Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Dont remember them but must enquire. Do you know if they were related to Joe Kane the school principle? Tom Kane who worked in the council cutting grass and in graveyards or Jimmy Kane in Hayestown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

opawaman wrote: »
    Anyone in Rush remember Jimmy Kane or his brother Paddy . They originally lived in Doctors lane not far from the Lambs and practically opposite Willie Christies. . This was back in the fifties and early sixties. There was a sweet shop at the end of Doctors lane on the bend.

The Sweet shop was Fitzgeralds, they were the Aunt and Uncle of Eamon who runs the funeral business in Rush today.
    LeoB wrote: »
    Dont remember them but must enquire. Do you know if they were related to Joe Kane the school principle? Tom Kane who worked in the council cutting grass and in graveyards or Jimmy Kane in Hayestown?

Jimmy Kane Hayestown is the Jimmy Kane. The family moved from Doctors Lane to Hayestown.

I was going to start a new thread but probably best to keep this together with the History of Rush thread since we seem to be getting quite a few international visitors on this thread lately.

I think this might be an interesting to anyone from Rush or with Rush connections. Using the wonders of Google Streetview and screen capture can anyone link any of the below 1911 house returns with the present locations in the town of Rush?

Census Return for the Town of Rush 1911.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rush/Rush_Town/

So just post the name of Head of Household from 1911 and the link to the census return along with an image of the present location obtained from Google Streetview. Who wants to start us off?

Ok guess I have to go first.

Robert Purcell
    1911 Census Returns

216272.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Does anyone remember the little sweet shop that was overlooking the north beach, near the north beach caravan park?

Was almost directly up from one of the block buildings with the flat roofs (what were they for anyway?)

As kids, we used to run from the cliff end of the beach and buy 1/4lb of sour apple/cola cubes/satin pillows etc.

Shop was run by an elderly lady.

Does anyone remember the little sweet shop that was overlooking the north beach, near the north beach caravan park?

Was almost directly up from one of the block buildings with the flat roofs (what were they for anyway?)

As kids, we used to run from the cliff end of the beach and buy 1/4lb of sour apple/cola cubes/satin pillows etc.

I vaguely remember it. It was beside/infront of Charlie McNallys. Forget who owned the shop.

The shelters were changing rooms for swimmers. There were 2 on that beach and the South beach also had 2. They are now used by lifeguards.

What I do remember of that time was going collecting bottles and bringing them to the shop and you would get a commission in old pennies for each bottle. I think it was maybe 5p.

Because of the time now elapsed I remember bringing the bottles to a certain shop and when they were put outside we borrowed them and brought them to another shop and got our commission there also. I suppose it was our equivilant of overtime:D. Needless to say we had a few trigger bars and a sherbert fizz and maybe minerals if the pickings were good. Sometimes we would keep the bottles at home until weekend.

Does anyone remember Eileen Connolly's shop on Lr. Main St? beside where Garden of Eden herbs is. I remember the packets of crisps came in Tin boxes, Perri crisps

• Advertisement

Ok guess I have to go first.

Robert Purcell
    1911 Census Returns

216272.JPG

Anyone else care to have a crack before I post another?

I remember that house as Farrens up to a few years ago.

How is best way to approach this? Do I put up a picture and we try to match it to cencus results?

I remember that house as Farrens up to a few years ago.

How is best way to approach this? Do I put up a picture and we try to match it to cencus results?

Yeap, use Google Street view if you can, I have found some people object to strange men standing outside their house with a camera. But you may have photos already or be able to find photos online. Best probably to start with posting photos of places you can link to the 1911 Census already then when we have exhausted that we can start filling the blanks in the street.

P.S Try attaching any photos rather than linking them to your posts. Linked photos have a habit of going missing overtime.

Yeap, use Google Street view if you can, I have found some people object to strange men standing outside their house with a camera. But you may have photos already or be able to find photos online. Best probably to start with posting photos of places you can link to the 1911 Census already then when we have exhausted that we can start filling the blanks in the street.

P.S Try attaching any photos rather than linking them to your posts. Linked photos have a habit of going missing overtime.

You can take a photo of any house from the street and people cant stop you once you are not using it for commercial use, I have been there!!! Oh and you can include people in it also again once its not for commercial use. Will have a look on Thursday or Friday busy few days ahead.

