Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Robsweezie wrote: »
    people need to really fuucking STOP leaving lowball offers as comments to dodge the ''minimum offer'' setting.

The mods probably need to enforce the rule about it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

people need to really fuucking STOP leaving lowball offers as comments to dodge the ''minimum offer'' setting.

"Lowball offers in the comments will be ignored"

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

The mods probably need to enforce the rule about it more.

The mods need to enforce all the rules more. It's the Wild West there half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Depends.

For the OLD CRT's with the glass tube the OUTSIDE of the tube was measured, so you'd have 17" monitors with 15.1" viewable area and lots of punters arguing the toss despite TV's having been sold on the same basis since the 1930's

At the end of the day marketing people can be lying scum and if the literature doesn't specifically say viewable area then it may well be the size of the panel in which case you'd loose a few mm. Again remembering that marketing droids are lying scum there's usually a bit of rounding up too.

Any tv or monitor available for purchase today is sold by viewable screen area.The actual bezel,frame or casing was never included.

magentis wrote: »
    Any tv or monitor available for purchase today is sold by viewable screen area.The actual bezel,frame or casing was never included.

So please enlighten me as to why the last 3 TVs I have bought 2 being 32inch and one 50inch do not measure 32 or 50 when measuring the screen only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

So please enlighten me as to why the last 3 TVs I have bought 2 being 32inch and one 50inch do not measure 32 or 50 when measuring the screen only?

You're persisting with this despite that a very quick google would throw up thousands of sites stating that TVs are measured diagonally excluding the bezel. I mean like common sense would of course dictate that the plastic (which varies on all TVs) is not included. It's absolutely bizarre, especially on a thread about stupid people on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

In fairness its a 2 way system on adverts.
    Just as an example I was looking for a phone recently and noticed it was reduced in the main phone retailers.
    Had a look on Adverts just to see if anything would catch my eye.
    Saw the same phone on sale for E30 more than in-store (or its pre-reduction price in-stores).
    You`re man had already been pulled up on it by a number of people but maintained the stores were selling a previous model of the phone and he was selling the latest one.
    He was wrong. He still hasn't reduced his price and is trying to sell a phone for E30 more than it is in store.

You're persisting with this despite that a very quick google would throw up thousands of sites stating that TVs are measured diagonally excluding the bezel. I mean like common sense would of course dictate that the plastic (which varies on all TVs) is not included. It's absolutely bizarre, especially on a thread about stupid people on adverts.

All them tv makers!What have they been thinking.There they are making bezels smaller as the years go by when all they need to do is get a 15" panel and surround it by a massive plastic case and they would have people queuing up to pay a fortune for them.

Are you including or excluding the plastic bit on the measuring tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

How to measure a TV

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-a-TV

Make sure the size on the boxes aren't drawn on with a marker :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I have to say , and boards are not paying me to say this but....

I have never ever ever had a problem on Adverts.ie. I think it's a fantastic idea and I really like the personal side of it.

I live in the country now but when I lived in Dublin It was brilliant. Maybe I was lucky I didn't meet any time-wasters or arseholes but I don't think adverts is a place where time-wasters or arseholes usually hang out.

I've sold 43 items on it thus far, way better than ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Collection only, 15 euro, no offers below.

"give ya a fiver if you're ever in Bahrain?"

I got some crappy lowball offer recently and found myself loudly yelling NO into the phone as I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

loyatemu wrote: »
    "Lowball offers in the comments will be ignored"

As will the sentence above.

That's fcukwits for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Have an ad up at the minute and this guy makes an enquiry. I told him that as the merch is in storage I would need advance notice to pick it up and told him to ring me so we can plan a meet. 5 mails later and he finally gets it that I want him to call me :rolleyes:

So he rings and once, no 3 times I told him that I needed to pick it up first and to name a time and place. He gives me three times that didn't suit and after he eventually realises that I actually do work daytimes we said that we'd meet at 7 the next evening. I suggest a shopping centre near him and he asks me if it will be open. Sure says I, it stays open late in the evening.

The next morning I picked up my phone to see 8 missed calls, 3 missed texts and a voicemail, wanting to know were I was. The dope turned up at 7AM, as in the one in the morning :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

And he has the cheek to give you bad feedback !!! LOL

about a month back I was looking for a phone so I had a look on Adverts.
    A user with the username "X" charityshop was selling a Motorola phone so I enquired.
    They were looking for E80.
    I didn't go for the phone and decided to spend a little more to buy a new one in store.
    Anyway fast forward to last night and I get a notification that someone has commented on the same ad.

Someone had mad a bid of E25! Its a charityshop FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Put up an item. First person bids 80% of asking. Second bids asking. First person then bids asking. I log in about five hours after the bids.

I accept the first person to offer asking. He then pulls out because it turns out he bid on like five of these items and never cancelled any bids. I leave neutral feedback because he bid on multiples with no intention of paying us all. He leaves me abusive feedback which I have to report to get removed.

I then accept the second person. We exchange PMs. They agree to collect with a 48hr period. I'm fine with that. They don't turn up. Get a PM the following day saying there were collecting that evening. I'm like ok fine so long as they take it i'll live with it.

Then they post on the ad that they withdraw, just before they were due to collect. They didn't PM or text me even though they had my number to pull out. I leave negative feedback for wasting my time. Lo and behold I get abusive comments from them on the ad and in response.

Bah. I think i'll just give things to charity in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

I sold a weighing scales and sitting room table that were in my way. Scales made €3 and table made €6. I think adverts is great and delighted with my sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know if this is tightness or stupidity... maybe both?

