Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Luke Marshall looks like he was sharing Marty Moore's diet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    It feels like Murphy hadn't made a yard in about 12 months

Would love to see stats for wins with/without Coetzee.

Our pack is toothless when Coetzee & Henderson are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

launish116 wrote: »
    Would love to see stats for wins with/without Coetzee.

Our pack is toothless when Coetzee & Henderson are gone.

I think its attitude. Not size.

The other forwards psychologically 'shrink' when those two aren't there...
    Basically they need to grow a set

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I think its attitude. Not size.

The other forwards psychologically 'shrink' we those two aren't there...
    Basically they need to grow a set

Reidy is the epitome of that, punches well above his weight.

Fair play to Mclroy for that take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Wow Sam Carter has to be one of the worst signings Ulster have made....what a complete idiot

A win is a win. More a game of Cardiff errors than Ulster winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Quite a negative narrative here despite Ulster beating Cardiff away from home in poor conditions without some key players! And awec and Jaco haven't posted once!

As far as I'm concerned that's a good night's work.

4 from 4 and an excellent start to the season.

Edit - that said I agree we need another big ball carrier...but we knew that already

bilston wrote: »
    Edit - that said I agree we need another big ball carrier...but we knew that already

Issue being no solution in sight and the problem hasn’t just appeared.

Thought Mclroy did well, especially taking several high balls which could of completely changed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Weird, weird game. Conditions were horrible, at least intially. So I didn't expect an amazing free-flowing try-fest. But still, odd how it played out.

Felt like we played well within ourselves. Burns just back from injury, Marshall back from long-term injury, McCloskey back from having been with Ireland... It all showed. Hence the forwards playing keep-ball, presumably, and trying to exhaust the Blues pack. The decision to scrum them to death was most unlike us. I think there were some things McF and co had issued specific instructions about.

I also thought that we won because of how the bench was used. Reidy was great when he came on, as the Blues were tiring. Our scrum

Some observations about players:

Jordi Murphy needs to be phased out. I genuinely think he's done. Timoney's not the answer either.

Carter was very lucky not to be carded. Whereas Treadwell was working his baps off. Kieran is trying, hard, and Sam ain't.

McIlroy looks good again, Lowry is twice the fullback Jacob is, currently. The way he dealt with the ball in the backfield was so much more natural and instinctive. As always, massively brave. And that line for his try - beautiful.

It was obvious Moore has never played with McCloskey before. They weren't on the same page. Which is only to be expected.

Burns is good on his feet.

We know we need another big ball carrier. If we'd had one, it might well have been them that crashed over In the last ten minutes of the first half.

Otherwise... The Blues were always going to dig deep, at home and after that defeat by Munster. They were extremely physical, and absolutely resolute.

But they made the mistakes and we didn't. The knock ons, the forward passes, the fumbles - we didn't do that, and a couple of seasons ago, we would have fluffed a few of those periods of pressure, whereas tonight we pushed and pushed - seemingly ineffectively, but got penalties. We spent seasons being the ones throwing away good positions with moments of madness and poor skills, having done all the hard work. Didn't happen tonight.

I did wonder if the Blues' determination to dominate physically led to some of their injuries. How many of their players left the field injured? They seemed to be falling like flies. They were more physical, we were more skillful seems close to the truth.

At the end of the day, we went away to one of the better teams in the league, resting Coetzee and Lyttle, and won.

• Advertisement

Jordi Murphy needs to be phased out. I genuinely think he's done. Timoney's not the answer either.

Worrying sight, didn’t realise he is only 29. When you rule them two out we literally have no seniors left for bench.
    Carter was very lucky not to be carded. Whereas Treadwell was working his baps off. Kieran is trying, hard, and Sam ain't.

Another night of improvement in set piece with him on and then negates it in open play. So annoying, though I wish he would show others his ball carrying technique made one good carry. Treadwell really upped the physicality tonight also.
    At the end of the day, we went away to one of the better teams in the league, resting Coetzee and Lyttle, and won.

Hopefully Coetzee only has a niggle and be back for next week.

Its a long time ago now...but wasn't Justin Harrison quite similar to Carter? Good in the set piece, not so good elsewhere. Can't quite remember, but the sort of players that team mates maybe appreciate more than those watching. I wonder Carter is the same.

Quality try from Lowry by the way. Good combination of footwork and pace, plus strength to evade the first tackle...oh and a tidy pick up as well!

Its a long time ago now...but wasn't Justin Harrison quite similar to Carter? Good in the set piece, not so good elsewhere. Can't quite remember, but the sort of players that team mates maybe appreciate more than those watching. I wonder Carter is the same.

Think you’re right. It just seems like the lineout and rolling maul starting firing well with him. Scrum started to edge forward as well.

I guess he’s like every player, positives and negatives. Just need to mitigate the negatives.

Hard to say if the last scrums were an improvement because of Carter or the replacements in the front row for the Blues. I also thought, even before he came on, our lineout, aside from two early fluffs, was better than it was two seasons ago anyway. The thing that usually is a weapon for us, and wasn't last night, was our maul. Again, it was much better right at the end, but is that due to Carter or our bench being players like McGrath and Reidy?

Would have given MotM to Treadwell (tough carries, lineout work, fast line speed) or possibly Lowry. Second week three's been impressive pressing defence from Treadwell, nailing his guy far behind the line.

Gilroy looks like his speed is gone. There were a number of box kicks from Cooney that turned out to be just too far to be contested. I wondered if his radar was off, but then I wondered if it's because he's used to kicking for Baloucoune or Lyttle on that left wing - they would have hared up in a way that now seems beyond Craig.

So yeah, I'm not nearly as vexed as some were last night, but I would say that game was the clincher for me that we need ReaJea to replace Murphy, Allison to start making appearances and leapfrog Timoney, and that Gilroy is going to become break glass in case of emergency pretty soon. Maybe that's harsh - he was out a long time with a serious injury. But we've Stockdale, Baloucoune and Lyttle, Faddes can do a job, McIlroy is breaking through and Sexton is on the horizon. Ludik will retire after this season, so not counting him.

So yeah, I'm not nearly as vexed as some were last night, but I would say that game was the clincher for me that we need ReaJea to replace Murphy, Allison to start making appearances and leapfrog Timoney, and that Gilroy is going to become break glass in case of emergency pretty soon. Maybe that's harsh - he was out a long time with a serious injury. But we've Stockdale, Baloucoune and Lyttle, Faddes can do a job, McIlroy is breaking through and Sexton is on the horizon. Ludik will retire after this season, so not counting him.

Would be seriously happy if McCann, Rea Jnr or Allison started heaping the pressure on Murphy, Rea & Timoney. Can only lead to a better training environment and might up the consistency of the seniors. Reidy really is a class act!

Would really like to see McIlroy at full back on a dry evening with some attacking rugby on show.

As for youth involvement some useful figures for the provinces (players used this season so far):
    Leinster - 47 (large contingent in Ireland squad)
    Munster - 41 (a lot of injuries)
    Ulster - 35
    Connacht - 35

Since the start of this season we've seen McCann make his debut, Marcus Rea and Stewart Moore make their first starts, 4 consecutive starts for Moore) and Ethan McIlroy shown up well from the bench.

That's pretty good going given we are 4 games in.

4 very good new players for the squad...at least 2 future internationals in there IMO if things work out...great stuff!

DMcF sez: "basically, what Paul said".

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2020/11/i-was-really-pleased-with-the-result-dan-mcfarland/

Promising assessment of McIlroy under the high ball.

Billy Burns in the squad for the Autumn Nations Cup. McCloskey retained. Cooney back to Belfast.

Billy Burns in the squad for the Autumn Nations Cup. McCloskey retained. Cooney back to Belfast.

Gotta feel for Cooney, what else can the man do!

Almost pointless McCloskey going as well if there never gonna give him a game.

• Advertisement

Good news for Burns...I thought the first 20 minutes against Cardiff was a bit of a masterclass. The downside is we won't have him for a few weeks now, as I doubt players will be able to leave camp as what normally happens.

Good news for Burns...I thought the first 20 minutes against Cardiff was a bit of a masterclass. The downside is we won't have him for a few weeks now, as I doubt players will be able to leave camp as what normally happens.

I'd go for Madigan in a fully locked and loaded team against Glasgow, and then maybe Lowry again against Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Gotta fail for Cooney, what else can the man do!

Almost pointless McCloskey going as well if there never gonna give him a game.

Agree, I mentioned earlier that they should both 'retire' from international duty and focus on club.

Team for Monday?

Is Henderson free to line out?

Team for Monday?

Is Henderson free to line out?

Called up to Irish training? No idea if that means he’ll miss the game though.

Hopefully we see some academy backrowers and Milasinovich be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Is that random 7’s tournament still going? All the academy players seem to have been appearing in it. Can’t see McCann, Rea or Allison playing if so.

Is that random 7’s tournament still going? All the academy players seem to have been appearing in it. Can’t see McCann, Rea or Allison playing big so.

Has it been every other weekend?

Sound like a broken record but there is no reason none of them couldn’t even bench. 7s skills would suit this game on an artificial pitch.

Would be keen to see McIlroy again! would expect this game to be more open.

McGrath also needs flogged! Needs his fitness and work rate to increase.

O’Connor probably due a rest, if even on bench.

Stewart Moore needs a rest also. McCloskey being available might dictate that.

Some real selection headaches and we don’t even have a full deck to chose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is that random 7’s tournament still going? All the academy players seem to have been appearing in it. Can’t see McCann, Rea or Allison playing big so.
    Its not random....
    But the 3rd round is scheduled for this weekend.

Ireland game on Friday so no chance Henderson plays

• Advertisement

Ireland game on Friday so no chance Henderson plays

Ah, 'course. It's all getting a bit congested on the rugby calendar.

I'd like to see Milasinovich play a part, and some young backrowers, but I also want to take as many points from Glasgow as possible. Might be important come the end of the season, especially if they improve in the latter half of the season when their national team contingent are back. Having said that, we went to the Blues to win with McIlroy, so that's not to say the young bucks won't feature.

Would like to see Marshall getting back up to speed, but don't want our midfield to be like a revolving door in terms of personnel. Since August we've seen 12. McCloskey 13. Hume, 12. Moore 13. Hume, 12. McCloskey 13. Moore. Maybe Moore and Hume again, with Marshall on the bench as a safety net?

Could do with am injury update - didn't think O'Toole was supposed to be out this long, and curious about Curtis.

Advertisement