Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

Hi Kit M. I am still working on tracing my Leonards from Rush. The community news piece has helped. Please feel free to email me ay <mod snip - no personal email addresses in posts - PM only> and maybe we can be of assistance to one another.
    Best,
    Kate
    PS thanks to all others who have offered assistance! Your help has been gratefully received.

Hey Kateoncapecod,

How are ya doin with your family tree. Anyone give you any helpful info?

LeoB wrote: »
    Dont know if they are documented but I think I know someone who will know so I bump into him over next few days.

Kevin Thorp had a piece on the cottage hospital in Rush community news a while back. I will see if he can send me any details on it and I will post them here.

Good God LeoB,your deadly. Love historical info about Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Anyone heard from the Cardinal recently? There is a man who does good research and posts up great pieces of info

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kit M

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to look at the parish register or are they held here.

Kit M wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to look at the parish register or are they held here.

Contact Fr Coughlan P.P at parochial House Chaple Green Rush. Very friendly man who may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Anyone hear of burial grounds in Rush apart from Whitestown and Kenure?

Rush has 3 current/ recent graveyards, Kenure COI has a burial ground around it but it was only consecrated in 1899.

Information from Return of Expenses incurred by Inspectors General of Police and Resident Magistrates in Ireland, 1830-32

Staffing Levels in Selected Fingal Police Stations in 1830

Rush
    Chief Constable: 0
    Constable: 1
    Sub-Constable: 3
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 4

Lusk
    No listing for Lusk, listing for Ballough

Skerries

Howth
    Constable: 0
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 3

Naul

Malahide
    Sub-Constable: 2

Balbriggan
    Chief Constable: 1
    Sub-Constable: 9
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 10(Chief Constable not included in total count)

Garristown
    Sub-Constable: 4
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 5

Donabate
    Constable: 0
    Sub-Constable: 4

Fieldstown(Rolestown?)

Baldoyle
    Sub-Constable: 6
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 7(Chief Constable not included in total count)

Ballyboghill

Swords
    Constable: 2
    Sub-Constable: 6
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 8(Chief Constable not included in total count)

Ward

Just to show the reputation of the Rush Ling(Lyng) fishing industry throughout Ireland in the early 1800s. 4th paragraph down references it.

Extracts:Commissioners of Irish Fisheries: second report, 1820
    0000003.jpg

Unfornately the report does not give an individual breakdown of Dublin ports beyond Dublin and Balbriggan but you can see the huge volume of Ling landed at the time in the Dublin Fishery as well as the employment levels.
    0000004.jpg?1284778880

Information from Return of Expenses incurred by Inspectors General of Police and Resident Magistrates in Ireland, 1830-32

Staffing Levels in Selected Fingal Police Stations in 1830

Rush

Lusk
    No listing for Lusk, listing for Ballough

Balbriggan
    Sub-Constable: 9
    Total Number of Men at Each Station: 10(Chief Constable not included in total count)

Would this be that the police station would have been linked in someway to the workhouse ran by Balrithery Union at Ballough?

So Balbriggan was biggest station then and is now back to the same position

• Advertisement

Great selection of interviews above Cardinal. I am sure there are some other great stories around. While Rush has lost a few great characters over the last few years there are still a few good ones left who good add some good facts and a bit of humour to Fingal libraries archives.

Anyone remember the Carnival coming to Rush? My earliest memory of these were when they came to Hands lane thats the lane off Main street as you go up to Hickeys chemist. I remember Hudson's carnival up on Sandy Road before you get to Credit Union, where Bayside villas is now built. Looking back that was our entertainment center with the Tideway accross the road. The carnival was there most of the summer and the family who ran it were well liked Paddy and Maud are 2 names I remember from it.

The Tannoy would start about 4pm, Swinging boats, Chair o planes and Super dodgems. Candy floss, toffee apples and treats. It was like a dust bowl on a dry evening but great crack.

In the late 70s we also had a high wire dare devil on a motor bike in the church car park. He rode his bike from one side to the other on a high wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hudson's Carnival, happy days, lots of showing off on the Bumpers, remember it opposite the Tideway OK, and for a few years on Golf links Rd, at the junction of Sandy Hills.

On a real summer day, the centre of attraction was swimming off the back of the harbour. many of the summer visitors, stayed in various, caravans, shacks, and huts off the North Beach, and if the weather, and tide was right the harbour was the place.
    Learning to swim was a few dips at the front, then when you were feeling confident, someone pushed you off the back, literally, sink or swim, most made it out OK.
    The beach in front of the park, was for the day visitors, with the Harbour Bar across the road.
    What was the name of the lady who sold Hot Water, out her living Room window, to the visitors to make tea, great enterprise.

So between the Harbour, Beach,Carnival, Tideway, and Harbour Bar, many liasons were arranged, some, like mine, have survived to this day.
    happy days.

I remember Hudson's carnival up on Sandy Road before you get to Credit Union, where Bayside villas is now built. Looking back that was our entertainment center with the Tideway accross the road. The carnival was there most of the summer and the family who ran it were well liked Paddy and Maud are 2 names I remember from it.

About 5-6 years back a bunch of movie posters came up for auction including some posters from the Savoy Cinema in Rush. Most likely in a private collection somewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

I am hoping that someone out there can help me trace some ancestors from Rush. My 4th great Grandparents were Nicholas Leonard (1784-1868)and Eleanor Kane Leonard (1779-1843) both born and died in Rush. There is a headstone erected to them in Whitestown Cemetery that was erected by their son Christopher Leonard of Boston, Massachusetts. At least 4 of their sons (William, Nicholas, Christopher and Richard) emigrated to Boston, 3 of whom were in the fishing business. Nicholas and Eleanor's granddaughter Ellen Leonard was my great grandmother. She was born in Rush in 1843. She married John Fulham of Portrane at St Maur's in 1864 before emigrating to Boston. I am hopeful that one of the Leonard branches still in Rush might trace their line back to Nicholas and Eleanor and/ or be able to tell me a bit about any of the Leonards as I'm sure we are all related if we go back far enough.
    Hi
    this is just a short account of my Leonard ancestors.My GR Gr Grandparents were John Leonard and Margaret Leonard,nee Madden.They were Grocer's spirit and Ling merchants in 104 Marlborough street dublin in the 1840s 50s and 60s. also a hotel and tavern for a while in 100 Marlborough street.Also during those years first John then when he died in 1862 Margaret were listed as ship owners and merchants in Rush.One of their sons Francis took over the business from his mother and opened business's on the south Circular Rd and Clanbrassill street area of Dublin.To this day it is known as leonards corner.As francis and his wife had no Children the Business's were sold in the early 20th century.They Died in 1913 and 1914.

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi
    this is just a short account of my Leonard ancestors.My GR Gr Grandparents were John Leonard and Margaret Leonard,nee Madden.They were Grocer's spirit and Ling merchants in 104 Marlborough street dublin in the 1840s 50s and 60s. also a hotel and tavern for a while in 100 Marlborough street.Also during those years first John then when he died in 1862 Margaret were listed as ship owners and merchants in Rush.One of their sons Francis took over the business from his mother and opened business's on the south Circular Rd and Clanbrassill street area of Dublin.To this day it is known as leonards corner.As francis and his wife had no Children the Business's were sold in the early 20th century.They Died in 1913 and 1914.

Hey,Howa Doin,
    in Rush
    there was a John Leonard born 1800 also 1813,1819,1821,1822.

Hi

I am sure the Leonards in the Bawn are related to you some way.

I remember a Francis Leonard from the Bawn who drowned at Rush harbour around 1968/69/70. H e was about 14- 15 years of age. Its actually one of the first memories I have of the pier. His father was Joser Joseph and his mother was Sheila. His siblings were Gerry, Greg, Paul Joseph, James and Ken. Not sure if there was a sister.As far as I know they are all in America except Gerry and Greg who is doing up the home place at the moment. Gerry aka strangler is a ships pilot or something like that and I think is based in Canada. Greg was a great footballer in his youth. James aka Brano was a great charachter, full of devilment, a great crack as a child. He is I think either in Boston or Canada They all done well and very nice lads.

Thank you for that information LeoB and Pacj. It is a long time since i was in Rush I must make it my business to go there soon.Another connection with Rush are Rickards.My Gr Gr Gr Granfather Francis william Madden who is on the cert as a Grocer from Francis street Dublin Married Margaret Rickard on the 1st of Dec 1800 in Rush.one of their children James Patrick Madden was a Solictor who had practices in Osberstown and 87 Talbot street Dublin.In the 1850s a William Leonard was the Harbour master im not sure if he was related.Thank you again for the information,I must study it and digest it all.

Spoke to one of the Leonard's today. They can trace themselves back to 13/14th century in Rush. He knew about Leonard's corner and had other snippets like 20 Irish boats fishing in France in 1800, 6 of them were from Rush and some were Leonard's.

