Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

DeValera Ireland, every village and town was the same and the institutions were interconnected. Just look at the GAA stars over the years elected to the Dail or priests that served on GAA Boards. Even many GAA Club catchment areas are based on CC parish boundaries. Actually I don't think much has changed except the weakening of the Church influence. Brogans already touted as FG TDs of the future. .
    This has served the GAA well. It was no harm either that there were links between the church and any sports body, the I.R.F.U done ok from it also, Blackrock, Rockwell, and a host of other upper class schools while the GAA made do with more working class schools and a few well healed schools also. We have a lot of grounds named after clerics and some clubs also. Rightfull so as there were a lot of very good men in the religious orders also.

Rush have had some great priests over the years and some good local men are priests, Fr Doyle, Fr Sheridan, Fr Collins, Fr Halpin I have met on many occasions and all in my eyes are exceptional people.

The Convent on Convent Lane which use to be Post Office Lane before then. There was a well know case of the Church clashing with the Church in Rush when a very popular PP was reported by the local Sisters of Mercy to the bishop. Part of this man's popularity was due to having claim to one of the fastest mass times ever know. He was much too busy minding his cattle to be distracted by long masses and sermons and his bad leg may have added to that. For some strange reason his mass was always the most packed in the days everyone had to attend mass. The Nuns reported the poor man to his Bishop on the charge that he was not saying Mass correctly. They seem to be of the opinion that mass should be a physical challenge and involve some suffering for the mass goers. Fortunately for the priest the nuns seemed to have put the Bishops nose out of joint because his reaction was to ask them had the PP left any of the important parts of the service out which he had not. So charges were dropped and the PP would be know to hop in the opposite direction in the Main St from the Nuns who he couldn't stand.

The same priest main passion in life was to attend to his cattle which he kept were the new Church is, he would "borrow" fodder from the local farmers with no intention of returning it of course. Perhaps this constant interaction with the local community also made him more approachable and endeared him to the greater community who would have little contact with priests outside births, deaths and marriage. Every year some cattle would go to auction and the proceeds would go to charity.

He even had a pub named after him. Left Rush for Rolestown if I remember correctly. Some of the nuns were notorious. Some just as bad as some of the priests and brothers who have been convicted but again there have been some good women totally devoted to their life in the convents. As far as I know there are none teaching in Rush at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

GreenLady wrote: »
    Which PP was that? - before my time anyway. When we moved to Rush the PP was an amazing rose grower and the parochial house had the most lovely roses in the garden. He was very old. The garden was destroyed to make way for the new church of course

Fr Curtis I believe, use to also have a pet monkey. Sadly not remembered so fondly as Fr Shine because before he left to go to a richer parish he told the people of Rush what he really thought about them warts and all.

Fr Curtis I believe, use to also have a pet monkey. Sadly not remembered so fondly as Fr Shine because before he left to go to a richer parish he told the people of Rush what he really thought about them warts and all.

And sadly and most likely noone could tell what they thought of him. People of my generation really dont realise the power some of them wielded. I only ever had a run in with one cleric who on his second day in town closed the youth club which was in the old library building long since demolished which was just inside the church grounds along the Whitestown Rd.

There were some great nights in there. I remember the scouts having a parents night there and it was brilliant. Rush Judo club was based there also. Must be gone 25-30years. I dont remember it as a library. Does anyone here remember?

GreenLady wrote: »
    Which PP was that? - before my time anyway. When we moved to Rush the PP was an amazing rose grower and the parochial house had the most lovely roses in the garden. He was very old. The garden was destroyed to make way for the new church of course

Were the roses not beloning to Fr Donoghue and his housekeeper Kitty Nolan. Kitty only passed away a few years ago. Fr Donoghue died in the early 80s and kitty about 8-10years ago. A very nice lady. Is the alter in the church the new alter dedicated to Fr Donoghue when he retired? His headstone is about 20 yards into Whitestown cemetary on you right hand side. Not that I spend time looking for people out there but just saw it yesterday

For non natives or newer people to the town the old Parochial house opposite where the Park Rd is. The old gate into it is just beside the Garda Station with an An Post postbox on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

LeoB wrote: »
    Were the roses not beloning to Fr Donoghue and his housekeeper Kitty Nolan. Kitty only passed away a few years ago. Fr Donoghue died in the early 80s and kitty about 8-10years ago. A very nice lady. Is the alter in the church the new alter dedicated to Fr Donoghue when he retired? His headstone is about 20 yards into Whitestown cemetary on you right hand side. Not that I spend time looking for people out there but just saw it yesterday

For non natives or newer people to the town the old Parochial house opposite where the Park Rd is. The old gate into it is just beside the Garda Station with an An Post postbox on the wall.

