Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭visatorro

Will the keenan take a bale?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Will the tyre be able to push in half a bale iykwim?

Iv no feed trough here at all, nothing against them just never had one.

I'd be using the tyre to push in the stuff from the feeder wagon. Digger could push in bales. As it is we have to feed twice a day , so new shed should be once a day. This will be a game changer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Used the brackets of the old shear grab to make up one for here for the loader. Just a blade at an angle, drive along and the silage gets pushed on to the side. If you want something that can go on the loader without having to take off the grab I think some lads make those tyre ones so the grab can pick them up.

Will the keenan take a bale?

Wont be putting bales in it. Plan is to have milkers on one side of the shed getting feeder silage. Drys on other side getting baled silage.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will the tyre be able to push in half a bale iykwim?

Iv no feed trough here at all, nothing against them just never had one.

I'd be using the tyre to push in the stuff from the feeder wagon. Digger could push in bales. As it is we have to feed twice a day , so new shed should be once a day. This will be a game changer

Have to feed milkers twice here, it's a pain alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Am thinking of not putting feed troughs in my new shed. Would put a silage pusher-assume a tyre one- on my 35. This will mean I can feed bales or with feeder. Is this workable or are there other options for pushing in the silage?

My 4512 struggles to push in silage in the evening and she would be pretty much the same as a 135.

I have a tire and prong bracket for pushing in the silage and it puts a lot of pressure on the prong at that side. I'm thinking of putting a wider bracket in to distribute the weight across the grab or making an angled slide to push it in?

With oh away a good bit , it will take agood bit of pressure off me. Just need to get shed done now. Steel is up, walls going in this week . Nearly every person I meet asks me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭straight

With oh away a good bit , it will take agood bit of pressure off me. Just need to get shed done now. Steel is up, walls going in this week . Nearly every person I meet asks me about it.

Nobody around this part of the country has feed troughs.

straight wrote: »
    In my old shed I was the one to have to fork them out , wasnt so bad whe I was younger but now I dont need to be doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Post up pics when your finished!

• Advertisement

In my old shed I was the one to have to fork them out , wasnt so bad whe I was younger but now I dont need to be doing that

At least without feed troughs you can clean away waste with loader of tractor. It might be a pain pushing in silage but you'll save the back anyway!

Will feed be covered?

At least without feed troughs you can clean away waste with loader of tractor. It might be a pain pushing in silage but you'll save the back anyway!

Will feed be covered?
    yes, will take a photo tomorrow of what's done, 10 bay shed, slatted tank at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We got precast concrete blocks here last year, one block per bay and you slot timbers in between to make a trough.
    You'd put them together and take apart in a few hours.
    Might be an option for you whelan.

We've pit silage here for the drys and then bales and maize for when they're milking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We got precast concrete blocks here last year, one block per bay and you slot timbers in between to make a trough.
    You'd put them together and take apart in a few hours.
    Might be an option for you whelan.

We've pit silage here for the drys and then bales and maize for when they're milking

https://www.mcgrathquarries.com/?product_items=concrete-feeder-blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Have you decided on cubicles? Did you see the new Condon rubber cubicles. Saw them at the ploughing and they looked a good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Sorry made a mess of the quote there! In reply to Whelan

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Have you decided on cubicles? Did you see the new Condon rubber cubicles. Saw them at the ploughing and they looked a good product.
    Ye going with Condons steel ones. Better the devil you know. Dont know about the lifespan of the rubber ones and they are more expensive afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ye going with Condons steel ones. Better the devil you know. Dont know about the lifespan of the rubber ones and they are more expensive afaik

what you doing for mats??? the roll out mat by Condons?

what you doing for mats??? the roll out mat by Condons?

Yes roll out mats the cheaper of the two types condons have

Progress so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Progress so far

When do you expect to move the cows in?

Well wear, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭straight

Progress so far

Big shed. I'm afraid I'm only in the ha'penney place. Where u going to store all the slurry

Big shed. I'm afraid I'm only in the ha'penney place. Where u going to store all the slurry

There's a new tank at the end , this will hold a out a weeks slurry and then it will flow to my existing slurry tower. The fall is good so hopefully wont need to pump it

When do you expect to move the cows in?

Well wear, btw.

Thanks, hoping to be in an a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

5/6/17 NPK per 1000 gallons
    Will be applied at 3000 per acre
    Great stuff almost stirred

Edit: should read 5/3/17

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Progress so far

Bloody hell Whelan!

Glanbia ''ll be dropping your milk price 3 cents a litre next month after seeing that..:D

Some job in fairness and some commitment to dairy farming.
    Well it may ware.

Bloody hell Whelan!

Glanbia ''ll be dropping your milk price 3 cents a litre next month after seeing that..:D

Some job in fairness and some commitment to dairy farming.
    Well it may ware.
    Thanks, will be a milking parlour going in the near side of it hopefully in a few years, will be great to have everything under 1 roof

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

5/6/17 NPK per 1000 gallons
    Will be applied at 3000 per acre
    Great stuff almost stirred

As long as the weather plays ball now..
    Do you mind me asking where you got that tested?
    IAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

As long as the weather plays ball now..
    Do you mind me asking where you got that tested?
    IAS?

IAS

Lucky here as weather not really a factor unless it becomes monsoon. Will be injected in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@ Keepgrowing, do you mind me asking what type of whisk you are using and how long is it. We will have to replace our old Abbey as someone borrowed it last year and damaged the gearbox. I wondering how much a new/second hand one will be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement