Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Kamili wrote: »
    that is just scary..
    no its the u.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

hmm this whole story doesn't add up, sorry. Did you contact him at all on the agreed collection day to see if he was showing up by PM?

1+1 = 2

Not sure if you have a problem adding up then, I received a PM after I accepted his offer. His offer read something like, offer 40 euro collect this evening (Friday!! :D )

December 2nd, 2016 - 12:13pm Text me address and phone number i will collect this evening

I replied by PM (within half an hour of receiving his PM) with my mobile number and address and requested that he contact me with an approximate time that he would be collecting it (on Friday evening!!)

I heard nothing from him for the rest of the day, or on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Did you pm him on Friday before he was due after he didn't contact you? You've gotten very defensive tbh and ignoring the actual question.

I suspect we ar not hearing the full story here.

Anyway I'm out. I'm sick of you repeatedly saying Friday Evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's like the Spanish inquisition here!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Sold a TV recently.. 32 inch TV brand new and your man even sees it turned on to verify it works etc all grand

Couple hours later I get negative feedback because I sold him a 19 inch TV in a 32" TV box

Says I to him how the fcuk did you measure 19 inches?

Says he the son measured it for me

His son measured the TV screen
    THE SCREEN
    Horizontally as well. Never mind that you're meant to measure diagonal.. Didn't even measure the bezel just the LCD panel. **** me some people. Why even measure the screen when you take it home? Surely if you're going to measure you'd do it on the spot.

Another gem was I had the same TV on donedeal and I had one chap offer me a car for it (I was only asking 200 like!) and another woman rang me just after it was sold - I said oh sorry that's just been sold this second, she ends the call by saying; "ah right okay. *whispers* fcuking idiot..." Cheeky bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Sold a TV recently.. 32 inch TV brand new and your man even sees it turned on to verify it works etc all grand

Couple hours later I get negative feedback because I sold him a 19 inch TV in a 32" TV box

Says I to him how the fcuk did you measure 19 inches?

Says he the son measured it for me

His son measured the TV screen
    THE SCREEN
    Horizontally as well. Never mind that you're meant to measure diagonal.. Didn't even measure the bezel just the LCD panel. **** me some people. Why even measure the screen when you take it home? Surely if you're going to measure you'd do it on the spot.

Another gem was I had the same TV on donedeal and I had one chap offer me a car for it (I was only asking 200 like!) and another woman rang me just after it was sold - I said oh sorry that's just been sold this second, she ends the call by saying; "ah right okay. *whispers* fcuking idiot..." Cheeky bitch!

A tv is measured diagonally, not including the bezel. Just the panel.

A tv is measured diagonally, not including the bezel. Just the panel.

The TV is measured diagonally from corner to corner, that includes bezel. If I measure my TV now just the panel it's 48" but 50" with the bezel. My TV was boxed and advertised as 50".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can this thread be locked until Friday afternoon?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The TV is measured diagonally from corner to corner, that includes bezel. If I measure my TV now just the panel it's 48" but 50" with the bezel. My TV was boxed and advertised as 50".

Tvs are sold by viewable screen size the bezel is not measured.

magentis wrote: »

The entire tv from corner to corner is measured to ascertain screen size... phones, laptops everything is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

I sell a lot of Gaming PC's on Adverts, these can be in the €600 to €900 range depending on specs of PC.

And I find that with high end items, deals are for the most part, easy and smooth,, ( a young PC Gamer needs a new rig and has saved up for it )

But I buy and sell a lot of small stuff as well,, I find the sub €50 stuff to be a mine field,, and if a seller has 3 or more NEGS,, I stay away.
    Why take a chance when there so many all green sellers to choose from..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

Screen size is what it is...
    Screen size!!!! If you buy a 50" tv the screen will measure a diagonal size of 50" the bezel has nothing to do with anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

What's the bezel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Shannon757 wrote: »
    What's the bezel?

The plastic bit around the edge of the screen I think

I thought everyone knew this!

Otherwise, I have a great new business idea. Online only, no returns, no refunds, you pays your money and you takes your chances. 42" @ 24" prices. You'd be mad (not) to Buy It Now! T&Cs apply.

Not your ornery onager

Right so I better go get a refund on every TV I ever bought.

Right so I better go get a refund on every TV I ever bought.

Keep us posted - or learn how to measure things. Remember, it looks smaller than it actually is when you're looking down at it.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

No offers, no time wasters, no lowballers, don't bother contacting if you are a time waster. Serious buyers only!!!!! Meaning don't ask any questions just buy it at a price that is more expensive than buying new online. Don't you dare offer €1 bellow the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Boater123 wrote: »
    I would have given him some negative feedback there and then, by wiping my shoes clean on his ar*e.

Least I didn't lose any money :cool:

Did you pm him on Friday before he was due after he didn't contact you? You've gotten very defensive tbh and ignoring the actual question.

I suspect we ar not hearing the full story here.

Anyway I'm out. I'm sick of you repeatedly saying Friday Evening.

It is fairly simple.

Guy offers to buy the item and collect on Friday evening.

I accept his offer because he will collect that evening (Friday).

He sends me a PM requesting my details (phone number and address for collection) and says again that he will collect that evening (Friday).

I sent him PM with the details as requested and ask him to advise roughly what time he will be collecting that evening (Friday).

I hear nothing more from him for the rest of that day (Friday).

I then decide not to deal with him, as he did not even contact me regarding collecting the item (on Friday evening).

I did not PM him further on the Friday, as as far as I am concerned he has my details and has committed to collecting on Friday evening, but he didn't.

Nothing more to it, just an indication of the waste of time that adverts can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

eamonnq wrote: »
    I accept his offer because he will collect that evening (Friday).
    Was this something you told him, or was it something you kept to yourself?

osarusan wrote: »
    Was this something you told him, or was it something you kept to yourself?

Good question actually, but he made the offer on the Friday, saying collect this evening, I accepted his offer and he sent a PM saying again that he would collect that evening.

I did not say on the thread that I was accepting his offer based on him collecting that evening though if that is what you mean.

When I heard nothing from him, I just put it down to wasted time and decided not to engage any further with him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

...just an indication of the waste of time that adverts can be.

Few weeks back I had an item listed on Done Deal and the guy asked me would I meet him. I agreed and he didn't show up. When I phoned him he said he had to go collect his kid in Naas. There was zero consequence for him doing that. At least on Adverts you can leave Feedback and at least you can tell from that Feedback if the user has done it before.

For me, the alternatives to Adverts have far more potential to be wastes of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I did not say on the thread that I was accepting his offer based on him collecting that evening though if that is what you mean.

Yeah he does sound like a timewaster, but while the Friday thing was a deal-breaker to you, he wouldn't have fully known that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Yeah he does sound like a timewaster, but while the Friday thing was a deal-breaker to you, he wouldn't have fully known that.

Only a moron wouldn't have fully known that .
    And frankly, he got what he deserved, nobody gives up their spare time to hang around all day for someone who is to inconsiderate to show or.ro explain why....Other than you gave me wrong numba! ...

The Friday thing was not really a deal-breaker, but the lack of contact kind of put me off, if he had called/texted to say he couldn't collect (on Friday evening!) that would have been fine, but having stated twice that he would collect Friday evening, I was expecting him to do so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depends.

For the OLD CRT's with the glass tube the OUTSIDE of the tube was measured, so you'd have 17" monitors with 15.1" viewable area and lots of punters arguing the toss despite TV's having been sold on the same basis since the 1930's

At the end of the day marketing people can be lying scum and if the literature doesn't specifically say viewable area then it may well be the size of the panel in which case you'd loose a few mm. Again remembering that marketing droids are lying scum there's usually a bit of rounding up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

Great thread. I had a few interesting encounters.

I was selling a phone and two bidders got into a bidding war with each other for the phone, continually outbidding each other and arguing over who should be allowed to buy the phone. It ended with one of the bidders accusing the other of being in cahoots with me to increase the bidding price. In the end neither bought the phone, both time wasters.

I had a cheap car for sale (~250 euro) and was inundated with "full time mad bastards" offering me straight swaps for stolen phones. One even had a photo of a burnt out car as his avatar.

Another guy made an offer including postage cost to be paid via paypal. I accepted the offer and sent my paypal details. He then disappeared and stopped responding to PMs and texts. I left a negative feedback and he suddenly appeared and started abusing me in the advert and left retaliatory feedback, very amusing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

conor2469 wrote: »
    Great thread. I had a few interesting encounters.

I was selling a phone and two bidders got into a bidding war with each other for the phone, continually outbidding each other and arguing over who should be allowed to buy the phone. It ended with one of the bidders accusing the other of being in cahoots with me to increase the bidding price. In the end neither bought the phone, both time wasters.

I had a cheap car for sale (~250 euro) and was inundated with "full time mad bastards" offering me straight swaps for stolen phones. One even had a photo of a burnt out car as his avatar.

Another guy made an offer including postage cost to be paid via paypal. I accepted the offer and sent my paypal details. He then disappeared and stopped responding to PMs and texts. I left a negative feedback and he suddenly appeared and started abusing me in the advert and left retaliatory feedback, very amusing!

Yes, that's typical of adverts time wasters.

Once you leave them negative feedback they'll suddenly respond saying how completely unfair you are and that they only saw your messages now because they were captured by a monkey or something, despite they being online!!

I actually find adverts.ie quite good once you deal only with users with good Positive feedback. There's some lost souls on donedeal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

people need to really fuucking STOP leaving lowball offers as comments to dodge the ''minimum offer'' setting.

Advertisement