Thanks for that..I get completly lost at times with local jargon for locations in Rush, though I love reading this thread.

• Advertisement

ceadnus wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for all that. I didn't realise such well known bands played in the Cradle Rock. I have memories of the Posers playing there..

The Posers are back for a one off gig in Garristown on 11th of August. Which I suspect will be a sellout as they had a massive following back 15-20 years ago

At a match last night in Garristown and one of the locals was telling me its a fundraiser for Garristown G.A.A. club. I had forgot Fintan Morrison who I played against many times played with Garristown and the Posers.

Contact Garristown GFC for futher info.

dubsontour wrote: »
    Thanks for that..I get completly lost at times with local jargon for locations in Rush, though I love reading this thread.

Blowin myself, family only here 130 odd years only, do LeoB is a self confessed half Skerries blow in so he is even worse:D

Perhaps we should do a brief guide to what the area looked like in the past and were the area names came from.

Hand Park- park by the harbour where the toilets are(across from Harbour Bar)- old coast guard station that was burnt down by the IRA use to be situated there.

Hayestown- mainly built in the 1940s-1950s, called little Korea at the time because the new residents were from Liberties and caused the country Garda some bother and the Korean War was in full swing. A little know fact was that the later building in Hayestown was done bythe O'Carroll family of Missus Brown Boys O'Carroll fame.

Gates to Kenure- Kenure had three gates, the main one at the woods,second at Kenure were the football pitch is and the 3rd was at the back of Hayestown if you follow Martins Lane there.

Convent Lane- called after the Sisters of Mercy Convent across from the school which started as a girls secondary school which in the late 80s admitted males. Originally called Post Office Lane as the Post Office was at the top (harbour side) of the lane.

Parochcial House- as LeoB said across from Kenure Woods entrance and beside the closed Garda station. There use to be a field between the Parochial House and the old St Maurs church that the priests used,some for cattle which later became the site of the new church. Right of way still exists between the carpark and Whitestown road.

Channel Road- follows the Rogerstown channel, the main Good Old Days Holiday camp site was on the road,and the remainder was on Sundrive Road(Lane below).

Girls School- Rush Community Centre and also doubled as Church(PE hall in Secondary school too) when the new church was under construction.

Boys School- green across from Prices Store, later became the local library then knocked down.

Palladium- old dance hall behind the flats beside the Carlyan, was the main dancehall.

Townhall- behind Birds of Paradise which use to be called Rats when it was an amusement arcade

Ulster Bank- Hickeys pharmacy

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Thanks very much for that.. Great discription of locations. When I came here first my neighbour said "oh get on the bus at the barracks".. Cue "Dougal" stare..:D:D... now when new people ask me I'll be like "the Garda station"..And they will be just as confused as me.

Blowin myself, family only here 130 odd years only, do LeoB is a self confessed half Skerries blow in so he is even worse:D
    Now you are taking the mick. While my late mother always claimed to be a Skerries native she was actually born in New Ross Co. Wexford. I can go low when I need to but never that low;)
    Perhaps we should do a brief guide to what the area looked like in the past and were the area names came from.

Hand Park- park by the harbour where the toilets are(across from Harbour Bar)- old coast guard station that was burnt down by the IRA use to be situated there.

Hayestown- mainly built in the 1940s-1950s, called little Korea at the time because the new residents were from Liberties and caused the country Garda some bother and the Korean War was in full swing. A little know fact was that the later building in Hayestown was done bythe O'Carroll family of Missus Brown Boys O'Carroll fame.

Gates to Kenure- Kenure had three gates, the main one at the woods,second at Kenure were the football pitch is and the 3rd was at the back of Hayestown if you follow Martins Lane there.

Convent Lane- called after the Sisters of Mercy Convent across from the school which started as a girls secondary school which in the late 80s admitted males. Originally called Post Office Lane as the Post Office was at the top (harbour side) of the lane.

Parochcial House- as LeoB said across from Kenure Woods entrance and beside the closed Garda station. There use to be a field between the Parochial House and the old St Maurs church that the priests used,some for cattle which later became the site of the new church. Right of way still exists between the carpark and Whitestown road.

Channel Road- follows the Rogerstown channel, the main Good Old Days Holiday camp site was on the road,and the remainder was on Sundrive Road(Lane below).

Girls School- Rush Community Centre and also doubled as Church(PE hall in Secondary school too) when the new church was under construction.

Boys School- green across from Prices Store, later became the local library then knocked down.

Palladium- old dance hall behind the flats beside the Carlyan, was the main dancehall.

Townhall- behind Birds of Paradise which use to be called Rats when it was an amusement arcade

Ulster Bank- Hickeys pharmacy

Boys school I only remember that as C.Y.M.S but I did spend a year there in 4th or 5th class

Ulster Bank, I remember that as Northern Bank.

Other local place names
    Hole in the wall was out the Whitestown Rd at Springfield House or at the Bus stop after Centra as you leave Rush. A block wall with one block missing. It was the last checkpoint on the St. Maurs bicycle rally last held about 25 - 30 years ago

Dempseys Corner is the Junction dividing Upper Main St and Sandy Rd. That was the meeting point for St. Maurs for all away games when I was growing up.

Farrens Lane - Bissetts lane - Brook lane, These are all the same lane but referred to families who lived there at various times over the years. These address are still in use but the new families call it Brook lane. Its opposite Eurospar

The cow hole Bend on Crescent Rd

Kings Gap out Skerries Rd near Kenure woods

The Lays Up at the back of Hayestown

Boggy Lane some say Park Rd and some say the lane at front of Brookford

Kearneys bottoms, fields over at cliffs. Each little bay between the cliffs on North beach and Drummanagh has a name, Kearneys bottoms, Ladycove, Brooksend The roaring well

The Mash, Fields between Beau Hill and Rogerstown estuary

The long hollow Field in Rogerstown in front of Coastguard station. The Irish glass bottle company use to get sand from there.

Coopers bank, Lane at side of Hacketts butchers

The slip, Just after Harbour bar on way to Harbour

The Green and The Cross between Dempseys corner and where the pet shop is

The Crows Nest. A good fishing point behind Dr. Cusacks in the Hand Park. There is a gap in wall at bottom of Tower Street with a narrow path and this path takes you down.

The rocks on North beach are know as Big Kate and Little Kate and the big rock at back of Harbour is the Bull Rock.
    dubsontour wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that.. Great discription of locations. When I came here first my neighbour said "oh get on the bus at the barracks".. Cue "Dougal" stare..:D:D... now when new people ask me I'll be like "the Garda station"..And they will be just as confused as me.

Ask anyone with a few pints on board and they will also give you that "Dougal" look when asked about some local spots. Very few would know them all as when some fields were given up for building the names went with them. Fields had and ground had a reputation for being early ground or good rich soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Jones' land? I did not know that. I wonder where it got that name from.

• Advertisement

catch--22 wrote: »
    Jones' land? I did not know that. I wonder where it got that name from.

Well I always knew the River there as the Mash and those fields on the estuary side would often become a flood plain on high tide during a particularly bad spell of rain. So I assume the fields get there name from the River. Pure speculation on my part but the Mash may get its name from the old corn mill, the river would have driven the wheel that ground the grains and Mash is the term for a mixture of ground grain and nutrients fed to livestock and fowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ceadnus

Does anyone know when Liam Butterly of the Goood Old Days exhibition fame, died where he's buried and is there any photo of him on the internet in his exhibiton or anywhere else.

Now you are taking the mick. While my late mother always claimed to be a Skerries native she was actually born in New Ross Co. Wexford. I can go low when I need to but never that low;)

Boys school I only remember that as C.Y.M.S but I did spend a year there in 4th or 5th class

Ulster Bank, I remember that as Northern Bank.

Other local place names
    Hole in the wall was out the Whitestown Rd at Springfield House or at the Bus stop after Centra as you leave Rush. A block wall with one block missing. It was the last checkpoint on the St. Maurs bicycle rally last held about 25 - 30 years ago

Dempseys Corner is the Junction dividing Upper Main St and Sandy Rd. That was the meeting point for St. Maurs for all away games when I was growing up.

Farrens Lane - Bissetts lane - Brook lane, These are all the same lane but referred to families who lived there at various times over the years. These address are still in use but the new families call it Brook lane. Its opposite Eurospar

The cow hole Bend on Crescent Rd

Kings Gap out Skerries Rd near Kenure woods

The Lays Up at the back of Hayestown

Boggy Lane some say Park Rd and some say the lane at front of Brookford

Kearneys bottoms, fields over at cliffs. Each little bay between the cliffs on North beach and Drummanagh has a name, Kearneys bottoms, Ladycove, Brooksend The roaring well

The long hollow Field in Rogerstown in front of Coastguard station. The Irish glass bottle company use to get sand from there.

Coopers bank, Lane at side of Hacketts butchers

The slip, Just after Harbour bar on way to Harbour

The Green and The Cross between Dempseys corner and where the pet shop is

The Crows Nest. A good fishing point behind Dr. Cusacks in the Hand Park. There is a gap in wall at bottom of Tower Street with a narrow path and this path takes you down.

The rocks on North beach are know as Big Kate and Little Kate and the big rock at back of Harbour is the Bull Rock.

Ask anyone with a few pints on board and they will also give you that "Dougal" look when asked about some local spots. Very few would know them all as when some fields were given up for building the names went with them. Fields had and ground had a reputation for being early ground or good rich soil.

A few more to add.

Some spellings might be wrong

Lough Neagh- across from Lambay View, near were there use to a Dump.

Flag Lane- off Brook Lane, called flag because of the large stone used to cross the Brook.

Flithies- just off Flag Lane towards Park Rd direction.

The Bog= fields off Healys Lane near Ace Produce- soil is darker/boggy.

The Dromens- fields on Whitestown Rd on left approaching the town across from Ace Produce.

Does anyone know when Liam Butterly of The Good Old Days exhibition fame, died and where he's buried. Are there any pictures of him on the internet.

Does anyone know when Liam Butterly of The Good Old Days exhibition fame, died and where he's buried. Are there any pictures of him on the internet.

He must have really made an impression on you that most of your posts are about him, his death, his burial place or his daughters:D I recommend you set up a Facebook account if you don't have one and try the Rush Needs You Facebook page. Also try your local library as they will have access to old newspaper archives online. If your near the Illac Library they use to have a paper file of old newspaper cuttings on Rush, might be something useful to you.

A few more to add.

Some spellings might be wrong

Lough Neagh- across from Lambay View, near were there use to a Dump.

Flag Lane- off Brook Lane, called flag because of the large stone used to cross the Brook.

Flithies- just off Flag Lane towards Park Rd direction.

The Bog= fields off Healys Lane near Ace Produce- soil is darker/boggy.

The Dromens- fields on Whitestown Rd on left approaching the town across from Ace Produce.

Would not dreams of correcting your spellings. However The Dromens I would call the Drummonds. Some pronounce it as you spell it. I know Flag lane but never heard of the others. You would probably find some older people would still use these names.

Remembering some bits I heard recently of the old CYMS hall. I was told a man was not pleased with how his son was being treated, he had got a right few slaps. So the man went up in a bit of temper and hung the teacher behind the door on a hanger. The kids got someone in from the street to get him down. I know all parties involved and it was confirmed by a participant:D. I nearly wet myself laughing when I heard this last year and again when someone else brought it up.

There are probably a few here who remember Hudsons carnival on Sandy Rd where Bayside Villas is now built, between Sandy lane and Credit union. Some good yarns came out of there.

Thanks for that. I think The good old days exhibition did make a big impression on me. I spoke to Liam once on the phone and he told me all the trouble he went to put the exhibition together. Kenure House was another place which caught my imagination. Liam told me he orginally intended to put the exhibition in Kenure House when he got it repaired first. It didn't happen. Pity it's all gone and that future generations will not see the exhibition or Kenure House. There is a site on the internet called Findagrave and I thought it would be nice to put a mention of him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Would not dreams of correcting your spellings. However The Dromens I would call the Drummonds. Some pronounce it as you spell it. I know Flag lane but never heard of the others. You would probably find some older people would still use these names.

There are probably a few here who remember Hudsons carnival on Sandy Rd where Bayside Villas is now built, between Sandy lane and Credit union. Some good yarns came out of there.

Now that brings back a few memories, Hudson's Carnival. Bumper cars, a rifle range, throwing a ring over a bottle.

For a teenager, with hormones raging it was the place to be:)

What about Tideway Cinema, across the road from the Carnival, got my first snog there, and my second, third, I'll stop there.

Owned by Marie Keane, the actress, her son John Mulvey, a solicitor used to visit Rush once a week, to hold clinics for his clients, in the house across from the Community Centre, which is where Marie lived.
    She told me a story that Peter O'Toole used to visit her in Rush, and he drank in Joe Walshe's Pub around the corner, the locals, paid no heed to his presence, despite his fame, and that he welcomed the ability to have a pint in peace.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Now that brings back a few memories, Hudson's Carnival. Bumper cars, a rifle range, throwing a ring over a bottle.

For a teenager, with hormones raging it was the place to be:)

What about Tideway Cinema, across the road from the Carnival, got my first snog there, and my second, third, I'll stop there.

Owned by Marie Keane, the actress, her son John Mulvey, a solicitor used to visit Rush once a week, to hold clinics for his clients, in the house across from the Community Centre, which is where Marie lived.
    She told me a story that Peter O'Toole used to visit her in Rush, and he drank in Joe Walshe's Pub around the corner, the locals, paid no heed to his presence, despite his fame, and that he welcomed the ability to have a pint in peace.

Hudsons carnival was great crack. All the teengers would fill that place on the weekend when they got their money for picking tomatoes or Spuds.

I remember Marie quite well and saw her on the Abbey stage when I was about 15 or 16. Strange to hand her her Post the following week. The last film I saw in the tideway was "Diamonds are forever". There were quite a few famous people frequented Walsh's pub. Godfrey Quigley was another regular to Rush, his sister lived in Rush, Peter Bowles (Irish RM) some of which was shot in Rush. I heard many years ago Mick Jagger had a few pints in the Harbour bar. With very little TV back then a lot of these stars would not have been recognised. Walsh's pub I believe also had visits from footballers Mark Kennedy, Robbie Keane and a few other Irish footballers over the years. I remember seeing Liam Brady and Frank Stapleton in Rush. Pat Jennings playing golf in Rush GC. I wonder if Christopher Lee wandered around when Fu Mans Shu was made in Kenure.

I think you will find around Ireland there are plenty of big scren stars mingling about at their ease because they wont get hassled by locals.

There was a famous incident in a local pub back in 1973/74 when Cathal Goulding and a few others were having pint when 2 special branch men walked in. Goulding, a leading I.R.A. man was wanted at the time. There was a stand-off and the special branch men left. Goulding used to stay locally regularly. That night he moved and was stopped a check point and waved through after showing his licence, His licence was in Irish and between the dark night and tension the Guard just moved him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hudsons carnival was great crack. All the teengers would fill that place on the weekend when they got their money for picking tomatoes or Spuds.

for me it was picking bulbs for Adrian Rugrock, £10 a week,
    I remember Marie quite well and saw her on the Abbey stage when I was about 15 or 16. Strange to hand her her Post the following week. The last film I saw in the tideway was "Diamonds are forever". There were quite a few famous people frequented Walsh's pub. Godfrey Quigley was another regular to Rush, his sister lived in Rush, Peter Bowles (Irish RM) some of which was shot in Rush. I heard many years ago Mick Jagger had a few pints in the Harbour bar. With very little TV back then a lot of these stars would not have been recognised.
    I wonder if Christopher Lee wandered around when Fu Mans Shu was made in Kenure.

I think you will find around Ireland there are plenty of big scren stars mingling about at their ease because they wont get hassled by locals.

Other films made in Kenure House,

Rocket to the Moon,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne's_Rocket_to_the_Moon

Burl Ives, Lionel Jeffreys, Dennis Price.

And Ten Little Indians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Little_Indians_(1965_film)

in which, Shirley Eaton, get's her kit off, unusual for a film made in 60's.
    also starring Fabian, Dennis Price, and Stanley Holloway, any sightings of these LeoB:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I think The good old days exhibition did make a big impression on me. I spoke to Liam once on the phone and he told me all the trouble he went to put the exhibition together. Kenure House was another place which caught my imagination. Liam told me he orginally intended to put the exhibition in Kenure House when he got it repaired first. It didn't happen. Pity it's all gone and that future generations will not see the exhibition or Kenure House. There is a site on the internet called Findagrave and I thought it would be nice to put a mention of him on it.

