Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Could well have been Kearns sausages. My father delivered out to Rush on a regular basis for them. They were certainly a different sausage back then. They were independently owned at the time. They were since bought out by Olhausen who have now gone out of business, so dont know who is producing them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Rogue_IRL wrote: »
    They may well have been Kearn's sausages LeoB, but if so Kearn's sausages now are nothing like what these were.

Meant to add too, the little ice cream parlour was defo up past the fork in the road at the anchor, on the left towards the harbour, somewhere fairly near The Carlyan or maybe just past it. It might be a bad description to call it an ice-cream parlour maybe, I just remember that it was tiny and they did a savage knickerbocker glory or banana boat, might've done other food besides. It didn't last that long though because it just appeared one summer, when I went back the following summer it was gone.

Doyle's shop, that was it.

Is the place on O'Connell St. Dr. Quirky's ? If so I used to spend many the hour in there playing snooker & pool after work in Irish Life.

Think you mean Dolly McGee's shop , beside where garden of Eden is now ( used to live there when I was a pup)
    Dolly was great - I remember her fondly , not sure if Maureen her daughter still lives there?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

They may well have been Kearn's sausages LeoB, but if so Kearn's sausages now are nothing like what these were.

Meant to add too, the little ice cream parlour was defo up past the fork in the road at the anchor, on the left towards the harbour, somewhere fairly near The Carlyan or maybe just past it. It might be a bad description to call it an ice-cream parlour maybe, I just remember that it was tiny and they did a savage knickerbocker glory or banana boat, might've done other food besides. It didn't last that long though because it just appeared one summer, when I went back the following summer it was gone.

Is the place on O'Connell St. Dr. Quirky's ? If so I used to spend many the hour in there playing snooker & pool after work in Irish Life.

Probably Square 1 Soda bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rogue_IRL

Yes, thank you SmallBalls, that is certainly ringing a bell. And a soda bar probably best describes what little I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Artist83

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I stumbled across this interesting extract from the Dail. As Rush and North Dublin was the centre of market gardening in Ireland it attracted talented growers from abroad who later became Irish citizens. The date under there profession is there date of entry into the state.

I wonder does anyone know about the history of Dutch farmers coming over to farm in Fingal? I vaguely remember hearing in school that the early Irish state paid them to come over and teach Irish farmers about intensive market gardening (tomatoes in glass houses etc.). There still is a Dutch sound to a lot of farmers surnames in Rush/Lusk. Would be interesting to know more. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Artist83 wrote: »
    I wonder does anyone know about the history of Dutch farmers coming over to farm in Fingal? I vaguely remember hearing in school that the early Irish state paid them to come over and teach Irish farmers about intensive market gardening (tomatoes in glass houses etc.). There still is a Dutch sound to a lot of farmers surnames in Rush/Lusk. Would be interesting to know more. Thanks!

I read somewhere recently that Dutch Farmers had occupied Swords Castle at some stage and used it as a Market Garden and rebuilt some of it. I think it was the Archaeological Survey of the Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Artist83 wrote: »

Some came in 1900s, around WW2 or just before it and some before that also and their families are still growers.

Ruigroks came from Hillegom in Holland and Amerlyncks from Belgium. Ruigroks are one of the top flower growers in Ireland. Amerlyncks dont grow now. There are other growers around Fingal I heard about. I think they influenced the glasshouse growers. Rush was well know for horticulture long before 1900s. People lived on small holdings back then growing all their own food and produce for the markets.

Ruigroks were massive and Rush had 3 large farms of them and William, John and Adrian while Walter was out near Baldungan. I wouldnt know much about farming but they were all very successful

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Reamonnt

Thanks for this interesting thread about Rush. As a blow in who moved here in 2003 its great to be able to get a sense of the history of the place and it appears the changes in the last 20 years have been immense. Has there been a book released on the history of Rush as it appears there is plenty of material for a local history book?

Reamonnt wrote: »
    Thanks for this interesting thread about Rush. As a blow in who moved here in 2003 its great to be able to get a sense of the history of the place and it appears the changes in the last 20 years have been immense. Has there been a book released on the history of Rush as it appears there is plenty of material for a local history book?

Was I talking to you today on my rounds? There was a book a number of years ago from ICA. If I can get my hands on one will drop it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Reamonnt

Thanks Leo, I would appreciate that if you have a chance.

• Advertisement

Doyles shop was on the Channel rd CLOSED IN 1990s. There was Prices shop on Lr Main st, closed in 1980 Follenus shop closed in late 70s and Dollys shop that replaced it closed in 1990s.
    shooter69 wrote: »
    Think you mean Dolly McGee's shop , beside where garden of Eden is now ( used to live there when I was a pup)
    Dolly was great - I remember her fondly , not sure if Maureen her daughter still lives there?
    Dolly is still going strong. You would never get a better neighbour.
    SmallBalls wrote: »
    Probably Square 1 Soda bar...
    What year are we talking?

I remember BV Butterlys, Reynolds shop, Rush electrical centre and Fayre on the Square a good spot for a bit of grub is the last I remember there. For non locals this premises was right beside the Gym on the square. There are 2 houses there now 226 and 227. Actually where the Gym is was Traynor motors when I was child and later Armstrongs garage. Shops down this end of the town just didnt last. People wanted the bigger shops and long hours and not a lot of money made it a hard earned living.
    The building where 226 and 227 was used in a film "Bloody Sunday" or "Some mothers son". Think I met Ivan Cooper at the square, he was heavily involved in the Bloody Sunday movie, (James Nesbitt played him in movie) and involved in peace movement and civil rights march that was attacked.

Back much further I remember Jenny McCrudden with a summer shop down at the harbour. That was when there was bus loads coming to Rush on a Sunday maybe 10-15 buses all parked at the park. Before Freddie Lakker and his cheap holidays.

We used to love it as we would collect their mineral bottles and bring them to the shop and get 1 or 2p for each. You would have enough for a sherbert fizz and a few bits. Was the sun always shining?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Hi All,

I'm looking for any Photos of Nicholas Bollard, the only one I have is the one of him with the 1951 winning St Maurs team that's hanging in the club house. He lived in Rogerstown and died around 1960.

Thanks ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

LeoB wrote: »
    What year are we talking?

I remember BV Butterlys, Reynolds shop, Rush electrical centre and Fayre on the Square a good spot for a bit of grub is the last I remember there.

I'd say 93/94, I think a Dennis from Lusk had something to do with it....kids from St. Joseph's used to head down for a plate of chips etc. at lunchtime. Possibly Fayre on the Square after that.
    Back much further I remember Jenny McCrudden with a summer shop down at the harbour.

Siopa Beag?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    I'd say 93/94, I think a Dennis from Lusk had something to do with it....kids from St. Joseph's used to head down for a plate of chips etc. at lunchtime. Possibly Fayre on the Square after that.

Siopa Beag?

No Jenny from what I remember had a shop at side of her house. I would say 1970/71. The Siopa beag might have been at side of Bridie Devines house. I remember it from the late 80s.

ChewyLewy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking for any Photos of Nicholas Bollard, the only one I have is the one of him with the 1951 winning St Maurs team that's hanging in the club house. He lived in Rogerstown and died around 1960.

Thanks ☺

Was his wife Margaret? Id say get in touch with any of the Bollards from Channel rd. Robin Bollard is very knowledgeable on his family. I dont remember his name. The team from 1950/51/52/ that won the championship had Tony Bollard,, Malachy Bollard, Jimmy Bollard and Mickey Bollard. There are only 2 of that team still alive from 67 years ago, Niall Weldon and Jimmy Butterly

Id say if you could speak to Seamus Clerkin you would be pointed in the right direction or Tubber Ryan.

Was his wife Margaret? Id say get in touch with any of the Bollards from Channel rd. Robin Bollard is very knowledgeable on his family. I dont remember his name. The team from 1950/51/52/ that won the championship had Tony Bollard,, Malachy Bollard, Jimmy Bollard and Mickey Bollard. From what I can make out there are only 3 of that team still alive from 67 years ago, Niall Weldon, Seamus Clerkin and Jimmy Butterly

Id say if you could speak to Seamus Clerkin you would be pointed in the right direction or Tubber Ryan.

Actually even though I pointed you in the direction of Seamus Clerkin I forgot he was actually on that panel until I was reminded today:o

I met someone this evening and we were chatting about this thread. I went reading through it and these 2 quoted posts deserve a reply
    shooter69 wrote: »

Sadly Maureen passed away last May after an illness. A lovely girl taken quite young. Dolly moved to Channel rd to be with Maureen and stayed in Channel rd. A great neighbour and friend to us growing up.

Thanks Pacj, Mum turned 70 years old at the weekend. Nobody could believe it..but I'm afraid it's my sister who has her good looks. The memory of Tosh is still very present for us and Martin too of course. Peggy still lives not too far away. We ourselves are closer to Newry but on a journey to Dublin for the funeral of a friend the Funeral directors of whom I was asking directions knew the Kane family and so it was lovely. Thanks again and I'll be sure to check in photos!

