Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Surely Bennett is worth putting in the Tour after his win today. Such a pity he isn't getting the chance. Would be great to have someone to shout for on the flat days and not just Dan Martin on GC days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

patsman07 wrote: »
    Surely Bennett is worth putting in the Tour after his win today. Such a pity he isn't getting the chance. Would be great to have someone to shout for on the flat days and not just Dan Martin on GC days.

Unfortunately, Sagan has that tied up. Really disappointed that he is not at the Giro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

Unfortunately, Sagan has that tied up. Really disappointed that he is not at the Giro though.

There was hype that Sam was getting bumped by German Sprinters on the Bora team in 2019. Who are they? What’s their credentials? Is Sam scheduled for any of the Classics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Raymzor wrote: »
    There was hype that Sam was getting bumped by German Sprinters on the Bora team in 2019. Who are they? What’s their credentials? Is Sam scheduled for any of the Classics?

No Hype, Ackermann is getting the Giro. His palmares is here - talks that Sam was getting MSR but that's still unknown as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Surely he'll get the nod for the Vuelta so? This year doesn't have as many insane mountain stages and the last week has 3 flat stages iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Surely he'll get the nod for the Vuelta so? This year doesn't have as many insane mountain stages and the last week has 3 flat stages iirc

I thought I read somewhere that Sagan is also likely for that. Sagan will always gets whatever he wants with them.

Bambaata wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that Sagan is also likely for that. Sagan will always gets whatever he wants with them.

Sagan has normally used the Vuelta as prep for the Worlds. If this isn't a focus for him anymore he might not do it. There was lots of talk of him doing Giro/Tour as RCS were waving lots of cash in his face, but there's a Tour of California clash.

Mightn't seem a major thing, but Spesh are a major backer of his and want him stateside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Junior wrote: »
    Mightn't seem a major thing, but Spesh are a major backer of his and want him stateside.

They are paying his wages so if thats where they want him, that is where he will be. For the wages he is getting, he would be a fool to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

CramCycle wrote: »
    They are paying his wages so if thats where they want him, that is where he will be. For the wages he is getting, he would be a fool to do anything else.

Its not what is,its what is best ...The debate is that they need to send him where he will win with the most prestige ...hence the Giro or the Tour ...Its not just about wages where he can possible get alot more at another team and win GT stages

You sound like the kind of guy who dampens every debate with a quote from the University of the Bleeding Obvious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Daroxtar wrote: »

His contract is up this year so he is very likely to switch teams. If he does that he is very unlikely to ride the Vuelta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Its not what is,its what is best ...The debate is that they need to send him where he will win with the most prestige ...hence the Giro or the Tour ...Its not just about wages where he can possible get alot more at another team and win GT stages

You sound like the kind of guy who dampens every debate with a quote from the University of the Bleeding Obvious :D

I am talking about Sagan, not Bennet. Sagan is pretty much paid a huge sum directly out of Specializes pocket.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am talking about Sagan, not Bennet. Sagan is pretty much paid a huge sum directly out of Specializes pocket.

Oops Sorry :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Such a sexist comment...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Such a sexist comment...

Touche :D:D:D:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Such a sexist comment...
    And you sound like the sort of guy/gal living off past glories

Up the Munchen!

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

German company backing an up and coming German sprinter in a prestigious GC is likely what's best for them and that's what they're going with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

<Snip>

Keep spoilers to the race thread for a while at least!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    And you sound like the sort of guy/gal living off past glories

Up the Munchen!

:pac:

3:1 to the Good Guys and
    2 for the Sam

Weepsie wrote: »
    German company backing an up and coming German sprinter in a prestigious GC is likely what's best for them and that's what they're going with

Just on that, Denk is very aware of ROI and engagement with his home audience. Although I think it maybe a little short sighted, I think he needs to look beyond national borders.

This is a good piece on how he sees sponsorship - https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/6122/the-changing-face-of-pro-cycling-team-sponsorship

It looks like that even if Ackermann just places in stages it's somewhat more valuable than a win from Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Sam and Pete are on the squad for MSR this Saturday, so we'll see the support strategy there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sam Bennett out with upper-body injury :eek:

Just a bit of Friday fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Typical "Funny Friday" joke - Not Funny
    Sam Bennett out with upper-body injury :eek:

Just a bit of Friday fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

You fu*ker - got me there and I just after backing him :D

9/1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Happy to see him get back to WT, I'm sure the loss will be felt at Evo

Sam down for Turkey next week. Forgot they moved that race back to April. It's a different route now too if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sam down for Turkey next week. Forgot they moved that race back to April. It's a different route now too if I recall.

was wondering why he wasnt doing the basque country or classics. Actually would have thought Flanders & Paris Roubaix would suit him or at at least to help Sagan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I see this was made possible by Peter Kennaughs departure, im sure Sam Bennett made it well known how good a lead out man Archibold is to his success, they work well together.

Remember seeing Archibold rip up the 2011 ras a class act.

• Advertisement

Was thinking given Ackermann's lack of results though he didn't look bad in recent weeks Sam would make a case for a Giro ride in Turkey but it looks like the move back to April hasn't exactly attracted a stellar field. There is no way they can or should keep WT status for this race with this start list https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-turkey/2019/startlist Only 6 WT teams down to ride.

Advertisement