Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi Pacj
    we could be related,My john Leonards Parents were almost certainly John Leonard and Bridget Connor.I have managed to find siblings William 1793 Thomas 1789 Nicholas 1787.A few more to find.William leonard had some well known Descendants,including a silver medalist at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin Charles Frederick Leonard junior in the Pentathlon.You probably have all that information.My Niece lives in Donabate and was in rush last Saturday taking her Daughter to i Think Gymnastics.She went to the graveyard and was checking out some of the Leonard graves.she found a few which could have been relatives.She also noted that a lot of Leonards had great longevity.Thanks again for the Information.

Michael 1790,Christopher 1795,Joseph 1798. I'm from Nicholas 1787 who married Eleanor Kain. John / Bridget sure have a lot of decendents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Are all the Leonard families in Rush related?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

Thanks LeoB and pacj for that information.In the 1980s when working on trucks for gilbeys i sometimes delivered around north county Dublin.Was the harbour bar owned by Leonards then?.I forwarded the Information about the Leonards farms etc to my Niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Are all the Leonard families in Rush related?

Most of them are probably related if you back a few generations. I met another Leonard the other day and he asked me Jokingly did you find any MORE bishops in our family?
    bucaneer wrote: »
    Thanks LeoB and pacj for that information.In the 1980s when working on trucks for gilbeys i sometimes delivered around north county Dublin.Was the harbour bar owned by Leonards then?.I forwarded the Information about the Leonards farms etc to my Niece.

I only remember the Follenus family owning the Harbour Bar. But no doubt a few Leonards had a pint or two over the years

I think Grimly's owned it before Follenus's. Do'nt think Leonards owned it at any time

• Advertisement

Anybody know any history of the Murphy name in Rush

Thanks PaCJ
    I must have mixed it up with some other pub.

Pacj wrote: »
    Anybody know any history of the Murphy name in Rush

Is that Murphy the builder or Plumber?:D

There are a good few Murphys around Rush some of them go back a long way. Do you have a name in particular? Or an area of the Rush?

No, not a plumber,builder or resident but have connections.
    New most of the Murphys in the 60s and I think all were related.
    I,m doing a family tree.

No, not a plumber,builder or resident but have connections.
    New most of the Murphys in the 60s and I think all were related.
    I,m doing a family tree.

Where do you start? Art, Sammy, Kit, Benny Tom.... The list is endless. But funnily there is not a huge amount of Murphy s in Rush that I am aware of. If you can send me any pointers on the thread or via pm I can enquire for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

LeoB wrote: »
    Where do you start? Art, Sammy, Kit, Benny Tom.... The list is endless. But funnily there is not a huge amount of Murphy s in Rush that I am aware of. If you can send me any pointers on the thread or via pm I can enquire for you.

Sammy Murphy, from Sandy Hills, former neighbor of mine, worked in AIB Rush as a porter.

After a raid in early 80's he welcomed local farmers who called to Branch, with the news that their BOX has been stolen, he explained that each account had its own Box, cash, in/out, etc, the cash in the Box being your balance.
    Sorry but yours is gone, ..............panic

Their cash was in transit,I think I may have panicked as well.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Sammy Murphy, from Sandy Hills, former neighbor of mine, worked in AIB Rush as a porter.

After a raid in early 80's he welcomed local farmers who called to Branch, with the news that their BOX has been stolen, he explained that each account had its own Box, cash, in/out, etc, the cash in the Box being your balance.
    Sorry but yours is gone, ..............panic

Thats how I remember not only Sammy but a lot of his generation. Some great yarns.

I,m nearly sure all the Murphy's in Rush in 1950s & 60s were related. I think they were all decended from 3 brothers Richard,Thomas and Arthur (born 1870s) and nearly sure Thomas and Arthur worked in Kenure in early 1900s. I know there were Murphy's in Hayestown,Channel Rd,Sandy Rd and The Bawn.

I,m nearly sure all the Murphy's in Rush in 1950s & 60s were related. I think they were all decended from 3 brothers Richard,Thomas and Arthur (born 1870s) and nearly sure Thomas and Arthur worked in Kenure in early 1900s. I know there were Murphy's in Hayestown,Channel Rd,Sandy Rd and The Bawn.

Arthur would be the grandfather of the Art Murphy mentioned by LeoB, I forget Art father's name but Benny Murphy father was another son of Arthur as was Dickie Murphy in Hayestown. So the Channel Rd Murphy's and Hayestown Murphy's are related.

Arthur would be the grandfather of the Art Murphy mentioned by LeoB, I forget Art father's name but Benny Murphy father was another son of Arthur as was Dickie Murphy in Hayestown. So the Channel Rd Murphy's and Hayestown Murphy's are related.

Is this Dickie Kit Murphy who used to be in pipe band?

So the Thomas mentioned has sons Tommy (with the minibus business), Bill, Richard? The Art I mentioned had brothers Sammy already mentioned and Brian from up the back street. Art has a son who won a world championship with St. Maurs pipe band also as a drummer.

There is a photo I saw somewhere with Art playing on the drum's in the Palladium in a band with Mary Andrews on Piano.

It was only last week when I asked someone a question about Sandy Road they called it the Back Street which I had not heard in a very long time, it runs from Dempseys corner to Chapel green.

Here is what I "THINK" I know.

Thomas:- had ? children, at least 2 sons,Benny near Rogerstown,the other I don't know or the other children.

Richard(Dick):- had at least 3 sons Jem,Tom and Dick who lived in Hayestown.

Art :- lived on Back Street(good man Leob) had at least 5 children, Kit,Art,Sammy,Brian and Marian.
    Kit and Art played in the Pipe Band with Kitty Langan,Kit Collins,Carrick bros,Tom Andrews.

Cant think of the more recent names. I think Jem lived on Sandy Road at one time.

Thomas:- had ? children, at least 2 sons,Benny near Rogerstown,the other I don't know or the other children.

Art :- lived on Back Street(good man Leob) had at least 5 children, Kit,Art,Sammy,Brian and Marian.
    Kit and Art played in the Pipe Band with Kitty Langan,Kit Collins,Carrick bros,Tom Andrews.

Cant think of the more recent names. I think Jem lived on Sandy Road at one time.

I knew all the Murphys you mentioned except Marion. Benny lived about about 4 houses up the Channel rd from Spout Rd. He died about 10 years ago. His children all live in Rush.

Im getting a bit mixed up with the Dick Murphy's. Do you know the man on the bike who worked for Ruigrok's? He was married to Annie? Then there was Dick who also lived in Hayestown and had a son called Jem(my), The plot thickens.

On the Kitty Langan you mentioned Kitty played with St. Maurs pipe band in the Iveagh grounds in 1946 and soon after went to Canada. Currently one the bright young pipers in the band is a grand nephew of Kitty, Sean Weldon. And there are still half a dozen Carrick's in the band playing and passing on their skills to young members.

I will look in the band room tonight and ask a question or 2 as there are some photos on the wall from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Jeasus its a small world but even a smaller town when you see the connections.

Benny
    Brother ?
    Mrs Kerrigan, Whitestown Rd
    Mrs Farren

Jem
    Tom
    Dick

All worked for Ruigroks at one time, I think were the confusion happens when anyone mentions Ruigroks, people assume it was just one farm.

Brian married Peggy Taylor
    Marian married Kit Russell(probably the longest courtship in recent Rush History, they dated for 30 years)
    LeoB wrote: »
    I knew all the Murphys you mentioned except Marion. Benny lived about about 4 houses up the Channel rd from Spout Rd. He died about 10 years ago. His children all live in Rush.

Im getting a bit mixed up with the Dick Murphy's. Do you know the man on the bike who worked for Ruigrok's? He was married to Annie? Then there was Dick who also lived in Hayestown and had a son called Jem(my), The plot thickens.

Which Ruigrok's LeoB? Everyone seems to assume it was one farm but the Ruigroks sons all had their own farms.

Walter- Head of Family

Sons
    John- Dick drove market deliveries
    William- Tom drove for William
    Walter
    Adrian

P.S it was Sheila that was married to Richard(Dick).

Further info on the House Contents sold from Kenure House

http://www.iada.ie/the-age-of-the-great-house/
    Kenure Park at Rush, Co. Dublin was the home of the Palmer family for 150 years until they sold the property and contents in a sale conducted by J.H. North & Co. Ltd. in September 1964. This perhaps was one of Ireland’s finest houses being an 18th century house that which had been grandly refaced with an enormous portico in 1842 by George Papworth. Internally the house was elaborately decorated with fine plasterwork, a vast staircase hall, with reception rooms on the first floor all wonderfully decorated. The furnishings at the time of the sale were of the best with finest porcelain oriental, Chelsea, Dresden, Spode, Worcester, Mason Ironstone etc. The silver included a William III salver, London circa 1696, a Queen Anne plain cylindrical tankard and cover by James Gibbon, London, 1704, 50 pieces of table silver by John Pittar, Dublin, 1787. Paintings including works by or of the school of Romney, Kneller Cuyp, Guercino, Wouverman, B.V.D. Helst, A van de Velde etc.

