Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »
    Ulster team to play Cardiff Blues, Guinness PRO14 Round 4, Monday 2 November 2020, at Rodney Parade (kick-off 6pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Craig Gilroy, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Adam McBurney, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Ross Kane, Sam Carter, Sean Reidy, Alby Mathewson, Luke Marshall, Ethan McIlroy.

Good to see Marshall back in the squad. Looking forward to seeing what Moore can bring at 13.

Hope Coetzee is just rested.

Nice to see McIlroy involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Good to see Marshall back in the squad. Looking forward to seeing what Moore can bring at 13.

Hope Coetzee is just rested.

Nice to see McIlroy involved.

And Treadwell start. Also Lyttle rested, but I'm fine with that with Lowry starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Milasinovich injured again? Thought they’d want to build up his match fitness.

Had forgotten about him! Yeah, he looks like he should be a useful addition, given more game time

Maybe need to be careful with him given the nature of his injury...but agree with Paul that he seems a useful addition.

• Advertisement

Big risk going to Cardiff without Coetzee. I don't mind resting him now and again, but we are away to Zebre in 2 weeks time which seems a better option to me for giving him a weekend off.

Edit - just realised this is at 6pm tomorrow night!

I don't mind the idea of Monday night rugby, but 6pm! Even working from home it's going to be a push to watch this live!

Big risk going to Cardiff without Coetzee. I don't mind resting him now and again, but we are away to Zebre in 2 weeks time which seems a better option to me for giving him a weekend off.

Edit - just realised this is at 6pm tomorrow night!

I don't mind the idea of Monday night rugby, but 6pm! Even working from home it's going to be a push to watch this live!

I know. In what world is that not teatime? If you've kids that's difficult.

Anyway, I think a greater risk is trying an untested combo of The Two Stus at centre against that Blues midfield. Let's see how it pays off.

Indeed, though are reliance on him is our greatest weakness! Really wish we would start exploring a genuine 8 replacement/backup if even giving jones/Allison some time. Greatest respect to Timoney but he isn’t an 8.

Hoping it’s a case of looking at his stats/workload(appreciate recent week off) and want him Completely fresh for Glasgow/Zebre in hope maybe McCann/Rea getting more game time along side him.

Indeed, though are reliance on him is our greatest weakness! Really wish we would start exploring a genuine 8 replacement/backup if even giving jones/Allison some time. Greatest respect to Timoney but he isn’t an 8.

Hoping it’s a case of looking at his stats/workload(appreciate recent week off) and want him Completely fresh for Glasgow/Zebre in hope maybe McCann/Rea getting more game time along side him.

I'm starting to wonder whether Allison is rated as highly as say McCann or Rea. Early days still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

I'm starting to wonder whether Allison is rated as highly as say McCann or Rea. Early days still

McCann is a much better prospect than Rea.

Allison is similarly rated to Rea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Rea and McCann are much more built up (especially McCann). Also Allison has had a terrible injury record in his short career so far so maybe they dont want to push the boat out too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

bayern wrote: »
    McCann is a much better prospect than Rea.

Allison is similarly rated to Rea IMO.

Yeah McCann for me is the best forward prospect Ulster have had since Henderson (not a huge bar I must admit but still pretty good).

I would rate Allison abit higher than Rea I must say but definetly agree on McCann being the biggest prospect.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Yeah McCann for me is the best forward prospect Ulster have had since Henderson (not a huge bar I must admit but still pretty good).

I would rate Allison abit higher than Rea I must say but definetly agree on McCann being the biggest prospect.

In comparison how was Rea Snr at their age does anyone know? Appreciate he wasn’t anywhere near Ulster.

McCann seems to have the skill and athleticism there is no doubt.

But It’s hardly like Rea Jnr & Allison were academy squad fillers. Both were highly thought of at u20.

I just can’t understand with back row such an area of concern, why we cant get players to push on, if McCann had of been at Leinster how many caps would he had by now?

Maybe i’m just impatient.

In comparison how was Rea Snr at their age does anyone know? Appreciate he wasn’t anywhere near Ulster.

McCann seems to have the skill and athleticism there is no doubt.

But It’s hardly like Rea Jnr & Allison were academy squad fillers. Both were highly thought of at u20.

I just can’t understand with back row such an area of concern, why we cant get players to push on, if McCann had of been at Leinster how many caps would he had by now?

Maybe i’m just impatient.

ReaJea just turned 23. Allison is 21 - won't be 22 until next April. They're not really contemporaries.

I get frustrated, as we all do, but in actuality McFarland is doing a good job - a very good job, in fact - of bringing talent through. The real change is that at the start of last season all we wanted to see was some new lads blooded. Improve the squad, improve the culture, improve our play. It went so well that we're ahead of schedule, and we should be challenging for silverware. That should be the priority. Bringing youngsters on this season is less crucial than getting points in the league, as far as I'm concerned. But yeah - would love to see two of McCann, Allison and ReaJea feature against Zebre

bringing youngsters on this season is less crucial than getting points in the league, as far as I'm concerned. But yeah - would love to see two of McCann, Allison and ReaJea feature against Zebre

I don’t believe that is the case!

Financial bringing youngsters on couldn’t be more important than ever. Financially rugby is about to fall of a cliff. Dan already made a large cull of dead wood when he arrived and I foresee at the end of this season the same again and a serious look at NIQs going forward. The money just ins’t there and Ulster seriously need to become more sustainable with academy conversion rate improving and players stepping up. (Academy has improved, this intake looks highly promosing)

Secondly I’m as guilty as anyone for thinking we almost need a full strength team weekly to win games. Until Ulster loose that mentality it’s gonna be an issue and restrict more integration of up and coming players. No Coetzee this week and now everyone is worried we’ll lose. Simple reason being we haven't developed a fall back at 8 we truely trust. (Realistically no one will match Coetzee).

We’re potentially sitting 2nd best province based on recent semi finals etc. Munster are making unusual strides the last two weeks and blooding a lot of youth, who actually are doing very well and their game is evolving. Mean while we’re relying/rotating same squad players.

In order for us to step forward we need to step back and I know a few people don’t agree but until Dan finds the answer to why academy players arnt making the jump we will always be the brides maid.

In summary league points are important, but ultimately youth being more involved in gaining them points is more important in long run. Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

7-3 to Cardiff

Cardiff looking the better team.

Ludik looks like he's going off... possibly knocked out making a tackle

McIlroy on for ludik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Scrum after scrum.

Ollie Robinson yellow card

OldRio wrote: »
    Scrum after scrum.

Forwards gonna be shattered second half.

We’re gonna lose an arm wrestle here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good try

Finally!

That was painful from Ulster. 15mins on Cardiff try line

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Finally!

That was painful from Ulster. 15mins on Cardiff try line

Literally other than Treadwell we arn’t making ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Craig Gilroy looks like he’s running under water ....he’s so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Did the conversion for the Ulster try go over off the post?

How come the score is not 7:10 to Ulster??:confused:

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Did the conversion for the Ulster try go over off the post?

How come the score is not 7:10 to Ulster??:confused:

Thought they missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Ulster pack is so under powered, even Connacht make more ground upfront

It’s embarrassing, Reidy looks like the smallest of your rowers, yet always seems to make the most ground.

Yeah it's a really poor showing.

• Advertisement

It’s embarrassing, Reidy looks like the smallest of your rowers, yet always seems to make the most ground.

It feels like Murphy hadn't made a yard in about 12 months

Advertisement