Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kit M

Ta Hill Billy for reply. I,m new to boards,just came across this by chance.
    Ya,tried a few places but stuck at 1816 to 1830 for Leonards. Think I'm missing a name.
    Just seen Kateoncapecod,s post and I think were on the same trail.
    Maybe she will see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Kit M wrote: »
    Ta Hill Billy for reply. I,m new to boards,just came across this by chance.
    Ya,tried a few places but stuck at 1816 to 1830 for Leonards. Think I'm missing a name.
    Just seen Kateoncapecod,s post and I think were on the same trail.
    Maybe she will see this.

This months Community news has a request from Kateoncapecod so I would be suprised if there is not some headway made on this family in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kateoncapecod

Hi Kit M. I am still working on tracing my Leonards from Rush. The community news piece has helped. Please feel free to email me ay <mod snip - no personal email addresses in posts - PM only> and maybe we can be of assistance to one another.
    Best,
    Kate
    PS thanks to all others who have offered assistance! Your help has been gratefully received.

Hi Kit M. I am still working on tracing my Leonards from Rush. The community news piece has helped. Please feel free to email me ay <mod snip - no personal email addresses in posts - PM only> and maybe we can be of assistance to one another.
    Best,
    Kate
    PS thanks to all others who have offered assistance! Your help has been gratefully received.

I sent a private message, let me know if you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kateoncapecod

Kit,

I did get your message and we do appear to be on the same trail.

• Advertisement

I sent a private message, let me know if you got it.
    Kit,

I did get your message and we do appear to be on the same trail.

Hope you are successful. Keep us posted.

LeoB wrote: »
    Hope you are successful. Keep us posted.

Ya, been on to Kate. Exchanging info. Looks like we have the same ancesters.
    This all down to my good luck at opening up and joining Boards a couple of weeks ago, I'm still learning about it.
    I also looked at History of Rush in photos. love old b&w photos.

Ya, been on to Kate. Exchanging info. Looks like we have the same ancesters.
    This all down to my good luck at opening up and joining Boards a couple of weeks ago, I'm still learning about it.
    I also looked at History of Rush in photos. love old b&w photos.

Boards is a great spot for reading up on local issues and keeping in touch with what is going on in North county Dublin. There are some very helpful people around and seldom will a pst go by without a few replies.

Boards is a great spot for reading up on local issues and keeping in touch with what is going on in North county Dublin. There are some very helpful people around and seldom will a pst go by without a few replies.

One Sunday night in or about 1950s, 6 men were playing cards (25s or spoil 15) in the tap room at the back of the bar in St Lawrences Pub,Rush. Shortly after a new barrel of porter was connected one complained that his pint was bad and a couple of others agreed with him. The barrell was disconnected and rolled into the tap room and put on its side under the seat where the man who complained was sitting. A new barrell was connected and all 6 were given fresh pints. The barrell was of the old wooden type with a wooden bung. The card game continued and the man noticed the wooden bung was'nt fully tight and he could take it out easily enough. When the pints were about half gone he took out the bung rolled the barrell forward a bit and topped up the pints when each was about half gone.Never letting a glass get empty and never filling the glasses to the top. Whenever the barman came into the room nobody was ever ready for a pint or did'nt want any because the porter did'nt taste good. At the end of the night as they were "merrily" leaving the barmen said he get the bad porter replaced and apologised. A good night was had by all.

A true story as told to me by 3 of the six who were there,sadly now all passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Any progress on the Lamb{e} history , Do know they are related to the Bollards.

• Advertisement

One Sunday night in or about 1950s, 6 men were playing cards (25s or spoil 15) in the tap room at the back of the bar in St Lawrences Pub,Rush. Shortly after a new barrel of porter was connected one complained that his pint was bad and a couple of others agreed with him. The barrell was disconnected and rolled into the tap room and put on its side under the seat where the man who complained was sitting. A new barrell was connected and all 6 were given fresh pints. The barrell was of the old wooden type with a wooden bung. The card game continued and the man noticed the wooden bung was'nt fully tight and he could take it out easily enough. When the pints were about half gone he took out the bung rolled the barrell forward a bit and topped up the pints when each was about half gone.Never letting a glass get empty and never filling the glasses to the top. Whenever the barman came into the room nobody was ever ready for a pint or did'nt want any because the porter did'nt taste good. At the end of the night as they were "merrily" leaving the barmen said he get the bad porter replaced and apologised. A good night was had by all.

A true story as told to me by 3 of the six who were there,sadly now all passed away.

Didnt hear that particular story but knowing one of them very well It does not surprise me. Unfortunately my father (one of the 6) died when I was just 11 so I never really got to see that side of him. But I do remember him being funny

One night he was in the harbour bar with a certain Kerryman. There was a bit of crack going, few songs and a few yarns when they were joined by a yank. A few locals got tired of buying him pints so my father said this man is from Kerry and he never met a American before and the one thing he would like is for an American to buy a round. The visitor called for a round which was put up and everyone in the snug had a pint on the yank who departed soon after. The Kerryman tells me that every time I meet him. There are other great stories but I could not possibly put them up here as too many are still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreenLady

I remember the same story being told to me by more than one of those who were there. The odd think is that I also knew people who were there when the same thing happened in Donegal, Louth, Yorkshire, Norfolk and Essex on dates which began as early as before the first World War. Not always porter of course - in Yorkshire it was bitter and in Norfolk and Essex it was ale. In each place there was more than one person who swore to being there - indeed there were nearly a dozen of them in Essex where it "happened" in the 30s at the Black Boy (nowadays politically correct as the Black Buoy). Had one of the worst meals of my life there a couple of years back, topped off by a landlord who was a dead ringer for Basil Fawlty and abused the customers for complaining. I'm told it has since improved - it must have since it hasn't closed :-)

GreenLady wrote: »
    I remember the same story being told to me by more than one of those who were there. The odd think is that I also knew people who were there when the same thing happened in Donegal, Louth, Yorkshire, Norfolk and Essex on dates which began as early as before the first World War. Not always porter of course - in Yorkshire it was bitter and in Norfolk and Essex it was ale. In each place there was more than one person who swore to being there - indeed there were nearly a dozen of them in Essex where it "happened" in the 30s at the Black Boy (nowadays politically correct as the Black Buoy). Had one of the worst meals of my life there a couple of years back, topped off by a landlord who was a dead ringer for Basil Fawlty and abused the customers for complaining. I'm told it has since improved - it must have since it hasn't closed :-)

Strange post..:confused: Are you saying the account by Kit M didnt happen?

Strange post..:confused: Are you saying the account by Kit M didnt happen?
    Well I haven't looked for it on Snopes but when a story seems to repeat itself like that you do have to wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'll have to agree with GreenLady on this one. Via work, I've lived in four different parts of Ireland in the past 25 years and have heard that story in two of them.

I've also heard several other similar type incidents which are retold by those who assume that they are unique to their area.

There is also a story which does the rounds in my current work location which everyone finds hilarious. Strangely, I've been regaled with the exact same story (under different names) in the other three locations around the country where I've worked!

I'll have to agree with GreenLady on this one. Via work, I've lived in four different parts of Ireland in the past 25 years and have heard that story in two of them.

Actually there is one thing about KitM's version of the story that is slightly different from the usual. What often distinguishes this particular story from other urban legends such as the ghost hitchhiker is that the storyteller normally says they were there when the event took place, but KitM is telling it at second hand. Most of the other stories of this type happened to the tellers friends or relations. I've only ever met one person who actually picked up the ghost hitchhiker themselves - and he told it to us as he drove us along having picked us up as hitchhikers. Husband reminds me that the first time we were told the "bad beer" story we were actually told it by a pub landlord who said he was the person who had been conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Anyone remember the layout of the old '' Fingal Cave'' ( I know this thread is Rush, but I am sure some Rush residents know this ).

Well in the lounge the taps were at the far end of the counter, and the door to the Bar, at the other end.

So you could order a pint, and casually refill, while the bar-man was busy in the Bar, only Ale or Beer mind you, did'nt work with Guinness,

many an afternoon I spent there, and only had to buy a couple of pints.

And yes, I was there.

Tut tut!

I'm certainly not arguing with that one

kathryn

martinn123 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the layout of the old '' Fingal Cave'' ( I know this thread is Rush, but I am sure some Rush residents know this ).

Well in the lounge the taps were at the far end of the counter, and the door to the Bar, at the other end.

So you could order a pint, and casually refill, while the bar-man was busy in the Bar, only Ale or Beer mind you, did'nt work with Guinness,

many an afternoon I spent there, and only had to buy a couple of pints.

And yes, I was there.

Similar happened in a few pubs in Rush especially if there was one barman and a delivery came where he had to go out and open the side gate.

Greenlady Iv heard many different stories and some I would take with a pinch of salt but knowing some of the characters around here as Im sure you do I would not be surprised at all.

It's a bit like the story of the Guards raiding the Pub after hours, where a Govt Minister was having a late pint.

''Do you want a Pint or a transfer Guard''

Regular tale around Fingal, where Rambo, John Boland, and a few others were involved.

Personally I was there when John Boland was involved;)

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    It's a bit like the story of the Guards raiding the Pub after hours, where a Govt Minister was having a late pint.

''Do you want a Pint or a transfer Guard'
    That story is regularly referred to in the media but always incorrectly reported that the Garda was asked if he wanted "a pint or a transfer".

I'm open to correction on some detail but the story centers on the late Sean Doherty, Fianna Fail TD,( from Boyle, Co Roscommon) and later Minister for Justice.

In 1982 in the midst of the 3rd general election in 18 months, a group of canvassers for Doherty gathered for a meeting in a pub in Boyle. Doherty attended the meeting but subsequently left. The meeting went on for a long time and a Garda called to the pub after 2am and found a group inside and took their names. Sean Doherty was subsequently elected as a TD and appointed Minister for Justice by Taoiseach, CJ Haughey. The publican suspected that the raid had been orchestrated by political opponents to embarrass Doherty (as it was his 'local') and sough his help in dropping the case. When he became Minister, Doherty sought to have the matter dropped but the Garda in question wasn't for turning. It is then alleged that Doherty then used his position to attempt to influence AGS top brass and have the Garda transferred to another area.

As far as I know, he wasn't successful but the story took off from there. Doherty was not present during the raid and even if he was, he hadn't been made Minister at that stage. The Garda in question was never given the choice of "a pint or a transfer" but why let the truth get in the way of a good story. :)

Another story doing the rounds, is that a new sargeant arrived in Balbriggan Station who was not too popular.
    One night he decided to raid a Pub frequented by Gardai, accompanied by a junior Guard.

On hearing the knock on the door at 1am, 20 gardai who were having a ''lock in'' ran into the jacks

The Sargeant ordered the Junior to search the toilets, and when he opened the door he was met by colleagues, some quite senior, who had their finger to their mouth stating ''shushhh'

A shout from the Sargeant, demanded ''anyone there Guard'' to which he replied ''NO SIR''

The young guard did not have to buy a drink for quite a while after that night.

I have no reason not to believe the 3 people who told me. 3 of them told me the same story on different occasions and told me the same names of those who were there. The details were the same each time. I knew the 6 people and I sent LeoB 4 names privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

I have no reason not to believe the 3 people who told me. 3 of them told me the same story on different occasions and told me the same names of those who were there. The details were the same each time. I knew the 6 people and I sent LeoB 4 names privately.

Hey Kit M ,just joined but been following boards for long time. Your story is the same as that told to me by two men from Ballykea. Wonder if its the same people. The four others were from Rush, one of whom moved to Dublin. All now deceased, the last 5 or 6 years ago. I remember the tap room in the pub well.
    Do'nt know why it was called the tap room,there were no taps in there.

I see there are some doubters,wonder why!

Anyone hear of burial grounds in Rush apart from Whitestown and Kenure?

Heard many years ago there are a few graves at Upper Main St junction with Sandy Road. I was reminded of this on a trip to Balrothery workhouse last Sunday week

An official from FCC told me one time that there are/were 6 or 7 in Rush.
    LeoB wrote:
    Heard many years ago there are a few graves at Upper Main St junction with Sandy Road
    Do you mean Main St/Channel Rd? There's supposed to be a few there alright in the vicinity of the rear of the bookies.

There is also St Catherine's.

I can't recall the others now.

Heard many years ago there are a few graves at Upper Main St junction with Sandy Road. I was reminded of this on a trip to Balrothery workhouse last Sunday week

Many very young children died from cholera and small pox in the 1800s and early 1900s. My Grandfather, long since dead, said he knew of a couple of familys who buried a baby in their back gardens. He lived on the Sandy Road. I do'nt think the famine had much of an impact on Rush in the way of deaths.

Do you mean Main St/Channel Rd? There's supposed to be a few there alright in the vicinity of the rear of the bookies..
    No thats the one that came to mind at the gable of Paddy Powers. Heard there was a number of graves there.
    Pacj wrote: »
    Many very young children died from cholera and small pox in the 1800s and early 1900s. My Grandfather, long since dead, said he knew of a couple of familys who buried a baby in their back gardens. He lived on the Sandy Road. I do'nt think the famine had much of an impact on Rush in the way of deaths.

The famine didnt have much impact here but cholera caused a lot of deaths. Did the cottage hospital spring from that? The cottage hospital is the 3 story house beside Dalmac on Lr Main Street. Iv heard of infants being buried in gardens ok and I think that was widespread. But the Sandy Road angle looks to be fairly spot on.

No thats the one that came to mind at the gable of Paddy Powers. Heard there was a number of graves there.

The famine didnt have much impact here but cholera caused a lot of deaths. Did the cottage hospital spring from that? The cottage hospital is the 3 story house beside Dalmac on Lr Main Street. Iv heard of infants being buried in gardens ok and I think that was widespread. But the Sandy Road angle looks to be fairly spot on.

It ceased being a hospital before my time. I remember Ennis's
    shop just to the left.
    Are the buriels you mentioned documented anywhere or just hearsay.

• Advertisement

Dont know if they are documented but I think I know someone who will know so I bump into him over next few days.

Kevin Thorp had a piece on the cottage hospital in Rush community news a while back. I will see if he can send me any details on it and I will post them here.

Advertisement