Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Ah, 'course. It's all getting a bit congested on the rugby calendar.

I'd like to see Milasinovich play a part, and some young backrowers, but I also want to take as many points from Glasgow as possible. Might be important come the end of the season, especially if they improve in the latter half of the season when their national team contingent are back. Having said that, we went to the Blues to win with McIlroy, so that's not to say the young bucks won't feature.

Would like to see Marshall getting back up to speed, but don't want our midfield to be like a revolving door in terms of personnel. Since August we've seen 12. McCloskey 13. Hume, 12. Moore 13. Hume, 12. McCloskey 13. Moore. Maybe Moore and Hume again, with Marshall on the bench as a safety net?

Could do with am injury update - didn't think O'Toole was supposed to be out this long, and curious about Curtis.

Be concerned for Milasonvich if he doesn’t feature. There hasn’t been official confirmation on injury/set back either?

You’re right on centre revolving doors! Think Stewart Moore might be rested and Marshal start. Moore has clocked up a lot of minutes for a kid in his first senior season already. Would expect Hume back after rest.

Don’t think there was an injury update this week.

7s squad for weekend

Ulster: David McCann, Azur Allison, Greg Jones, Jude Postlethwaite, Ben Carson, Conor McKee, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Conor Rankin, Aaron Sexton, Hayden Hyde, Ben Moxham.

Rea Jnr, McILroy noticeable absentees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

launish116 wrote: »
    7s squad for weekend

Ulster: David McCann, Azur Allison, Greg Jones, Jude Postlethwaite, Ben Carson, Conor McKee, Lewis Finlay, Bruce Houston, Conor Rankin, Aaron Sexton, Hayden Hyde, Ben Moxham.

Rea Jnr, McILroy noticeable absentees?

Good work, Columbo. Hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would be nice to see Lewis Finlay get a shot soon.

bilston wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Lewis Finlay get a shot soon.

We have young talent starting to come through in every other position (apart from lock).

• Advertisement

We have young talent starting to come through in every other position (apart from lock).

Saying that Cormac Izuchukwu is missing the 7s this week.

Saying that Cormac Izuchukwu is missing the 7s this week.

Don't play with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Great to see Jude Poselwaite playing for Ulster 7's this weekend

Both still in school.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Amazing name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

He played in the same 7s u18 team in the European championships as Josh O’Connor,Aaron Leahy,Diarmuid Kilcommins,Ben Moxham.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    He played in the same 7s u18 team in the European championships as Josh O’Connor,Aaron Leahy,Diarmuid Kilcommins,Ben Moxham.

Another centre in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Both still in school.

who is?

Another centre in the pipeline?

Saw him play in the Schools Cup semi final last year, he looked good, he didn't make the Academy this year, Ben Carson got in and Hayden Hyde is already there. Maybe he will get in next year. Not making the Academy straight after school hasn't held Ethan McIlroy back so far!

I thought Jude was a prop?

*Edit phone posting

Saw him play in the Schools Cup semi final last year, he looked good, he didn't make the Academy this year, Ben Carson got in and Hayden Hyde is already there. Maybe he will get in next year. Not making the Academy straight after school hasn't held Ethan McIlroy back so far!

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t McElroy not making the academy more down to him wanting to focus on his studies or something like that?

I thought Jude was a prop?

No Centre/Wing.

Going to be some serious selection and retention issues going forward in the centre.

McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Hume, Stewart, Curtis and Hyde, Carson depending how they go in academy.

Nice to see , if only we could replicate that to the forwards.

bayern wrote: »
    No Centre/Wing.

Oh interesting, I don’t know why I thought he was a prop 😂

• Advertisement

Can’t wait to see Hyde get a go, the people in England who have watched him rate him very highly and were angry/shocked to lose him to Ireland

Can’t wait to see Hyde get a go, the people in England who have watched him rate him very highly and were angry/shocked to lose him to Ireland

I know I keep quoting the U20 Ire V England game but he was unreal! A younger McClockeyesk with a better offload game.

Going to be some serious selection and retention issues going forward in the centre.

McCloskey, Marshall, Addison, Hume, Stewart, Curtis and Hyde, Carson depending how they go in academy.

Nice to see , if only we could replicate that to the forwards.

I'd like to see a second row and an out and out 10 emerge from somewhere. I dont know if there is anyone at schools level worth watching. Those seem to be the positions we are light in within the Academy.

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t McElroy not making the academy more down to him wanting to focus on his studies or something like that?

You might be thinking of the MCB 10, Thomas Armstrong, from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I was actually more impressed with Jude than Caron from what I've seen, but the coaches obviously think different.

Ben Moxham getting called up for the sevens as well. Didn't play well at all for Ireland u20's in the game time he got, although he was u19. I've seen him play a lot better but he'll be doing well to make it into the Ireland u20's this year if they are allowed to play - quite a few good back three players knocking about in other provinces in that year group.

I'd like to see a second row and an out and out 10 emerge from somewhere. I dont know if there is anyone at schools level worth watching. Those seem to be the positions we are light in within the Academy.

Could do with some promising props as well. All an all it does look like we’re starting to go in the right direction anyhow. Good young team back bone developing.

Could do with some promising props as well. All an all it does look like we’re starting to go in the right direction anyhow. Good young team back bone developing.

Oscar Egan(u20), George Saunderson(u20), Patrick McAlpine(u20), Joseph Mawhinney(u19), David Braden(u19) are all good prospects.

With Egan, Saunderson and McAlpine in the sub-academy.

David Humphreys son James has returned from england as in the sub-academy, he is an out and out 10.

bayern wrote: »
    Oscar Egan(u20), George Saunderson(u20), Patrick McAlpine(u20), Joseph Mawhinney(u19), David Braden(u19) are all good prospects.

With Egan, Saunderson and McAlpine in the sub-academy.

Mawhinney and Braden still at school.

Mawhinney is 6'5" and approx 20 stone.

Two 2nd rows at school both made Irish a year young. Both discussed previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

I was actually more impressed with Jude than Caron from what I've seen, but the coaches obviously think different.

Ben Moxham getting called up for the sevens as well. Didn't play well at all for Ireland u20's in the game time he got, although he was u19. I've seen him play a lot better but he'll be doing well to make it into the Ireland u20's this year if they are allowed to play - quite a few good back three players knocking about in other provinces in that year group.

Moxham would have played the majority if not all of his rugby in the centre, so was surprised to see him on the wing in that game albeit he is quick. A lot of good centres around.

Advertisement