Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Timmaay wrote: »
    Spent half the day here in the eye and ear hospital in Dublin, chap I have working got some cement dust in his eye while making a mix of concrete. I had no idea how dangerous cement can be, but it most certainly stings like fook and can cause long term damage if not treated quickly and properly. All ended up grand afterwards with him, but something I'll be more cautious of in future definitely.
    A neighbour got white rhino lime in his eyes a good few years ago, rushed straight to hospital and spent a couple of days there getting his eyes washed out every few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 29,231 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »
    Do any of ye use opened salmonella bottles 3 weeks later. I've a full bottle with just 2 doses gone out of it 3 weeks ago.

Does it not say to use within 8 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

kevthegaff wrote: »
    cow slipped and teat hanging off, whats the best procedure?

Happened here recently, she did not stop bleeding. Rang vet and he cut off spin and stitched it. He was looking for a dehorner to burn it but iv none. Bottle of antibiotics then. Dunno whether I was extreme calling vet but when she kept bleeding I said I better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    Do any of ye use opened salmonella bottles 3 weeks later. I've a full bottle with just 2 doses gone out of it 3 weeks ago.

Its reccomend to use the bottle within 10 hours of opening.
    I wouldn't chance it any way.

We were 2 doses short for the cows, have extra doses left over when heifers get second shot so will do the 2 cows then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, I better throw it away. I sealed it with candle wax trying to save a few bob and put it in the fridge but I would have been better off doing a few cows that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't know what to make of this new musical milk packaging from Avonmore.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1177598964541136903?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Need esb upgraded for the parlour. How long does it generally take to get them to do this? I need to knock the shed that the meter is in too so that has to be moved to allow work to start.

Grueller wrote: »
    Need esb upgraded for the parlour. How long does it generally take to get them to do this? I need to knock the shed that the meter is in too so that has to be moved to allow work to start.

I paid money to them last December and it was April before the work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The esb will it go as far as the transformer, you'll have to havethe cable down as far as the pole where where the transformer is and your own electrician takes care of the rest. Get on to the esb for a quote for the upgrade and they'll send someone out. Talk to your own electrician then as well. If there is a 3 phase line nearby get a quote for that, of its close enough there may not be much of a difference in getting 3 phase over an upgraded single phase

Does anyone have those rollover drinkers from condons?

• Advertisement

Contractor beside me welds a couple every winter for lads that's all I know about them!
    I just bought the fixed one you empty from the bottom.

Are they much dearer than a fixed one?

visatorro wrote: »

Dont know will ask on Monday. Builder reckons he'll be finished in 3 weeks

visatorro wrote: »

Around 500 euro versus 300 euro, if my memory serves me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

whelan2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have those rollover drinkers from condons?

Have 6 of them on cubicles, one of them has a lot of rusty stains in side it, the rest are starting to develop stains only noticed last week.
    They're stainless steel ones as well.
    Wouldn't be impressed, phone call in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Mooooo wrote: »
    The esb will it go as far as the transformer, you'll have to havethe cable down as far as the pole where where the transformer is and your own electrician takes care of the rest. Get on to the esb for a quote for the upgrade and they'll send someone out. Talk to your own electrician then as well. If there is a 3 phase line nearby get a quote for that, of its close enough there may not be much of a difference in getting 3 phase over an upgraded single phase

They go as far as the meter, not the transformer. I got it done last summer. Had paid for it the previous December I think. It depends on how busy they are in the area. Each crew has a fair big area to cover

They go as far as the meter, not the transformer. I got it done last summer. Had paid for it the previous December I think. It depends on how busy they are in the area. Each crew has a fair big area to cover

You're correct twas the ducting for the cable from the pole to the meter we put in

Ordered ration Wednesday morning and nothing arrived yet. Normally 48 hour turn around and not a good weekend to be out of ration😀

Ordered ration Wednesday morning and nothing arrived yet. Normally 48 hour turn around and not a good weekend to be out of ration😀

Did you ring the rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not what I wanted to hear

• Advertisement

About three months waiting from payment date as well here

There was supposed to be a timeframe but the head of the team to carry out the work couldn't commit to that. I rang and texted him everyday for a week at the beginning of March to get an exact date. April fools day was the date I got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

kevthegaff wrote: »
    cow slipped and teat hanging off, whats the best procedure?
    Cut it off, and milk away on three is the standard option, but she'll most probably get mastitis in it though, and that will go on and on, and what's going to happen eventually anyway?
    I kept one through all that as she was a great cow, dried up the quarter milked away fine this year until the quarter broke out into another one kast month and nearly did for her. She's for the chop now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st of October tomorrow! I'm here still topping fields at the min, and haven't thought once about closing up paddocks for the winter! You couldn't ask for a better year weather wise than we have got here.

Timmaay wrote: »
    1st of October tomorrow! I'm here still topping fields at the min, and haven't thought once about closing up paddocks for the winter! You couldn't ask for a better year weather wise than we have got here.

This rain doesn't ease off this week it'll turn to a bit of a disaster tbh. High covers and not able to graze em

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    This rain doesn't ease off this week it'll turn to a bit of a disaster tbh. High covers and not able to graze em

Getting wet here too but ground conditions a non issue .....for now .took different approach to autumn covers here last 2 years gone away from tegasc advise of there target covers etc which I feel are too high especially in a wet back end ,grazing 16/1800 cover max ,even with small buffer in no issue with clean outs and growth rates remaining high .with high covers both clean outs and regrowths would suffer

Did you ring the rep?

Rang on Saturday and he rang the mill and nobody there to answer the phone. I'm waiting now to find out what happened because if I order from elsewhere, the two will arrive in the yard together:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

Think a lot of people underestimate heavy covers. An actual 2000 cover on 29/30 day rotation back will not have much stem, certainly not yellow. Good clean out, great regrowth.

Pass this cover or rotation and have any hint of the yellow stem, your in the mess place...

Last rotation can be extended for as long as you want..this is the time to use your buffer extender..

Mahoneys Method grows more and utilises and completely outperforms next Spring..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I haven't seen a cover over 1400 in about 3months here, it's been a tightrope with supply barely matching demand. Although I have cut back on nitrogen use also (simply no need for the extra grass or silage), all this has pushed out the rotation the last 2 rounds, and why I need to top right now. At least I get to make these decisions though, and not like either last summer (no grass), or pure wet back ends when ground conditions dictate everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Getting very wet here, 30day rotation here. Silage could be introduced today and used to extend final rotation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement