Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

mahoney_j wrote: »
    The fact they don’t says enough about them our image will be destroyed if we go Bobby calf route

Destroyed for who ? Larry bord bia, the Irish meat brought to England France and the Netherlands to be bord bia approved
    There quiet capable of destroying it themselves without us !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

orm0nd wrote: »
    The Meehan family have always been entrepreneurs in their own right. As well as successful dairy farmers have many sidelines.

Good man Richard , stop talking about urself- lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Destroyed for who ? Larry bord bia, the Irish meat brought to England France and the Netherlands to be bord bia approved
    There quiet capable of destroying it themselves without us !

All's fair in war isn't it, they did what they had to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

shes doing well out of the farming community anyway as she bought a great big house and 65 acres for 1.3million this time last yr.... tis good to see someone making a few bob out of the oul farming and i suppose mayb this is her way of giving something back

she used the articles in the papers to boost her profile in the farming community ,
    now I see another kerry solicitor writing her columns now , another millionaire in the making so .
    money doesn't fall out of the sky so we can't begrudge hard work .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So I just got my Johnes and Neospora results back. 1 Neospora positive and 2 Johnes positives. None of them were in calf at scanning so were going anyway.

Delighted with that, expected both results to be higher, tbh. One or two cows surprised me in not being Johnes positives, old cows and hard to put flesh on and a persistent scour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

kerry cow wrote: »
    she used the articles in the papers to boost her profile in the farming community ,
    now I see another kerry solicitor writing her columns now , another millionaire in the making so .
    money doesn't fall out of the sky so we can't begrudge hard work .

yes a very ambitious woman... i suppose my point really is she provides a service and rightly charges whatever it costs to provide the service... making sure she has a few bob for herself at the end of it.. same as carpenters blocklayers engineers doctors and so on and so on... its a pity the oul beef farmer who in a way provides a service in that they rear cattle to produce beef for people to eat cant be paid what they need to be paid to make a living....

whos the kerry soliucitor... what paper does she write in??? i wonder does Buford know her????

yes a very ambitious woman... i suppose my point really is she provides a service and rightly charges whatever it costs to provide the service... making sure she has a few bob for herself at the end of it.. same as carpenters blocklayers engineers doctors and so on and so on... its a pity the oul beef farmer who in a way provides a service in that they rear cattle to produce beef for people to eat cant be paid what they need to be paid to make a living....

whos the kerry soliucitor... what paper does she write in??? i wonder does Buford know her????
    I know nuttin:D

I don't think MK is a solicitor, if that's who you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

So I just got my Johnes and Neospora results back. 1 Neospora positive and 2 Johnes positives. None of them were in calf at scanning so were going anyway.

Delighted with that, expected both results to be higher, tbh. One or two cows surprised me in not being Johnes positives, old cows and hard to put flesh on and a persistent scour.

Do you have offspring from the positives still on farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would old cow's still be alive if they had it?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Would old cow's still be alive if they had it?

Yes. Some dont show symptoms

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you have offspring from the positives still on farm?

No females just AAx from this year and a Fr bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

will you get accurate blood results from neospora at this stage of pregnancy

degetme wrote: »
    will you get accurate blood results from neospora at this stage of pregnancy

The vet said I would. We were taking Johnes bloods anyway so did both then.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

We are planning on getting a new 10000 litre milk tank through the tams grant, is serap or de laval a better tank. It would cost in the region of €25000 but with the grant be about €12000. Need to decide on whether bank of ireland or the cultivate credit union loan is the better option. Can we apply online ourselves or do we need to go through teagasc?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭straight

Henwin wrote: »
    We are planning on getting a new 10000 litre milk tank through the tams grant, is serap or de laval a better tank. It would cost in the region of €25000 but with the grant be about €12000. Need to decide on whether bank of ireland or the cultivate credit union loan is the better option. Can we apply online ourselves or do we need to go through teagasc?

Mueller

straight wrote: »
    Mueller

Not packo anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Depending on your part of the country , it might be worth considering a Kilkenny or a Liscarroll. Both basic and simple and good value, usually with the higher end of the cooling hp as standard.

Don'k know about the Serap tank, have a Delaval tank here with 12 years now.

The lines taking the detergent from the containers to the wash are prone to close in just inside the tank, they need to be kept an eye on.

You may need a booster pump to wash properly if using mains water, we always have a warning about water pressure being too low. The tank still washes in 20 minutes or so but it's a bit annoying.

The nozzles for the wash in the agitator go blocked last month by two half inch plastic washers and I never spotted it until we failed a test. No idea where they came from, either the mains water or some internal point in the wash route, but it's washing OK again now once we pulled them out.

Oh, and the acid wash always shows not enough acid after the wash. Like, always.

Annoying little things for me but tbc is consistently between 6 and 10 so it seems OK otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very easy to apply online for a Tams grand if your comfortable with agfood.ie. Bulk tank doesn't need any planning permission etc. It will take several weeks to get approval also.

Last of the silage being cut this evening, 6 acres of 2300 cover and cows weren't happy eating the first part of it so into bales and no more issues with it till next year. Maybe a shake of lime in a week or two wouldn't hurt it either.

And silage is a wrap for this year:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭farmertipp

Mueller is the one. we've had 3 since the 70s. reliability never an issue.

Dairymaster here, doing fine since put in a couple of years ago. Had a packo for 20 odd years before that it the newer ones don't seem to be as reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve 3 Serap tanks of various ages. Never had any reliability issues. I can’t remember ever having a breakdown. They get serviced once a year and that’s all.
    I’ve no idea of what other makes are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

had a few tanks here over the years

muller, very expensive to repair, good tank

then moved to a dairikool tank which was a disaster, must be the only tank that you need to manually wash tank after wash has finished, cheapest to buy

now on a gea tank made in france and havent had a problem yet, on par with muller for price but far less repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

https://twitter.com/badhamrd/status/1175111997375111169?s=09

Wouldbt be the first unhappy dairymaster customer I've seen post similar on twitter lately

What are the issues with it? Haven't had a TBC over 6 here this year. From what I can remember the only change we made to it the first few weeks was adjust the water volume for the wash. That was done by the crowd that service it, not dairymaster. The odd time it had to be turned on and off again which is annoying but rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

Wouldbt be the first unhappy dairymaster customer I've seen post similar on twitter lately

Fair statement alright!

Aye...

Am thinking of not putting feed troughs in my new shed. Would put a silage pusher-assume a tyre one- on my 35. This will mean I can feed bales or with feeder. Is this workable or are there other options for pushing in the silage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

Will the tyre be able to push in half a bale iykwim?

Iv no feed trough here at all, nothing against them just never had one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement