Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Progress so far

Right job, fairplay to ye hope it'll make a big improvement for ye. There is only so much adding on and messing you can do with old sheds as well at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Base price wrote: »
    @ Keepgrowing, do you mind me asking what type of whisk you are using and how long is it. We will have to replace our old Abbey as someone borrowed it last year and damaged the gearbox. I wondering how much a new/second hand one will be.

It’s a Joskin 7m long with 1’ propeller blades. Cost €5000 about 6 years ago. This one is very power hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Progress so far

Super looking job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought I'd throw up a few points that came up in a presentation by a vet during the week.

Abomasal ulcers are getting to be a concern in calves here with a big increase in them showing up in dairy bred calves in the last few years that is being linked with increased use of AOD feeding.

ZST tests on immunity levels in calves showed dairy calves have good levels overall but still have room for improvement. No difference found between male and female calves either despite what anecdotal evidence would say.

Suckler calves would have poorer levels possibly because of lack of active feeding and timing of colostrum feeding.

Dairy bred calves would have more scour cases needing antibiotic treatment and mostly in the first month of life.

Suckler calves would have more pneumonia cases needing antibiotic treatment and mostly in the second month of life.

There may be a case for saying blackleg vaccination can reduce bloat issues in calves.

The age limit for castration in calves is 6 months. After that, a local anesthetic is needed and a vet to do the job. Studies have shown no need for anesthetic before 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I thought I'd throw up a few points that came up in a presentation by a vet during the week.

Abomasal ulcers are getting to be a concern in calves here with a big increase in them showing up in dairy bred calves in the last few years that is being linked with increased use of OAD feeding.

ZST tests on immunity levels in calves showed dairy calves have good levels overall but still have room for improvement. No difference found between male and female calves either despite what anecdotal evidence would say.

Suckler calves would have poorer levels possibly because of lack of active feeding and timing of colostrum feeding.

Dairy bred calves would have more scour cases needing antibiotic treatment and mostly in the first month of life.

Suckler calves would have more pneumonia cases needing antibiotic treatment and mostly in the second month of life.

There may be a case for saying blackleg vaccination can reduce bloat issues in calves.

The age limit for castration in calves is 6 months. After that, a local anesthetic is needed and a vet to do the job. Studies have shown no need for anesthetic before 6 months.

What is AOD feeding ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What is AOD feeding ?
    I presume it's a misprint and should be OAD.

What is AOD feeding ?

As BP said, once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Abomasal ulcers are getting to be a concern in calves here with a big increase in them showing up in dairy bred calves in the last few years that is being linked with increased use of AOD feeding.

Re abomasal ulcers was there any reference to the age that the calves went on OAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

IAS

Lucky here as weather not really a factor unless it becomes monsoon. Will be injected in

Why injection? I know you're not injecting constantly but it seems be overkill conpared to trailing shoe

Talking to my bosses in Germany last year and they mentioned problems related to soil structure on land that was constantly injected with slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why injection? I know you're not injecting constantly but it seems be overkill conpared to trailing shoe

Talking to my bosses in Germany last year and they mentioned problems related to soil structure on land that was constantly injected with slurry.

What sort of issues?

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Re abomasal ulcers was there any reference to the age that the calves went on OAD.

No mention, she was just highlighting a few concerns showing up from post mortems in the last while where it was a rarity to becoming more common recently.

She made a few points like the above after a presentation about antimicrobial resistance. She also mentioned the need for better calf housing to keep pace with expansion and the need to prepare early for a scenario where male calves would be left on dairy farms for longer than the usual 3 to 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Reggie. wrote: »
    What sort of issues?

The constant discing/slitting of pasture (affected only non tilled ground) caused issues with the structure of the soil.

Dont know the details but I'll find out during from them the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The constant discing/slitting of pasture (affected only non tilled ground) caused issues with the structure of the soil.

Dont know the details but I'll find out during from them the week.

