Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

RuPi wrote: »
    Moxham would have played the majority if not all of his rugby in the centre, so was surprised to see him on the wing in that game albeit he is quick. A lot of good centres around.

Yea I agree. He might find it difficult to force his way into Ulster at only playing centre, so adding wing to his repertoire might be his best chance at an academy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RuPi

Yea I agree. He might find it difficult to force his way into Ulster at only playing centre, so adding wing to his repertoire might be his best chance at an academy place.

Totally agree, the same for Postlethwaite who can play in the back 3 and has a canon of a left boot. 10 is the position in the Backline where there isn’t a huge amount of talent coming through but hopefully Humph Jr and McKay from Ballymena Academy can progress and come through. There is lots of 9’s and outside backs to be excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

could Doak play some 10 and maybe end up there given all the 9's??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭launish116

bayern wrote: »
    could Doak play some 10 and maybe end up there given all the 9's??

Was thinking that also.

Will be interesting to see who steps up between Finlay & Doak.

Lack of regular rugby due to Covid could become a big issue this season for a lot academy/sub academy. On the other foot great time to get some timber on and work on skills.

Doak has been MIA all season, injured presumably.

• Advertisement

7s results from today

Leinster 0-17 Ulster
    Ireland 28-0 Connacht
    Ireland 40-5 Leinster
    Munster 21-0 Ulster (think this is a typo)
    Munster 5-38 Ireland
    Connacht 31-12 Leinster
    Connacht 17-21 Munster
    Ulster 19-19 Ireland
    Leinster 12-24 Munster
    Ulster 26-19 Connacht

That would give us 9 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses and 2nd in competition. Hopefully the academy players can bring that form to the seniors at some stage. Impressive all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    7s results from today

Leinster 0-17 Ulster
    Ireland 28-0 Connacht
    Ireland 40-5 Leinster
    Munster 5-38 Ireland
    Connacht 31-12 Leinster
    Connacht 17-21 Munster
    Ulster 19-19 Ireland
    Leinster 12-24 Munster
    Ulster 26-19 Connacht

That would give us 9 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses and 2nd in competition. Hopefully the academy players can bring that form to the seniors at some stage. Impressive all the same.
    Would've been nice to see proper highlights. I wonder who the standouts were for us - Sexton presumably, and I know Hyde has sevens experience.

Would've been nice to see proper highlights. I wonder who the standouts were for us - Sexton presumably, and I know Hyde has sevens experience.

this is the irfu we are talking about.. they don't do good highlights.

this is the irfu we are talking about.. they don't do good highlights.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/gallery/irfu-academy-7s-series-concludes-in-dublin/

Some pictures if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

7s results from today

Leinster 0-17 Ulster
    Ireland 28-0 Connacht
    Ireland 40-5 Leinster
    Munster 5-38 Ireland
    Connacht 31-12 Leinster
    Connacht 17-21 Munster
    Ulster 19-19 Ireland
    Leinster 12-24 Munster
    Ulster 26-19 Connacht

According to McKendry on Twitter, we beat Munster, so I'd presume it is a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

According to McKendry on Twitter, we beat Munster, so I'd presume it is a typo.

Nah. Munster scored three tries. They won fair and square.

Ulster team to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO14 Round 5, Monday 9 November 2020, at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 8.15pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stewart Moore, Matt Faddes, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Jack McGrath, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Sam Carter (Capt.), Matty Rea, Sean Reidy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Gareth Milasinovich, Alan O’Connor, Marcus Rea, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Ethan McIlroy.

Dan keeping folk guessing again.

Fourth midfield combination in five games?

Hopefully we can beat Glasgae well. If we managed 4-0 we'd be on 22 points, they'd be on five

Famous last words, I know, but the Weegies look pretty beatable.

1. Aki Seiuli (15)
    2. Grant Stewart (34)
    3. Enrique Pieretto (3)
    4. Rob Harley (235)
    5. Kiran McDonald (26)
    6. Ryan Wilson (C) (174)
    7. Tom Gordon (22)
    8. TJ Ioane (2)

9. Jamie Dobie (10)
    10. Pete Horne (174)
    11. Niko Matawalu (131)
    12. Stafford McDowall (23)
    13. Robbie Fergusson (2)
    14. Ratu Tagive (17)
    15. Glenn Bryce (29)

Replacements

16. Johnny Matthews (3)
    17. Alex Allan (105)
    18. D’arcy Rae (74)
    19. Lewis Bean (0)
    20. Hamish Bain (2)
    21. Fotu Lokotui (3)
    22. Sean Kennedy (8)
    23. Brandon Thomson (25)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Hope Marcus Rea can get a good run and shows up well. Interesting times for Johnston. Has he been injured. hasn't been getting much time over past few months.
    McIlroy rewarded for his performance in Cardiff. I expect him to get 20+ mins, on for Gilroy.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Hope Marcus Rea can get a good run and shows up well. Interesting times for Johnston. Has he been injured. hasn't been getting much time over past few months.
    McIlroy rewarded for his performance in Cardiff. I expect him to get 20+ mins, on for Gilroy.

Gilroy would seriously want to improve. He's very fortunate that Lyttle seems to be being rested two weeks in a row.

Glasgow are severely depleted, but they've given us enough bloody noses in the past. I think. not withstanding a bit of rotation at second row and hooker, that's our first choice available 1 - 10. For me, Murphy just hasn't shown enough to be ahead of Reidy, and I wonder if ReaJea is getting a chance to stake a claim ahead of Jordi as well.

I think Johnston isn't starting because we're taking no chances, which I'm fine about. He can start versus Zebre (or Lowry). Having watched most of Scarlets vs Zebre, I have to say, they were two poor teams. The Scarlets have fallen so far, so fast. They were very luck to scrape their win, at home, to a Zebre team with international call-ups.

Gilroy would seriously want to improve. He's very fortunate that Lyttle seems to be being rested two weeks in a row.

Glasgow are severely depleted, but they've given us enough bloody noses in the past. I think. not withstanding a bit of rotation at second row and hooker, that's our first choice available 1 - 10. For me, Murphy just hasn't shown enough to be ahead of Reidy, and I wonder if ReaJea is getting a chance to stake a claim ahead of Jordi as well.

I think Johnston isn't starting because we're taking no chances, which I'm fine about. He can start versus Zebre (or Lowry). Having watched most of Scarlets vs Zebre, I have to say, they were two poor teams. The Scarlets have fallen so far, so fast. They were very luck to scrape their win, at home, to a Zebre team with international call-ups.

Honestly think Gilroy might be pushed out at end of his contract, especially if Lyttle continues injury free and academy players keep pushing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Honestly think Gilroy might be pushed out at end of his contract, especially if Lyttle continues injury free and academy players keep pushing on.

He really should be, looked horrendously slow against Cardiff, he really offers no attacking threat anymore, its a shame he was an unbelievable talent when he first came on the scene

But with Lyttle, Faddess, Stockdale, Mcilroy, Sexton , Ludik , Addison, Balacoune theres really no need for him

Infact I really dont see any risk in having Sexton or Mcilroy in there ahead of him already,

If your planning on getting rid of him at the end of the season then theres no reason to prioritise his gametime over other young lads

• Administrators Posts: 53,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He really should be, looked horrendously slow against Cardiff, he really offers no attacking threat anymore, its a shame he was an unbelievable talent when he first came on the scene

But with Lyttle, Faddess, Stockdale, Mcilroy, Sexton , Ludik , Addison, Balacoune theres really no need for him

Infact I really dont see any risk in having Sexton or Mcilroy in there ahead of him already,

If your planning on getting rid of him at the end of the season then theres no reason to prioritise his gametime over other young lads

Ludik is done, and Faddes is a bit rubbish.

awec wrote: »

Ludik be retiring.

Now now Faddes isn’t half as bad as folks think, he hasn’t hit any form and is constantly moved about. He was one of our best scorers last season. Last week he made two try saving tackles in a matter of moments!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »

for a guy to have 7 tries in 13 starts, and still be a bit rubbish, is some going :)
    add to that.. with a third of a season missing through injury

I agree he isnt a marquee signing, but he is doing what he was brought over to do imo. Playing across the back line, utility from the bench, and no doubt a voice in dwyane peels ear bringing some tony browne attacking moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Going to be some serious selection and retention issues going forward in the centre.

McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Hume, Stewart, Curtis and Hyde, Carson depending how they go in academy.

Nice to see , if only we could replicate that to the forwards.

What is the age profile like

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Late 20's
    McCloskey(28), Marshall(29), Addison(28)

Early 20's
    Hume(22), Stewart(21), Curtis(22) and Hyde(20)

Carson, Jude

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »

McCloskey's 28, Marshall's 29, Addison's 28, Hume and Curtis are 22, Moore is 21.

We’re missing the middle ground/mid 20s in most positions I think

Wing/Fullbacks:

Jacob Stockdale(24)
    Robert Baloucoune(23)
    Rob Lyttle(23)
    Aaron Sexton(20)
    Ethan McIlroy(20)
    Conor Rankin(19)

Wing/Fullbacks:

Jacob Stockdale(24)
    Robert Baloucoune(23)
    Rob Lyttle(23)
    Aaron Sexton(20)
    Ethan McIlroy(20)
    Conor Rankin(19)

We have a serious young back bone growing! Could be sorted for next decade. Finding game time for all these backs will be the issue.

**Edit - just to wet the lips, 25 & under team.

O’Sullivan 25
    Stewart 20
    O’Toole 22
    O’Connor 25
    Treadwell 25
    McCann 21
    Rea Jnr 23
    Allison 21
    Finlay 21/ Doak 18
    Lowry 22/ Doak 18
    Stockdale 24
    Stewart 21
    Hume 22
    Baloucoune 23
    Mcilroy 20

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We have a serious young back bone growing! Could be sorted for next decade. Finding game time for all these backs will be the issue.

O’Sullivan 25
    Stewart 20
    O’Toole 22
    O’Connor 25
    Treadwell 25
    McCann 21
    Rea Jnr 23
    Allison 21
    Finlay 21/ Doak 18
    Lowry 22/ Doak 18
    Stockdale 24
    Stewart 21
    Hume 22
    Baloucoune 23
    Mcilroy 20

McBurney's only 24 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

O’Sullivan 25
    Stewart 20
    O’Toole 22
    O’Connor 25
    Treadwell 25
    McCann 21
    Rea Jnr 23
    Allison 21
    Finlay 21/ Doak 18
    Lowry 22/ Doak 18
    Stockdale 24
    Stewart 21
    Hume 22
    Baloucoune 23
    Mcilroy 20

Adam McBurney and Rob Lyttle are both under 25 as well.

Didn't realise Treadwell was still that young...easy to forget sometimes.

Still pretty clear we need second rows (although njury allowing Hendy should have a good 5 or 6 years left in him), arguably a 10 and maybe another prop.

Also remains to be seen how good the back rows are, although I'm pretty confident McCann will come good, and probably Rea Jnr as well...I haven't seen enough of Allison yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

McCloskey's 28, Marshall's 29, Addison's 28, Hume and Curtis are 22, Moore is 21.

Addison can play 15

Are Hume Curtis and Moore able to play elsewhere. Ludik probably wont be renewed and Faddes too, he is on year 2 of a 2 year contract I guess?

Advertisement