Am printing off some of what has been posted here and will give it to him during the week with a few questions and see if he comes back with anything.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that information LeoB and Pacj. It is a long time since i was in Rush I must make it my business to go there soon.Another connection with Rush are Rickards.My Gr Gr Gr Granfather Francis william Madden who is on the cert as a Grocer from Francis street Dublin Married Margaret Rickard on the 1st of Dec 1800 in Rush.one of their children James Patrick Madden was a Solictor who had practices in Osberstown and 87 Talbot street Dublin.In the 1850s a William Leonard was the Harbour master im not sure if he was related.Thank you again for the information,I must study it and digest it all.

a Mary Rickard married Nicholas Leonard in 1808, might be some relation.

Thanks Leob for that information very interesting.I did not realise that fishing boats went that far from Rush.It will be interesting to hear more of your friends recollections.Thank you Pacj for the information on Mary Rickard,I have just searched and found the cert on roots ireland.I have read that Rush was famous during the 19th century for its Ling,which may explain why the Leonards were Wholesale ling Merchants in Marlborough street which was not far from the Railway station which would have made it handy for transport.I am assuming that rush had a railway station in the mid 19th century. Thank you for the Information.

Back in 17th / 18th Century Rickard's owned two valuable houses in Rush.

Whitestown House had a view right down Rogerstown Estuary and a house at the harbour at the other end of Rush which had a panoramic view of Irish sea from beyond Drummanagh up to Howth.

Pirates were mentioned in the chat I had yesterday with a member of Leonard family.

Thanks for that LeoB.I like the Pirates thing, maybe other seafarers would have other idea's.It seems some of my ancestors could have had a nice lifestyle.It is great to get all these bits and pieces they eventually lead to more information.Thanks again.

Thanks Leob for that information very interesting.I did not realise that fishing boats went that far from Rush.It will be interesting to hear more of your friends recollections.Thank you Pacj for the information on Mary Rickard,I have just searched and found the cert on roots ireland.I have read that Rush was famous during the 19th century for its Ling,which may explain why the Leonards were Wholesale ling Merchants in Marlborough street which was not far from the Railway station which would have made it handy for transport.I am assuming that rush had a railway station in the mid 19th century. Thank you for the Information.

You would be correct, the station opened on the 25th May of 1844 when the railway line from Dublin to Drogheda opened. But I wouldn't rule out the horse and cart from Rush to Dublin since that was the way most vegetables were transported from Rush and Ling was dried and salted and stored in barrels.

Thank you for that Cardinal,they certainly got the Railway's opened up quick back then.I imagine nowadays it would take much longer.

Hi Pacj.Just got the Baptism cert of John Leonard dated 26-april-1800. That seems to be my Gr Gr Grandfathers.It fits in with his age when he died plus the Rickard connection is there.thanks for that

Hi Pacj.Just got the Baptism cert of John Leonard dated 26-april-1800. That seems to be my Gr Gr Grandfathers.It fits in with his age when he died plus the Rickard connection is there.thanks for that

I had done and still doing research on my own ancestors (Leonards),and I remembered the name John leonard you mentioned.
    There was a John born to John Leonard and Bridget Connor,my ancesters.
    John & Bridget had 6 sons that I know, I think there was a 7th. There are
    plenty of the John/Bridget line in Rush. Also see an earlier quote from Kateoncapecod.

Hi Pacj
    we could be related,My john Leonards Parents were almost certainly John Leonard and Bridget Connor.I have managed to find siblings William 1793 Thomas 1789 Nicholas 1787.A few more to find.William leonard had some well known Descendants,including a silver medalist at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin Charles Frederick Leonard junior in the Pentathlon.You probably have all that information.My Niece lives in Donabate and was in rush last Saturday taking her Daughter to i Think Gymnastics.She went to the graveyard and was checking out some of the Leonard graves.she found a few which could have been relatives.She also noted that a lot of Leonards had great longevity.Thanks again for the Information.

• Advertisement

Hi Pacj
    we could be related,My john Leonards Parents were almost certainly John Leonard and Bridget Connor.I have managed to find siblings William 1793 Thomas 1789 Nicholas 1787.A few more to find.William leonard had some well known Descendants,including a silver medalist at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin Charles Frederick Leonard junior in the Pentathlon.You probably have all that information.My Niece lives in Donabate and was in rush last Saturday taking her Daughter to i Think Gymnastics.She went to the graveyard and was checking out some of the Leonard graves.she found a few which could have been relatives.She also noted that a lot of Leonards had great longevity.Thanks again for the Information.

If she takes her daughter to DP Gymnastics she is parked beside Leonard's farm, its at the gable end of the DP Gymnastics building and the green house across the road is another Leonard family. If she drove down the Bawn Road which is where she would turn there are about 8 families of Leonards and I told 2 of them about this thread.

Of the names you mention above I spoke to Tommy Leonard about this thread and I know a Nicholas and William Leonard quite well also. I have no doubt you are related.

Advertisement