How did you come up with the name Purcell for this house. I didnt know there Street numbers widely used back then or how can we accuratley compare todays numbers with numbers used back then? The house has a number on the 1911 map? Currently 95 is just down the road from me on opposite side 119 is further down

Good idea anyway. beats that fckn Eirgrid stuff

How did you come up with the name Purcell for this house.
    Stumbled upon it, Porters 1912 Guide lists
    Purcell, Robt., Geraldine House

and when I was checking the planning for the new supermarket, part of the site was listed as Geraldine House. I believe Robert Purcell in his later days did some work on Radio Éireann.
    I didnt know there Street numbers widely used back then or how can we accuratley compare todays numbers with numbers used back then? The house has a number on the 1911 map? Currently 95 is just down the road from me on opposite side 119 is further down

I asked the question about house numbers on the census before in the genealogy forum here, basically its not based on an actual number on the house but the number the Census Enumerator gave the house. So he may have started off at number 17 Main Street Rush but on the Census that's house 1. If that section of the street hasn't changed much over the years it might give you a general idea were the house on the Census form is. The Porters 1912 is a helpfully reference because in those days quite often people lived over or at the back of their business premises.

http://www.dublin1850.com/porter1912/page24.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bmd1000

Hi, I just found this thread and have read some of it - very interesting. Does anybody out there have any information on an old school teacher in Rush called Maggie Carroll. I'm tracing my family tree. I believe she never married, i have seen a couple of photos of her (with communion classes) and i believe she lived in the Main Street, near what used to be Butterlys Shop (now Genoa). A friend of my fathers remembers her wake in Rush, probably in the 1940's/1950's but I can't find her grave in Rush! I don't know if she was born in Rush or when but any info would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi bmd1000 - You could also try the Genealogy forum to seek their help.

tHB

Hi bmd1000 - You could also try the Genealogy forum to seek their help.

tHB
    Thanks THN, will do, just thought it might be worth a try with the Rush connection

bmd1000 wrote: »
    Thanks THN, will do, just thought it might be worth a try with the Rush connection
    Oops Sorry, typo, Thanks THB

Hi, I just found this thread and have read some of it - very interesting. Does anybody out there have any information on an old school teacher in Rush called Maggie Carroll. I'm tracing my family tree. I believe she never married, i have seen a couple of photos of her (with communion classes) and i believe she lived in the Main Street, near what used to be Butterlys Shop (now Genoa). A friend of my fathers remembers her wake in Rush, probably in the 1940's/1950's but I can't find her grave in Rush! I don't know if she was born in Rush or when but any info would be appreciated

Would you mind posting up your communion classes photos here or on the Rush Old photos Facebook page?

She didn't die in the 1940s.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie
    According to the late Miss Margaret Carroll, by 1951 over £10,000 had been paid out in dowries.

I believe she was buried in Whitestown Graveyard in Rush. You could venture out for another trip or contact Fingal County Council to see if they have any records on her burial plot. I don't remember hearing if she came from Rush orginally. Her housekeeper was Molly Devine so perhaps some of her relatives might know.

The below house is were she lived.
    219584.JPG

Thank you Cardinal Richelieu. Sorry about the misinformation re dates, I was not at home when I put up that post and was working from memory (but not very well).
    I had seen that excerpt where she was quoted regarding the dowries alright. We did look in Whitestown Cemetery but didn’t find anything, although some of the gravestones in the older part are missing and some are illegible. We also tried the small graveyard on the Skerries Road near St Catherines.
    I did try to track down someone in Fingal County Council who might be able to help but to no avail and I gave up. I also tried the Department of Education archives but they couldn’t help. My mother also spoke to someone in the school but they don’t have any records. We were aware of the housekeeper, Molly Devine, but don’t know her family, if she has any. There is a list online of graves in Whitestown but she’s not on it.
    Unfortunately, I have very little information on her. It is made all the more difficult because I don’t have any firm dates, i.e, date / place of birth, date of death. All I really know about her is that she was my grandmother’s cousin (my granny was Mary Ellen Dunne, nee Carroll), she taught in Rush and she was waked in Rush.
    I will dig out the photo I have of her and communion class and scan it up here in the next few days.

You could try Rush Historical Society. They have a good knowledge stuff like that. I remember Molly Devine quite well. She lived in a house up beside the G.A.A club. I would saay there are a good few around who would remember your relative.