The furniture was perhaps the most interesting section with many superb pieces. In particular: Lot 290 a fine pair of carved gilt torcheres comprising a pair of Chinese gilt figures supporting trays on carved tripod bases with paw feet and probably by Chippendale. The piece of furniture that was perhaps the sensation of the sale and indeed perhaps one of the most important pieces of furniture to be sold in Ireland in the 20th century was a Chippendale cabinet, Lot 291. The description in the catalogue read ‘A very fine Chinese Display Cabinet in mahogany with carved gilt ornamentation and decoration, three gilt pagodas over three door cabinet with glazed doors enclosing shelves standing on a table with three pillared supports at each corner. The table has three drawers, the centre one being fitted as a writing drawer with green baize covered slide.’ This piece was based on a design from Thomas Chippendale Director of 1754 plates 105 to 111. The sensation of the sale making around £5000, it recently reappeared with an asking price of some millions of dollars. All that remains today of this outstanding house is its portico after demolition in 1974.

• Advertisement

Cardinal/LeoB,
    I am very thankful for that info from you both. It fills in some blanks in what I was looking for. The siblings of these men I don't know but I will work on that. I've just found the father of the 3 brothers - Thomas,born 1833.
    You are both worth your weight in gold.

I was lucky to have been in Castletown House and Powerscourt House a few times in the early 60s through my job. They were truely
    "grand" places, very impressive and unforgetful.
    Castletown was very very close to going to "rack and ruin".
    I visited Kenure House many times with my mother in the 50s,she was friends with the Pratts. I never got upstairs.
    Kenure was no less "grand or impressive" than the above.
    Shame,shame,shame on those responsible for its demolition.

I was lucky to have been in Castletown House and Powerscourt House a few times in the early 60s through my job. They were truely
    "grand" places, very impressive and unforgetful.
    Castletown was very very close to going to "rack and ruin".
    I visited Kenure House many times with my mother in the 50s,she was friends with the Pratts. I never got upstairs.
    Kenure was no less "grand or impressive" than the above.
    Shame,shame,shame on those responsible for its demolition.

20130208152718_CEFNPARK_2.jpg

The former owners now reside in Wrexham, Wales.
    http://www.cefnpark.co.uk/history/

Brilliant picture. If only! Was there any other like Kenure destroyed ?

I remember a pathway in the Bawn that went from Cosgroves chip shop down to near Annie Larkin's house.
    I think it was called Tubby Path. Anyone know if its still there or open ? There use to be a house a short way down on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cosgroves Chipper

no longer there

I remember a pathway in the Bawn that went from Cosgroves chip shop down to near Annie Larkin's house.
    I think it was called Tubby Path. Anyone know if its still there or open ? There use to be a house a short way down on the left.

Is it named after a regular customer:D or the well?

ha ha - not sure - will find out though! Was asking my Dad and Mam about it today and they said part of of the path is still there but no longer goes all the way down to the beach. As with many of the old walk ways and right of ways in Rush - many are gone forever due to all the building. I am starting to read up on local history of Rush and into a family tree of the Cosgrove family. One thing that has caught my attention is St.Cuanne / St.Cuanna. I gave my son the second name of Cúna - it seems that I got the spelling wrong but am glad it has a connection to Rush!! Was wondering if anyone has any info???? I found this - http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/the-headland-of-the-yew-trees-27795445.html

Martron wrote: »
    this is great. i have flicked through it but this is very fascinting.

on the subject of engelbert humperdink.

i heard johnny cash played in rush once, i could be imaging this though

My Dad sayes Johnny Cash did play.

• Advertisement

sashasdad wrote: »
    great thread, really interesting stuff. i've been using the griffith valuation while researching my family tree and i thought i'd post the link here for anyone interested in looking up the records of tenants of the palmer family.
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

Thats a great link - found the Cluskers (Cosgroves)

Advertisement