Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Their current system is difficult to navigate and does hide items - I recently had prolonged dealings with eBay and they admitted that there are problems. It's not the place for the small trader any more and many of the items offered by larger traders (DVDs/Books etc.) can be had far cheaper elsewhere. eBay for sourcing an item an Amazon for buying it.

I never bought anything huge off eBay. I like warranties. However I found it great for buying comics, books, collectables and stuff like that. The bigger sellers are ok for buying big things off, but amazon is easier especially since it's free shipping over £20.

It really depends on what you're looking for, how much it is, where it's shipping from etc. They portray themselves as competitors and they are for part of their business but in the main they're not.

And they don't hide listings, not really. They have a filter that will block listings with bad language. So if you stick a "cunt" in the middle of your listing it'll get blocked. Besides that they don't.

As easy way to check if it's actually hidden is to take the item number and do a search with that. If it doesn't appear it's blocked.
    And if someone in customer service told you it was blocked and couldn't tell you why, it's because they were just bad at their job so politely ask to talk to someone else. Even if they couldn't tell you what the problem is specifically and when it would be fixed, ask for someone else. They have all that information to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

anyways, if you have questions about ebay, send me a PM. This isn't an eBay technical support thread so rather than derail, jsut send me a message :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Grayson wrote: »
    eBay don't hide listings. They just have a search engine and people wonder why their items don't appear at the top.

Editing to add: I know the search engine inside out. If you want any advice, send me a message.
    ebays search function is fucking shocking in fairness. I still find it hard to believe it took so long for such a huge company to allow you to sort by price including postage, mind blowingly obvious thing, only came on the .ie a few years back. Its like they actively do not want you to find stuff, doing themselves out of business. Textbook "how not to make a search engine", especially in the early days.

The fact you seemingly pride yourself on knowing how to use it and offer advice speaks volumes TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I buy all my phones from China due to the fact that you get better specs for the price, I usually upgrade every 6 months or so, when selling I check the current new price(before customs and delivery which usually ads 50) and sell at a good price.

Phone brand new 200(before delivery/customs)
    I sell for 140 perfect condition
    get offers of 60 and I quote "Ive never heard of this Xioami/Jiayu/Lenovo etc I can get a 1GB ram 8GB memory bog standard Samsung/HTC in the shop for 99"

Arghh head wrecking as I normally post specs and am very picky with what I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Every 6 months???

• Advertisement

Every 6 months???

If not less :pac: take a look at the chinese phone thread on the android forum, new phones get released all the time with better specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If not less :pac: take a look at the chinese phone thread on the android forum, new phones get released all the time with better specs.

What on earth do you want from a phone? Mine tells the time, receives and sends text, the occasional call. the alarm clock is handy and the stopwatch facility is useful for the immersion and for timing the oven. It's a Sony Ericsson and cost about €30 in 2007. The manufacturers must love to see you coming. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

thanks for that tip, I am off to look! *drools* I'll be keeping an eye out on adverts for you too now!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What on earth do you want from a phone? Mine tells the time, receives and sends text, the occasional call. the alarm clock is handy and the stopwatch facility is useful for the immersion and for timing the oven. It's a Sony Ericsson and cost about €30 in 2007. The manufacturers must love to see you coming. :D

I use it for everything so barely use a pc/laptop, faster the better, more memory etc better cameras, as long as their are improvements I will get it.....I like being up to date the manufacturers can keep watching me coming :pac:

Kamili wrote: »
    thanks for that tip, I am off to look! *drools* I'll be keeping an eye out on adverts for you too now!

Don't think their will be one for a while, saving for a house and a holiday is limiting me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I use it for everything so barely use a pc/laptop, faster the better, more memory etc better cameras, as long as their are improvements I will get it.....I like being up to date the manufacturers can keep watching me coming :pac:

Exactly, I use mine as a mobile laptop while I'm on the move and as a very good camera when the moment strikes itself.

I need to constantly be able to receive and sand emails, PDF and spreadsheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have often wondered if some of the offers should be hidden from public view on adverts .

I will try and give an example . Item for sale asking €100 , first offer of €25 ....all that should be shown is either a comment and that an offer has been made. not the €25

That €25 if shown tends to be the marked for price now , people to tend to just offer slightly above that and not just under the asking like it should be.

You can decline the offer with the price hidden , all that is shown is that an offer was made and declined.

Comments should only be questions on the item and additions to the offer , never a monetary amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joeface wrote: »
    I have often wondered if some of the offers should be hidden from public view on adverts .