Thank you Cardinal Richelieu. Sorry about the misinformation re dates, I was not at home when I put up that post and was working from memory (but not very well).
    I had seen that excerpt where she was quoted regarding the dowries alright. We did look in Whitestown Cemetery but didn’t find anything, although some of the gravestones in the older part are missing and some are illegible. We also tried the small graveyard on the Skerries Road near St Catherines.
    I did try to track down someone in Fingal County Council who might be able to help but to no avail and I gave up. I also tried the Department of Education archives but they couldn’t help. My mother also spoke to someone in the school but they don’t have any records. We were aware of the housekeeper, Molly Devine, but don’t know her family, if she has any. There is a list online of graves in Whitestown but she’s not on it.
    Unfortunately, I have very little information on her. It is made all the more difficult because I don’t have any firm dates, i.e, date / place of birth, date of death. All I really know about her is that she was my grandmother’s cousin (my granny was Mary Ellen Dunne, nee Carroll), she thought in Rush and she was waked in Rush.
    I will dig out the photo I have of her and communion class and scan it up here in the next few days.

That online list of graves for Whitestown only covers a small proportion of graves in the present graveyard, also a 1950s gravestone should be still in pretty good condition too.

I know FCC had a presentation at a council meeting about how they were going to launch a site were you could view all the graves in Fingal as part of the year of the gathering so hopefully that goes ahead. Perhaps they might be able to update you on that if you contact them again and can't travel back to Rush.

Thanks LeoB, I didn’t realise the Rush Historical Society was still in existence. I will try and find contact details for them and see if they can help.
    Cardinal Richelieu, I actually live in Rush. I didn’t grow up or go to school in Rush so don’t know a lot of the contacts who may be able to help. I’ll get back on to Fingal County Council again and try and get some info out of them. I think I’ll have to make another trip out to the graveyard to see if I missed anything first time round.

Cardinal Richelieu - This is my attempt at uploading the photo you requested of Maggie Carroll with Communion Class - don't know how successful i will be - fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Another pic of School Teacher Maggie Carroll with class, this time it gives names and 1925 as the year

Another pic of School Teacher Maggie Carroll with class, this time it gives names and 1925 as the year

I saw that picture before. My aunt Tissie is in it. She later married Pat Connolly and her children live around Rush. Behind her is her lifelong friend May Doyle from the Brook and to May's left Anne Coyle was a fountain of knowlege on local history and lived just accross from Tissie, where Finistere is now. If that is the Teresa Price I think it is I saw her the other night.

Mary Fran Flynn I think only passed away last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mickyd1000

Shop was based in the house in Fyne's field at the top of the small hill, just before the entrance to mcNally's field. House is gone now whole field seems to be a single house and garden. Remember living in that house years ago before it was a shop.
    Does anyone remember Eileen Connolly's shop on Lr. Main St? beside where Garden of Eden herbs is. I remember the packets of crisps came in Tin boxes, Perri crisps

I remember there used to be a shop opposite the old forge in Joe Prices called Prices oddly enough. I also remember a shop on the right hand side as you head towards main street and of course Dollies shop.

mickyd1000 wrote: »
    Shop was based in the house in Fyne's field at the top of the small hill, just before the entrance to mcNally's field. House is gone now whole field seems to be a single house and garden. Remember living in that house years ago before it was a shop..

What year are you talking about. I only remember Charlie McNally's house which is just outside the caravan park.
    I remember there used to be a shop opposite the old forge in Joe Prices called Prices oddly enough. I also remember a shop on the right hand side as you head towards main street and of course Dollies shop.

I remember Joe Prices shop well. Remember buying a little motorised boat. £5.50 at the time which was a small fortune to me. Jackie and Eliz Hughes then had it I think after Joe's wife Anna died. (Liz passed away this week). I remember the forge there also, Langans and that smell. That forge was probably going until about 1970-72. I remember Margie McLoone getting her horse shod there, well I think it was Margie and one of the Colemans from accross the road. Paddy Dempsey then had it as a metal work business and Gerry Dignam as Gymsports where he made Basketball stands, goal posts and and stuff used by sports clubs
    The shop up the street was owned by Mae Follenus, a member of the Harbour Bar Follenus. Dolly's was a great little shop. Dolly is still going strong thank god and a great neighbour.

For anyone interested there is a good article in Rush Community News. Its from Kevin Gallagher who was born in the Hand Park in 1950 and its his reflections on growing up there.