Only last week I was at Jimmy Kane's funeral and met Nancy, Patrick and Peggy? Had a good chat with Peggy and her husband. I dont remember them but recognised Patrick and knew one of Jimmys nieces. Jimmy was a great character. Kept to himself and bothered no one. Jimmy would be off on his bike with the dog trotting behind him. Jimmy enjoyed the old westerns and Marty Robins singing, Everyone knew Jimmy and he would always have a word. Quietly spoken he worked for a few farmers around the town and was well known in the local shops.

As always a few yarns were told, some very funny and apparently Jimmy was great shot with a rifle, as he said one day, "I have an eye a hawk would be proud of".

Rest in peace 2 lovely people

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Lambe or Lamb is an old Rush name. The "E" seems to come and go over the generations. The Griffith Valuation from circa 1848 lists 8 entries for the surname of Lamb in the Parish of Lusk, Rush was still part of the Lusk parish at that time.

Link for Griffith Valuation Lamb Records

Two members of your family are listed on David Snook excellent IrishMariners.ie site.

Irishmariners.ie

Also listed is another Lambe from Rush.

For more info you might try St Maurs CC who should have marriage records.

This would of been William Lambe, married Mary Catherine Leonard of the Bawn in Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Does anyone know about the building on Beau Hill?
    It looks relatively new(ish) but burnt out / abandoned.

Does anyone remember it being operational?

Who owns / owned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Does anyone know about the building on Beau Hill?
    It looks relatively new(ish) but burnt out / abandoned.

Does anyone remember it being operational?

Who owns / owned it?
    Are you referring to the old corn mill at the junction with Spout Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Are you referring to the old corn mill at the junction with Spout Road?

Yes, that’s it.

Does anyone know when it ceased operation? Or who owned/ owns it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Yes, that’s it.

Does anyone know when it ceased operation? Or who owned/ owns it now?
    I've no idea who owns it. It was going through gradual refurbishments a few years ago but don't think it was ever finished. It appears on the old OS maps as 'Corn Mill'. There's a large house (Whitestown House) behind it but hidden from view. Perhaps the same owner?

I've no idea who owns it. It was going through gradual refurbishments a few years ago but don't think it was ever finished. It appears on the old OS maps as 'Corn Mill'. There's a large house (Whitestown House) behind it but hidden from view. Perhaps the same owner?

A refurbishment started a few years ago on the mill. I dont know where the work is at now but it was been done by the owner. He lives in Whitestown house which is behind it, a fine house bulit in around 1800. There is also a working farm up the lane beside it. Frank Flannagan is the current owner and has been there for about 30 years.

I was in the Mill a few years ago and it is quite intact. The roof is in good repair so that has been a blessing for the owners. I spotted a few names etched into the walls that I knew. It was a place lads often went when mitching from school.

Originally the family who owned that I heard were smugglers, Rickards were their name who also owned a house down at the harbour (Tower street end). From the mill you could see right down Rogerstown eastuary so this gave the family a full view of the Irish sea from Howth uo past the islands and Rockabill

Any relation of Mick Kane who was captain of Rush Golf club in 1996 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

The year was 1963.

The year was 1963..... Oh what a night....

A great venue for dances back in the day and later teen discos.

Would anyone have a history of Kanes in the area ? Did they come Swords/Malahide area in the 1800s ?

There were differnt families of Kanes when I was growing up.

Joe Kane was school principle of Rush national school. He lived at the square/Bawn rd junction. The house with the steps up to it.

Tom "Dixie" Kane lived on Hands lane.

There were Kanes in Hayestown also. Jimmy was a great character who died about 4 years ago. I dont know if any of the families were related

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sissy32

Hi

Jimmy was my Uncle and yes related to the school master.

Jimmy's home house was at Old Road Rush. He lived there with his family including my mother, Nancy (Anne) until the thatch needing replacing. Sadly that never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Andrea211

Hello happy to see this tread. Wonder if any one knew Frank/Mai hand. They lived in 49 quay street? They reared my mam her name was Shiela/Mona. She was put into care and they took her in. They were not relatives, I think friends of my aunty Shiela O Brien. Frank and Mai are buried in same plot as Peggy gosson. I remember being in Peggy's house at very young age, had the caravan out the back? lived on main street across from church? Was there a connection with them or just friends? Did anyone know my mother also. She would have lived in skerries up until 18 years old. She passed away 25 years ago.

Advertisement