whats the point in paying hundreds of euro for a lovely decorated wooden box when its going to be put back in the ground anyway".

This man also brings 15 euro with him on the rare occasion he goes to the pub so he can boast about coming back home with his 15 euro intact whilst drinking tap water for the night on top of maybe the odd pint people might buy for him. When its his round he either goes to the toilet or goes home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ I agree with the funeral bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Stingiest sod I ever worked with was laying a gravel path around his house. He did this a carrier-bag full of gravel at a time, the gravel nicked from a pile of it at the back of the workshop, where it had been left for yard repairs.
    The thing that got me pissing with laughter was he lived twenty miles from work and every day got the train home with his carrier bag of gravel.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

someone legging it when its their round!

it was my husbands round one time and some people were finished their drinks but I still had plenty so he was about to go up and I said 'ah im grand for this one' and this other guy I know, you could almost see the calculator running in his head, he looked at me, then my drink and quickly said 'oh ill get these ones' knowing that I would want another drink on the next round which would be his!

He conveniently leaves just before his second round comes too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A group of individuals setting up an event with accompanying website:
    • 30 euro tickets and additional processing fee : none available
    • 200 euro tickets and additional processing fee: few available
    • 1000 euro tickets and additional processing fee: purchasable up to time of event

Yes, I must keep schtum here to avoid the roving boards snip monster.:pac:

The website did not have links to other Hobby Shops retailing such gear or other ethusiast websites but seemed quite self satisfied for some reason.
    After not being able to buy one of the 200 euro tickets, lets just say that I have some more bits of "Electronic Waste" lying around the house now, for want of a better term. (sounds better than junk and I won't type the alternative phrase)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

One time a guy posted a story in 'Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people 2' and was really stingy with the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We went out with a couple for pub lunch. The guy brought a 2 for 1 coupon but he used it to subsidise the meal for all of us. So 4 people ate but 1 meal was covered by the coupon. We all split the bill evenly. I saw that as thoughtful.

I was poor at the time and really appreciated it.

Looking back at the original thread and looking at the most recent posts here, it's funny how many things have moved from stingy to frugal.
    Well dividing by 4 is fine but some tight ass would claim all of the cupon- jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Saralee4 wrote: »

it was my husbands round one time and some people were finished their drinks but I still had plenty so he was about to go up and I said 'ah im grand for this one' and this other guy I know, you could almost see the calculator running in his head, he looked at me, then my drink and quickly said 'oh ill get these ones' knowing that I would want another drink on the next round which would be his!

Basically rounds for more than 2 or 3 are crap - avoid -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

quickbeam wrote: »
    ^^ I agree with the funeral bit.

Not sure about the black bags - but the idea of a beautifully polished box- with silk lining and polished brass fittings- that gets dropped in a hole -
    I'll have to make my own - it'll be almost grand and never fully finished -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Dont talk to me about stingy people.
    My niece has a high flying job jetting off all over the world at a moments notice.
    A few years she rang and asked would it be ok for her and a friend to come and stay for a few days. Fool that i am I said ok.
    Anyway they land at the house and for the three nights they stayed I fed them them to the best.
    My kids were small at the time and every night my niece used to sit down with two bars of chocolate and eat it in front of them wouldn't even give them one square.
    Needless to say I was never offered as much as a cent for my b/b either.

You live and learn.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Basically rounds for more than 2 or 3 are crap - avoid -

ah I know that and we tend to stick to ourselves mostly rather than get into them or else just put in a kitty but if you knew this guy! - he strategically goes to the toilet when he's entered the bar after quickly jumping out of the cab and saying 'ill get the first one in' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

No particular story but I know a couple of friends who never want to do any activity that involves spending money. Always just plain hanging out and watching movies or playing games?

"Lets go out"

"Nah don't have the money"

*Takes out game worth 60 euro

"Look what I got the other day!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

When I used to work in Tesco people would plant their shopping in the reduced section and demand I reduce it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Mahogany wrote:
    No particular story but I know a couple of friends who never want to do any activity that involves spending money. Always just plain hanging out and watching movies or playing games?

It's not really stingy though is it?

I buy the occasional game but spend most of my money on running/cycling/swimming gear and stuff for for the garden. I don't have any spare cash left over so I can't afford to go out drinking or to concerts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Mahogany wrote: »

"Lets go out"

Imagine someone wanting to spend their entertainment budget on something other than booze! Pure stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Imagine someone wanting to spend their entertainment budget on something other than booze! Pure stinge!

Imagine someone that thinks the phrase 'Lets go out' automatically refers to alcohol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

"Lets go out"

So they spend money on games, how are they stingy then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Saralee4 wrote: »

I always think it is a bit unfair for a single person drinking with couples having to pay for both people in the couples! Don't blame the guy for this - at least he bought a round!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

lulu1 wrote: »
    Dont talk to me about stingy people.
    My niece has a high flying job jetting off all over the world at a moments notice.
    A few years she rang and asked would it be ok for her and a friend to come and stay for a few days. Fool that i am I said ok.
    Anyway they land at the house and for the three nights they stayed I fed them them to the best.
    My kids were small at the time and every night my niece used to sit down with two bars of chocolate and eat it in front of them wouldn't even give them one square.
    Needless to say I was never offered as much as a cent for my b/b either.

You live and learn.

She sounds like a member if the 'entitled'
    generation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

ratmouse wrote: »
    I know a female who, purposely to save money, only allows herself an annual hair cut.

I've done this in the past. I still only get my hair cut twice a year because that's really all I need and can afford. Lots of women don't get their hair cut regularly, some would go more than a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My dad works collecting commercial recycling. It isn't all rubbish. Shops throw out a ridiculous amount of unopened items they haven't sold. He brings a lot of it home, gives it to me, family whoever need/wants whatever he gets. Now if i read this I would think it might be a bit stingy, but if you saw the stuff places throw out, it is insane. My oh doesn't actually believes my dad found this stuff, there is nothing wrong with it. Some presents we get for xmas I know are things he has 'found' which again might seem stingy, but its only because I recognise the label from a shop he has told me is a goldmine for stuff. Other people would be non the wiser. Items include (all unopened): Box of 600 tealights, candles in general, handbags, every item of clothing imaginable (mens,womens,kids), flat pack furniture, perfume, make-up, toys/puzzles, washing power, cleaning stuff, loads of shoes. The list goes on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

When I used to work in Tesco people would plant their shopping in the reduced section and demand I reduce it for them.

Thats a thing that still happens every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I've done this in the past. I still only get my hair cut twice a year because that's really all I need and can afford. Lots of women don't get their hair cut regularly, some would go more than a year!

This individual only pays €10 for a dry haircut. I also said in a previous post that she goes around with her fringe down in her eyes whilst waiting for the annual cut.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I always think it is a bit unfair for a single person drinking with couples having to pay for both people in the couples! Don't blame the guy for this - at least he bought a round!! ;)

No we as a couple get two rounds. With this particular guy, we nearly always would have ended up paying for the cab and also if we drank at home he would drink ours, insist he didn't want a takeaway then pick at our food or order something but never had change so we'd end up paying for it. Does not happen anymore tho because we just insist on doing things by oursrlfs and we hardly ever go out! Last few times he seems to be a better ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

We made friends with neighbours and made an agreement that we wouldn't bring booze to each other's house, so if we went there they supplied the wine and vice versa. The two guys both love whiskey and cigars so it kind of ended up that I would go over to her for wine and the lads would be in our house (no babysitters needed then). He has drank and smoked the best of whiskey and cigars for almost 2 years now.

It all worked fine until she is pregnant and goes to bed at 9 and now He still comes empty handed to our house. That's not the end of the world but they were going to a wedding lately and he called over to 'borrow' a cigar for the wedding. He has never bought a cigar to replace the ones he smoked here (expensive ones brought from Central America as presents) so the fact he wouldn't go to the shop to buy a cigar for himself just really infuriated us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

CaraMay wrote: »
    We made friends with neighbours and made an agreement that we wouldn't bring booze to each other's house, so if we went there they supplied the wine and vice versa. The two guys both love whiskey and cigars so it kind of ended up that I would go over to her for wine and the lads would be in our house (no babysitters needed then). He has drank and smoked the best of whiskey and cigars for almost 2 years now.

It all worked fine until she is pregnant and goes to bed at 9 and now He still comes empty handed to our house. That's not the end of the world but they were going to a wedding lately and he called over to 'borrow' a cigar for the wedding. He has never bought a cigar to replace the ones he smoked here (expensive ones brought from Central America as presents) so the fact he wouldn't go to the shop to buy a cigar for himself just really infuriated us.

Here, you already have a standing agreement. Just say to the neighbour that he should bring the whiskey sometimes now that his wife isn't getting the 'round' in.

Advertisement