Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henderson out for the rest of the season and will miss the test series in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

McFarland had to go! Murphy will get his selections and his stamp on style. Murphy has rightly inserted Wilson into the team. There's going to be an upheaval of sorts at Ulster over the next season. In a good way! The pack will have Sheridan/Wilson/Crothers more involved, while McNabney and McLoughlin will see minutes too. Murphy will also recruit underage better and raid the Leinster system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

We really need some reinforcements for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I'd say every head coach is more involved than you think than deciding on who goes into the academy and who you target. Its a truly massive part of the job for irish provinces.

I'd agree that that shouldn't be focus number one, but he should be involved in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm sure the head coach has some input, and particularly someone like Murphy who will have a good insight on young players already, but that's probably a few meetings followed up with updates. It shouldn't be the coach saying "I want this lad in the academy because he suits the way I want the team to play". That coach may not even be involved by the time a lad finishes in the academy.

Coaching the senior team is a huge job, particularly at Ulster now where team systems structures have to be rebuilt and individual players need to be given a new lease of life. I think Murphy needs a pretty narrow field of focus to begin with, there are other problems at Ulster too but they are for others to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Rumoured academy entrants:

Bryn Ward(Backrow)
    James McKillop(Backrow)
    Logan Clark(Scrumhalf)
    Jack Murphy(Outhalf)
    Wilhelm De Klerk(Outhalf-Centre)
    Sam Berman(Centre)
    Johnny Scott(Centre)

Is Lukas Kenny in the sub-Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Already in the full academy, announced in last year's intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

• Advertisement

Ah, beg your pardons. Cool. Had thought he was very highly rated.

Ulster Development Team

(15-9) Rory Telfer (QUB RFC), Aaron Sexton (Ballynahinch RFC), Johnny Scott (Banbridge RFC), Ben Carson (Ballynahinch RFC), Michael McLean (Ballymena Academy), Eamon Rogers (QUB RFC), Conor McKee (Ballynahinch RFC)

(1-8) Jack Boal (QUB RFC), James McCormick (City of Armagh RFC), Flynn Longstaff (QUB RFC), David Gillespie (Ballyclare RFC), Charlie Irvine (QUB RFC), Tom Brigg (QUB RFC), Marcus Rea (Ballynahinch RFC), James McNabney (C) (City of Armagh RFC)

Replacements: Zac Solomon (Banbridge RFC), Niall Carville (City of Armagh RFC), Tom McAllister (Belfast Harlequins RFC), Callum Johns (Wallace HS), Billy Allen (Rainey Endowed School), Olly Smyth (Belfast Harlequins RFC), Josh Stevens (QUB RFC), Ryan Connolly (Down High School), Henry Walker (QUB RFC), James McKillop (QUB RFC), Cal Florence (QUB RFC), Clarke Logan (Coleraine Grammar School), Ethan Graham (Ballynahinch RFC), Ben McFarlane (QUB RFC).

Against the New England Independents tomorrow afternoon. Assuming that means Crothers continues to be preferred to Rea Jr, or maybe they think Reffell will be back.

No Joe Hopes or Lorcan McLoughlin, both of whom Murphy has had faith in at U20 level - assume that's injuries.

Lukas Kenny still injured?

Supporters will have the opportunity to say a fond farewell to the Senior Men’s players confirmed today by the club as this season’s leavers:

Luke Marshall (166 – retired)

Billy Burns (111)

Greg Jones (44)

Will Addison (41)

Angus Curtis (25 – retired)

Steven Kitshoff (14)

Dave Ewers (14)

James French (4)

Shea O’Brien (1)

Eric O'Sullivan staying, O'Connor must not be retiring. Feel for Curtis, shame about Addison. Marshall is a warrior.

Marty Moore still on the books as well - that's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not a particularly original thought but it's mental how few games Addison played, considering he was a clear first choice and was there for 5 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Serious squad depth issues ahead. Props, 2nd row, scrum half, out half and centre.

Moore hasn’t been fit the majority of this season, will he recover next season? Still leaves us shallow both sides of the scrum!

It’s just are luck as Hume gets seriously injured Addison starts to show form and is now off.

I’d still keep Ewers, even for off the bench appearances.

Thumping at the weekend and I’d expect some serious signing news next week!

Basically all of your players, especially the difference makers, in irish rugby come through the academy. If there isn't a ton of synergy long term on how you as a club play, what kind of players you are taking in and how you ID them, then you are on a bad path. Especially as the head coach will see the NTS guys in training, or should.

I think it would be a pretty massive waste of Murphy's knowledge for him not to be involved with that.

That's a lot of centres. I wonder if they will let deklerk compete at 10 as well.

• Advertisement

Of course Murphy would have input on who they would offer academy spots to but the club already has dedicated academy and recruitment staff. I'm sure Ulster (as all the provences) already know who the top players are and have profiles on them, they try to get the best players they can into the academy. A good percentage of academy players won't ultimately make it as senior players for various reasons anyway so you can only be so strategic about it; get the best players you can.

Murphy has been hired as head coach, his job is to get the senior team playing as well as possible and that is a very big task. His current contract expires before the new intake will graduate from the academy, they may never play for the first team under him. 95% of his focus should be on his current squad. If not, he shouldn't be head coach and should have been offered a different role. Ulster have suffered from a deficit of coaching for too long, they need a fully focused coach to get back on track.

With the injury to Hume, they should beg Marshall to stay on, at least until Christmas. Ewers definitely worth keeping too imo. Sense must have prevailed and EOS being kept on, hopefully TOT moving across was just internet chatter. Still need another LH though, Ed Byrne was a missed opportunity.

Od be worried about Marshall. He can't stay fit, and his issue is often concussions. Apparently Kok can play centre?

With Addison and Curtis gone and Hume out for at least half the season, Marshall would be worth having even if he was only involved in half a dozen games.

I don't know if Kok can play centre but he certainly doesn't seem like a 13 to me. He seems to be a guy who wants to rush up and smash everything, I'd be worried he could get a lot of defensive reads wrong. Also wouldn't see the ball going beyond him much.

Being down four centres and only adding a wing who can potentially cover centre is worrying going into next season. Looking very light in the backs, hopefully academy lads can step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He hasn't played there for a few years but has featured at 13 in the past, mostly in the Currie Cup. I'd imagine he's an option there for lower/mid tier URC games but it would probably be a stretch to put him there against anyone of a higher level.

My concern is also that McCloskey, Postlethwaite and Moore all seem to naturally be 12s. Having an inexperienced Jude at 13 would make me very nervous. Moore can play 13, but his breakthrough season, he was inside centre with Hume outside him (and it worked very well).

Carson got one cap already this season, but I wasn't hugely impressed with him at U20s, never mind senior.

Moxham was apparently a centre before being played at wing for the seniors.

Berman is a pure 13, while De Klerk perfers to play 10, he has played 12/13 this season.

I'm sad Addison is going. He's such a classy player. I'd like to take the chance on one healthy year.

Yea, agreed. I was overstating how much he should be involved in academy.

• Advertisement

Ulster:

• 15. Ethan McIlroy
    • 14. Mike Lowry
    • 13. Will Addison
    • 12. Stuart McCloskey
    • 11. Jacob Stockdale
    • 10. Billy Burns
    • 9 John Cooney
    • 1. Eric O’Sullivan
    • 2. Rob Herring
    • 3. Tom O’Toole
    • 4. Kieran Treadwell
    • 5. Alan O’Connor (capt)
    • 6. Cormac Izuchukwu
    • 7. David McCann
    • 8. Nick Timoney

Replacements:

• 16. Tom Stewart
    • 17. Andy Warwick
    • 18. Scott Wilson
    • 19. Harry Sheridan
    • 20. Matty Rea
    • 21. Nathan Doak
    • 22. Stewart Moore
    • 23. Jude Postlethwaite

Izzy continues at blindside. Glad to see McIlroy back at FB, which I consider his best position. Disheartening to see Matty Rea on the bench. Hopefully Moore can come on when the game breaks up and cuase soem havoc.

I'd be keeping Cooney and Burns on for the full eighty if there's any sniff of a win / 2 bonus points.

Advertisement