Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Getting wet here too but ground conditions a non issue .....for now .took different approach to autumn covers here last 2 years gone away from tegasc advise of there target covers etc which I feel are too high especially in a wet back end ,grazing 16/1800 cover max ,even with small buffer in no issue with clean outs and growth rates remaining high .with high covers both clean outs and regrowths would suffer

Have covers around 2000 here on heavy ground I can't get into. Had a growth of over 70 last week which for the last week of September is exceptional I think. Stocked a bit lower than other years. First year calving all spring too so will prob adjust late summer / autumn management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have covers around 2000 here on heavy ground I can't get into. Had a growth of over 70 last week which for the last week of September is exceptional I think. Stocked a bit lower than other years. First year calving all spring too so will prob adjust late summer / autumn management.

The most difficult decision of all is when to start extending rotation. I don't think there's any fixed date. I reckon it's a growth rate decision rather than a date one. While a farm is growing 70, more than 24 days is heading for trouble. Our forecast predictions now, re grass growth are pretty dependable, and a decision to extend rotation can easily be identified a week out from reducing rates say down to 50s and 40s, and buffering then can easily get that rot. out to 30/35.

The mortal sin I reckon is buffering to extend rotation and ending up with covers that are too high...hold the buffer and use it only when growth will no longer exceed demand and pgy starts to drop below 2000..

Decisions as to when to start extending the round and the decision of when to start closing should not be made until well after the event...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone know anything about the new johnes scheme or where I can get information?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone know anything about the new johnes scheme or where I can get information?

Your vet should know or ahi have a johnes section 0719671928

whelan2 wrote: »
    Your vet should know or ahi have a johnes section 0719671928

Had a quick look through the johnes section on the ahi website.
    Which way of resting if testing is better? Milk or blood?.

• Advertisement

Had a quick look through the johnes section on the ahi website.
    Which way of resting if testing is better? Milk or blood?.

I blood at tb test. I dont think any way is 100 % accurate. It also depends if you have tb tested recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I blood at tb test. I dont think any way is 100 % accurate. It also depends if you have tb tested recently.

Or tested within 3 months, I think.

Or tested within 3 months, I think.

Does the TB test affect It? We tested in march

Does the TB test affect It? We tested in march

You'll be grand so. Do you milk record? Might be easier to test then

You'll be grand so. Do you milk record? Might be easier to test then

Did one last week. Was going to be my last one for the year.
    I'd say my vet would love me if I said I wanted to blood all the cows at testing, he was delighted when the brucellosis test went

• Advertisement

I'd say my vet would love me if I said I wanted to blood all the cows at testing, he was delighted when the brucellosis test went

It doesn't take that much longer to do them

If you're doing it through milk recording, you'd want to be telling them soon. We did ours with blood the day of the test. Took about an hour longer than normal but the cows are more or less trained for testing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, well trained, if their like my sucklers, the ould ones shove their head down to the ground.

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah, well trained, if their like my sucklers, the ould ones shove their head down to the ground.

We've either been restricted or contiguous for the last three and a half years so they generally know if they're all kept in the yard after milking, the only way out is through the crush. I drive them in and the vet shuts them up and their heads out the right side.

We've had a good bit of practice:)

Speaking of TB, a bit of pressure in the UK to investigate the potential use of TB vaccinations in cattle with more sensitive tests available to differentiate between vaccinated and infected cattle?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/P-9-2019-003006_EN.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st of October tomorrow! I'm here still topping fields at the min, and haven't thought once about closing up paddocks for the winter! You couldn't ask for a better year weather wise than we have got here.
    Its a dfferent world over there, we would be considered to have a decent farm in our area, and I've the heavy land grazed since last week. I had to put the cows in Saturday night, only on off grazing now and I can't see that changing given the forecast. You couldn't put a tractor in amny field now around here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OK the difference a day makes, that 30 odd mm that fell last 24hrs has defo put the ground into saturation. I left a feed trailer in with the cows corner the field overnight, and they absolutely made sh1t of around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

OK the difference a day makes, that 30 odd mm that fell last 24hrs has defo put the ground into saturation. I left a feed trailer in with the cows corner the field overnight, and they absolutely made sh1t of around it.

So much for the drought :D

New thread on cubicle houses from the Journal.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamConlon/status/1179094424950837248?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49891449

the map of the Nitrogen dioxide air pollution is interesting, seems dublin, limerick and cork city are our main culprits

• Advertisement

No problem with ground conditions here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Mowed 5 acres of silage here today. Not wanted but grass was outta control :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49891449

the map of the Nitrogen dioxide air pollution is interesting, seems dublin, limerick and cork city are our main culprits

You can thank the Green Party for that and their diesel push 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭visatorro

Paddocks ok here but iv alot of work to do on lanes. The most of my current lane is northside of a high ditch. It rarely dries out. Feckin mess

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

U mowed paddocks :L
    Barely keeping the moo moo's above water here, tomorrow could be the nail in the coffin.
    In a good position grass wise but what generally happens with these big storms is the salt spray just comes in from the Atlantic and burns what grass we have and it melts into the ground.
    Fingers crossed it doesn't come as bad.

How do ye get downer cows out of your cubicle shed? My shed is 10 bays long. At the moment I push the cow out with the automatic scraper. We are deciding whether to gate or concrete the end walls . Assuming I will need access at the end of each passage to get in to get a cow out with loader. What do ye suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

How do ye get downer cows out of your cubicle shed? My shed is 10 bays long. At the moment I push the cow out with the automatic scraper. We are deciding whether to gate or concrete the end walls . Assuming I will need access at the end of each passage to get in to get a cow out with loader. What do ye suggest?

If it happens during the day we roll cow into an 8’ loader bucket and remove, simply as you need at least one rolling cow and one on loader. If at night a ratchet strap to get out of cubicle and on to a lorry cover which we tow out.

Key thing is we can drive into all passages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The scraper sounds a bit rough! A long rope is cheap, and often comes in handy anyway, if you can't get in. We roll them onto a slat mat (Mayo) here and pull any out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I use a hip lifter to get them out.

You should definitely leave tractor access at the end of each channel, even if it's just for scraping it out if the power is gone for a day or 2 during the winter

• Advertisement

Hip lifter and the Ursus and loader can drive up any of the cubicle passages, luckily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement