Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

Sam was 3rd in terms of the top 10 sprinter this year according to cycling news.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/top-10-sprinters-of-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Sam was 3rd in terms of the top 10 sprinter this year according to cycling news.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/top-10-sprinters-of-2018/

According to their measurement criteria which was volume based. Was obvious in the Giro though that he was the faster man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

According to their measurement criteria which was volume based. Was obvious in the Giro though that he was the faster man.

How so? Viviani won more stages in the same Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Viviani was the faster sprinter when it was a clear head to head battle against Sam in the Giro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Viviani was the faster sprinter when it was a clear head to head battle against Sam in the Giro

I would have said it was the other way round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭Thud

What happened to Kittel this year, not even in the honorable mentions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Me too. Quick step tactically disrupted Sam on any head to heads Viviani won is my recollection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

If Sam had the Quick-step lead-out train he'd have won as much if not more than Viviani.
    I'd have fancied him to win the green jersey in the Tour as well if given the opportunity.
    Definitely not biased because he's Irish :D

Some first world troubles for Sam :pac:

https://twitter.com/Sammmy_Be/status/1060064929707741184

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd have good money Sam leaves Bora at the end of next season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Disgraceful actions by Bora, simply disgraceful.

I wonder if he'd have been better off trying to get out of his contract. His programme was fairly limited since the Giro, and despite his stage wins there, Ackerman has racked up more points and is ranked 25th to Bennett's 53rd for the year. This is simply down to racing a hell of a lot more.

That said, he'd want to have had something lined up, though I imagine any number of teams would want him if available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Teams always like a sprinter who can win big races, trek look a good match to me ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

RobFowl wrote: »
    Disgraceful actions by Bora, simply disgraceful.

Hard not to notice his omissions from the public stuff at the camp:

https://twitter.com/BORAhansgrohe/status/1072402824758288384

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Have heard of some talk recently about him going to Bahrain Merida . Anywhere else in the ProTour would be a better spot for him than Bora right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Very disappointing news, to be honest it is also possible he will not ride the vuelta either as I expect he will have signed with another team for 2020 at that stage and cycling has a long history of riders race program being curtailed heavily after announcing their departure. He will almost certainly be getting a lesser sprint train for most of the season.

Anyway without the Giro to worry about he can focus on his big goal for the year, to tour of turkey which has been moved to late april next year. Realistically it will be interesting to see his race program especially if he is more active in the non-sagan spring races. Sagan has already made clear his intention for Milan - San Remo , a race I think Sam could win one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

A pity Aquablue didn't hang about for another year, in some ways they'd be perfect for each other.
    It's a strange one from Bora, Ackermann probably would've been happy with the Vuelta and Sam would be happy with Giro. They could then play the two off against each other for contracts and motivation. Now they've one peed off sprinter and one sprinter who'll surely want pay rises, parity with Sagan. Maybe Ackermann is really really good to be fair, hard to know at the moment.

A pity Aquablue didn't hang about for another year, in some ways they'd be perfect for each other.

He wouldn't have been going to a GT with them either

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    He wouldn't have been going to a GT with them either

Well, he'd be depending on the boul Rickie's diplomatic skills, but he'd have a great chance to get to the Tour even. The GTs would like to see a bit of a fight for their sprint stages and points jerseys and they'd be happy to have a wildcard team fully supporting a strong rider to spice up the minor classifications. That would've been the basis behind Coquard's plan with his new team this year - although admittedly the ASO didn't play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bennett would have been far too good for Aquablue.

Trek as mentioned earlier is a eye catching move, looks the best set up for him.

Not really, he'd just be the undisputed leader on flat stages. You could make a reasonable train of the riders they had there with one or two others. They'd be invited to plenty of WT races, certainly as many as Sam got to race for Bora this year if they managed to get a GT.
    Trek have Porte, Mollema for GC in GTs and Degenkolb, Van Poppel, Felline and Nizzolo as fast men. They're chock a block for the classics. Sam would be their fastest but it wouldn't be straight leadership role at all for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

It's extremely unlikely that he will ride the Vuelta if his contract is expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You never know how the year will play out. Injuries and lack of form play a huge part in team selection.

Jaysus lads, what did Sam ever do to yis that you would wish Aquablue on the poor lad......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is transfer season still open if he could get a release from his contract?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    Is transfer season still open if he could get a release from his contract?

I doubt there are any free sports left

godtabh wrote: »
    I doubt there are any free spots left

There are always free spots for the right rider !

He'd look good on a trek....

Also a Colnago

Maybe a Cannondale

Dunno about a Pinarello tho, those bendy forks wreck my nut....

• Advertisement

Both Sam and Sagan down to ride Vuelta a San Juan in Argentina next week. Interesting to see what Sam's role will be here. Could be a sign for his season ahead.

Think Eurosport are covering this around 9:30pm from Monday.

Advertisement