Yeah I know the site but it hasn't many deaths recorded after 1970s, less historical interest I imagine. Have you visited the graveyard yet yourself? Lovely sunny evening to go for a stroll around the graveyard.

I remember Marie quite well and saw her on the Abbey stage when I was about 15 or 16. Strange to hand her her Post the following week. The last film I saw in the tideway was "Diamonds are forever". There were quite a few famous people frequented Walsh's pub. Godfrey Quigley was another regular to Rush, his sister lived in Rush, Peter Bowles (Irish RM) some of which was shot in Rush. I heard many years ago Mick Jagger had a few pints in the Harbour bar. With very little TV back then a lot of these stars would not have been recognised. Walsh's pub I believe also had visits from footballers Mark Kennedy, Robbie Keane and a few other Irish footballers over the years. I remember seeing Liam Brady and Frank Stapleton in Rush. Pat Jennings playing golf in Rush GC. I wonder if Christopher Lee wandered around when Fu Mans Shu was made in Kenure.

There was a famous incident in a local pub back in 1973/74 when Cathal Goulding and a few others were having pint when 2 special branch men walked in. Goulding, a leading I.R.A. man was wanted at the time. There was a stand-off and the special branch men left. Goulding used to stay locally regularly. That night he moved and was stopped a check point and waved through after showing his licence, His licence was in Irish and between the dark night and tension the Guard just moved him on.

Brendan Behan too lived on Hands Lane for the summer as mentioned in this thread before. Rush Golf Club use to have a Charity Golf Day in the 1980s I think, many of the sports stars you mentioned attended and others like Ian St John etc. I know they produced a guide/ event programme, perhaps someone associated with the club has one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomcaulf

Hi All,

Interesting to come across this site.

Is there a local historical society or family history group in the area? I would be interested in finding out more information about my family.

My great-great-great-grandfather was Plunkett Carey (born c1810 and who lived and died in Rush in 1866). At different stages he was a mariner, Under-Agent for Sir Roger Palmer, postmaster and farmer. He played an active role in helping the survivors of the 'John Tayleur' shipwreck in 1854. See link below

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/johntayleur.html

His first marriage was to Hannah Sanford (1810 to 1847) in 1831. His second marriage in 1848 was to Ellen Booker. He had at least seven children from his first marriage that I am aware of - all born in Rush. Margaret (1832), Sarah (1833), Elizabeth (1836), Francis (1837), Alice (1839), Hannah (1844), James (1846) and possibly a Plunkett. The family were Church Of Ireland. The first three girls and Hannah all emigrated to Victoria in Australia. At this stage I have no idea what happened to the other children. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

One of Margaret's great grandchildren was the wife of John Curtin, Australia's Prime Minister during World War 2.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers,

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kateoncapecod

I am hoping that someone out there can help me trace some ancestors from Rush. My 4th great Grandparents were Nicholas Leonard (1784-1868)and Eleanor Kane Leonard (1779-1843) both born and died in Rush. There is a headstone erected to them in Whitestown Cemetery that was erected by their son Christopher Leonard of Boston, Massachusetts. At least 4 of their sons (William, Nicholas, Christopher and Richard) emigrated to Boston, 3 of whom were in the fishing business. Nicholas and Eleanor's granddaughter Ellen Leonard was my great grandmother. She was born in Rush in 1843. She married John Fulham of Portrane at St Maur's in 1864 before emigrating to Boston. I am hopeful that one of the Leonard branches still in Rush might trace their line back to Nicholas and Eleanor and/ or be able to tell me a bit about any of the Leonards as I'm sure we are all related if we go back far enough.

I am hoping that someone out there can help me trace some ancestors from Rush. My 4th great Grandparents were Nicholas Leonard (1784-1868)and Eleanor Kane Leonard (1779-1843) both born and died in Rush. There is a headstone erected to them in Whitestown Cemetery that was erected by their son Christopher Leonard of Boston, Massachusetts. At least 4 of their sons (William, Nicholas, Christopher and Richard) emigrated to Boston, 3 of whom were in the fishing business. Nicholas and Eleanor's granddaughter Ellen Leonard was my great grandmother. She was born in Rush in 1843. She married John Fulham of Portrane at St Maur's in 1864 before emigrating to Boston. I am hopeful that one of the Leonard branches still in Rush might trace their line back to Nicholas and Eleanor and/ or be able to tell me a bit about any of the Leonards as I'm sure we are all related if we go back far enough.

