Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Sold a second Argos toaster earlier for €3, had to drive 15 miles to meet buyer but happy with the sale. Good to know there are genuine buyers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Sold a second Argos toaster earlier for €3, had to drive 15 miles to meet buyer but happy with the sale. Good to know there are genuine buyers out there.

Some profit there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Surely you lost money there with the petrol/diesel :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Proving that it isn't just Adverts buyers that are idiots. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ah lad that's a bit much leaving feedback for that. I can place an offer on 10 ads right now for the same product and I promise you only one will get back to me. The rest have either been sold without being taken off or the user hasn't been online since posting the ad. All the while I'm waiting to hear back about the one ad I placed an offer on several more who would actually respond have sold their items.

Couldn't agree more. But what I do is ask will they accept X amount instead of making offers as nothing is set in stone then.

Seems fairly common for people to put up and ad and never login again..whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Langerous

Will you swap for something in my ads, no I have no use for a sticky photo of Madonna , I will however swap for cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Stolen from another thread..... But oh so apt and amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

http://www.adverts.ie/sports/dubai-irish-open-tickets/12187855

@mark.delaney.52 you sad little cork Langer boy. Wrecking me add. Just cause I have tickets and you dont ��

ADVERT NOW WITHDRAWN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

ryaner777 wrote: »

You're selling 2 x Irish Open tickets for €1,000 & this is the sales pitch?
    There is no value for the tickets cause you can't buy them. I received them as a gift. So I'm selling them. Thanks for looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jones

Please tell me this is a joke? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You're selling 2 x Irish Open tickets for €1,000 & this is the sales pitch?

I wondered about that. But then they state it is an auction. But no end date for the auction...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    People are incredibly stupid. Don't blame ignorance.....some people are just stupid.

Frequently see Rolex watches or similar advertised for 200-1000 euro. Obviously fake and people asking "is it real" or better still if the watch is up for 1000 euro (would be 4000 if it was real) and a stupid buyer puts in offer "600 if real and meet me in jewellers to confirm"

Sure mate. Seller is already selling for 25 % of market value. Of course it's real. And if it's real he will definitely accept your offer of 15% of market value.

Also it's amazing how many people don't bother to read comments that are already on the add.

http://www.adverts.ie/12189028

Exhibit A.

Of course the 5k watch for 100 is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

The **** leaving negative feedback over nothing usually have horrendous feedback themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Del.Monte wrote:
    Proving that it isn't just Adverts buyers that are idiots.

I think he's just kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Robsweezie wrote: »
    The **** leaving negative feedback over nothing usually have horrendous feedback themselves.

Adverts is worse to leave these clowns as users, surely if you have more than one negative for every five positives drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Adverts is worse to leave these clowns as users, surely if you have more than one negative for every five positives drop them.

but sure they couldn't be doing that, reduce the size of the userbase and the potential income from those users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

eamonnq wrote: »
    but sure they couldn't be doing that, reduce the size of the userbase and the potential income from those users.

most users just withdraw the item anyhow when sold to avoid paying the fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Ive noticed a trend of buyers making offers of giving the same price as they would pay on fasttech,as if it's some incentive to sellers to drop they're price! Go fcuk right off and get it off fasttech! Suffer the long wait and chances of customs stopping it coming through! Some chancers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Ive noticed a trend of buyers making offers of giving the same price as they would pay on fasttech,as if it's some incentive to sellers to drop they're price! Go fcuk right off and get it off fasttech! Suffer the long wait and chances of customs stopping it coming through! Some chancers!

I'll add to this,selling on adverts has made me realise one thing! Irish people are the most meanest miserable race I've ever come across! Mean as cat sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Fasttech is a sister company of gearbest. Both ****ty sites.
    That is irrelevant though. I would say that some of the potential buyers may know more reputable sites and may be offering the expected landed in Europe Price.
    (I do not buy from Adverts, so i do not know if that is correct or not.).
    But i would like to point out, since the Chinese sites started trending and more sites and stores started popping up, the prices for items have shot up. The prices on those sites specifically would be closer to prices here after they have been handed to third party.
    The sellers were their own worst enemy by bulk buying without looking into it.
    Very often it is cheaper to buy from amazon (even fulfilled by them) or ebay, than it is on many of the Chinese sites. (which many were students on Aliexpress which imo is one of the most expensive now unless you dig deep.).

Name a product for sale.
    Point at it on Fasttech or any of the larger Chinese sites, and i bet you can get it cheaper from Amazon or a few other sites with no risk of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Mean as cat sh!te

My dad says this, I've never come across it anywhere else til now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Asking price is 40 euro whatever
    Stupid user '15 EURO CASH TODAY'

What does that mean, cash today? How else would you be paying me, in magic beans? Most people aren't so desperate they'll take less than 50% of the asking price just to get CASH TODAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

what is the specs is another, as if google has gone behind a paywall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

flutered wrote: »

You can include the specs in your ad, clearly specify no swaps & make plain as day the fact that you won't be driving 400kms to deliver to their Mammy's house, but some users appear impervious to common sense & should probably be hunted down as meat for sled dogs in the Arctic tundra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If a user is trying to offload an item, the least they should do is include as much detail as possible, if for no other reason than to stop time wasting unnecessary follow up questions.

Why should a perspective buyer have to chase down the Specs on an item you are hoping to sell?

In some instances the sellers are the creators of the grief they get.

Why do sellers go to the bother of stating for example, that the PC has an Intel Processor but fail to say which Intel Processor it is? 99% of the time it's because it has a low crappy Intel Processor, right? Those with higher end processors will almost always state i5 or i7 and even the generation.

Another beauty is the sellers omission to include the country layout of the keyboard on the laptop they are selling, why? because a great percentage of the time the keyboard layout is not English UK.

In both the above scenarios the seller is being nothing short of disingenuous, probably hoping to make the sale at any cost and then say to the buyer "You never asked" when they come back to complain.

My rule of thumb when looking at any item for sale on Adverts is, it's not what's said in the description, but what's not said that I tend to focus on.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Why would you not include specs in your ad? Give as much info as possible. More likely to attract a buyer and less chance of moaning and negative feedback afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I think its people seeing what they can truly get away with asking, like I was selling a drum kit for 1000e and someone offered "350e cash, can collect today". 35pc of my asking price, fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

stimpson wrote: »
    Why would you not include specs in your ad? Give as much info as possible. More likely to attract a buyer and less chance of moaning and negative feedback afterwards.

Of course sellers should include not only the Specs but as much relevant information too. Any that don't are either too lazy or have something to hide.

Take the example of a computer, the Dell OptiPlex is a typical example whereby there can be a whole range of the same number model with totally different Specs and even form factors. What good is Google in a case like that?

Or, what about a particular computer model that the seller has upgraded components such as RAM. CPU, GPU, HDD etc? or even worse, downgraded some components? Will Google tell you that?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Make sure of course not to be too obvious of your identity if you're selling stuff on adverts.ie and in receipt of a job seeker's payment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Make sure of course not to be too obvious of your identity if you're selling stuff on adverts.ie and in receipt of a job seeker's payment

Righty, I'm sure Social Welfare spend a lot of time trawling Adverts looking for Welfare recipients. :rolleyes:

Advertisement