Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BUY on Adverts, SELL on Done Deal is the right way to do it

Surely, it very much depends on what you're selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Surely, it very much depends on what you're selling?

Whatever you are selling if you want anything near the price you want there is no point in selling on Adverts.

Whatever you are selling if you want anything near the price you want there is no point in selling on Adverts.

Why so?

Why so?

Read the thread to see people’s experience trying to sell on Adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I love Adverts and sell stuff on it weekly, the feedback system really weeds out the wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

With 1000,s of people using a site there,ll be some bad or dubious sellers,
    thats why you can give negative or positive rating and comment
    after you buy something.
    you can put in the ad, cash only,
    no trade ins. if you want.

Read the thread to see people’s experience trying to sell on Adverts

You made a sweeping generalisation and can't back it up.

I forgot to say that I have been reading the thread since it started back in 2016 and my first post in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99295624&postcount=230 was in April that year so I don't need re-read it thank you.

You made a sweeping generalisation and can't back it up.

I forgot to say that I have been reading the thread since it started back in 2016 and my first post in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99295624&postcount=230 was in April that year so I don't need re-read it thank you.

Do you work for Adverts or something? :confused: Calm down

Are you a Mod now? First it's "read the thread" and now "calm down". :rolleyes:

I only meant read the thread to answer your question "why so?"

What do you want from me that a four year old thread with over 900 posts hasn't provided you with?
    If you aren't convinced by peoples experiences by now you never will be.

• Advertisement

I only meant read the thread to answer your question "why so?"

What do you want from me that a four year old thread with over 900 posts hasn't provided you with?
    If you aren't convinced by peoples experiences by now you never will be.

Because, according to the thread people's experiences vary wildly and many recommend Adverts which you clearly do not. Anyway, I'm out, you win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

Are bikes worth much 2nd hand these days with the bike to work schemes?

I was thinking similar.
    The bike to work scheme effectively halves the value of a bike . Then on top of that its a second hand bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Loads buying game consoles then immediately reselling them by splitting the bundle they've just bought not even hiding the fact try and report these ads and you will get repremanded yourself, cowboys ted

What's the issue with doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They buy for €200 split and resell for €250

Sounds like good business..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the issue with doing that?

Must admit I've done that once. Wanted a ps2 and saw a cheap bundle, didn't want the games so sold them off at next to nothing. At least someone got use out of the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod
    No he's not, but I am.

Cut out the petty sniping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Have to say I love adverts.ie.

The banter is great... and there are what I can only presume are semi professional chancers there who pounce on what they assume are newbie advertisers with stupid low ball offers... and the put downs can be really entertaining ��

eg. (I'm paraphrasing here from adverts from memory)

Advertiser : Ford Focus, price €10,000
    Chancer : Would you take €7000 cash.
    Advertiser : Yeah, I'll accept your offer if you up it a little
    Chancer : by how much?
    Advertiser : by another €3000 !!

or

Chancer : Would you take €7000 cash.
    Advertiser : No. But €10000 worth of magic beans and you'll be in the ball park.

or

Chancer : Would you take €7000, a PS-2, a shiny tracksuit and two tickets to Aslan in the Red Cow.
    Advertiser : could you make it 4 tickets to Aslan ?

Have to say, I have been veering away from my pro-Adverts stance earlier in this thread - it's probably due to the lock-down but I have had an increasing amount of time wasters recently. People making offers, getting my PayPal details and still not following through with purchases. My blocked users list is growing.

Have to say, I have been veering away from my pro-Adverts stance earlier in this thread - it's probably due to the lock-down but I have had an increasing amount of time wasters recently. People making offers, getting my PayPal details and still not following through with purchases. My blocked users list is growing.

OP here

It's 4 years since my first frustrated post

Doing some spring cleaning again on adverts helped by the lockdown and my parents downsizing

It's hit and miss, some buyers not reading I will post the item only, not reading exactly what's on sale

Though I've had a few flawless transactions with payment in less than 10 mins

I try not to give out my mobile as I sold a dvd player and the guy has been on to me about it since (working fine just general questions)

Price your items a little higher than what they're worth as it allows people to make reasonable offers. Patience is key

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Ekerot

eBay is superior, I've never had a problem buying or selling on it really.
    Searching on adverts is a pain, I can't think of specifics but eBay is just so easier to use, it's clicks with me in a way adverts doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I always offer to my friends and fellow members before I even think of offering t online.Most times they buy it.Any time I post it online you get the muppets low balling you or offering their ****ty car,bike,etc as trade in.feck that.

Ekerot wrote: »
    eBay is superior, I've never had a problem buying or selling on it really.
    Searching on adverts is a pain, I can't think of specifics but eBay is just so easier to use, it's clicks with me in a way adverts doesn't.

eBay is painful to sell on these days but has the global reach that none of the other sites can match - however with confusing fee structures and glitchy systems it has become a difficult place for the small trader to make money in my experience. I mainly buy on eBay these days with a the occasional sale that I know won't move on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Adverts is not perfect but it is better than eBay when selling in my experience.

- You need to use eBay.co.uk as you won’t sell it n Ireland
    - For eBay.co.uk postage costs mean it is difficult to compete with a seller with the same item in the UK
    - You are paying ~14% fees on eBay (incl. PayPal)
    - The eBay non payment process is a pain. They doubled the wait times without any notification (as staff WFH). I had a guy who ‘bought’ a high value item, he didn’t respond to mails etc. Took a few weeks to resolve and get the fees cancelled so I could relist the item. On adverts you would wait a few days and cancel if no response, and you can easily choose to refuse an offer if the person has no feedback or negative feedback etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

It's hit and miss, some buyers not reading I will post the item only

This, people don't read the ads at all. I have it marked in every ad I post, that it's via post only, and payment is via bank transfer or cash (ie postal order) only, yet I still get "I nly liv dwn d road, ill colectt". You don't, and as per the ad, no you won't. The real joy is when they make offers, after I specifically stipulate it's post only, 'but I'd rather collect, I want to do that instead'. Then why did you make an offer on an ad where I've deliberately unticked collection/delivery as options?

I don't understand why Adverts won't allow sellers who only want to send items via post to hide their location/list it as 'unknown'. Look, I've had many successful transactions on the site, but it's doesn't take away from how frustrating it is to have the same conversation over and over again. If I didn't have to show my location, I think it would reduce that a lot.

This, people don't read the ads at all. I have it marked in every ad I post, that it's via post only, and payment is via bank transfer or cash (ie postal order) only, yet I still get "I nly liv dwn d road, ill colectt". You don't, and as per the ad, no you won't. The real joy is when they make offers, after I specifically stipulate it's post only, 'but I'd rather collect, I want to do that instead'. Then why did you make an offer on an ad where I've deliberately unticked collection/delivery as options?

I don't understand why Adverts won't allow sellers who only want to send items via post to hide their location/list it as 'unknown'. Look, I've had many successful transactions on the site, but it's doesn't take away from how frustrating it is to have the same conversation over and over again. If I didn't have to show my location, I think it would reduce that a lot.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the issue with meeting someone to collect/ deliver an item, if they are nearby or willing to travel, in a public place?

Tbh, someone saying 'bank transfer only' and unwilling to meet to exchange an item under any circumstances, would be a bit of a red flag.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the issue with meeting someone to collect/ deliver an item, if they are nearby or willing to travel, in a public place?

Tbh, someone saying 'bank transfer only' and unwilling to meet to exchange an item under any circumstances, would be a bit of a red flag.

I'm wary of giving anyone my house address tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I forgot to include PayPal too as an accepted method of payment.

I have quite bad social anxiety. I can deal with being in a post office/shop but I find it extremely difficult and stressful to have to meet people I don't know, even if only briefly. I just feel very uncomfortable with it, and I always clearly state it's via post only. If people are uncomfortable with that/my accepted methods of payment, then that's okay - they can just not make an offer, then, yet they still do.

I forgot to include PayPal too as an accepted method of payment.

I have quite bad social anxiety. I can deal with being in a post office/shop but I find it extremely difficult and stressful to have to meet people I don't know, even if only briefly. I just feel very uncomfortable with it, and I always clearly state it's via post only. If people are uncomfortable with that/my accepted methods of payment, then that's okay - they can just not make an offer, then, yet they still do.

Yeah me too, hate taking money off people in person it's just awkward. That said I travelled 50 miles to get a Sega mega drive off adverts a while back.

Prefer PayPal and post its hassle free instead of being tied down to a time to meet someone. Unless it's a bulky item I've no choice

I don't get the arkward amounts. "Sell for 88 euro" and insiston giving you the change. Just call it 90 ffs!

Or the wrong locations. The reason I made an offer was because to claimed to be in my area so easy collection. I don't want to drive 40km or I would have included other counties in my search thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I'm wary of giving anyone my house address tbh

Why not arrange to meet the person? Somewhere local, but not your home.
    Have done this a number of times when selling items on Adverts.

It saves all the hassle of posting items. The An Post fees are quite expensive and will put a lot of buyers "off" in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Why not arrange to meet the person? Somewhere local, but not your home.
    Have done this a number of times when selling items on Adverts.

It saves all the hassle of posting items. The An Post fees are quite expensive and will put a lot of buyers "off" in my experience.

Just use parcel motel. It's slower, but their delivery charges are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

think its important to do proper thorough vetting of who you're dealing with before agreeing a sale. not just feedback, check their comment history to see if they're typically lowballing or being arseholey in their replies to other ads,.might be a indicator of how they might be in person should you meet, especially if they're collecting from your address. namecalling/abuse to me is a red flag.

ive had people offer full price then haggle in person. item had no damage, nothing he wasnt told about. dont know how i feel about that carry on. i let him off a fiver less in the end. anyone had same?

Robsweezie wrote: »
    think its important to do proper thorough vetting of who you're dealing with before agreeing a sale. not just feedback, check their comment history to see if they're typically lowballing or being arseholey in their replies to other ads,.might be a indicator of how they might be in person should you meet, especially if they're collecting from your address. namecalling/abuse to me is a red flag.

ive had people offer full price then haggle in person. item had no damage, nothing he wasnt told about. dont know how i feel about that carry on. i let him off a fiver less in the end. anyone had same?

I show them the door. Don't have time for such time wasters. Most will buy then for agreed price. At that time they are already invested - they had spent their effort and time - so are very unlikely to walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I meet them outside our 24 hr Garda Station.
    One or 2 declined once they saw the venue.
    I don't let anyone come near the house.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I love adverts. If you give it some attention, it'll love you back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

It is not adverts that is the issue, it is the assholes using it.

Yesterday,
    can I come and get,

OK, here is the eircode, home in half an hour.

Then nothing.

Two days ago, different item:

Item for sale, collect Tallaght
    "Ever in Finglas"

So fecking what, it is collect in Tallaght.

Yesterday,
    can I come and get,

OK, here is the eircode, home in half an hour.

Then nothing.

Two days ago, different item:

Item for sale, collect Tallaght
    "Ever in Finglas"

So fecking what, it is collect in Tallaght.

Just switch on the ignore mode. Idiots are not worth your nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Only ever had two people haggle when meeting, both travellers funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I had a guy with multiple negative feedback (time wasting etc), I politely turned down his asking price offer because of it. He waited until later that night (after midnight) and commented on every one of my items saying it was fake. The comments were removed once I reported them the next morning. I blocked him but I hope he was banned, should have been.

Only ever had two people haggle when meeting, both travellers funnily enough.

That's why I shy away from giving my address and number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Never had anyone agree a price and then haggle upon arrival,if an item is as described and they tried to haggle I would run them. I did sell a mini drum shaped BBQ on Adverts a few years back, it was very small, it barely fitted two steaks at a time. So I was careful describing it as 'mini' and put up all measurements in cm and took a photo of it with a beer can beside it for perspective. Yet yer man still shows up moaning that 'its very small' as if I was trying to do him. He paid begrudgingly as if I was in the wrong when it was him who didnt read the ad properly.

Thats just the size of it really. The same assholes also exist on Donedeal too. Only difference is on Adverts theyre being an asshole by typing text publically for all to see whereas on DoneDeal its done in private or on the telephone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Really bugs me when people just watch your ad waiting for the first bid to come in....just make your first awful adverts.ie offer of half the price, get declined and negotiate to 10 or 20 euro off!

I've a tonne of decent items up on adverts at the moment, plenty of watchers but no activity in relation to offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Really bugs me when people just watch your ad waiting for the first bid to come in....just make your first awful adverts.ie offer of half the price, get declined and negotiate to 10 or 20 euro off!

I know I'd often see something and not want to pull the trigger, so put the ad on the watchlist if i still want it later

Ditto for when I'm looking at various ads to see which gives the best deals, I'd forget then to unwatch the ones I don't make an offer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Feisar

Item for sale for €250, reasonable price I thought. Ad up for a while so some lad offers to take it away for me. Nah, I'll smash it up for firewood instead, thanks.

First they came for the socialists...

Feisar wrote: »
    Item for sale for €250, reasonable price I thought. Ad up for a while so some lad offers to take it away for me. Nah, I'll smash it up for firewood instead, thanks.

Pic?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Never had anyone agree a price and then haggle upon arrival,if an item is as described and they tried to haggle I would run them. I did sell a mini drum shaped BBQ on Adverts a few years back, it was very small, it barely fitted two steaks at a time. So I was careful describing it as 'mini' and put up all measurements in cm and took a photo of it with a beer can beside it for perspective. Yet yer man still shows up moaning that 'its very small' as if I was trying to do him. He paid begrudgingly as if I was in the wrong when it was him who didnt read the ad properly.

Reminds me of the time I was selling some dumbbells ,
    I think the were 5kg and 10kgs or something .
    I drop them up the lad as he was down the road and he said
    "ah jesus,I thought they were going to be heavier "
    I didnt give him the chance to back out .

Swap for my ad's and cash my way lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

I guess it wasnt a car then.

Could we see the advert ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Have a few old phones for sale that my parents wanted rid of, had some clown keep lowballing on one of them, eventually got to an agreed price if I wiped and unlocked the phone, which I did. After that, he decided to offer less again, and keeps posting every few days saying his offer still stands.
    I've made a point of it now that I will sell to anyone else at what he's offering, and will just keep ignoring him. Such fcukaboutery over a 4yr old phone for €40

• Advertisement
Advertisement