I would have little doubt you have relations in Rush. The Leonard family are well know in the area and there is still quite a large family living and working locally.

2 Leonard families still fish from Rush pier, lobster fishing and a Leonard family operate the ferry to Lambay Island.

I will send you a pm later in week which will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Interestingly about 19 months ago there was a guy on here from Boston who traced his family back to Rush. They were also fishermen and became quite successful in the Boston area, O'Hara and Daly were the family names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kateoncapecod

I would have little doubt you have relations in Rush. The Leonard family are well know in the area and there is still quite a large family living and working locally.

2 Leonard families still fish from Rush pier, lobster fishing and a Leonard family operate the ferry to Lambay Island.

I will send you a pm later in week which will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Interestingly about 19 months ago there was a guy on here from Boston who traced his family back to Rush. They were also fishermen and became quite successful in the Boston area, O'Hara and Daly were the family names.
    Thank you for responding LeoB. I am not familiar with the O'Hara or Daly families, but if they were in the fishing business in Boston, I am sure they knew my Grandfather and his brothers as they were quite involved with all aspects of the Fish Pier in Boston. I will have to ask my uncles if they remember anyone by those names.
    There were certainly many transplants from Rush involved in the fishing business in Boston. Ellen Leonard Fulham's sister Julia Leonard married a Patrick Herbert of Rush in 1866. They both came to Boston where they help found the the fishing business "Leonard and Herbert" later known as "Fulham and Herbert".
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Best, Kate

tomcaulf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Interesting to come across this site.

Is there a local historical society or family history group in the area? I would be interested in finding out more information about my family.

My great-great-great-grandfather was Plunkett Carey (born c1810 and who lived and died in Rush in 1866). At different stages he was a mariner, Under-Agent for Sir Roger Palmer, postmaster and farmer. He played an active role in helping the survivors of the 'John Tayleur' shipwreck in 1854. See link below

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/johntayleur.html

His first marriage was to Hannah Sanford (1810 to 1847) in 1831. His second marriage in 1848 was to Ellen Booker. He had at least seven children from his first marriage that I am aware of - all born in Rush. Margaret (1832), Sarah (1833), Elizabeth (1836), Francis (1837), Alice (1839), Hannah (1844), James (1846) and possibly a Plunkett. The family were Church Of Ireland. The first three girls and Hannah all emigrated to Victoria in Australia. At this stage I have no idea what happened to the other children. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

One of Margaret's great grandchildren was the wife of John Curtin, Australia's Prime Minister during World War 2.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers,

<mod snip>

Would these Carey's from the 1911 be relatives?
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rush/Rush_Town/5090/

The above mentioned Careys were merchants were Prices Shop(Eurospar) and Echlin Court is located today.

There is an entry in Porters 1912 Guide to Dublin that long troubled me because I couldn't find a mention anywhere else of the surname Crely connected with Rush.

http://www.dublin1850.com/porter1912/page24.html
    Crely, Robert M., Shipowner and General Merchant

I suspect that it was a mistake and Crely should actually read as Carey. The Robert M could be the Robert Monford Carey from the census link.

Loughshinny & Rush Historical Society
    http://www.loughshinnyvillage.com/HistoricalSociety.html

Boards has a pretty good genealogy forum that offers tips and help if you need help tracing family trees.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1288

Another contact that might be able to help you is the Reverend Patrick Comerford who I think among his many duties is still the Vicar for COI Kenure Church.
    http://revpatrickcomerford.blogspot.ie/search/label/Rush

I was going to start a new thread but probably best to keep this together with the History of Rush thread since we seem to be getting quite a few international visitors on this thread lately.

I think this might be an interesting to anyone from Rush or with Rush connections. Using the wonders of Google Streetview and screen capture can anyone link any of the below 1911 house returns with the present locations in the town of Rush?

Census Return for the Town of Rush 1911.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rush/Rush_Town/

So just post the name of Head of Household from 1911 and the link to the census return along with an image of the present location obtained from Google Streetview. Who wants to start us off?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

CR - That's a super idea. Worth a thread of its own. They can be cross-linked to keep the relationship.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Anyone in Rush remember Jimmy Kane or his brother Paddy . They originally lived in Doctors lane not far from the Lambs and practically opposite Willie Christies. . This was back in the fifties and early sixties. There was a sweet shop at the end of Doctors lane on the bend.

Advertisement