Interesting - one of the top Dairy operations in North Kildare(Cocomans) rarely if ever conduct the likes of reseeding nowadays for those very reasons. Its just down the road from my parents place and both land and cows look top class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I know a tillage farm that’s now over 20yrs at zero soil disturbance and they stopped discing in the duck slurry. It’s causing a build up of a layer of ‘muck’ that’s affecting soil structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What do ye all do for checking cows, scanning or milk pregnancy test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Scanning
    The milk pregnancy test has to be done 6 or 8 weeks after bulling and they could lose such an early pregnancy
    So I scan twice
    2nd time is scanning the empty's about 3 months after the Bull is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Scan once about 5-6 weeks after the bull is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I know a tillage farm that’s now over 20yrs at zero soil disturbance and they stopped discing in the duck slurry. It’s causing a build up of a layer of ‘muck’ that’s affecting soil structure.
    Too much of anything is bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

kevthegaff wrote: »

We gave up scanning, too much hassle and we usually kill them anyway so no real gain for us

we'd have a good idea anyway of which ones aren't in calf

Scanning about 4 weeks after bull is out

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »

We gave up scanning, too much hassle and we usually kill them anyway so no real gain for us

we'd have a good idea anyway of which ones aren't in calf
    I milk tested last year was happy enough and no disturbing stock, but it's not 100%accurate

Scan in mid September normally. Any showing up empty then, we scan again in November just to declare a pregnancy if there's a calf there when selling.

Scan in mid September normally. Any showing up empty then, we scan again in November just to declare a pregnancy if there's a calf there when selling.

would ye always declare in the mart?

If selling culls would declare empty in the mart once scanned. Sold a young cow who would have made less if I hadn't, lad bought her to put her incalf. I was scratching my head but each to their own...

I'd always say probably in calf 6 weeks or probably not in calf. I had a saga after selling a cow as incalf a good while back when the buyer came back to me a year later through the mart saying the cow wasn't calf and wanting a refund and money for keeping the cow.

Too much hassle to definitely declare pregnant or not so just declare probably so they can check for themselves and leaves me off the hook in case they are or not.

I would sell a few in the yard as well to a guy that wants them incalf so the few not incalf can go to the mart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Announcing cows as "running with a bull" is what I see most lads doing locally if they've any doubts about possible pregnancies. It's almost always poorer type cows that are announced as the more forward types would usually be slaughtered before any pregnancy would become apparent.

A local man used to show a bundle of springers annually, usually in December as they came off rented land. They'd be advertised as maybe 40 first calver's but there'd always be a few cows mixed through them. He was never to particular about bulls or scanning so all was announced as "running with a half bred bull, no guarantee and no come back". This particular year had bad weather all back end and the cattle were poorer than normal. As the sale wore on the quality decreased, the last cow into the ring was old and wore out prompting the auctioneer to announce her as "walking with the bull" as he reckoned she was to shook to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I have concrete rubble here from breaking up a bit of a yard, could I use it to fill up the cubicle beds instead of buying stone before concreting?
    Would it end up cracking in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I have concrete rubble here from breaking up a bit of a yard, could I use it to fill up the cubicle beds instead of buying stone before concreting?
    Would it end up cracking in time?

It should do the finest. So long as there's no muck or earth mixed through. I would top it off with 804 and whack it

I have 9 acres drained here I was planning to reseed, but with contractors busy at silage late on and me elsewhere missed the chance last week. Was thinking of sowing a catch crop to help condition the soil and sow the grass next spring instead. Has anyone done it or is it a pointless exercise this late in the year? Wouldn't be worried about a grazeable crop as it's near a stream, more one to plough in next spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    I have 9 acres drained here I was planning to reseed, but with contractors busy at silage late on and me elsewhere missed the chance last week. Was thinking of sowing a catch crop to help condition the soil and sow the grass next spring instead. Has anyone done it or is it a pointless exercise this late in the year? Wouldn't be worried about a grazeable crop as it's near a stream, more one to plough in next spring

This thread might be of interest.
    http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/cover-crops-3-0.16491/

Tillage farmers around these parts seem to be getting on well with something called a 7 way magic mix. It's putting carbon in the soil. So the soil is darker next year and easier worked and holds nitrogen better.
    Not exactly sure where the seed is coming from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement