Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History of rush

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Are you referring to the old corn mill at the junction with Spout Road?

Yes, that’s it.

Does anyone know when it ceased operation? Or who owned/ owns it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Yes, that’s it.

Does anyone know when it ceased operation? Or who owned/ owns it now?
    I've no idea who owns it. It was going through gradual refurbishments a few years ago but don't think it was ever finished. It appears on the old OS maps as 'Corn Mill'. There's a large house (Whitestown House) behind it but hidden from view. Perhaps the same owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I've no idea who owns it. It was going through gradual refurbishments a few years ago but don't think it was ever finished. It appears on the old OS maps as 'Corn Mill'. There's a large house (Whitestown House) behind it but hidden from view. Perhaps the same owner?

A refurbishment started a few years ago on the mill. I dont know where the work is at now but it was been done by the owner. He lives in Whitestown house which is behind it, a fine house bulit in around 1800. There is also a working farm up the lane beside it. Frank Flannagan is the current owner and has been there for about 30 years.

I was in the Mill a few years ago and it is quite intact. The roof is in good repair so that has been a blessing for the owners. I spotted a few names etched into the walls that I knew. It was a place lads often went when mitching from school.

Originally the family who owned that I heard were smugglers, Rickards were their name who also owned a house down at the harbour (Tower street end). From the mill you could see right down Rogerstown eastuary so this gave the family a full view of the Irish sea from Howth uo past the islands and Rockabill

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Any relation of Mick Kane who was captain of Rush Golf club in 1996 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭briany

The year was 1963.

The year was 1963..... Oh what a night....

A great venue for dances back in the day and later teen discos.

Would anyone have a history of Kanes in the area ? Did they come Swords/Malahide area in the 1800s ?

There were differnt families of Kanes when I was growing up.

Joe Kane was school principle of Rush national school. He lived at the square/Bawn rd junction. The house with the steps up to it.

Tom "Dixie" Kane lived on Hands lane.

There were Kanes in Hayestown also. Jimmy was a great character who died about 4 years ago. I dont know if any of the families were related

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sissy32

Hi

Jimmy was my Uncle and yes related to the school master.

Jimmy's home house was at Old Road Rush. He lived there with his family including my mother, Nancy (Anne) until the thatch needing replacing. Sadly that never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Andrea211

Hello happy to see this tread. Wonder if any one knew Frank/Mai hand. They lived in 49 quay street? They reared my mam her name was Shiela/Mona. She was put into care and they took her in. They were not relatives, I think friends of my aunty Shiela O Brien. Frank and Mai are buried in same plot as Peggy gosson. I remember being in Peggy's house at very young age, had the caravan out the back? lived on main street across from church? Was there a connection with them or just friends? Did anyone know my mother also. She would have lived in skerries up until 18 years old. She passed away 25 years ago.

Does anyone have the kane family tree done for the Kanes that lived in Rush ?I'm a kane myself.

Have you a Kane family tree done by chance?. I'm a Kane myself.

Are you sure thats Rush and not Skerries you are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thanks, I was trying to think of what that arcade used to be called. Got my first look at Street Fighter 2 in there. As I recall, they also had a racing game with a force feedback cabinet, which was amazing at the time.

Does anyone remember a cabinet they had in there that was like a wireframe graphics 3d spaceship shooter? This would have been early 90s as well. Looked a bit like Tempest, but maybe more graphically sophisticated.

Advertisement