But a lot of people sell those fake 'Naked' make up palettes on adverts. Easy to spot the fakes as A LOT of people sell them half the retail price of the legit ones.
    But you always get people asking the same questions over and over again...."Is this real, i'll only buy if it is and do you have the receipt?" - which makes you shake your head. If it is brand new with a receipt why would someone take half price instead of just bringing it back to the shop! :pac: It's an obvious fake.

People want the legit ones but want to pay the fake prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Pretty much all positive experiences as a buyer, the only 'Del Boy' type I've met so far was some chancer trying to sell a wrecked ex-taxi as 'perfect', but you can get that on DoneDeal aswell.

The feedback on it is a good function which can save a bit of potential hassle, though I see sometimes people can be a bit too quick to leave negative feedback due to something minor when a deal can possibly still be done.
    I got some crappy lowball offer recently and found myself loudly yelling NO into the phone as I saw it.

Yep, just ignore those chancers. On the opposite side to that though, some sellers don't do anyone any favours either. I was watching two phones over Christmas, both had 'non-negotiable' askings which were a little higher than I was willing to go (One even had 'NO OFFERS' in its title). Being the non-messer type, I didn't offer in the comments, but kept an eye to see if the asking came down a bit. Low and behold, after Christmas both sellers accept lower offers made via the comments without reducing the askings.
    The next morning I picked up my phone to see 8 missed calls, 3 missed texts and a voicemail, wanting to know were I was. The dope turned up at 7AM, as in the one in the morning :eek::confused:

I had something similar once, except as a buyer. The seller got the day wrong and turned up at the meet a day early. First I saw of it was when he cancelled my offer and relisted the ad. He had good feedback so I wasn't too concerned and after a quick PM we established what happened and re-confirmed the meet and the deal went ahead fine. It was a complete brain fart on his part, I've had my fair share of them, and we had a laugh about it in the end.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes. - in reply to the op.

But there are some decent folk on it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Herself has good success selling her second underwear, it draws the odd weirdo but money is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Fits me like a glove so it does. Those size 44s are hard come by in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

I don't know if this is tightness or stupidity... maybe both?

But a lot of people sell those fake 'Naked' make up palettes on adverts. Easy to spot the fakes as A LOT of people sell them half the retail price of the legit ones.
    But you always get people asking the same questions over and over again...."Is this real, i'll only buy if it is and do you have the receipt?" - which makes you shake your head. If it is brand new with a receipt why would someone take half price instead of just bringing it back to the shop! :pac: It's an obvious fake.

People want the legit ones but want to pay the fake prices.

People are incredibly stupid. Don't blame ignorance.....some people are just stupid.

Frequently see Rolex watches or similar advertised for 200-1000 euro. Obviously fake and people asking "is it real" or better still if the watch is up for 1000 euro (would be 4000 if it was real) and a stupid buyer puts in offer "600 if real and meet me in jewellers to confirm"

Sure mate. Seller is already selling for 25 % of market value. Of course it's real. And if it's real he will definitely accept your offer of 15% of market value.

Also it's amazing how many people don't bother to read comments that are already on the add.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

"Gold Dubloon - Found in the lost city of El Dorado. Probably priceless but will let go for €200"

"hamsandwich783: €50 offered or swap for toaster. See my ad. Can meet today"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Agricola wrote: »
    "Gold Dubloon - Found in the lost city of El Dorado. Probably priceless but will let go for €200"

"hamsandwich783: €50 offered or swap for toaster. See my ad. Can meet today"

"Agricola: Is the toaster real? Do you have a receipt?"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Put up an item. First person bids 80% of asking. Second bids asking. First person then bids asking. I log in about five hours after the bids.

I accept the first person to offer asking. He then pulls out because it turns out he bid on like five of these items and never cancelled any bids. I leave neutral feedback because he bid on multiples with no intention of paying us all. He leaves me abusive feedback which I have to report to get removed.

I then accept the second person. We exchange PMs. They agree to collect with a 48hr period. I'm fine with that. They don't turn up. Get a PM the following day saying there were collecting that evening. I'm like ok fine so long as they take it i'll live with it.

Then they post on the ad that they withdraw, just before they were due to collect. They didn't PM or text me even though they had my number to pull out. I leave negative feedback for wasting my time. Lo and behold I get abusive comments from them on the ad and in response.

Bah. I think i'll just give things to charity in future

The amount of total idiots out there is worrying.

about a month back I was looking for a phone so I had a look on Adverts.
    A user with the username "X" charityshop was selling a Motorola phone so I enquired.
    They were looking for E80.
    I didn't go for the phone and decided to spend a little more to buy a new one in store.
    Anyway fast forward to last night and I get a notification that someone has commented on the same ad.

Someone had mad a bid of E25! Its a charityshop FFS.

Oh would you go away with that ****ing charity shops are as likely to give the money to charity as the man on the moon :rolleyes: i can tell you now if you'd paid €80 for that phone about 10% if anything goes to the listed charity.

Ah lad that's a bit much leaving feedback for that. I can place an offer on 10 ads right now for the same product and I promise you only one will get back to me. The rest have either been sold without being taken off or the user hasn't been online since posting the ad. All the while I'm waiting to hear back about the one ad I placed an offer on several more who would actually respond have sold their items.

• Advertisement

Oh would you go away with that ****ing charity shops are as likely to give the money to charity as the man on the moon :rolleyes: i can tell you now if you'd paid €80 for that phone about 10% if anything goes to the listed charity.

I wouldn't expect it all to go to charity. Charity shops have overheads like every other business and require at least one full time staff member.
    You have to be realistic about it.

Advertisement