I will try and give an example . Item for sale asking €100 , first offer of €25 ....all that should be shown is either a comment and that an offer has been made. not the €25

That €25 if shown tends to be the marked for price now , people to tend to just offer slightly above that and not just under the asking like it should be.

You can decline the offer with the price hidden , all that is shown is that an offer was made and declined.

Comments should only be questions on the item and additions to the offer , never a monetary amount.

people would just haggle in the comments before making an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Went looking for a lens there for the camera and saw this: http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-5d-mark-iii-extras/10614414

The best she can do is €1,900 for a 1.5yr old camera. You can get one for less than €1,500 with a warranty from a reputable shop, or if you can get the VAT back you can buy a brand new one for under €1,700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Esel wrote: »
    Does not compute.

It worked fine when I sold it, Buyer Beware:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think I have been very lucky on Adverts to be honest, I've only ever really sold music equipment and consoles on it, bought a second hand Mac air on it at the weekend and all is great with it so far....

(Touches wood!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I was trying to sell something on DoneDeal and this lad offered 40 less than I was looking for, but I accepted the offer.

The amount of texts I got off this lad to meet up was something unreal, work was quiet so I said I'd meet him, he was letting on he had to travel on the bus for quite a while to meet me and he wouldn't get another chance again soon. I went home to pick up the yoke, showed it to him, he looked at it for quite a while then he says

"Ok I'll get the money from ATM"

He arrives with 20 quid less than he offered

Tells me he won't pay anymore and he'll have to leave it. He spent so much to get there on the bus, blah blah

I says "OK grand we'll leave it so", drive straight off back into work

Fistfull of texts arrived from him to greet me when I got out the car - first he creeps up by €10 from what he tried to give me, then tells me he won another €10 on a horse so he's back to offering what he started with.

Loads more texts from him, I tell him I don't have time for this. Texts from him every day since. Suddenly he doesn't need to get on any bus to meet me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

loyatemu wrote: »
    people would just haggle in the comments before making an offer.

Best price - cash tomorrow - good buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Saw a good one yesterday:

Half-keeping an eye on an seller selling iPad Air + Apple Smart Case - both brand new and sealed. Someone offers him/her a used lower spec iPad mini and cover for it. Amazingly the offer was declined....lol.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mick McCarthy?

The description in the ad is amusing:
    Omre Quickmill ham slicer, working perfect, not long after giving it a good clean and a dollop of grease on the gears. Would look lovely in a Dublin coffee shop that charges 5 quid a cup and is frequented solely by hipsters.

Ideal if you're making a coming of age film set in 1950's Ireland and you have a scene set in the local siopa where the news is broken that your protagonist (a well educated, smartly dressed cailín from a well-to-do family) has had a dramatic and completely unexpected fall from grace. This ham slicer could be sitting nicely in the background while all the local housewives bless themselves as they express their shock and horror.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

That ad is stupid, who would find that amusing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That ad is stupid, who would find that amusing?

Me. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I have withdrawn all of my rings, €28 for a sterling silver ring with 10 really good looking cubic zirconias, is that real diamond?

No the diamond one will cost you €395 and set in gold

I want real diamonds around the €40 mark

So do I, lots and lots and lots of them 10 real diamonds set into a ring costing me €40 I would be living on a yacht in the Bahamas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

Used breast feeding bras seem to be good sellers at the moment at average €3. Presume they are washed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Used breast feeding bras seem to be good sellers at the moment at average €3. Presume they are washed.

Wouldn't ya feel like a right tìt selling that kinda thing on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

I'd be interested in some used breasts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Unwashed ones would probably get a lot more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

Unwashed ones would probably get a lot more.

Used semi soiled thongs are making big on eBay, there is an opening in the market here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

I was trying to sell something on DoneDeal and this lad offered 40 less than I was looking for, but I accepted the offer.

The amount of texts I got off this lad to meet up was something unreal, work was quiet so I said I'd meet him, he was letting on he had to travel on the bus for quite a while to meet me and he wouldn't get another chance again soon. I went home to pick up the yoke, showed it to him, he looked at it for quite a while then he says

"Ok I'll get the money from ATM"

He arrives with 20 quid less than he offered

Tells me he won't pay anymore and he'll have to leave it. He spent so much to get there on the bus, blah blah

I says "OK grand we'll leave it so", drive straight off back into work

Fistfull of texts arrived from him to greet me when I got out the car - first he creeps up by €10 from what he tried to give me, then tells me he won another €10 on a horse so he's back to offering what he started with.

Loads more texts from him, I tell him I don't have time for this. Texts from him every day since. Suddenly he doesn't need to get on any bus to meet me

Did you leave him negative feedback? It's the only way. he can't retaliate and give you negative

Advertisement