Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

cosatron wrote: »
    I think the established lads should be able to ride it out, but I would fear for the lads that are heavily borrowed
    I was at a farm walk during the week of a family farming on 100% rented land. Family are very sharp operators, not afraid of getting stuck in, and didn't go mad spending money on anything flashy. They still ended up dropping 3.5k/cow setting the place up (and it was a dairy farm previously) and the total costs before any labour was over 30c/l last year. I'm not sure I'd have the balls to go down that road

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I have afew acres sprayed off, read for a reseed, only problem is the ground is absolutely rock hard. Would I get away with direct drilling the seed, or am I better off 2 runs of a disc harrow and sow on the 3rd run?

1 run of disc harrow and then a run of powerharrow should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

I was at a farm walk during the week of a family farming on 100% rented land. Family are very sharp operators, not afraid of getting stuck in, and didn't go mad spending money on anything flashy. They still ended up dropping 3.5k/cow setting the place up (and it was a dairy farm previously) and the total costs before any labour was over 30c/l last year. I'm not sure I'd have the balls to go down that road

By referring to costs as "total costs", does that mean that the family have to take their remuneration and pay down the 3500€ investment, out of what was left over between between output and 30c?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I wouldn't be too happy with the Bord Bia carry on facilitating the beef factories and I'm going putting in a complaint on Monday to our processor about this so called Origin Green/Orange. I think it's corrupt and shameful and brings the already questionable whole QA into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

alps wrote: »
    By referring to costs as "total costs", does that mean that the family have to take their remuneration and pay down the 3500€ investment, out of what was left over between between output and 30c?
    Total costs was from the pm. Fixed+variable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Their on a different f**king planet when they still aren’t including capital repayments in pm calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Their on a different f**king planet when they still aren’t including capital repayments in pm calculations

TEAGASC are some shower of dum fuks ,any body paying them a fee for advice sure as hell are getting more profit anyways!!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    TEAGASC are some shower of dum fuks ,any body paying them a fee for advice sure as hell are getting more profit anyways!!!

Not taking account in expanding herds which can’t avail of stock relief when publishing profit after fixed/variable costs excluding labour is another massive emission, if the herd in question jumps from say 200 to 250 cows in a year and stock valuations at year end increase 75000 this is treated as profit when working out tax liabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭straight

Labour @ 8c per litre. That works out at 5 euro per hour for me. The job I gave up to go farming was paying me 25 euro per hour and I stayed in bed every Sunday morning along with the rest of the country. The farming disease is a bad one. Wonder how much the teagasc advisers, bord bia inspectors, etc are on per hour with pensions, prsi, etc. Paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Ah I'd say we'll have a soft landing.

Haha...theres a phrase from the past..to imagine that there are guys going unto cows now that were too young to have known what was meant by it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

alps wrote: »
    Haha...theres a phrase from the past..to imagine that there are guys going unto cows now that were too young to have known what was meant by it..

Underborrowed and leaveraging against assets were two favourites of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

What are people giving autumn calvers mineral wise? . They will be outside for another month then back to yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    What are people giving autumn calvers mineral wise? . They will be outside for another month then back to yard.

Just bucket pre calver minerals. Had one case of milk fever so far out of 15 calves. But she had twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Pm= Willy waving ball of false info ****e

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Pm= Willy waving ball of false info ****e

Even with all the missing info a cost of production of 30 cent a litre before labour/tax/capital repayments should be ringing alarm bells as to what milk price these 2nd units and expanded herds need to remain viable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭visatorro

Where do you buy them?

visatorro wrote: »
    Where do you buy them?

The mineral buckets? Got them from glanbia, got them delivered. just pre calver buckets. Got ones a few weeks ago from another crowd and they lasted no time. Byrne livestock feed ones, waste of money. Too much molasses in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Afc around 700, pgcs 1000. The pasturebase lads won't be impressed with my autumn wedge lol. This 3mm of misty rain this evening won't be enough, I may go in heavy with the bales for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Timmaay wrote: »
    Afc around 700, pgcs 1000. The pasturebase lads won't be impressed with my autumn wedge lol. This 3mm of misty rain this evening won't be enough, I may go in heavy with the bales for a week or so.

Did you get much rain the last few weeks, timmay? AFC here at 1100 and gone back into paddocks grazed 18 days ago at 1500. Have to go into a paddock at 1700+ after that and then into aftergrass currently at 1200.

I should be taking out bales, tbh:o

Rained here all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Almost zero rain in Sept Buford, and nothing really due on Yr for the next 2wks, if there was rain due I'd ride it out and let the afc drop more knowing I'd get a reasonable bounce immediately afterwards, but if that takes 2wks then I'll of dropped the afc to nothing and won't have any regrowth rest the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Afc 887 here, cover/lu 351 tho, pgc 15 -1600

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Good bit of grass here for Sept.

Laid a few meters of concrete today. This yoke is the dogs dangly bits for concrete. Connected to the tractor hydraulics, vibrates and levels and leaves a great finish. 14 foot from side to side, job is made simple.
    MgzC0bD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Laid a few meters of concrete today. This yoke is the dogs dangly bits for concrete. Connected to the tractor hydraulics, vibrates and levels and leaves a great finish. 14 foot from side to side, job is made simple.
    MgzC0bD.jpg

where did that yoke come from??

cute geoge wrote: »
    where did that yoke come from??

A local man has it, he's flat out using it. He's in the other half of your parish, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I just have seen the new campaign from agricultural solicitors ie. I saw it bandied about somewhere last week and thought it was a kinda questionable approach but might be worth a go.
    It's a shocking sham to be honest, a photoshopped image of a Fr calf in a field of cows! "... my mom is a working mom".
    Talk about looking for trouble, it reminds me of an old saying, "there's three things can't be hidden for long, the sun , the moon, and the truth".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I just have seen the new campaign from agricultural solicitors ie. I saw it bandied about somewhere last week and thought it was a kinda questionable approach but might be worth a go.
    It's a shocking sham to be honest, a photoshopped image of a Fr calf in a field of cows! "... my mom is a working mom".
    Talk about looking for trouble, it reminds me of an old saying, "there's three things can't be hidden for long, the sun , the moon, and the truth".

that 'campaign' has been launched by Aisling Meehan the agri solicitor in Clare and the 'stay at home mom' and 'working mom' phrases are not hers but that farmer in Cork Peter Hynes used em at some open day or other and Aisling has decided to borrow them for her campaign to do what exactly im not sure....

shes doing well out of the farming community anyway as she bought a great big house and 65 acres for 1.3million this time last yr.... tis good to see someone making a few bob out of the oul farming and i suppose mayb this is her way of giving something back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

that 'campaign' has been launched by Aisling Meehan the agri solicitor in Clare and the 'stay at home mom' and 'working mom' phrases are not hers but that farmer in Cork Peter Hynes used em at some open day or other and Aisling has decided to borrow them for her campaign to do what exactly im not sure....

shes doing well out of the farming community anyway as she bought a great big house and 65 acres for 1.3million this time last yr.... tis good to see someone making a few bob out of the oul farming and i suppose mayb this is her way of giving something back

The Meehan family have always been entrepreneurs in their own right. As well as successful dairy farmers have many sidelines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement