Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sellers need to cop themselfs on with pricing.
    you need to know what price it is new in the shops now
    if i can buy it for 200 now why would i give you 200 for second hand.
    it doesnt matter that you paid 300 for it.
    its value is 100 or maybe 150 if practically new

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Took a load of stuff down and sold it on Ebay. Yes you pay fees but its far, far less hastle.

Only if the ebay buyer is genuine, the problem with eBay and Paypal is the well known scam of buyer pays via paypal, you post, they say item is crap, eBay takes money back from seller, leaving seller out the mula, the postage and the goods.
    I only do F2F on adverts, in a well lit area with plenty CCTV

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

PayPal is siding more with the sellers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Paypal is/are mainly 18 -> 20 something year olds that are mostly hungover and do not know how to deal with your money. More importantly, they should not have that type of responsibility.
    Paypal got very lucky with their timing and it was adopted globally (Lucky, or American advantage is irrelevant). There are quite a few European companies largely adopted in central Europe that are a much better option.
    But unfortunately they are still not global.
    Paypal are not reliable. as mentioned above, they are not qualified to deal with other peoples money when it comes down to a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

sellers need to cop themselfs on with pricing.
    you need to know what price it is new in the shops now
    if i can buy it for 200 now why would i give you 200 for second hand.
    it doesnt matter that you paid 300 for it.
    its value is 100 or maybe 150 if practically new

There's a load of lads buying from Alibaba and reselling for x4 the price. Fair enough, you may have customs if it's expensive and it's handy not to wait 4 weeks, but don't act like you're doing me a favour by selling some thing thats worth 50 quid for 200, or get pissed when I call you out on it.
    I had a lad deny it, even tho his ad was a copy/paste of the aliexpress ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I disagree. You need to know the market value of your item. If its X brand new, you simply cant expect to sell the same item second hand at a higher price.

Used to be a boards rule that too.

They removed when it went commercial.

Now its flooded with all sort of overpriced junk. My area is flooded with one seller selling 1000's of items, yet is not classed as commercial. So can't ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭worded

Adverts has worked well for me over the years f2f meetings

Sold a set of chefs knifes in summer hill one dark night to a gentleman
    Wearing a wife beater vest. My instincts told me to run when I picked up on
    The vibe of the cul de sac .... anyway a sale was a sale and it went fine as all other sales did.

Bought a few items as well. Can't fault it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hate the spoilers / ruiners / jerks.

See more and more people commenting on an ad saying you can get that for xxx price (cheaper) in a shop or else where online. Putting the kibosh on someone selling it.
    It's usually on cheap items too like a phone case for 5 euro or there other.

Like if you can get it somewhere else cheaper then get it. Don't spoil someone else. But of course such is life.

Lol

You can't be serious?

"Shush lads I'm trying to fleece some sucker here... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

lawred2 wrote: »
    Lol

You can't be serious?

"Shush lads I'm trying to fleece some sucker here... "

Ya wouldn't see someone walking into a shop full of people and roaring at the top of his voice that an item in there is available cheaper some other place

Ya wouldn't see someone walking into a shop full of people and roaring at the top of his voice that an item in there is available cheaper some other place

That is true. What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Adverts attracts the scum and chancers who would be thrown out of a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Thats untrue, I've seen that happen in supermarkets and game shops. Not as frequently as on adverts, but still.

Adverts attracts the scum and chancers who would be thrown out of a shop

Adverts is a closer equivalent to a car boot sale than a shop. Would have thought that was obvious.

If you want a shop. Go to a shop.

Adverts is a closer equivalent to a car boot sale than a shop. Would have thought that was obvious.

If you want a shop. Go to a shop.

You don't get abuse or reported at a car boot sale

You don't get abuse or reported at a car boot sale

And that's never happened to me on adverts either.

Tis bad form. The only reason people try and get away with it on adverts is because they're sitting at home behind the comfort and safety of their own computing machine with the doors locked. Wouldn't risk making a show of themselves in real life and being turfed outside the door. Pack of cowards. If the lad on adverts doing that could produce a cert from the Garda stating that he's been turfed out of 10 shops for doing that I'd say at least he has the balls.

Tis bad form. The only reason people try and get away with it on adverts is because they're sitting at home behind the comfort and safety of their own computing machine with the doors locked. Wouldn't risk making a show of themselves in real life and being turfed outside the door. Pack of cowards. If the lad on adverts doing that could produce a cert from the Garda stating that he's been turfed out of 10 shops for doing that I'd say at least he has the balls.

If I was a seller who was seeking to sell over the market and someone pointed that out - I wouldn't see it as bad form. I'd either withdraw the item or adjust the price appropriately. Hoping people keep shtum so you can bag a sucker is bad form.

If I was a seller who was seeking to sell over the market and someone pointed that out - I wouldn't see it as bad form. I'd either withdraw the item or adjust the price appropriately. Hoping people keep shtum so you can bag a sucker is bad form.

They don't need your help for that if the item is any bit reasonably popular the only reason it wouldn't sell is because its too expensive and they'll cop on soon enough. The wiseguys pointing out the lower prices are often posting a link to some shady site over in France or Hong Kong excluding shipping and dont bother mentioning you could be caught for customs importing it.

Bought something myself on adverts couple of months ago and there was one of these wiseguys saying the item was available in Currys or one of those shops for only about 50-100 quid more and suggesting the seller should drop the price even more for that reason. Obviously the pleasure and experience of walking into a big rectangular box store with uniformed sales staff and automatic doors is worth paying extra for

Bought something myself on adverts couple of months ago and there was one of these wiseguys saying the item was available in Currys or one of those shops for only about 50-100 quid more and suggesting the seller should drop the price even more for that reason. Obviously the pleasure and experience of walking into a big rectangular box store with uniformed sales staff and automatic doors is worth paying extra for

And getting something boxed up, brand new with a warranty;).
    Some people don't believe that items depreciate, and something that's worth 200 to you is 100 to me.
    For example, you see plenty of lads who bought a custom PC for €1000 try to sell it for €800 2 years later, not realising the cost of those parts, new, may only be €700.

They don't need your help for that if the item is any bit reasonably popular the only reason it wouldn't sell is because its too expensive and they'll cop on soon enough. The wiseguys pointing out the lower prices are often posting a link to some shady site over in France or Hong Kong excluding shipping and dont bother mentioning you could be caught for customs importing it.

Grand, so you respond to said wiseguy with those exact points and that's the end of it.

The good thing with adverts is that you are given the chance to properly respond and for all other prospective buyers to see your response.

If you don't respond then it's maybe fair for everyone else to wonder whether the justification for your valuation is valid or not. Especially if you're not willing to defend it.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    And getting something boxed up, brand new with a warranty;).
    Some people don't believe that items depreciate, and something that's worth 200 to you is 100 to me.
    For example, you see plenty of lads who bought a custom PC for €1000 try to sell it for €800 2 years later, not realising the cost of those parts, new, may only be €700.

Just like this yoke was. Really the only extra thing you'd be getting for your 100 was the smarmy grin on the sales guy's face as he tries to sell you a USB cable or a memory card for 2-3x what it should be

And that's never happened to me on adverts either.

Well isnt that just wonderful, but you are in a small minority

Well isnt that just wonderful, but you are in a small minority

Not me. So long as you're not a chancer you'll do grand.

I have no problem calling someone out if their price is ridiculous, but I'm also not someone who'll haggle over a fiver.

You do see some eejits offering €18 for something costing €20 :rolleyes:

eeguy wrote: »
    Not me. So long as you're not a chancer you'll do grand.

I have no problem calling someone out if their price is ridiculous, but I'm also not someone who'll haggle over a fiver.

You do see some eejits offering €18 for something costing €20 :rolleyes:

Seller sells item at price he sees fit....You calling "him out' means nothing other than you clog up space, nobody is going to change their mind because you think the price is rediculous :rolleyes:

Seller sells item at price he sees fit....You calling "him out' means nothing other than you clog up space, nobody is going to change their mind because you think the price is rediculous :rolleyes:

Fair enough if he doesn't change his mind. I'm happy knowing that other viewers are aware of their options.

If they wish to purchase, knowing there's a cheaper alternative (even if it's not as convenient) then all power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Some will, for example, theres gougers selling nes minis on adverts for 180 (rrp 60) because stock was low over Christmas but the last couple of days they have been coming back into stock in smyths and although I don't do it it warms my heart when people comment to let people bidding know this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Some will, for example, theres gougers selling nes minis on adverts for 180 (rrp 60) because stock was low over Christmas but the last couple of days they have been coming back into stock in smyths and although I don't do it it warms my heart when people comment to let people bidding know this

I asked a guy why he is selling it 2nd hand for over double the price of Smyths brand new.

He called me a stupid c*** and had me blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I disagree. You need to know the market value of your item. If its X brand new, you simply cant expect to sell the same item second hand at a higher price.

I do believe you are taking it the wrong way. I know what you are saying but not talking about market price.

Say this for example, I buy a power bank for 20 euro. Use it for 6 months then try to sell it on adverts for say 10 euro. But then someone comments "ah sure you can get power banks for 1.50 in dealz now" (which you can) but that's spoiling. Like talking about a total different brand of power bank etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I asked a guy why he is selling it 2nd hand for over double the price of Smyths brand new....

Why bother. its not your job to warn people to shop around. People are allowed to make a profit on items these days.

It hasn't been a community site with rules against that for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I put an ad for a perfectly good Laptop bag in the FREE section today and someone requests it.

However, I notice they have no feedback at all so I don't accept but reply to them saying that, Are they genuinely interested in collecting it and they respond that they are and assure me that they can collect it tomorrow and that they have just joined adverts.ie. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I then accept their request asking them to PM me their contact details.

They PM me then saying, can they have my number and address and that they'll have their Dad collect it when he wakes up?? I just send them my number.

An hour or so later, a rough speaking man calls me wanting to know when he can collect tomorrow and what my address is. I just give him my Estate address and not my number but he can ring me when he's in my estate for the house number.

Another hour after the call, I get a PM on adverts from them saying that they have to cancel the offer but Thanks.
    Weird thing was that I couldn't reply to them via PM, I even tried posting a comment on their other adverts but I couldn't. Then I tried leaving them justified negative feedback but I couldn't either. They had Blocked me!!

I'm assuming from their Adverts user name they were a woman and 25 years old as there was 1991 in their user name. Like seriously, some people need to grow up!

Also, it's amazing that they were informed enough to block me first to avoid me leaving justified negative feedback, their account was less than a week old. I'm guessing they weren't as new to adverts as they were letting on!

Or was this some sort of scam?

Either way, the laptop case went to next in line (with 10 + Feedback) who said he'll collect Tuesday but he did send on his number......We shall see!

Advertisement