Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

molloyjh wrote: »
    What did you do!?

Typical as soon as I said it Coetzee looks like he gets injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For a game with 8 tries there has been some amount of awful kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Treadwell got told off for McBurney being a gob****e

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Treadwell got told off for McBurney being a gob****e

McBurney really isn’t helping his case. 3rd choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    McBurney really isn’t helping his case. 3rd choice now.

McBurney's antics aside, Andrew had an incredible game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

If Ulster can keep there first choice team relatively injury free come knockouts theyll be in a good place,

Having Coetzee playing makes Ulster a completley different team,

When he's not playing Ulster look like half the team,

Mcilroy looks like a silky runner great to see, no reason he shouldnt be ahead of Gilroy at this stage,

Not convinced about the young Rea , Allison was more impressive imo as a player but inury issues seem to hold him back,

Mccann really should be getting gametime at least on the home games like today

If Ulster can keep there first choice team relatively injury free come knockouts theyll be in a good place,

Having Coetzee playing makes Ulster a completley different team,

When he's not playing Ulster look like half the team,

Mcilroy looks like a silky runner great to see, no reason he shouldnt be ahead of Gilroy at this stage,

Not convinced about the young Rea , Allison was more impressive imo as a player but inury issues seem to hold him back,

Mccann really should be getting gametime at least on the home games like today

Part of me wonders, it’s great all these wins against depleted teams. But will they eventually come back to hunt us?

Rea jnr looked a little under powered, but was eager. His brother took a season and abit to truely meet his physical peak at seniors. This give him time.

Just need McCann and Allison to put their hand up now. Let them all keep getting exposure.

McIlroy does look sharp with a good step. A lot quicker than I realised. His biggest issue is gonna be shifting Lowry, positional he was very good tonight.

launish116 wrote: »
    Part of me wonders, it’s great all these wins against depleted teams. But will they eventually come back to hunt us?

Rea jnr looked a little under powered, but was eager. His brother took a season and abit to truely meet his physical peak at seniors. This give him time.

Just need McCann and Allison to put their hand up now. Let them all keep getting exposure.

McIlroy does look sharp with a good step. A lot quicker than I realised. His biggest issue is gonna be shifting Lowry, positional he was very good tonight.

Ye the reason i doubt his ability is, usually at u20 level the starting backrows really have a tough time making it and pro14 level and most never get to that level,

He was probably the 5th choice backrow at his age level which is not a good sign: Paul Boyle, Doris, Coombes, Masterson were all rated higher,

He could always be the exeption but hes really playing against the odds of making it at this level, even guys like Lorcan Dow who pretty much started all his under age games for ireland wasnt able to cut it,

What ever happened to Aaron Hall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

McBurney's antics aside, Andrew had an incredible game.

This!

I thought he had a superb game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ye the reason i doubt his ability is, usually at u20 level the starting backrows really have a tough time making it and pro14 level and most never get to that level,

He was probably the 5th choice backrow at his age level which is not a good sign: Paul Boyle, Doris, Coombes, Masterson were all rated higher,

He could always be the exeption but hes really playing against the odds of making it at this level, even guys like Lorcan Dow who pretty much started all his under age games for ireland wasnt able to cut it,

What ever happened to Aaron Hall ?
    Aaron Hall was listed as back playing with his home club Ballyclare but not sure what he played of the few games that have been played this season in junior rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Aaron Hall was listed as back playing with his home club Ballyclare but not sure what he played of the few games that have been played this season in junior rugby

He got a serious injury which just completely stalled him. Think ReaJea looked good and combative in his previous start - I do think there's a bit of fetishisation of the rank at U20. King, did you not write a thesis about Hugo Keenan and how you knew he'd come good, despite him not being a stand-out at a young age?

Chris Henry had four, almost five years between playing at U20s and his first Ulster cap. ReaJea has come through Ballymena, the club system, not hothoused through schools with quasi-professional S&C and training facilities. Writing him off at this stage would be fairly pre-emptive.

bilston wrote: »
    This!

I thought he had a superb game.

With all the talk of McBurney's potential, Andrew has been viewed as a stop-gap. He has absolutely flourished with Herring away, and, since this season started, I've gone from thinking "he'll do a competent job" to being excited about what he brings. My MotM this evening.

He got a serious injury which just completely stalled him. Think ReaJea looked good and combative in his previous start - I do think there's a bit of fetishisation of the rank at U20. King, did you not write a thesis about Hugo Keenan and how you knew he'd come good, despite him not being a stand-out at a young age?

Chris Henry had four, almost five years between playing at U20s and his first Ulster cap. ReaJea has come through Ballymena, the club system, not hothoused through schools with quasi-professional S&C and training facilities. Writing him off at this stage would be fairly pre-emptive.

Michael Lowry didn't even make the U20 WC squad in his year. Not being a standout at U20s shouldn't hold players back in their develop a bit later...or in the case of Lowry I suspect the selectors hadn't a clue what they were doing.

I'm pretty sure I remember Marcus Rea was Ireland U19 captain, not sure what happened in his U20 year, maybe he did fall down the pecking order. I still think he is a decent prospect, not sure he is top drawer like I think McCann is, but I think he should be getting lots of chances.

Yes I did, and was proven entirely correct at Keenans ability to step up to international level, so thanks lol , Keenan also then went on to stand out at U20s level which Rea never did and was only selected when other options injured Take your Ulster glasses off it’s clouding your judgment lol No ones writing him off but the odds aren’t in his favour ..at all , you seem to take it way to personally 🀣

Yes I did, and was proven entirely correct at Keenans ability to step up to international level, so thanks lol , Keenan also then went on to stand out at U20s level which Rea never did and was only selected when other options injured Take your Ulster glasses off it’s clouding your judgment lol No ones writing him off but the odds aren’t in his favour ..at all , you seem to take it way to personally 🀣

He may well not make it, which would be irritating, but not an absolute shock. But being told not to take it personally by someone who penned a novella called "My Lovely Mate Hugo" is a no-no.

I think this needs remembered and put in perspective, Rea senior took a season + to mature and reach potential physically with proper senior S&C.

None of McCann, Rea, Allison are gonna just slot into senior rugby and be completely ready. Albeit they all seem to have the frame to fill out. McCann noticeable looks to have put on some timber already.

Though it does feel like our forwards are always years behind there counterparts in Leinster etc. Something Ulster need to look at. Question needs asked.

Anyway - About Last Night.

Pleased with Treadwell's performance. Stu Moore needs to tighten up his defence a bit but is so good in attack, and good with the boot. Lowry is always improving as a 15 - positioning, fielding - and that break! McIlroy looks comfortable already.

Gilroy looks sluggish still and Rea Senior hasn't kept up the big push in his performances from a few weeks ago.

Fair's fair, I thought Kyle McCall worked hard and willing. Sam Carter was good. No ridiculous penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

IMHO Sam Carter put in probably his best performance to date.

Faddes played well too.

I think John Andrew and Sean Reidy were our two best players.

IMHO Sam Carter put in probably his best performance to date.

Still needs to go up the gears! But an improvement all the same.

• Advertisement

He may well not make it, which would be irritating, but not an absolute shock. But being told not to take it personally by someone who penned a novella called "My Lovely Mate Hugo" is a no-no.

Lol your still mad arent you, you mean Hugo who now starts for Ireland or Rea who was 5th choice backrow for the u20s

i'll understand if taking your Rea jnr poster of your bedroom wall is disappointing

Lol your still mad arent you, you mean Hugo who now starts for Ireland or Rea who was 5th choice backrow for the u20s

Erm... whut

"Hugo who now starts for Ireland or Rea who was 5th choice backrow for the u20s"... what? What about Hugo or Rea?

Your example, Keenan has shown you don't need to be a golden boy from the off. Some of us said that may be true for Rea as well... but you seem to want them to duel or something?

You got mocked for telling us we were taking criticism of Rea personally, when you wrote a perfumed personal reference for Hugo for the board. That's all.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's enough Paul Smeenus and kingofthekong.

kingofthekong this is the Ulster thread, you are welcome to continue posting here but please don't start criticising young Ulster players.

Right. So - next week. Zebre, away without their internationals or a home crowd. Have to see Allison or McCann feature, surely?

Maybe - maybe - Finlay on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Right. So - next week. Zebre, away without their internationals or a home crowd. Have to see Allison or McCann feature, surely?

You would like to think so. I get that we're trying to take as many points as possible during the international break given our squad hasn't been affected as much (injuries and suspensions aside), but these sorts of games are perfect for throwing in one or two youngsters. Coetzee's fitness might be a factor here, but I'd like to see more of McCann regardless.

The coaches seem to have faith in our young backs, so I'd love to retain Moore and MrIlroy. Moore has had a similar start to Hume - good offensively and bad defensively. McIlroy hasn't really been tested too much but I think he deserves more minutes - especially with Ludik on his last legs, Baloucoune and Addison rehabbing, and Gilroy running like he's wearing scuba-diving gear.

Doesn't seem to trust the scrumhalves though so I won't be expecting to see Finlay.

You also have to remember that Dan has to keep the senior squad happy. For example Jordi Murphy missed last night and James Hume has had a couple of games off. Alby Matthewson hasn't featured much lately either. He might want to play them all next weekend.

You would like to think so. I get that we're trying to take as many points as possible during the international break given our squad hasn't been affected as much (injuries and suspensions aside), but these sorts of games are perfect for throwing in one or two youngsters. Coetzee's fitness might be a factor here, but I'd like to see more of McCann regardless.

The coaches seem to have faith in our young backs, so I'd love to retain Moore and MrIlroy. Moore has had a similar start to Hume - good offensively and bad defensively. McIlroy hasn't really been tested too much but I think he deserves more minutes - especially with Ludik on his last legs, Baloucoune and Addison rehabbing, and Gilroy running like he's wearing scuba-diving gear.

Doesn't seem to trust the scrumhalves though so I won't be expecting to see Finlay.

Start Milasinovich and have Moore/O’Toole bench.

Keep giving McIlroy exposure (hard to fault Lowry at 15 though).

Would rest and not risk Coetzee bigger tasks a head. Finding a backrow balance to accommodate McCann or Allison is the issue. Would expect Murphy to come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Is Jones going to get any game time?

Is Jones going to get any game time?

Hard to say. He's been good for us when he's come on - not astounding, but played pretty well each time.

But he'll be 25 in January and his debut was in November 2017. He just seems to have never gotten regular games.

I have zero idea why, but there's clearly something stopping him breaking through. In his time at Ulster he's seemingly been leapfrogged by both Reas, although Senior is a couple of years older than him.

• Advertisement

Hard to say. He's been good for us when he's come on - not astounding, but played pretty well each time.

Think that’s the issue, he’d be behind Timoney at 8. He’s mobile and skilful, but like Timoney isn’t a ball carrier we need. He’s never imploded for us, though never really peaked either sadly.

Game time might be better used on other players who have the potential to go further I’d say.

Advertisement