Anyone remember Superspeed shoes which was where Sunlock court now stands and Kinks hairdressers. Joe was the man who ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mickyd1000

What year are you talking about. I only remember Charlie McNally's house which is just outside the caravan park.

late 70's there was small bungalow there. If you look on google maps its called white sands now. When the Carlyann was still Armstrongs and Prices was still there on lower main street. but I think Follenus's shop may have just closed.
    I remember the forge there also, Langans and that smell. That forge was probably going until about 1970-72. I remember Margie McLoone getting her horse shod there, well I think it was Margie and one of the Colemans from accross the road. Paddy Dempsey then had it as a metal work business and Gerry Dignam as Gymsports where he made Basketball stands, goal posts and and stuff used by sports clubs
    Gerry Dignam never had the forge as far as i remember he got some of the sports equipment made there for a while ok.
    The shop up the street was owned by Mae Follenus, a member of the Harbour Bar Follenus. Dolly's was a great little shop. Dolly is still going strong thank god and a great neighbour.
    Anyone remember Superspeed shoes which was where Sunlock court now stands and Kinks hairdressers. Joe was the man who ran it.
    Yes I couldn't remember how to spell Follenus. Was Mae, Philips mother? and I got my shoes fixed in Superspeed shoes.

late 70's there was small bungalow there. If you look on google maps its called white sands now. When the Carlyann was still Armstrongs and Prices was still there on lower main street. but I think Follenus's shop may have just closed..
    White sands I know ok but I dont remember the shop. It must be an age thing

Gerry Dignam never had the forge as far as i remember he got some of the sports equipment made there for a while ok..
    Thought Gerry was based there before he moved up to Sandy Rd, opposite the credit union where he had a big shed
    Yes I couldn't remember how to spell Follenus. Was Mae, Philips mother? and I got my shoes fixed in Superspeed shoes.
    Mae was his aunt, Lily was Philips mother. Pat Sheridan often sang the scaffold song "Lily the Pink" at closing tiome in the Harbour bar

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kit M

Now you are taking the mick. While my late mother always claimed to be a Skerries native she was actually born in New Ross Co. Wexford. I can go low when I need to but never that low;)

Boys school I only remember that as C.Y.M.S but I did spend a year there in 4th or 5th class

Ulster Bank, I remember that as Northern Bank.

Other local place names
    Hole in the wall was out the Whitestown Rd at Springfield House or at the Bus stop after Centra as you leave Rush. A block wall with one block missing. It was the last checkpoint on the St. Maurs bicycle rally last held about 25 - 30 years ago

Dempseys Corner is the Junction dividing Upper Main St and Sandy Rd. That was the meeting point for St. Maurs for all away games when I was growing up.

Farrens Lane - Bissetts lane - Brook lane, These are all the same lane but referred to families who lived there at various times over the years. These address are still in use but the new families call it Brook lane. Its opposite Eurospar

The cow hole Bend on Crescent Rd

Kings Gap out Skerries Rd near Kenure woods

The Lays Up at the back of Hayestown

Boggy Lane some say Park Rd and some say the lane at front of Brookford

Kearneys bottoms, fields over at cliffs. Each little bay between the cliffs on North beach and Drummanagh has a name, Kearneys bottoms, Ladycove, Brooksend The roaring well

The Mash, Fields between Beau Hill and Rogerstown estuary

The long hollow Field in Rogerstown in front of Coastguard station. The Irish glass bottle company use to get sand from there.

Coopers bank, Lane at side of Hacketts butchers

The slip, Just after Harbour bar on way to Harbour

The Green and The Cross between Dempseys corner and where the pet shop is

The Crows Nest. A good fishing point behind Dr. Cusacks in the Hand Park. There is a gap in wall at bottom of Tower Street with a narrow path and this path takes you down.

The rocks on North beach are know as Big Kate and Little Kate and the big rock at back of Harbour is the Bull Rock.

Ask anyone with a few pints on board and they will also give you that "Dougal" look when asked about some local spots. Very few would know them all as when some fields were given up for building the names went with them. Fields had and ground had a reputation for being early ground or good rich soil.

I nearly sure the long hollow was the 1st hole rush golf club

I would have little doubt you have relations in Rush. The Leonard family are well know in the area and there is still quite a large family living and working locally.

2 Leonard families still fish from Rush pier, lobster fishing and a Leonard family operate the ferry to Lambay Island.

I will send you a pm later in week which will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Interestingly about 19 months ago there was a guy on here from Boston who traced his family back to Rush. They were also fishermen and became quite successful in the Boston area, O'Hara and Daly were the family names.

Just wondering if you made any headway in tracing your family name

I am also looking for info or family trees for Leonards. I have some info going back to 1780s but not sure if its accurate. Anyone from that part of the world with any info they would like to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Kit M - Have you also tried asking for advice in the Genealogy forum?

Advertisement